[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Name
Options
Subject
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Use with [math] tags for inline and [eqn] tags for block equations.
  • Right-click equations to view the source.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]


[Catalog] [Archive]

File: sciguide.jpg (9 KB, 200x140)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
https://sites.google.com/site/scienceandmathguide/
>>
Reminder: /sci/ is for discussing topics pertaining to science and mathematics, not for helping you with your homework or helping you figure out your career path.

If you want advice regarding college/university or your career path, go to /adv/ - Advice.

If you want help with your homework, go to /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests.

Previously >>11300167
Low quality banter edition.

Talk maths.
87 replies and 15 images omitted. Click here to view.
>>
>>11313057
What about mathematicians who only applied to work?
>>
File: 1578336248884.jpg (3.65 MB, 3840x2400)
3.65 MB
3.65 MB JPG
>ex-gf is calling me to her house today
>i have an analysis test in 10 days and I don't know anything about it
Am i cursed? Why do these chances only appears in the worst possible times? Now I won't be able to decline her and I'll waste another day not studying analysis, fuck
>>
File: 1519510738504.png (127 KB, 500x405)
127 KB
127 KB PNG
Have a complementrary anime girl
>>
>>11313593
>ignoring the reality that ex-gf is an ex for a fucking reason
>ex-gf over g(f(x))
>simping at the first beckon

I hope you fail your test and kys, retard
>>
>>11313613
Bro, I don't wanna go, but I'm too weak, don't hope for my failure, I failed too much already.

File: Jrwf2.jpg (173 KB, 1208x1050)
173 KB
173 KB JPG
The absolute madlad
>>
>>11311616
There's some kind of pattern here, but I'm just not seeing it. What do all these proofs have in common?
>Cantor Diagonalization
>There is no set of all sets
>Proof of undecidability
>Godel Incompleteness
>>
>>11311616
what if Z is the empty set? Doesn't this proof rely on Z not being empty?
This sounds like circular reasoning, but then again I'm dumb so feel free to show me why it's not
>>
>>11313265
If Z is empty, then we have mapped every x to a set containing x. Then no x is mapped to the empty set, which is in P(X), so we don't have a 121 correspondence.
>>
File: 1567409628947.gif (400 KB, 493x342)
400 KB
400 KB GIF
>>11311616
>Undergraduate stuff.
Boring.......

File: CqCJqo8XYAAQbtH.jpg (115 KB, 1370x599)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
Why do people argue gender differences are a "social construct", but at the same time they argue transgenders are born that way?
115 replies and 6 images omitted. Click here to view.
>>
>>11312983
>your fustration is pretty misplaced, its mostly normalfags compulsively trying to display how enlightened they are who are making this an issue
lol it aint misplaced it just gets over-accumulated and directed unreasonably sometimes
>>
>>11313067
>>11312983
and you're fuckin right that that level of rage should definitely be expelled at the SJW cunts ESPECIALLY CUNTLIN JENNER
>>
>>11310307
What do you do with butch women and sissy men?
Are they actually trans all of a sudden?
>>
>>11310352
>intersex brained
wow, claiming males and females have different brain structure?
>discrimination
not a single discriminated group has similar suicide rates. Not even actually discriminated ones like gays in Iran.
>>
>>11310290
There's only an 'intellectual inconsistency' in that diagram because of the "no significant innate differences between males and females" part, but that has nothing to do with gender roles or why gender is socially constructed.

You could omit that part and there wouldn't be an inconsistency, while also still representing transexuality by the same amount.

File: 1579275196358.jpg (139 KB, 1280x720)
139 KB
139 KB JPG
After indicators of physical beauty and fertility, what does science have to say about what behaviours and personality traits are correlated with increased appeal to men seeking long term marriage material?
8 replies and 1 image omitted. Click here to view.
>>
Everything important in a woman is about children. is that why Neoteny is so common?
>>
fat tits
>>
>>11313317
Big tits, big ass, slutty, willing to do anal, hairy pussy
>>
No I'm asking what do actual studies reveal, not necessarily your own but actual research looking at preferences.
>>
>>11313616
What people like varies between cultures and individuals and time periods.

File: college.png (45 KB, 500x338)
45 KB
45 KB PNG
How many of you can actually separate true science from authoritative claims, and do so without losing the valuable scientific truths mixed within the bureaucracy?

What dogma's have you accepted because simply you would be shamed to think otherwise?

How many of you have feared sharing your original idea (which may be fallacious) because you knew if it was right someone with more power than you what take credit for it?

At the very least, this fear makes discerning quacks easier, because a genius with no reputation would never risk sharing an idea they believed held value. Is this the world you were told you live in?
3 replies omitted. Click here to view.
>>
>>11312178
Why do people demand the government pays for college instead of demanding for college to become cheaper?
>>
>>11312446
Employers and the public stopped respecting degrees for the sole reason that there is a huge inflation going on in terms of how many people get degrees on what terms.
So when I talk of "how many people", I'm talking about the percentage of people who end up with a degree.
This issue is imo considerably worse in the USA than in Europe. Whereas in Europe roughly 10 % of the population attains a degree equal or superior to the Bachelor's degree, it seems to be more than 30 % in the USA. This is closely connected to "on what terms". Because the percentage of people that actually end up with a Bachelor's degree is so high, we deal with a majority of people who should not have these degrees in the first place. This is clearly visible from the fact that over the decades much of what originally constituted education for undergraduates in the USA was replaced by stuff that ought to be taught in high school. People should not be able to pass high school and simultaneously turn out to be unable to perform the most simplistic algebraic manipulations. This hasn't happened in Europe yet despite a lot of simplifications even there going on.
>>
>>11312465

Percentage of people getting degrees
and
The quality of education
are
different things.

If you are so smart, why are you confusing those two?
If you are talking about something else through hints, then you could make smarter hints so that both meanings make sense.
>>
>>11312462
You can boil that question down to: "Why are people still giving these institutions so much respect?" Truly if there wasn't this mystique around them people would be more open to the idea that they are overpriced, instead they believe that a degree makes you more intelligent than everyone else, so how could it ever be over priced?
>>
>>11312504
>Percentage of people getting degrees and The quality of education are different things.
>That reddit spacing
>You're a faggot

Just because they're different things doesn't mean that there is no connection between the two. It is known that the number of people that attain a degree in any given major is negatively correlated to the average competence of the group. This has been noted over and over again in the case of engineers students. If the overall number of people that get a degree increases, what does this imply?
>If you are so smart, why are you confusing those two?
I'm not but thanks for showing everyone that you're functionally retarded.

Will it take off /sci/
215 replies and 19 images omitted. Click here to view.
>>
>>11313473
Have you taken physics, anon?
>>
Wait wait wait wait wait.

215 replies? Really? The wheels have no affect on the speed of the plane. There are absolutely no engines on the wheels at all. Planes are not cars. 100% of the thrust of the plane comes from the engines. A conveyor belt will simply cause the free spinning wheels to spin faster and the plane easily takes off. As stated here:
>>11312594
But ... but muh conveyor.
Conveyor belts are not magic. Your magic converyor belt would need infinite speed to counter the acceleration because again, and I cannot state this enough THE FUCKING WHEELS SPIN FREELY.
All the conveyor can do is make the wheels spin faster. They cannot stop the plane from moving forward!

There is no room for debate. Why in Cthulhu's holy name are we still discussing this?
>>
>>11312525
Yes, the plane uses its engines to propel itself and not its wheels
The treadmill is simply a short runway
>>
>>11313051
rotational speed =/= translational speed
>>
>>11313235
in the mud the speed of your wheels is 0, same as the cars speed.

File: 0110181889.jpg (75 KB, 622x647)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
Who here realizes that climate alarmism is just a sad attempt at self preservation and actually supports climate change knowing that in 100 years we can fix it? Who here knows that a 2 degree global increase in temperature will not only kill the fishing industry but it will render most of the continent of Africa and huge parts of the middle east unfarmable due to the extreme seasonal temp swings and borderline uninhabitable due to the changing habitable zones of deadly animals such as the tsetse fly?

Even if the global temp increases by 5 degrees and sea levels rise by 500 feet I'll be completely fine and can live off the land for 40+ years. Meanwhile all the coastal city faggots are going to drown and massacre each other for food and half the Africa will starve out because no ones going to send them food for free lmfao.
5 replies omitted. Click here to view.
>>
>>11311036
Now this is a kind of faith you don't find everyday. What if you are wrong and in 20 years you just created some disaster conditions that our systems aren't prepared to handle?
>>
>>11311036
>Africa will starve out because no ones going to send them food for free lmfao
They are just going to move to where you live fren
>>
>>11311888
Ideally you'd fuck off to Alaska, an island, etc so SHTF before mass migration reaches you.
>>
>>11311126
USE
YOUR
FUCKING
TOE
LOL
>>
enjoy your massimmigration

tips?
>>
>>11313598
quit your job/school and just go to sleep when you are tired instead of forcing yourself to sleep because you have to wake up at 6 am tomorrow

File: 1899 Worlds Fair.png (1.28 MB, 1473x1080)
1.28 MB
1.28 MB PNG
>Blue
>Brown
>Gray
>>
>>11313378
>(You)
>are
>gay

>but muh tesla and spacex!!!!

Whilst Americans stuff themselves with Burgers and Fries, whilst Americans elect an embarassing oaf as President, China quietly overtakes America. America is gone. China is here.
24 replies and 2 images omitted. Click here to view.
>>
>>11313589
>All the nations with shitty humans rights record support the biggest shittiest human rights abuser
Honestly who made this planet like this
>>
>>11313595
> As long as UN exists, China has 50% of the world's support for whatever they do

Government support isn’t population support, nor does government support and population support equate to actual power. Oh no, third world hellholes support China! How will America recover?!

> In terms of numbers, if you ask random people, they will say China is right more often than not

Not demonstrated.

>In terms of religious doctrine, China will win out.

Not demonstrated.

> In terms of secular morals, China will win out.

Not demonstrated.

> China simply has more people on their side of the aisle to counter anything negative.

Population=/=power

Comment too long. Click here to view the full text.
>>
>>11313601
>Honestly who made this planet like this

Europe and America unironically.
>>
>>11313601
but UN is elite family controlled and controlled by Masonry Lodges, I think they just want a scam an excuse to make China run corporations globally because theyre a one party dictatorship and well duh of course youll get things done without having to put up with peoples shit what could be more desirable to them
>>
File: pew-race-chart.jpg (33 KB, 800x528)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>11313188
>China is owning the USA
Wow I wonder why.

Here's a scientific thesis on what makes Ingrid so exceptionally fuckable:

1 Geometry: Compared to most hentai characters that are in their teens or early 20s, Ingrid seems to be an older woman in her late 20s or early 30s which is evident by her facial proportions like wider eye shape, larger nose and wider lips. Due to her age she also has larger and more curved breasts and buttocks. Due to these geometrical characteristics, Ingrid is considered to be a milf, a pretty uncommon presence in the loli-plagued hentai industry. This kind of uniqueness is commonly known to create curiosity and sexual tension

2 Color: Ingrid seems to create uniqueness and surprise element once again with the unconventional colors that constitute her. Her tanned skin is probably the first thing that stands out about her appearance since most characters featured in hentai are pale. Her dark skin is contrasted with her captivating yellow eyes and purple hair. In color theory, yellow is the color of creativity and fresh energy which serves to fuel our sexual tension and imagination. Although pink hair is common among anime characters, Ingrid seems to draw more attention to them thanks to the contrast with her skin. Pink is the result of white (the color of purity) blending with red (the color of passion), Pink is also thought to be the color of femininity and sexuality while also providing a sense of comfort

3 Details: Ingrid has a lot of subliminal details on her design that point to sexual pursuit or recent engagement to sexual acts. For example her hair is more detailed than most characters and some of it is carelessly placed in front of her face to suggest thrusting movements and speed. She also appears to have shrunken pupils, a common phenomenon during sexual climax.

For science!
>>
I agree. It holds true that immaturity is consistent in people attracted to younger characteristics. Perhaps MILFs can lead to a redemptive turn in the hentai industry for us normal people.
>>
>>11309292
>scientific
>In color theory, yellow is the color of creativity and fresh energy
nigga what
>>
>>11311171
color theory is not pseudoscience. It's a branch of psychology. It studies how certain colors affect our mood and It's useful for artists
>>
>>11309292
This, Ingrid is the ultimate female.
How can reality ever compete?
>>
>>11311187
Color theory is not entirely pseudoscience, but it's mostly pseudoscience. In particular
> yellow is the color of creativity and fresh energy
is pseudo

File: 1566835112215.jpg (183 KB, 1600x835)
183 KB
183 KB JPG
What's the skinny on vaccines /sci/?
17 replies and 2 images omitted. Click here to view.
>>
File: vaccines.jpg (40 KB, 500x341)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>11313014
Vaccines are a scam.
Unvaccinated children are proven healthier by nearly every study.
>>
File: vaccines 2.jpg (92 KB, 1021x1572)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>your unvaccinated child must be kept away from my child so that my child does not get the disease he is supposedly now immune to!
>>
File: dr toni bark md.jpg (69 KB, 720x535)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
here is a study:
>Vaccinated children more than 3x more likely to have autism and at greater risk of all childhood diseases, 30x more likely to have allergies
http://archive.is/PwUrN
>>
>“It’s not a rational thing to think that we can just give an ever-increasing number of vaccines without causing damage,” Sutton explains. “There’s a tipping point for many people in terms of the toxins that they can handle.”
~Kelly Sutton, MD
https://healthimpactnews.com/2016/study-unvaccinated-children-healthier-than-vaccinated-kids-doctors-agree/
>>
File: amish health.png (763 KB, 709x720)
763 KB
763 KB PNG
>>11313599
also I need you people to think about how this study was deleted from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/.
gee, could there be a cover up to destroy dissenting information anywhere it appears? because this isn't the first time.

File: ENqi3UzWoAAW71N.png (99 KB, 892x796)
99 KB
99 KB PNG
I lost all respect for Hawking.
38 replies and 9 images omitted. Click here to view.
>>
>>11312050
lol
>>
>>11311973
well no shit he was british
>>
>>11311799
>a 4chan anon lost all respect for an actual scientist

No one cares.
>>
>>11313294
yo momma
>>
>>11311973
How does this pic prove anything?

File: b6b.png (694 KB, 600x583)
694 KB
694 KB PNG
If in the near future people will have brain-machine interfaces wouldn't there be a way to train some weak AI on all the telemetry from BMI in order to make programs that will have a [fake] sense of aesthetic?
13 replies omitted. Click here to view.
>>
>>11311412
/sci/entists have no idea how virality works... Not surprising
Artificial art will never go viral because it's artificial
This has absolutely 0 to do with emotion, or eliciting emotion
>>
Maby this is posible . (1) we creating A.I. like CODE BULET always do , (2)then we making reward system that include real humans in it (because computers do'nt have fillings and understanding of subjective stuf) sort of Tay AI (3) Punishing for being repetitive.
Computers need to have needs to have real intelegense or understanding of subjective. We humans feel music impact because we can spell words in diferent intonations / we surrounded by sounds that nature creates (So we cant make A.I. that truly have sense of aesthetic).
>>
>>11311381
What do you mean ? Humans have sense of aesthetic and beauty because environment gave it to us .For exampleome some combination colors fairly associated with danger , and some with things that correlate with dopamine release.
>>
>>11313486
how does that differ from what I said?
>>
Too late
facebook.com
/artaiofficial/
>inb4 muh Facebook
Get over it you autismos
also fuck you spam filter


Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10]
[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10]
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.