[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: catpooping.jpg (200 KB, 1300x956)
200 KB
200 KB JPG
If I bring a cat home from the shelter and I want it to be an "outdoor" cat, how does the cat know it's my cat? What if it just leaves?
Picrel is what's happening to my lawn, this way at least it will be my cat.
>>
>>4776355
I know some of you have four cats.
Tell me now.
>>
>>4776355
It will go where there's food
Feral cat hangs out in my yard because I give it food in the evening. Though I was thinking I should kill it before bird nesting season. I kinda like that cat but it's never going to be socialized to people. I've feed it for 8 months and it won't let me touch it or get very close.
>>
>>4776459
Yeah I know. But I don't want an indoor cat. So I bring it home, put some food in front of my front door. But I don't know if it will walk away and not come back the next day.
>>
>>4776355
>According to UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine, indoor cats live an average of 10 to 15 years while outdoor cats typically live only 2 to 5 years
>>
here before cucks seething about outdoor caterinos show up
>>
>>4776481
That's me, but I'm not going to seethe anymore. I'm just going to get my own outdoor cats.
>>
>>4776472
I don't actually like cats.
>>
>>4776472
Who cares? They're not endangered
>>
>>4776515
All life is precious you autistic sociopath.
>>
>>4776517
No it's not, it's extremely disposable, things just reproduce
>>
>>4776519
Never have children.
>>
>>4776520
Too late but their mothet raises them
>>
>>4776459
If you TNR it, it may become more good with people without all the hormones going through it. Also try feeding it on your porch, and then just a few feet inside your door with it open. I had a feral cat, did both of these with no expectation of it ever even being an outdoor pet let alone an indoor cat. Fast forward a few years and he sleeps indoors and lets anyone pick him up. Super friendly.
>>
>>4776582
Nah I got bluebirds nesting in my yard. I will get rid of it before the eggs hatch.
>>
>>4776355
Cat in the image is really enjoying that shit
>>4776487
kinda based
>>
>pick up cat from shelter
>immediately free it outside
it will just be put back in the shelter and you'll be banned from the shelter, too. Not to mention we all know how hard it is to actually adopt from a shelter.
>>
>>4776355
You should keep the cat indoors for a couple of weeks so that it can establish that's it's home. Make sure to give it some attention. Then you should be fine letting it outside. Cats don't just abandon their owners. You are it's source of food and your home is it's safe space. It would only fuck off if it hated you.
>>4776472
This study must mean "outdoor cats" as in barn cats and feral cats that never go inside. A cat that is simply alllowed outside won't have any less of a lifespan than those that are kept inside all the time.

But is that what you mean OP, you want the cat to be outdoors all the time? You'd better provide it with some kind of adequete shelter.
>>
>>4776778
>A cat that is simply alllowed outside won't have any less of a lifespan than those that are kept inside all the tim-ACK
>WHAT NO! MITTENS!
>YOUR DOG NEEDS TO BE FUCKING PUT DOWN THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN SOCIALIZED WITH CATS BECAUSE I LIKE CATS I MEAN A CHILD WILL BE NEXT BECAUSE CATS > DOGS THEREFORE CHILDREN > DOGS OK!?
>KILL ALL THE COYOTES RIGHT FUCKING NOW
>EAGLES ARE PESTS FUCK THOSE DUMP CHICKENS
>DROP THE SPEED LIMIT TO 10MPH ACTUALLY BAN CARS
>RAT POISON IS UNETHICAL BECASUE MY CAT ATE A POISONED RAT JUST USE CATS TO CONTROL RATS INSTEAD NO SHUT UP IT WORKS ITS TRADITIONAL KNOWLEDGE
>TRAPPING RACCOONS AND SKUNKS SHOULD BE ILLEGAL ACTUALLY THINK OF THE FELINE COLLATERAL
>TNR WORKS AND I REFUSE TO NEUTER MY BOY WE'RE BOTH MEN WE'RE BROTHERS
Every time.

Basically like third world dog owners but in the first world for some reason

No, cats do not belong outside. Especially not outside of your property. Which would require a roof or climb-proof fences, which you don't have. So keep them inside.
>>
hiding your gay console wars thread lol
>>
>>4776355
I hope you restrict it to your lawn, or at least castrate it so it wont go outside and create a new generation of small wildlife killers every 3 months
>>
>>4776782
this
me and some coworkers were talking about our pets and one guy listed off 5 cats
I said that’s a lot of cats and he said they only ever had 1 at a time, it’s just that:
>3 got hit by cars
>1 just disappeared
>1 died of a mystery illness when it was a couple years old
just keep your cats in the fucking house

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.