[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: bing.png (1.79 MB, 1024x1024)
1.79 MB
1.79 MB PNG
Why is it that every time someone posts on here about help installing some bass ackwards band-aid, then gets told to just fix the problem, they have a temper tantrum about how working on a car is some impossible task?

I get that I was lucky to have my dad teach me things, but do wrenchlets genuinely believe that something like changing oil or spark plugs or a battery, is not just difficult but some insurmountable obstacle? Or are they just attention whoring?
>>
>>27621183
Saw this fag online complaining about oxygen sensor connectors being inside the cabin as if that isn’t the standard in most Japanese cars lol
>>
>>27621183
link or kys, herbs
>>
>>27621195
"This connector is in a slightly inconvenient spot" isn't what I'm finding hard to believe. It's people like the anon posting "my battery is cooked, what jump starter should I use in place of a battery?
>>
>>27621198
But he has to remove a few bolts on the air cleaner box and move a cable, it's impossible to replace the battery.
>>
>>27621198
I guess I haven’t been on this board in a while to see this, but I’m tired of seeing people complain about the most minuscule shit
>>
>>27621183
I just helped my roommate change a starter on a 2012 Civic, dealership wanted $1500 to do it. He was scared to try it himself, and this is a dude who’s got plenty of tools and builds his own computers. Anyway, doing it was kinda a bitch, had to lift the car, remove a tire, and remove the down pipe, but hopefully now he can try it himself in the future.
>>
>>27621183
It's the man child phenomenon, the reason they didn't just do their own research and fix the problem in the first place is because they still have a child mentality of taking no responsibility and blaming everyone else for their problems.
>>
I don't get why people don't just look it up. There is almost always a YT video showing you step by step for most things especially if it's a popular rig to modify.
>>
>>27621183
>or spark plugs
Those can be a bitch on certain cars and even demand you take out the engine
>>
>>27621266
If you bought a Subaru you 100% deserve the ramifications of it
>>
>>27621266
>they can be difficult
Not on the basic bitch 4bangers that wrenchlets drive
>>
>>27621246
boomerspeak nonsense, go back to facebook
>>
>>27621183
'i cooked my motor and have no compression, how hard is it to change a head gasket?'
>>
>>27621183
For me, I am very afraid of working in my only car. I live in a condo and the lady in the office said no wrenching so I would have to do it in some random parking lot. If something goes very wrong and I can't finish then the car is stuck and might get towed and I'm not risking that.

Luckily I haven't had to do it yet because I still live with my mom and save decent money.
>>
>>27622067
You know damn well that they aren't making those easy to work on either
>>
>>27622420
The wife, who was the girlfriend at a time, her apartment had a really strict no-wrenching policy. Like 1/4 of the units had a garage, so when we had to drop the gas tank to do a fuel pump on this van, her dad convinced the maintenence guy to give him the key to a show unit with an empty garage and we did it in there.

Make friends with the people in your complex.
>>
>>27622140
Zoomiespeak nonsense, go back to twitch
>>
>>27622440
>Taking off 2 screws to remove the coil, then having direct access to the spark plug, is too hard for me.

Is this a troll post or are you genuinely that stupid?
>>
>>27623540
Some audis need you to pull the engine to do it
>>
>>27623540
I'd say it depends on the car. I have had three RWD v6 cars were one or two cylinders is basically impossible to access without taking off at a minimuim the charge pipe, all the soft piping for the turbo and intercooler, air box, airflow sensor, strut brace the entire throttle body on one or even the upper intake manifold surge tank entirely down to the runners. And these are 30-40 year old cars with fully stock systems. Imagine a modern engine with vastly more wires, brittle plastic parts, emissions lines hiding everything.

Not impossible, just irritating to spend 4 hours, need to source 5-6 gaskets, for a job that used to take 10 minutes.
>>
>>27621183
i hate seeing aislop everywhere instead of real stuff
>>
>>27621183
When you're dad didn't teach you anything and your friends were only interested in Vidya and you never learnt one end of a wrench from another tinkering with something that can kill you a hundred different ways or cost you several grand if you stuff up is a bit intimidating
>>
As someone who used to he scared to work on his car I can explain it. Basically opening an engine bay was like looking inside a computer desktop. I just had no idea what anything does. The extent of my knowledge was "turning key makes the battery start car". I didn't even really know how an internal combustion works. The idea of then taking sockets and tools to this to fix something indont understand and would probably just fuck up and make worse was very worrying. You have to understand a big part of fixing a car, is knowing what's wrong with it. And if you just have some vague grinding or noise or hesitation it's like hieroglyphics. How the fuck do I know what the problem is? This is why I would pay a mechanic to diagnose and fix something - so I'm not just taking something apart I have no idea how it works, to fix a problem I can't diagnose, and most likely just make worse.

Eventually I taught myself but it wasn't easy. Some people are mechanically minded, or grew up around cars. I'm not.
>>
any experience on fixing a cloning plant?
>>
>>27624087
>>27624137

>w-w-w-well if we're talking about cars that the average wrenchtard wouldn't buy in a million years then it might take a slight bit of work!

Are you too addled to read where I said "basic inline 4 shitbox" or are you just pretending to be retarded to prove me right?
>>
>>27621213
>change a starter on a 2012 Civic, dealership wanted $1500 to do it
holy shit lol
>>
>>27624453
>No commonly sold car has *ever* been difficult to repair!
>>
>>27621183
No, YOU motherfuckers piss me off
I ask for help with a solution to a problem and all you dumbasses can say is
>durrrr, jus do dis thing instead
>Bruh, literally jus replace dis entire thing instead
>just get a new one
>why don't you just...
You all are the real wrenchlets since you can't help with a simple fucking bandaid and have to resort to "just replace it bro"
You people are worse than reddit
>>
>>27624502
>I am so terrified of taking off 3 screws that I will write off *every single car on the planet* as completely unserviceable.

How do you NOT kill yourself for being this pathetic? You should be a teacher for suicide hotline workers.
>>
>>27624833
If you don't know how to make the band-aid fix yourself, that means you don't understand WHY it works, and that means you shouldn't be doing it.

Either do it right, or know what you're doing.
>>
>>27624833
>get advice on what to do
>doesn't want to do it
>WAAAAH YOU'RE LITTERALY WEDDIT!!
how about you just figure it out? you think we were born knowing this shit? oh you probably need a tutorial.
"HEY GUYS! CHRISFIX HERE! TODAY WE'RE GONNA BE POWDERING OUR DIAPERS AND I'M GOING TO SHOW YOU HOW I GET MINE *SUPER CLEAN*"
>>
>>27624866
>>27624855
>just figure it out bro lol
>>
>>27624881
>just figure it out bro lol
is there something here you're not getting? that's what wrenching is. if you can't figure it out then you can't figure it out. try having a father figure or something and I don't mean your moms boyfriend Tyrone Damarquis
>>
>>27622709
Sadly my complex has jo garages. I hate it here. I can't even work on my hobby scooter.
>>
>>27622440
>>27624087
just because 1% of cars are difficult doesn't mean that 100% of whining is justified. if you don't have one of those 1% cars, you have no reason to whine - just do it yourself. if you do have one of those 1% cars, you have no reason to whine - just take it to a shop. there is no scenario in which whining on 4chan fixes your problem
>>
>>27624234
I tried wrenching my bike and my dad already said 6 times to just take it to a mechanic instead even though I explained I want to learn and it's a hobby. Boomers have no sense of accomplishment that doesn't involve money and no conception of enjoying a hobby or learning new things.
>>
>>27624881
>Temper tantrum because you are told to do things the right way, by the book.

None of us can magically make you a wrenching genius. If you have to ask how to make a band-aid fix, you shouldn't be DIYing band-aid fixes.

If you don't already at least have an idea of how you're going to fix something, you should be following the manuals/chrisfix/whatever.
>>
>>27625098
I do a lot of random jobs for boomers, I always see it as a lack of curiosity, they aren’t willing to learn anything new. And it’s a lack of patience. If an engine can’t be fixed with new spark plugs and a can of carb cleaner, they give up.

I once watched two boomer neighbors fucking around with a lawn edger trying to change the blade. It was about 20min of one getting his hand jammed between the blade and guard to stop it from spinning and the other trying to get a good angle with the wrench and wonder if he’s turning it the right way. Eventually I walked over with a compact 3/8” impact wrench and had the blade changed in 10 seconds.

Like pic related, this guy is a cool boomer, he’s an engineer whose company got a contract to build the new transmission for Abrams tanks. He couldn’t get very far on a bad clutch slave cylinder without me taking over.

I hope that doesn’t happen to me when I’m older. It might be coming for us all because I would bet dude with this Cobra could’ve figured out how to remove a torx screw with very little clearancs when he was in his 20s.
>>
File: 1714415820330480.jpg (106 KB, 1044x1280)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
>>27624851
>Pssh, unlike you peons I am able to work on every car ever created without any issues!
>>
>>27624975
There is one: when doing it gets funny reactions out of people with no life
>>
>>27625330
hmm I didn't think it was a neuroplasticity thing. If you know a guy that's having problems with things he wouldn't have in the past that changes it. It definitely has a cultural aspect to it. Boomers don't even try to branch out and try different, instead of being merely bad at it. This is what I'm scared of, spending my life watching tv and doing nothing.
>>
>>27625509
>temper tantrum because you're too pathetic to take out 2 screws

Again, the job in question is changing spark plugs on a garden variety i4.

If you genuinely think that's too hard of a job, how do you survive day-to-day?
>>
>>27625267
>>27624905
EXactly the mentality I'm talking about.
>you're not doing it the "right" way (the way my daddy taught me)
>I'll just default to first-Google-result suggestions
I'm not looking to take a whole automotive crash course just so I can understand the theory behind whatever I'm doing.
I just need some insight on a quick fix until I have time to sit down and actually fix the issue.
It's like asking someone for directions and they tell you "bro literally just get a map lol".
>>
>>27627213
Let's think about how things would go if I DID tell tards like you how to do all the shitty fixes you beg for.

>how do I do this shitty fix that I don't understand in the slightest?
(tells anon how to do the shitty fix that they don't understand)
>OMG guys, the shitty fix failed! This is all your fault for breaking my car!
"we told you this was a shitty fix and you should only do it if you understand how it works"
>insert retardation temper tantrum
>>
>>27625534
Man you've clearly not worked on any car newer than a 2012
>>
>>27621195
The O2s is on the front and mid cat, at least in honders I own. First cat is right up front where the accessories would be in a longi v8. Second is of course where everyone else has theirs.

Do ppl really think it's for in-cabin air quality?
>>
>>27628145
I have, in fact I do every time my mom needs anything done... You've clearly not worked on any car at all if you think it's hard to take off 2 screws to get to the spark plug.
>>
1. I'd have to invest in a bunch of tools to do a simple job. I don't own any wrenches or jack stands or anything.
2. I don't have any place to put my tools or work on my car. I live in an apartment.
3. Some fixes are genuinely not for beginners to attempt.
Obviously, when I get my own place I'd buy a bunch of tools. I also research heavily into whatever problem I'm having with my car, so at least I know if a mechanic is trying to screw me over when he says he will install a bunch of parts.
Stop assuming that everyone who doesn't know as much as you in a specific area of expertise is just a crybaby.
>>
>>27628174
A simple job? You mean like an oil change where you need a single wrench and maybe a band wrench both cost around 10 bucks combined? Or spark plugs which requires a single socket wrench and an extension with a 10mm socket and a spark plug socket? All costing 15 dollars?
>>
This thread and
>>27626322 This thread are all full of crybaby wrenchlets.
Why come to this board if you're not even willing to change your own oil?
So you can gawk about 'rraris', 'lambos', and toyobarus?
>>
>>27628174
>genuine reasons that working on a car isn't feasible for you
Normal and understandable
>the other anon still having a temper tantrum because he's so terrified to take off 2 screws to get to the spark plug
Genuinely insane crybaby behavior
>>
>>27628163
Interesting, usually I do it for her whenever I'm over to fuck her
>>
>>27628650
Normally people don't brag about being so desperate they go for old ladies, but you do you
>>
>>27624332
>>27624332
Modern carss have computers that give you the issue. You then cross check that with a 5 second Google search to make sure the issue stated is fixed by replacing the component the car thinks is at fault.

It's never been easier to be a mechanic desu.
>>
>>27631263
>a 5 second Google search
Kek, you haven't tried a google search lately have you?
>Table of Contents
>What is U0036 Diagnostic Code
>History of U0036 Diagnostic Code
>Can new tires cause U0036 Diagnostic Code?
>All car models that have U0036 Diagnostic Code
>Sponsored products related to U0036 Diagnostic Code
>*80 paragraphs of useless AI generated text here*
>>
>two retards having a slap fight
>every car is impossible to work on
>every car is easy to work on, nothing more than two screws ever
You queers should stop flirting and get married all ready
>>
>>27632552
>Why U0036 Diagnostic Codes are good for you
>>
>>27632567
"It takes 2 screws to take off the coil on an i4"
>saying this is somehow a bad thing
>>
>>27632666
I'm flattered, pal, really, but I don't swing that way. I wish you and your butt buddy nothing but the best thoughever.
>>
>>27632552
I don't read irrelevant information so honestly they're still five seconds for me. Perhaps that's why boomers don't "understand" new cars? They're afraid of wires connected to modules they don't know what they're for meanwhile someone with intelligence will simply move the harness out of the way and fix the issue.

Reminds me of how YouTubers were complaining about how complex the base bronco's engine was because Ford didn't put a piece of plastic on it to hide the wires from the midwits.

>>27632666
>Plastic cover on the engine
>Why are engineers designing cars not to be worked on?
LMAO
>>
>>27632708
>plastic cover
Oh Noes! Something that takes 5 seconds to remove!

I can't honestly believe that you're this pathetic. Please tell me you're trolling.
>>
>>27632716
That was my point it wasn't an obstacle to anyone with common sense.
>>
>>27632708
>I don't read irrelevant information so honestly they're still five seconds for me
All google searches return now is irrelevant information
(this is on purpose, if you can't find what you're looking for you keep looking at more and more google ads https://www.wheresyoured.at/the-men-who-killed-google/ )
>>
>>27621246
Go back to boomer book holy shit, do you honestly believe that people back in your day all worked on their own shit?
>>
>>27622211
I4, v6 or v8 engine, you don’t even have to take the engine out, H4 like on a Subaru? Goo fucking luck lol, the whole bitching engine will need to come out
>>
Seeing the replies here, no wonder people look down on car enthusiasts, you fuckers really make it difficult to like this hobby
>>
>>27633048
If you're terrified of the effort involved in replacing a battery, you don't like the """"hobby""""
>>
>>27621183
I think it's just frustrating sometimes even with the wealth of knowledge on the Internet because it might not be geared towards their skill level
>>
>>27621254
i had a 13yo pudgy kid show me how to adjust carb float height the other day. i don't know how people learned wrenchletry before, it's so easy
>>
>>27633048
>how DARE you point people towards helpful easy-to-understand info!
>instead of doing that, you should hold their hand every step of the way and come to their house to be their unpaid mechanic!
>>
>>27633236
You’re hyperbolizing for no reason like a spiteful cunt, no wonder you have no friends. All I’m seeing here is insults and not any actual help.
>>
>>27632813
If you think that then you definitely aren't going to be able to work on a car. I agree it's too difficult for you.
>>
>>27633435
>google searches in 2024 work great! i love looking at endless ads instead of what I'm actually searching for
kek
>>
>>27633400
>you give me resources to find out how to do this job! how dare you!
>if you don't treat everyone like a retard who needs to be spoon fed information, you have no friends!

Anon, what DO you want? Instead of having temper tantrums, tell me what you DO want me to do.
>>
>>27621213
Man, I did one on my 8th gen civic. Total bitch to do. Also the dealer price on the starter is like $500 it's insane
>>
>>27621276
Subaru spark plugs are easier than a suburban.
>>
I used to help people like OP. What took me a long time to realize is that they want you to fully diagnose it for them, provide them links to the parts, every single step for the entire procedure, then want you to stay here as tech support because they are fully incapable of revelation. These stupid motherfuckers can not put 2 and 2 together for shit even for simple stuff. If there isn't a tutorial on how to do something then they're fucked. There's not a single piece of info that you can't get right now if you wanted to.

>>27627213
>It's like asking someone for directions and they tell you "bro literally just get a map lol"
now you're getting it! you think our tools just fell out of the sky? you think our knowledge was bestowed to us at birth? we had to work for it you lazy asshole. There's not a single piece of info that you can't get right now if you wanted to. I've sorted through fucking engineering whitepapers before to get the info I needed. I've bought a month subscription to All Data once to get schematics.
>>
>>27634548
>I've bought a month subscription to All Data once to get schematics

did they make it untorrentable or something? I seem to remember torrenting their whole ass catalog of bullshit way back when.
>>
File: IMG_20160314_174349.jpg (1.11 MB, 4160x2340)
1.11 MB
1.11 MB JPG
>>27633039
pulling a subaru engine is piss easy, it takes about an hour once you've done one before
>>
can't contribute because my 24 year old shitbox simply refuses to break. I replaced the spark plugs and the radiator once.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.