[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/adv/ - Advice

Name
Options
Subject
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • AdBlock users: The default ruleset blocks images on /adv/. You must disable AdBlock to browse /adv/ properly.
  • Are you in crisis? Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at +1 (800) 273-8255.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]


Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!


[Advertise on 4chan]

[Catalog] [Archive]

Around November was the time our relationship started getting sour. She would give me no communication for days on end, and I would make sure I did everything to make her feel comfortable. I knew she was going through a tough time mentally, and I wanted to be there for her the best I could.

I ended up admitting myself to the psych ward for severe depression after she came clean and told me about how she couldn’t be with me, after toying with my emotions for such a long time. It was nerve wrecking, and she posed herself to be a person who had been taken advantage of in the past. It is completely not true, she has a way of abusing others.
>>
Run and don't look back. This isn't your fault, she more than likely has BPD.
>>
Get away from her
>>
>>28225770
Kill her and claim her skull for the skull throne

File: ber.png (235 KB, 654x662)
235 KB
235 KB PNG
I used to have a passion for mathematics, but my PhD experience was traumatizing. My advisor gave me poor advice that led to the failure of my research project, and my research papers were criticized and rejected by nearly everyone except my advisor who claimed to have a very positive opinion of his topic. One professor even told me to my face that I should have known better than to work on this project. The aftermath of my PhD made it difficult for me to find employment in mathematics and resulted in financial loss for my family. My mental health was severely impacted.

Recently, my advisor hinted that he may have been incorrect in his assessment of my project, and that I had potential as a student. However, this only fuels my bitterness. Some people tell me to get over it and move on, but I find it hard to move past my trauma and rekindle my love for math.

Is it justified to have an aversion towards a subject due to a traumatic experience?
>>
Man that really sucks. Sounds like you got led astray. Not sure what you can do about it now, but moving forward is the only direction to go.

> bullied as a kid (unironically healthy for mental development)
> never developed “proper” social skills
> go to uni
> join neighborhood ultimate frisbee group because I thought the girl there was cute
> get LOTS OF disrespect by senior members
> whatever, don’t care, cute girl is always there
> learn some social skills along the way
> feel like I made new friends?
> continued disrespect, so decide to diss some back
> ultimate frisbee group is also /pol/ circlejerk, but when I make the tiniest reference I get daggers
> have a feeling group members hate me because of these reasons
> feeling confirmed by senior members who decide to boot me

I may have burned a bridge with her. But looking back, it was the journey, not the endgame. I learned more social skills during my short stay with them than I ever did before uni. I also have just started hanging out with the local fishing group (no ulterior motive, just want something to do on weekends other than vidya) since making backups has become the standard for me.


Comment too long. Click here to view the full text.
2 replies omitted. Click here to view.
>>
>>28225834
> bullied as a kid (unironically healthy for mental development)
What?
>>
>>28225992
Think about it. With constant coddling and no reprimands, you get the stereotyped twitter / reddit user, breaking apart at the slightest jab at your character.

> But OP, stereotypes don’t exist!

Yeah they do. That’s why the call it “stereotypes,” it’s literally because there are so many of them to even quantify.

In regards to bullying, it builds character. You learn to not sweat the small stuff. And because hindsight is 20/20, you realize it was just but a fleeting moment in your life (Can you remember what happened in the weeks approaching spring break during 2nd grade? No? Thought so.)

Pic related, case in point.
>>
>>28226016
It's called stereotype because it's taking a thing and putting it into one of two categories. For example, "Fat people are lazy." Either people are lazy or they're not, and I think fat people are lazy. That's stereotypy.

I think some ribbing and pranking from your peers can be good fun but you don't want anyone being overly sadistic or teaming up on you. Generally it's good to have the social skills to defuse tense confrontations and stop them before they ever occur. I noticed in school people who got bullied and targeted often lacked this social ability to defuse the situation.
>>
>>28226034
> I noticed in school people who got bullied and targeted often lacked this social ability to defuse the situation.

How else should one learn? Unsupervised on an iPad all day? That isn’t healthy. Physical harm from the instigator should be condemned no matter what, I agree. But these jabs need to be normalized so that everyone learns a little humility.
>>
>>28226052
Oh. I guess the kind of light bullying you're talking about is more like banter or talking shit. I associate the word "bullying" with a serious hardship, something that crosses well over socially acceptable bounds and violates a person's rights.

File: 1672795437219214.jpg (186 KB, 577x693)
186 KB
186 KB JPG
HTGWG is by men, for men, about women. Anything related to getting (and dealing with) women goes here. All anons are welcome to ask questions from more experienced anons, share experiences, get a second opinion, and give updates on advice received. It doesn't matter what you're struggling with, we know how hard it can be, we got you brah.

>Topics discussed:
●Approaching
●Dating apps and texting
●Having sex and getting to that point
●Reading signals
●Getting and maintaining gf
●Etc

>READ THIS NEW POSTERS:
New posters are encouraged to share their latest experience with women, be it an attempt to approach, a date, a cute girl from school, or just a girl you saw somewhere and thought was cute, but hesitated to go and talk to her. Also read the FAQ before asking questions.

>HOW TO ASK FOR ADVICE:
Reminder that context is important. If you're asking for advice don't just ask 'This girl ghosted me, why?', we can't understand what your situation is like. Try to help other anons understand so they can help you, add as much (useful) context as possible:

Comment too long. Click here to view the full text.
285 replies and 20 images omitted. Click here to view.
>>
>>28225756
Join clubs
>>
>>28225776
I have, it's all guys. And I hate dating apps.
>>
>date #5
>see open mic, I get there earlier because she takes forever to get ready and I want to see musicians play
>she arrives, I note that this guy isn't that great at singing
>we go see live music for a few hrs
>she's grinding on me all night
>mention one of the singers sang out of tune in one song
>she's hungry, grabs me into a pizza place full of early 20s kids, I don't want to be there
>get pizza, get her a seat
>shes lactose intolerant and pulls the cheese off her pizza
>I comment "oh she's cuckoo" for doing that btw it's the 5th date, I know her illness and have been buying her meals
>leave the pizza place and she's all quiet and I ask what's up, she's mad at me because I'm "so critical about people" and she's not sure if Im serious when I direct it towards her. I was mean to the guy at the open mic and the live music (I paid our cover for and every drink she fuck and got her water what the fuck do you think I've been dating her to wait for moment to insult her? ). But I'm so judgemental according to her it makes her feel bad when I do things like call her cuckoo about pizza, even though I tried to find a fork for her because she's lactose intolerant and I know this, I'm just soo judgemental and it makes her sad.
Idk what the fuck this shit is. She offered to drive me home but I said I'm not in the mood for it. I told her this feels like we're breaking up and that sucks but she asked me to text her when I got home abloo. also she jokes around a ton, saying stuff like she'll never talk to me again etc jokingly and I take it on the chin) but I can't say, after 5 drinks, "oh you're crazy" what the fuck?
>>
File: 1668301787860867.png (247 KB, 588x682)
247 KB
247 KB PNG
>>28208398
>leaves me on read twice and stops viewing my posts so i stop contacting her
>see her weeks later at the club and have a long friendly chat, she gives me weed and says to text her
Why
>>
>>28209172
Some do because they get free meals/drinks/other favours.
Some do it to avvoid hurting you.

File: 1674959946417500.jpg (109 KB, 904x611)
109 KB
109 KB JPG
>just get a better personality and hit the gym bro
What does a truly ugly man benefit from this? He's still going to be treated subhuman everywhere he goes and have absolutely no hopes of physical affection - even hookers will turn down people who dont meet their standards
>>
>>28225765
Work and save money for plastic surgey and meanwhile you do that research on finding plastic surgery that is going to make you become more attractive based on the eurocentric standard that everyone follows. If you have to go to college, tradeschool, whatever type of training to get a higherpaying job, living with your parents, becoming more frugal to save up that money then do it. Even if it will take a couple of years. If you plan it right it will be worth it.

Of course hit the gym and exercise but you also need to work on selfcare such as skin, hair, eyes, posture, teeth, smell, all of that. The people who would be knowledgable about that is dermatologists, dentists, doctors, and women. Beauty is like playing the long game but that's all for opportunity so it's worth it.
>>
>>28225808
I respect you given the actual real answer (plastic surgery) but most normgroids whill tell you to just hit the gym and shower bro

Unfortunately it's just not realistic, someone who looks that bad is not going to have the mental willpower to spend years doing everything it takes to moneymaxx and planning/researching aesthetics and surgery to achieve a good result, while also being lucky enough that none of the procedures go wrong
>>
>>28225765
why don't you actually try it instead of deciding its bad advice because its not easy
>>
>>28225867
You're talking to someone who's lifted for years, gone through the arduous process of a tretinoin skincare routine, spent an entire year consuming zero added sugars and below 2000 calories while doing cardio on off days, and spent over 4k on invisalign and whitening crap to fix my teeth

Buddy none of that matters when you are genetically subhuman. PLastic surgery can compensate but again, it's not feasible for people who are already so mentally distraught they cant even get out of bed for them to somehow make money for surgery
>>
>>28226089
maybe you should stop being so autistic then

File: img.jpg (60 KB, 600x600)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
fuck you. and fuck your "advice". just because you got dealt a shit hand at life and now is closer than ever to your fucking deathbed don't screw other people's threads with your "advice".
>im 18
>"LOL YOU HAVE YOUR WHOLE LIFE AHEAD OF YOU! STOP COMPLAINING! EVERYTHING WILL BE FINE!"

SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU FAGGOT. you know that's not true. wanna know how I know you know it's not true? because you probably got that same shitty "advice" when young took it to heart and now look where you are. stop spreading this shit and die knowing you fucked up. you fucked up because you were naive. nobody here is naive. you're not fooling anyone. you're just being a nuisance. for the love of god. kill yourelf.
3 replies omitted. Click here to view.
>>
>>28226059
most advice is based on choices people wish they made instead of the ones they did, when they tell you you have your whole life still its a cautionary tale, all you have to do is anything, literally just start and see where it goes because you have that kind of time and very few lasting consequences
basically stop being a bitch
>>
>>28226086
DONT EVEN GET ME STARTED ON THE FUCKING JANNIES OF THIS WEBSITE.
they think they mean shit just because they're cleaning some actual pedophilia here and there. but guess what motherfucker? nobody fucking cares about your existence. sure you can prune and ban users whenever you want. but there's some arbitrary limit to that. isn't there? anyways nobody gives a fuck about what you do or when you ban users for no reason. if you do your job improperly nobody will ever take you seriously or respect you in the slightest. just because you had a shitty day "HAHAHAHAHWHAH LET ME TROLL SOMEONE ON /ADV/." "LULL GLOBAL, GLOBAL RULE BREAKING 1 DAY BAN." you fucking troglodyte. have you ever heard how stupid your thoughts sound. I cannot believe someone can be this actually fucking stupid lmao. your life is more pathetic than those of fit faggots or near death boomers. at least fit faggots will die from roids and boomers, well they're already close to death. but you? no you're a coward. you didn't do anything with your life and now you're moderating 4chan to fill in that void. have at it faggots.
>>
>>28226087
>most advice is based on choices people wish they made instead of the ones they did
most advice from autists*

normal people give advice based upon their experiences. normally, an autist who has no experience in life will give advice as you described. because, well, he has no fucking experience in life. omegafuckingkek.
>>
>>28226100
well jeez man just take the chill pill already
>>
>>28226106
take this shotgun shell to your head retard. if I had your stupid face in sight I would blast it open worst than Ronnie's face when he killed himself. you utterly disgusting pest. get the fuck out of my thread or report it pussy.

File: download.jpg (5 KB, 225x225)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
Is that a thing? How should I proceed?
2 replies omitted. Click here to view.
>>
>>28222866
this is just not worth it honestly
the amount of actual attractive girls on the app is small, and the hottest women dont usually use apps at all.
and then youre supposed to compete with 1000 gigachads, who are high status jobs, rich, instagram tier pics etc, while the women themselves often just use selfies etc?

bullshit.
its just not worth it. im not going to change my life and become an instagram dude who takes pics of himself everyday just to enjoy some mid tier women on apps who even then will only give you small chances of sex and the like

wtf is a senior photo
>>
bump
>>
>>28222990
Just take some bathroom pics retard lmao it's not that hard stop being such a bawwwing little faggot
>>
bump
>>
>>28222541
Start a band. I played in a pop punk/emo band and would pull 18 year olds while unshaven and unshowered for days, because I can sing and play guitar and write songs. I'm not trying to sound arrogant, just offering a suggestion. You're gonna need more than just looks, if you have a talent you can show off you're gonna grab their attention way more than just being a model or being rich. You won't even need Tinder if you just book gigs, you will be the center of attention by default.

As far as Tinder is concerned, >>28222990 is mostly correct. I booked 4 dates in 1 week (19-33 age range) and they all sucked. They were just uninteresting whores who used a shitload of makeup and filters to basically catfish me.

How do I not feel like a loser for hiring a prostitute? I want to enjoy this.
3 replies omitted. Click here to view.
>>
Where do you even go to find prostitutes online? Asking for a friend.
>>
>>28225330
I'm going on vacation to a country where prostitution laws aren't enforced because no one gives a shit. If you save enough money and carve out the time you could do it if you want. I'm not going to jump through unecessary hoops and hurdles for mediocre sex with a mediocre looking woman in a country that outlaws it and enforces those laws.
>>
>>28225249
Don’t do it, man. You don’t need a hook up, you need Jesus.
>>
>>28225249
“I don't pay them for sex. I pay them to leave.”

-Charlie Sheen
>>
>>28225249
realise that putting in so much time and effort into "hook-up culture" that it becomes akin to a part-time job even if you only get minimal returns is infinitely more loser like than just paying for sex and leaving immediately afterward.
with all the memes about 'simps' it strikes me as utterly bizarre that online dating is normalised for men but visiting prostitutes is somehow taboo.
OP, i don't think you're a loser, and the only thing holding me back from doing the same is finances. i say go for it.

File: 1620315716145.png (32 KB, 556x464)
32 KB
32 KB PNG
>fap to futa, gay porn and everything inbetween
>try to have an actual men on men relationship irl
>it fucking sucks, men are weird, smelly and sucking cock doesn't even feel good
what the fuck does this mean?
>>
>>28225854
Try girls
>>
>>28225854
I think the best thing you could ask yourself is this-
>If the internet didn't exist, would I even be into this?
I believe a problem in the culture and time we live in comes down to 2 things.
1. The lack of God in our society
and
2. Too much free time/time on the internet
Unironically seek Jesus (He's helped me), and if you choose to not accept him, then at least try to find a passion irl. When we have friends irl and a hobby or passion to engage in with others, it seems that we spend less time on the internet and getting sucked into our own minds. At least- that's the way I see it.
Hope this helps, have a good one, and God bless you, friend.
>>
>>28225987
ur a faget
>>
>>28225991
I love you too.

File: ovah.png (88 KB, 206x264)
88 KB
88 KB PNG
I failed a class, hard. My GPA dropped from 3.5 to 3.2. Will I ever be able to get into grad school now or is it over? I would have to get only A's until the end of my degree to get a 3.5 again.
>>
nope time to drop out and start dealing crack

23 years old and no friends, making me want to kill myself, feel hopeless
What do
26 replies and 1 image omitted. Click here to view.
>>
File: I_feel_things.jpg (89 KB, 1400x1050)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
>>28222718
This is a great comment, OP. I'm 29 and still have zero friends. I've recently been making at least something of an effort to try new things, meet people, etc. Just now for example I'm taking an improv class. I probably could be doing a lot me than I am now, but I am doing a fair amount more than I was, say, two years ago. I wish I could tell you it gets better, but so far I still don't especially gel with anyone. But at least this way I can say I tried, and won't have to be afraid that the problem was just that I didn't try.
>>
>>28220951
Oh yeah I'm 31 and with no friends
>>
>>28221072
YES. Fellow SHP9500 Chad checking in here. Have had those bad boys for 4 years now still going strong. Best headphones I’ve ever had.
>>
A year and a half ago I was in a position were the only thing stopping my suicide was knowing that my family would suffer if I did it. And I began to realize long after that, I no longer had anything to lose. The worst to happen to me was my death, and the worst way I could die was suicide. So I started to do things that I didn’t use to do. I stopped thinking about what others thought about me and I did what I wished. And it really helped me recover from that dark hole. I started going into the woods with a destination or time line. I’d just stuff my tritium compass in my pocket and rush off I to the woods and it felt good. It was the most melancholy feeling to be careless for my own outcome. This really helped me see the beauty of self determination. I felt alive. Since then I’ve given up a lot of those freedoms I felt and ensuing-ly have had a less fulfilling life.
>>
>>28226078
> I started going into the woods with a destination or time line.

I started going into the woods with no destination or time line.*

File: burning in hell.gif (370 KB, 206x176)
370 KB
370 KB GIF
brehs
how tf do I actually start studying more cuz Im pretty close to the verge of failing me semester
I actually am pretty good at studying but this year I caught the flu and the burnout after that has been so hard that I just can't bring myself to study anymore
the enthusiasm, urge and fear of failing has completed left and it looks as if I'm sitting in a ditch
I have become incredibly lazy and the sleep schedule has become so fucked that I will either not sleep for 2 days straight or straight up snooze for 15 hours
5 replies omitted. Click here to view.
>>
>>28225525
What are you studying? Do you actually enjoy the field that you are in? What are the things about the work that is causing you the most distress (e.g., amount of work, type of work, lack of connection to real-world?)
>>
>>28225525

1. anxiety or worry
2. difficulty in making decisions
3. sleeplessness or excess sleep
4. lack of enery or fatigue
5. feeings of hopelessness
6. feelings of sadness
7. feelings of guilt
8.feelings of worthlessness

how many symptoms do you have from the above list?
>>
>>28225884
Jesus Christ, having issues with school doesn't mean he has MDD.
>>
>>28225733
I never had a friend circle
only a few hi/hellos here and there
I'm not asocial but I wanted to focus on my studies thats why I didn't engage much
>>28225860
No, I'll have to pass these smaller subfields before I can actually start studying what I want
But if it doesn't happen then I would have to again start with this hefty semester
Overall the whole thing was very manageable but this year was fucked due to this vicious cycle of being sad and lazy
>>
>>28225884
Depends
On a good day only 1,2,7 and 8
On a bad day, a little of all
But what does this indicate ? it seems like one of those le depression diagnosers from internet
Though I can say I'm not depressed actually

File: b3d.jpg (37 KB, 657x527)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
I have no proof or medical studies to show that this is the case, but I also have no doubts. I believe that to get out of depression, tiredness, fatigue and all that shit, you first have to work your body, since a healthy body is a healthy mind, for that it is good to do sports, whatever it is. it is as long as it keeps our body busy. Another important factor is studying, it doesn't really matter what, it doesn't matter if it's for university, school or for yourself, you have to do it to keep your mind occupied with something productive. I would also say that looking for a job, or generating income with a startup, as this will keep our mind and body busy, while giving us money, in itself gives us a reason to keep going, especially when you are working on something of your own.

Another important point is to stop comparing yourself to others, stop thinking that the other is better than you because you have more knowledge, money or physical condition. It is also very silly to think about issues such as superiority or inferiority, we are all human, we all have problems and difficulties in life, of course there are degrees of this, but this does not have to be a limitation. You have to focus on yourself, on your problems, on your virtues, on your life, and not on that of others.

Another issue is guilt and remorse, which depending on the person can be the easiest part, or difficult to overcome, because it is easy to forgive others, but sometimes it is difficult, if not impossible, to forgive yourself. No matter how dirty your hands are, they can always be cleaned. You have to accept your sins, accept what you did wrong and live with it. Go to a priest, a psychologist, or tell someone you trust what you did, this can help, it doesn't matter if you think psychology is a joke, or if you don't believe in God, the important thing is to somehow get the weight off What are you wearing.
45 replies and 8 images omitted. Click here to view.
>>
File: blanquita 2.jpg (2.39 MB, 3000x4000)
2.39 MB
2.39 MB JPG
>>28223873
>>
>>28216868
I know it's not the answer anyone wants, but... honestly spending years seeing a therapist and psychiatrist, getting on medication, and just making adjustments to improve my overall health/life has been significantly helpful in managing my depression.
Also having a pet weirdly helped me to take care of myself, "oh I gotta feed the cat, might as well eat something" or "if I don't keep the house clean the cat will just piss anywhere so I gotta tidy up a bit"
Good luck anons, I hope things get better
>>
b
>>
u
>>
Vitamin D3 and exercise worked pretty well for me.

File: ........jpg (101 KB, 1778x996)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
uhhh what does this mean? they're all girls btw
>>
>>28225512
you have a type and it’s mentally ill women
>>
>>28225593

that's probably true
>>
same but in reverse they all became mtf
maybe our gaydars are broken? too feminine/masculine and it makes the other feel weird? if i date a ftm can i will her into turning straigt? how far does this ability go
>>
>>28225600
That sucks
>>
>>28225512
You're dating dumb SJWs by the sound of it. You like low estrogen women who can't accept their femininity. Are you into tomboys or something? Also, why are you keeping track of your exes? I haven't spoken to my exes in many years, I cut off all contact permanently for my own sanity and out of mutual respect because I have nothing nice to say and I have no desire to be friends or see their faces.

Hello, a friend of man gave me a couple bars of chocolate bar infused with magic mushrooms. I’m not sure what the exact doseage per bar is but he described a single bar as being “just over a micro dose” I’m not sure how much I trust this though since the chocolate itself seems really unevenly patterned so I suspect some bars are going to be stronger than others.

Anyways, my question is what should I do to prepare for a first time shroom dose? Should I do it with others or by myself? How long do the effects last of a low dose and what can I do to try and make sure it’s a good experience? I know some of the basics like don’t fuck around with mirrors and surrender yourself to the experience, but regardless I am still anxious. Overcoming that fear is part of why I want to try it in the first place.

Pic unrelated
>>
Chocolate kills dogs so you shouldn't eat them.

Shrooms are mushrooms, they don't come as chocolate. Psilocybin is the active ingredient in shrooms and can be placed into chocolate. These are different things.
>>
Phenibut is good for preventing/stopping bad trips
>>
>>28225637
Unless you can see bits of mushroom it is likely synthetic psilocybin which would be evenly distributed throughout the bar.
>>
>>28226068
Also tripsafe.org


[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10]
[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10]
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.