[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

What strategy game is this?
>>
>>1722599
None because vidya marketing requires it to add content rather than taking it away (hence why even old games get remakes/remasters). Also Saint-Exupery was a novelist, so not the best one to quote on topics of vidya.

If you want close contenders its abandonware stuffs, like Rise of Legends.
>>
File: screenshot-2.jpg (192 KB, 1400x1050)
192 KB
192 KB JPG
>>1722599
Mini Metro
>>
>>1722607
Not a strategy game, but tru.
>>
>>1722599
into the breach
>>
>>1722599
You can hear Leonard Nimoy say that quote in Civ 4
>>
>>1722599
That quote is retarded because few people have the will and capital to buy very specific items with very specific uses.
The engineer mantra of put as much stuff as will fit is superior as it allows more people to get more use out of things.
>>
>>1722730
no, i think you're not quite right in the interpretation.
you can't remove anything from let's say, a knife, but a knife's uses and utility are almost limitless
>>
>>1722756
It's so limitless we have utility knives that add extra parts to have more utility
>>
>>1722764
i don't get it
>>
>>1722730
Because this quote is misused often. The full context is Saint-Exupery arguing that nature and technology isn't really separate things, as any tool we make tends to ultimately become an extension of our appendages. Hence, the best designs are simple because they resemble biological designs. It's him arguing against Luddites who were professing that technology will take away humanity.

>It is as if there were a natural law which ordained that to achieve this end, to refine the curve of a piece of furniture, or a ship's keel, or the fuselage of an airplane, until gradually it partakes of the elementary purity of the curve of a human breast or shoulder, there must be the experimentation of several generations of craftsmen. In anything at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away, when a body has been stripped down to its nakedness.....(cont. several paragraphs).
>And thus, also, the realities of nature resume their pride of place. It is not with metal that the pilot is in contact, Contrary to the vulgar illusion, it is thanks to the metal, and by virtue of it, that the pilot rediscovers nature. As I have already said, the machine does not isolate man from the great problems of nature but plunges him more deeply into them.
~ Wind, Sands and Stars, Ch.3 Tools (Terre des Hommes, 1939)

To criticize he romanticized how 'simple' biology is (any doctor can tell you it's not), but the main techno-humanist message I think is okay and somewhat true.
>>
>>1722766
He means there are knives for slicing, chopping, cutting, butchering, buttering, throwing, killing, etc. You probably have several types of knives in your kitchen instead of just one. What he's saying is there are swiss army knives because knives are far from limitless in function.
>>
>>1722599
Probably games like Chess or Risk.
>>1722607
Also a good answer
>>
>>1722868
>He means there are knives for slicing, chopping, cutting, butchering, buttering, throwing, killing, etc
all can be accomplished with a chef's knife, if not as well. what gives, first he rails against having specific items with very specific uses, then he belittles a knife's usefulness because specialty knives exist?
>What he's saying is knives are far from limitless in function
in that case, he should also mention that knives can't be used for welding, cleaning the floor, or driving my mother to the emergency room when her urethra is blocked by a kidney stone. since we're being literal. no, a knife doesn't literally have infinite functions. i'm sorry i led people to believe that's what i was saying.
>>
>>1722604
>Also Saint-Exupery was a novelist, and not the best one
ftfy
>>
>>1722877
Do you think it unnecessary that humans have different kinds/shapes of teeth?
>>
>>1722906
this is on the trajectory of becoming one of those conversations where we attempt to outstrawman and outretard each other and i don't feel like it today
consider me defeated
>>
File: this is NOT a hat.jpg (79 KB, 700x700)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>>1722730
>>1722805
>>1722883
Okay real question time, was AdS-E a vorefag?
>>
>>1722696
Based ITB enjoyer. NuCum has nothing on this shit.
>>
File: Rose Wife.png (307 KB, 580x730)
307 KB
307 KB PNG
>>1722985
I think he was more into femdom. His daring Latino blood.... marrying a widower and divorcee.
>>
>>1722599
the initial release of civilization 5

someone on civfanatics had that quote as a signature and was doing damage control telling everyone that the game wasn't a load of shit
>>
>>1722599
By this account, newly released paradox games are perfect (they’re not) and they get unperfect over time
>>
File: clash of clans.png (1.87 MB, 1920x1080)
1.87 MB
1.87 MB PNG
>>1722599
Clash of clans
>>
>>1723452
based retard
>>
>>1722599
factorio 1.2 without the expansion
>>
>>1723452
that is indeed the case
>>
>>1724926
>Added a shit ton
>Didn't remove anything
idk anon
>>
>>1722599
EU IV
>>
DEFCON, RA2, Majesty 1 without the expansion, HoMM2, World in Conflict, S.W.I.N.E., Solar Settlers
>>
>>1722599
UFO Enemy Unknown
>>
>>1722599
Master of Orion 1
>>
>>1722723
Which is ironic since Civ 4 was full of pointless features >>1727107
>>
>>1725035
>world in conflict
I love that game but the artillery units of the support role don't have that much use when every role has access to the tactical aid menu and can effortlessly do more damage and call counter-battery your units
if the other 3 roles had limited access to tactical aids but their own artillery units (infantry mortars and SPGs, air doesn't need arty) then maybe but as it is support only uses repair and AA units
>>
>>1722599
so this was todd's inspiration?
>>
>>1722599
kill yourself /v/tard
>>
>>1722599
nice detached earlobes you fucking sped
>>
>>1722599
>>
>>1724895
I can remove a lot from clash of clans and make it less shit in the process
For example, the grind.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.