[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

ITT: The hardest RTS campaigns you've ever played
>>
File: OIP.jpg (27 KB, 474x271)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
Never got past the 3rd mission. Base campaign was a breeze even on hard. Expansion campaign is ridiculously tough
>>
File: Enslavers_Logo.jpg (111 KB, 1280x720)
111 KB
111 KB JPG
And I never beat the final mission of this one as a kid, even with savescumming. Been wanting to give it another shot as an adult
>>
File: 1532352607984.png (62 KB, 300x300)
62 KB
62 KB PNG
>>1722254
AOE2:DE Le Loi on hard difficulty
>>
man, i love warcraft 2. no metas, no competitive community, build orders, aps, studying wikis, shortcut optimization, just pure unadulterated rts experience. no bagge, it is just fun. created the genre, everything fits like a glove, you have the intuitions muscle memory already.

there's a remake of the engine, that allows it to run on modern pc's. needs original assets from gog, or old-games.ru (https://stratagus.com/)
>>
File: tne.jpg (336 KB, 1600x1204)
336 KB
336 KB JPG
>>1722254
Majesty - The Northern Expansion filtered me hard.
>>
>>1722359
>thinking the game has none of that
boy have I got some bad news for you
>>
>>1723374
Oh, you mean the main problem of which no one takes the concept of "competitive esports" seriously anon?
>>
>>1723375
I legitimately do not understand what you just said, but warcraft 2 has metas, build orders, and a competitive community
not like any of that would change the game for someone who solely plays single player or with friends, you know, like every other rts
>>
>>1722359
>man, i love warcraft 2. no metas, no competitive community, build orders, aps, studying wikis
all of that is included, you're just ignoring it.
what if I told you... you can play brood war and frozen throne with the EXACT same attitude... and have FUN? Try it, it's great.
>>
Warcraft 2's meta is actually pretty straightforward: bloodlusted ogres. To the point that most matches online are orc vs orc, as humans have no hope to compete in a straight fight.

But as mentioned above, none of that matters when you're not playing competitive mp. I'm pretty happy just playing the campaigns
>>
>>1722365
Fucking barrows
>>
File: 1690947440723748.webm (1.21 MB, 480x480)
1.21 MB
1.21 MB WEBM
>>1722359
ignorance is bliss.
>>
>>1722254
I'm about to play Beyond the Dark Portal. Which campaign is harder?
>>
>>1722256
i got stomped in the tutorial
if this site wasn't anonymous, you could never get me to admit this
>>
>>1725932
How? You don't even fight an enemy base in the tutorial
>>
>>1725946
isn't this thing he's attacking here considered a "base"?
https://youtu.be/rfdD6jr3gDM?si=SfJdY3-AXrw0wG83&t=2397
i should clarify, i didn't actually get my stuff wiped from the map, i just lost all my troops and a fight and was completely exposed to a counterattack, so i GG'd, so to speak
>>
>>1725953
Fair enough. It's been ages since I last played the tutorials. But I do recommend going back and giving it another shot if you want. Kohan is criminally underrated
>>
>>1725932
>>1725953
And if it makes you feel better, I lost the tutorial campaign in AI War 1. Not just lost all my units but actually got my base overrun. Only time it ever happened
>>
>>1725921
From GameFAQS:

>Plot aside, the expansion is, as normal, more of the same. There are 12 levels
for each side, but they are a lot more difficult that any of the original set
(except some of the 12-14 levels). Level-wise the human's have the hardest
two levels, but the orcs have more hard levels. Both have a couple of levels
that a surprisingly easy though (if you're careful).
>>
File: from dust challenges.jpg (14 KB, 201x251)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
>>
*loads cheat engine*
Nothing personal.
>>
>>1722254
Anno 1503 destroyed my ass, on mission 3 or so you have to avert a bankruptcy gameover within like 10 minutes and I couldn't do it
>>
Mental Omega is hard as balls.
>>
>>1726380
Agreed. How can a returning player even begin to dare hope playing its missions?
My butt was ravaged into horbit very soon
>>
>>1722359
>created the genre,
That would be either Dune II which it copies and improves upon, or C&C.
>>
>>1725921
From what I remember, the human campaign. But I have last played the expansion a very long time ago. I dropped the original mid replay for RL reasons. I will probably have to restart the campaigns someday.
>>
>>1726342
Zoomie this was the age when Cheat Codes were built into the game. Just "It is a good day to die" and you are done.
>>
>>1722257
What was this game? An official Blizzard campaign? Or was it like Duke!Zone where another company sold a CD with new missions? I think I tried it and couldn't even beat the first mission.
>>
>>1727061
It was in the custom campaign map included with the game.
>>
>>1722254
Empire Earth's Russian campaign
>>
>>1726823
I still remember the time I had gotten all the way through the frozen throne orc campaign and gotten to right before where you fight admiral proudmoore and my cousin saw me playing and just goes hey wanna see something cool and types in "whos your daddy" into the chat and activated the one hit kill invincibility cheat lol. I was like wow thats cool and then another time when I was playing a 4v4 mp game I typed it into chat and one of the enemy players thought I was insulting him and my teammate told me in team chat that cheats don't work in mp.
>>
File: potatotruck.jpg (309 KB, 1077x810)
309 KB
309 KB JPG
>>1727111
this man knows https://i.4cdn.org/wsg/1713211129381545.webm
>>
>>1725921
I heard orcs is harder because you can't heal your hero characters and you automatically lose if they die. I only played the games with cheat codes when I was a kid.
>>
>>1727111
>he has never beaten Lost Souls
Sad, but also don't.
>>
>>1722257
fucking hell I get flashbacks, forgot how hard those missions were. Took me hours for the final mission
>>
that one map in Earth 2140 where your base is outright attacked filtered me.
>>
>>1729681
nearly more than a decade after, I still remember how after losing so many times in the second mission, I just went "fuck it" and focused everything into mass nuke bombers.
funny how the rest of the campaign was relatively easier, until the last mission of course.
>>
Not entire campaign, but one of the missions of the Core campaign in Total Annihilation. "Departing Rougepelt" is outright broken. 30 seconds into the mission and you're attacked by a large army and gunships.

It's one of those mission the enemy starts will a full army but on standby, while you start with nothing. But the level has random meteor showers that can hit anywhere on the map. 8 times out of 10 the meteors will hit some of the enemy army, wake them up and move en masse to your position. Just bad level design
>>
I can't think of many campaigns that shriveled my balls from start to finish, but I can think of many individual missions.
>Tibsun
>Nod have to retrieve the Tacitus from a train
>a train that easily outruns all your units
>will only stop for a few seconds at each station
>oh yeah there's a GDI base and a rogue Nod base to deal with
>here's 1 attack cycle you faggot
>>
>>1726220
You are misremembering. This game was insanely easy
>>
>>1722254
Men of War Red Tide
A campaign full of stealth missions. In an RTS.
>>
Mental Omega isn't necessarily hard but christ it's intense. i know I'm in for an hour of holding on to dear life until I figure out what's exactly what they want to me attack first.
>>
>>1739169
Can't you just block the tracks with a unit?
>>
>>1739169
>>1741299
Just checked and hostile trains just crush or blow up anything in their way. Also it's "Salvage Operation" and I don't have the patience to finish it again today. I don't remember the mission well but just from having 2 buggies and 3 riflemen in addition to the bike you've mentioned versus patrolling groups of titans and diskthrowers it's prime bullshit.
>>
Just an exercise in trying and dying. Rinse and repeat until you figure out what works.
>>
Finally got around to doing "Salvage Operation" and it's one of those puzzle missions. I remember from the previous runs that it is supposed to end with you keeping at least one of your engineers alive until you stumble into the crashed ship in the middle of the map and then you start getting fucked by reinforcements or computer-controlled opponents waking up and starting to spend the money they have been accumulating. Unless I'm mixing it up with the equivalent GDI mission.

Either way, you can instead go all the way around the map to Hassan's forces base and take it. But for that you need to feed the civilian units and structures to your 3 grunts because they are the only ones who can both quickly gain those experience levels necessary for getting partial regeneration and okay enough at dealing with everything without dying to it simultaneously.
There is one group of civilian (but hostile) units and buildings right away and another near the northern border of the map.
>>
>>1726819
Original Warcraft was as influential as Dune II. Resource gathering with peasants, multiple unit selection, but yeah, it's Dune II that's solely responsible for the genre.

>>1741681
These were made to sell walkthroughs. I mean, it's possible to complete them on your own, but they really require save scumming and multiple retries.
>>
>>1741681
>>1741622
what are today's recommended versions for the first games and tibsun?
>>
I was going to say Company of Heroes 1 on expert but a quick look on youtube shows people effortlessly beating it by cheesing the AI
>>
>>1741681
Oh so it's a "capture a construction yard and a refinery when a harvester is unloading" kind of mission.
Gotcha.
>>
>>1742146
i think the history fags say the first rts was herzog zwei
>>
Battle Realms is bullshit, that mission where you have to defend one central building from raiders and all you have us all the heroes you've met so far (and you can permanently miss if you choose the "wrong" missions on the overworld map) filters me every time
>>
>>1742316
Probably the remaster for the first games.

Cncnets version of Tiberian sun just worked for me. On Linux as well.
>>
>>1742146
>These were made to sell walkthroughs. I mean, it's possible to complete them on your own, but they really require save scumming and multiple retries.
You vere bound to reload about 3 times per 2 missions on a completely new campaign anyway. Not everyone was yet so good as to recover from most mistakes even in the relatively easy campaigns of that age.
And that specific mission is one of the worse thought-through ones, that anon is right.

>>1742460
Kind of, in fact you can just go straight sought from that northern train stop (which you can blow up for experience anyway), blow up the truck that actually has the mission goal (spawned as a veterancy "crate") and have your win in like 10 minutes if you took your time. You don't even need to send an engineer into the ship.
The trick is surviving the patrols with each infantry group including 1 diskthrower, and especially the two titans on the big loop below the bridges. From what I remember if the walkers see your units they lock onto them and not return to patrol (the only thing I remembered from playing the mission many years ago).
>>
>>1742316
I'm the one who posted the screenshot and I'm playing the original just with Firestorm. Which, turns out, greatly improves veterancy (halves requirements and doubles non-specific benefits) and that helps in this mission quite a lot.
>>
The order in which I managed to beat the campaigns for the first time:

>RA: Soviets
>TD: GDI
>TS: GDI
>TS: NOD
>RA: Allies
>TD: NOD

In my experience the campaigns get easier with every newer game. Although beating it for the first time, meaning that I played it on easy mode when I got stuck (and still getting stuck, lol). Note that the original version of TD didn't have difficulties back then, they natively started with the release of RA. Generally, GDI campaigns are easier than NOD, Soviet are easier than Allies.
TB campaigns had a few missions that were real stoppers which let you leave the game for several months or even years to retry later. Also there were missions that were significantly harder than their alternative choices. Note also that you couldn't save on the mission selection menu, so just 'picking the other one' wasn't an option, especially when you haven't saved your game for a long time and sometimes had to replay 3 missions.
>>
>>1723406
>what if I told you... you can play brood war and frozen throne with the EXACT same attitude... and have FUN? Try it, it's great.
You can even play the original Starcraft with that attitude. Without even patching it. It's actually better because no medics, no corsairs, no retarded balance changes.
>>
>>1742146
>These were made to sell walkthroughs
Christ I never thought of that! The masochism that went into some missions makes sense now.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.