[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1713216463242661.webm (2.09 MB, 1280x720)
2.09 MB
2.09 MB WEBM
I finally got this old faggot game working. Heres a complete guide for any fellow zoomers who want to play this classic after much trial and error here a complete guide to get both Classic Homeworld 1 and Homeworld Emergence aka Cataclysm running on a modern PC (in ultrawide w/no stretching)

>Homeworld 1:

find an old copy of ISO from internet archive (one bundled with remaster is on a different patch that other reddit posts say is untested and may have bugs)

install the 1.05 patch from here (just unzip and just run the patcher.exe anywhere)

download the 1.05 NO-CD patch from here, move to game directory and run, now can uneject mounted ISO

download the hardware acceleration fix from here, run

run game, set renderer to OpenGL and 1200x1600 32bit resolution, close

Open regedit, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Sierra On-Line\Homeworld and change the screenHeight and screenWidth to your monitor res (in decimal)

create a shortcut of your homeworld.exe, tick run as admin in properties (if you don't do this the regedits wont apply)

in shortcut add these commandline arguments to target field: /triple /disableAVI /safeGL /heap 268435456 (these enable triple buffering, disable intro screens, make openGL not glitch out (VERY IMPORTANT), and let you use more ram, in order respectively)

>Emergence: same as above

install from GOG somewhere

run game, set renderer to OpenGL and 1200x1600 32bit resolution

Open regedit, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Sierra On-Line\Cataclysm and do same as before

using the shortcut gog made, tick run as admin in properties

in shortcut add these commandline arguments to target field: /triple /disableAVI /safeGL /heap 268435456

Then in your gpu settings you can also try to add AA or anisotropic filtering, not sure if its working for me though. IMPORTANT: /safeGL may not be needed with your GPU and it may decrease graphics quality or effects (I cant tell), but if you are seeing glitches enable it.
>>
>>1729778
here are the links (you) need

https://www.patches-scrolls.com/homeworld.php (1.05 patch)

https://gamecopyworld.com/games/pc_homeworld.shtml#Homeworld%20Game%20Updates (no CD patch)

https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/5-homeworld-hardware-acceleration-fix/ (hardware acceleration fix)
>>
>>1729778
Yeah, rather just get the remaster to plug and play without all the technobabble
>>
>>1729991
The remaster is fucking crap and feels like a HW2 mod.
>>
>homeworld
fucking LOVE it, top 5 best games i have ever played, all those years ago. still replay it every now and then. absolutely no other game made me feel these feels.
amazing that they just made some people talk to a mic and they have more personality than some AAA characters today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm_81_VDa1E
>>
>>1729778
what about the mod
>>
>>1729778
I went through all this hell like a month ago when I was playing HW. Devs literally released a shitty 1.06 HW Classic patch in like 2020 or some shit that literally just broke the game for modern systems causing crashes on explosions and stretched textures. That's literally all the patch did: broke a game that was working fine before. Ended up just using the splendor mod which "just works" and was a lot simpler than downloading the 1.05 game off some abandanware site and fucking with registries.
>>
File: 1289312520626.jpg (194 KB, 1920x1080)
194 KB
194 KB JPG
>>1729778
>>1730041
HW has no replay value. I see no reason why I should replay it after having played it, like you, 2 decades ago. People who haven't played it don't care about old games and your thread.
>>
>>1734478
those things look like brain bugs
>>
>>1734478
dumb zoomer
>>
>>1734478
>replay value
bugman way of thinking

>People who haven't played it don't care about old games

90 IQ logic.

HW is definitely worth playing today if you like RTS. Being old has a higher correlation with an RTS being good than any other metric. I played HW for the first time a month ago. Very technically unique and competent game that could not have been made today as seen with how the current HW devs completely butchered the concept with HW3.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.