[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMAG0211.jpg (367 KB, 900x1200)
367 KB
367 KB JPG
How do you deal with feral cats? They're going out of control in my area, I don't know what to do especially with the kittens. Shelter won't take them in anymore either and are already overcrowded.
>>
File: 20231118_160002.jpg (2.44 MB, 2936x3343)
2.44 MB
2.44 MB JPG
>>4785492
You keep them
>>
I'll take them, I love feral cats but if you can't find them a home you need to contact a rescue group
>>
>>4785492
Take them in and take care of them until you can find people who are interested. Put up some ads online
>>
Start feeding them. Leave bowls of kibble outside. Set up a trailcam. Become the master of cats.
>>
>>4785492
.22lr
>>
>>4785492
Gather them all in a box and drive around after school gets out. Look for children walking home or playing and offer them for free like the dog milk farmer.
>>
>>4785540
This is a great idea. Pawn those kittens off on stupid highschoolers. Their parents will flip their shit.
>>
>>4785492
Catch them all in a box and hand them (cat and run style) to random children
>>
>>4785534
fpbp
>>
If you care about nature you kill them
>>
>>4785492
skin them and clean them and grind them up and bring them to a taco bell distribution center
alternatively, just kill em and leave the carcasses by the backdoor of your local Chinese restaurant
>>
>>4785492
I made a shit post but there are some feral cats on my street in FL. My neighbor feeds em and stuff but I'm wondering, can I build like a cat henhouse in my yard or something? So they can have a place to chill if it's rainy or windy, I know they range around a mile at least
>>
>>4785576
My mom took a few of those plastic storage bins, cut a hole in them, filled them with straw, and the local cats she feeds end up sleeping in them
>>
Arrows, some times catch and drown if theyre young enough
>>
>>4785492
TNR
Trap
Neuter
Release

Search for feline rescue organizations, volunteer to help. They try to catch young kittens and socialize them for adoption. Adults that can't be saved get released back where they were found. Had a couple colonies near where I lived, so I volunteered to help set traps IN COORDINATION WITH three different rescue organizations (two of them were a single person organizing volunteers). Did that for over 15 years before I moved. They had a network of vets who would do cheap work for the community good, and they spent a lot of time fund-raising to pay for as much help as they could get.

Be part of the solution. TNR is very effective once it's an established policy for a particular colony. You can also help monitor one or two colonies near you and help feed them. I did that out of my own pocket, daily, it doesn't take that much. It also helps because having several people watching each colony helps identify non-neutered cats and get them trapped & neutered quickly before they have kittens. And, you can identify injured & sick animals to get them help as fast as possible.

Also, there are sick and evil humans in the world who will deliberately go into these colonies and poison & kill and sometimes trap and torture them. If there are people watching the colony, you can help prevent that shit from happening. Talk to friends and neighbors to help you. It's surprising just how easy it is to spend one or two days a week doing a little bit of good with a few other people who also care. Start naming the cats and you'll be hooked. Some few eventually even socialize enough for homes that can give them special consideration for how feral they started life out. I managed to save a couple dozen that were up to about 3 or 4 years old ... just takes patience and love.

Once a colony is almost entirely neutered cats, it will die out slowly over about ten to twelve years since you stop new kittens from replenishing natural attrition.

Problem solved.
>>
>>4785646
Tldr
Non solution for bleeding hearts
>>
>>4785646
>did tnr for 15 years
>effective after TWELVE years lmao
>constant supply kittens
things just arent adding up here
regardless i would not consider a pest control method that takes effect in a decade a viable one
>>
File: tradeoffer-trade[1].gif (162 KB, 220x238)
162 KB
162 KB GIF
>>4785725
>Anon, I can have this whole house termite-free in, let's say, 13 to 15 years.
>>
>>4785646
NO. NO. And absolutely FUCKING NO DO NOT DO THIS PERIOD.

There is a massive flaw in TNR and it's the R part. TNR has never been effective. You still have feral cats. They spread disease. They fight. They die on average at 2 to 4 years of age.

All you are doing is re-abandoning your pets, you psychopathic lazy retard. How delusional do you have to be to think the best thing you can do for a domestic animal is to turn them loose as a stray? These are not wild animals. They do not have appropriate survival instincts. They do not belong in any ecosystem, not in any number, and especially not as a concentrated colony (a totally alien behavior to small cats, created by human selective breeding).

Trap. Neuter. Adopt. Otherwise you are a lazy faggot who thinks condemning domestic cats to brutal "natural" deaths and torturous, stressful lives is fun.

It's so fucking funny that the people who claim to love cats the most kill and torture more of them than the soulless bugmen that hate cats the most entirely because of this weird cultist behavior
>le cats are super smart supreme gentlemen wild animals and can take care of themselves
>just give me 12 years to eventually neuter every cat so they can all die off. dead cats, yes, that's my goal.
LIFESPAN WITHOUT HUMAN AID: 2-4 YEARS.

https://hahf.org/awake/the-trouble-with-trap-vaccinate-neuter-return/
https://abcbirds.org/program/cats-indoors/trap-neuter-release/
https://abcbirds.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Castillo-and-Clarke-2003-TNR-ineffective-in-controlling-cat-colonies1.pdf
http://tnrrealitycheck.com/failure.asp
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/340388874_How_Effective_and_Humane_Is_Trap-Neuter-Release_TNR_for_Feral_Cats
https://jsmcah.org/index.php/jasv/article/view/68/70

Trap neuter ADOPT. Cats must be kept in enclosed areas and cared for. yes, you have to take care of the cats. lazy faggots. TNR does literally nothing except make the cats even more miserable.
>>
Remember way, way back when, when people let dogs roam free, so we kept getting toxocara and they were a rabies reservoir and they would form packs in the middle of the woods and threaten natural ungulate populations and hybridize with wolves to create wolves with poor survival skills and no fear of humans? Shitty days. Then dog people got the message and stopped having "outdoor dogs".

When will cat people catch up? 750 people die from toxoplasmosis each year, entirely because roaming cats are shitting on farmland and pasture. Domestic cats are the only remaining domestic animal still classified as a rabies reservoir in the US. These cats provide no benefit. They cause suffering. They are suffering. And then they die, at roughly 1/3 the lifespan of their wild ancestor.

The only thing you can do to help people, and the cats, is to trap, neuter, vaccinate, and adopt. Do not release. Adopt. Even if you keep the cats in a large outdoor enclosure, you have to adopt and care for the cats.
>>
you couldn’t have picked a gayer larp
>>
>>4785634
I ruin these with water
Cat people are lazy and never check
>>
>>4785776
Cats don't care about water irl
>>
>>4785646
Do you think I could bring my cat over to a cat colony? He loves the outdoors, and I'm willing to provide food and water for the whole colony
>>
>>4785781
How well contained is this colony? Technically, a "colony" is fine if it is separated from the world so it's essentially like having a bunch of pet indoor cats.

If it's an open "colony" that's just a space where a few volunteers leave cat food, it would be a kinder mercy to introduce coyotes to it, and if your cat was dumped there he'd probably get FIV and contract a bad case of the dying in short order.
>>
>>4785735
Some cats are too feral to wanna be with people. I think the best thing we can do for them is build them houses with a soft bed to lay on
>>
>>4785785
Those cats are the ones that were abused. The default state of a domestic cat is giving unconditional love to whoever feeds it consistently.

You can give them a home but please keep it 100% separated from the rest of the world. They spread disease and kill beneficial animals while totally failing to suppress pest populations. Outdoor jack russels would unironically be more helpful, except for the tiny piles of dogshit (then again, is cat shit with 1/2" of dirt over it an upgrade or just a stealthier landmine?)
>>
>>4785788
No one can keep them away from the rest of the world, that's impossible. They're part of the world just like any other animals. The best we can do is build/give them the tools they need to survive
>>
Example of community outdoor living in cat houses for cats.
https://www.instagram.com/shropshire_catrescue/
>>
>>4785800
>No one can keep them away from the rest of the world, that's impossible
Explain indoor cats.
>They're part of the world
A domesticated animal is objectively not part of the world. It is a mass manufactured bio-toy created by man.
>The best we can do is build/give them the tools they need to survive
That means keeping them confined because they have 1/3-1/4 the natural lifespan of their natural ancestors.

The cats must be 100% contained. 4 walls, climb-proofed on both sides.
>>
>>4785736
Animal lovers are always selfish retards who understand animals only through the lens of pets (toys for personal amusement). They will never be consistent or in tune with nature. They are weirdly misanthropic yet defend all the same qualities and worse in animals, because animals, through the lens of pets, are their property and in theory totally subordinate to their will, their will being dance for my amusement and ideally don't actually act like the animal you are, be more my phone or an accessory, something inanimate. Humans, offensively, have their own minds. It's a most unnatural and childish thing.
>>
>>4785832
Its unrealistic to expect all ferals will be adopted as indoor cats. We need to start building cat houses, real ones made out of wood not plastic. And establish semi outdoor cat communities
>>
mental illness thread
op should contact animal control, do not feed them
>>
>>4785492
Kittens are almost always adoptable, spay and neuter them and adopt them out. Adults should be humanely euthanized.
>>
>>4785784
>he'd probably get FIV and contract a bad case of the dying in short order.
FIV isn’t exactly lethal like it’s human equivalent is so not really but yes I agree overall
>>
>>4785897
Exhibit A
>>
>>4786009
Not OP but in my area, they are not allowed to remove them since they’re “considered part of the ecosystem”
What are you supposed to do then?
>>
>>4785534
kill yourself
>>
>>4785492
All outdoor cats are feral cats, so taking any action could lead to legal issues in regions that are utterly fucking cucked. In regions that aren't pussified, you shoot them.
>>
>>4786706
If you really want to be a pro gamer, you trap them, tie an incendiary device to their tail, and then release them so mummy's sweety snookykins can bring home an extra special present.
>>
>>4785897
They hate this post because it tells the truth

A cat is a mere pet
Only a dog can be a friend due to their superior intelligence
>>
>>4785534
BASED
>>
File: 1668532765497192.gif (3.5 MB, 288x284)
3.5 MB
3.5 MB GIF
>>4785534
>wasting bullets
blunt end of axe
>>
>>4785492
Shoot them and stop clogging up the board with consolewar bullshit.
Same way you'd do with dogs or coyotes.
>>
>>4785735
Cats are not fully domestic animals
>>
>>4786711
And yes, this is a joke. Of course it's a joke.
>>
>>4786711
And then you'll be charged with murder. Dogfags ruining their lives over cats, you love to see it
>>
File: 1693711864425414.jpg (57 KB, 748x1024)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>4785534
delete this
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (154 KB, 1280x720)
154 KB
154 KB JPG
>>4787177
based and yotepilled
>>
>>4785492
The only solution if they can't find someone that take care of them is take them, sterilize them and then give them food and water until they die. That is what is done where i live. The city takes them, sterelize them,release them and then they now where all the cats are located and they go to feed them regularly. I fyou don't do this then they will keep multiplying and more cats will die from hunger or by cars etc.
>>
>>4787161
If you can't figure out, you'll be caught for sure
>>
>>4785735
>All you are doing is re-abandoning your pets
These aren't OP's "pets", and he has no reason to care for a bunch of feral cats when he considers them an issue. This narrative that anyone who doesn't adopt a bunch of feral cats is a "psychopathic lazy retard" is bizarre
>>
>>4786706
>>4786711
demented
>>
>>4787226
Correct
If you want want them there, you kill them
>>
>>4787159
Putting a cat outdoors proves they still have loads of wild traits. They are not domestic as dogs. They're more like wolfdogs.
>>
>>4785736
>750 people die from toxoplasmosis each year, entirely because roaming cats are shitting on farmland and pasture
half of them are from eating bad meat. any more blatant lies you want to spread dogfucker?
>>
>>4787405
Where do you think meat comes from, Sherlock?
>>
>>4787384
Well, to be fair, putting a cat outdoor to roam free is basically abandoning your responsibility as a pet owner and proves absolutely that you're a shit-headed retard. The cat simply goes feral absent a structured environment. Most of the people who do this are marvelous parents and any kids they had aren't horrifically fucked up from abuse and neglect, by the way.
>>
>>4787177
maybe in the third world
>>
>>4787408
>>4787422
>cant even address their disinfo
maybe if you weren't balls deep in Fido, you'd understand what i even said
>>
>>4787524
maybe you could communicate more effectively if you werent brain damaged by toxoplasmosis
>>
>>4787545
sometimes i wonder if the typical toxofag dog hate is a cover for a dog fetish. it ramps up from "dogfucker" to "balls deep in fido" to gratuitous descriptions of places they think peanut butter could go real quick.
>>
>>4787384
Cats only survive where humans have eliminated all the mesopredators. Feral dogs are the apex predators in several environments. Sure, certain breeds of highly derived dog are less fit in the wild than your average farmyard tabby, but that’s because they’re the dog equivalents of ragdolls, persians, and munchkins. Overall, cats are less fit for wilderness survival than dogs.
>>
>>4787668
Where there are stray dogs you always see the same dog for years and years, like, their full lifespan, as long as they don't get rabies. It's crazy compared to the cat turnover.

We eliminated the street dog as an institution and bred smashed and slammed shit like goldens because dogs are actually so good at surviving without us it's somewhat dangerous. Recently a feral husky decimated a small goat farm near me and they never caught it. 13 goats were killed, one was partially eaten. It was likely an escaped pet that ran back home, and its owners never cared because dogs can pack up and take down moose on saturday and laze around getting pet by kids on sunday and never harm a human in their entire life.
>>
>>4787670
>It was likely an escaped pet that ran back home, and its owners never cared because dogs can pack up and take down moose on saturday and laze around getting pet by kids on sunday and never harm a human in their entire life.
That just seems wildly untrue. Any dog that naturally shows the prey drive and levels of aggression needed to take down wild animals on the level of moose is sure as hell going to display the same aggression towards people, let alone kids or something.
>>
>>4787952
Dogs can tell the differences between species.

Small dogs however? Large dogs appropriately recognize that they are not the same species and sometimes need to be socialized with them.
>>
ITT:
>YOU *VILL* ADOPT ZE DISEASED PESTS EN MASSE
>IT'S *YOUR* FAULT ZAT SOMEONE ABANDONED ZE CAT SOMEWHERE
>YOU *VILL* FEED THEM ON YOUR DIME, TAKE HOURS OUT OF YOUR DAY TO WATCH THEM, AND PAY $200 PER SHITBEAST TO NEUTER IT
>ZEY *VILL* SHIT OUT 10 BABIES FOR EVERY ONE YOU CATCH AND NEUTER AND "ADOPT"
>YOU *VILL* HAVE TOXO AND YOU *VILL* BE HAPPY
This is coming from a guy that likes cats - you people are fucking insane.
>>
>>4786276
Lobby to have that law changed, because that's fucking stupid.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.