[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

>/vrpg/ says Fallout 4 is bad
>Is actually fun
What gives?
>>
Fallout was only good as a crpg
>>
File: Fallout 4 quests.png (466 KB, 624x495)
466 KB
466 KB PNG
Good action game with RPG elements.

Bad for filling whatever criteria any specific anons have for RPGs. Limited to those who actually like to argue about these things.
>>
>>3464575
>hide thread
>>
>>3464575
>Is actually fun
Roleplayers make their own fun, unsupervised. Then there's people who put the responsibility on the game, and think number autism is roleplaying.
>why should i roleplay when the game doesn't force me into it and reward me for it?
>>
>>3464575
after dumping 35 mods it got less shitty. Can't fix the completely broken core.
>>
its only good as a modding sandbox and even then its pretty piss poor

wait for F4NV
>>
>>3464610
>wait for F4NV
London?
>>
I found the fps mechanics to be top tier for any kind of rpg and the weapon customization to be similarly entertaining but the actual “rpg mechanics” (basically means combat abstracted with numbers) to be lacking enough to not really enjoy leveling and so I don’t usually go past level 10 or so, out of boredom. Voiced protagonist as well as having a totally defined adult life was retarded. Survival mode is also pretty fun. Overall it’s less fun than 3 and the 3 spin off game.
>>
File: skeptical cat.png (340 KB, 641x701)
340 KB
340 KB PNG
>>3464587
I see what you're doing... you're trying to start an argument!
>>
>>3464575
I was reluctant to play it for a long time after a friend bought it for me, but I tried and was positively surprised. After 20 hours the boredom kicked in and I don't think I'll ever play it again
>>
Why do people think this game is fun? The "fun" aspects are honestly not even good at all. The shooting is complete trash and it's not even better than New Vegas, the guns look mostly terrible, it does everything worse
>>
>>3467408
>The shooting is not even better than New Vegas
lol
>>
>>3467408
the novelty of exploration and the combat encounters can be enjoyable but as was stated when youre comfortable with the systems and realise theres nothing else to them eventually the lack of depth becomes painfully apparent and youre just going through the motions if you really wanted an RPG OR a sandbox game.

if the plot revolved around your settlement of choice and actually had a game focused on wasteland survival it might been above average but as it stands it was too diluted and at the same time too up itself to let the player have much freedom. they wrote a linear action game with a preset character background and added RPG mechanics

fallout is generally about some guy who does some shit he feels like doing at the time on the way to his important main objective, not Nate, 35, Wisconsin, former Marine looking for his son who also has time to go to an island and play blade runner
>>
>>3464575
STOP HAVING FUN
>>
>>3464587
You're the kinda guy who would be happy roleplaying in an empty sandbox. Why aren't you on gm_construct right now?
>>
>>3464575
>What gives?
You have terrible taste.
The game is a skinner box; there is nothing to think about. The entire game is markers to follow and buttons to press.
>>
>>3464575
Despite playing over 100 hours I never finished the main story, just realized I was tired of the repetitive shoot/loot gameplay loop with almost 0 role-playing and quit.
Hope Fallout London is good cause it's probably the only way I'll give this game another shot after so many years.
>>
>>3467408
there's your problem, you played an rpg as if it were a shooter.
>>
>>3464575
not an RPG
>hides thread
>>
>install game
>mod the shit out of it
>enjoy it forever
Bethesda games are god-tier.
>>
>>3467597
But it's a terrible RPG
>>
All Bethshit games past Morrowind are totally puke vomit.
Morrowind/Daggerfall/Arena weren't that good too but at least they had some semblance of an idea and vision.
Oblivion, FO3, Skyrim, FO3 and 76 are all putrid shit.
Bethesda died as a company the moment the disgusting Kike Altman became head.
>>
File: enb2023_10_12_20_59_36.jpg (2.02 MB, 3840x2160)
2.02 MB
2.02 MB JPG
>>3467708
it works on my machine. sounds like a (you) problem.
>>
>>3467720
Bethesda's games past Morrowind are mods of Morrowind.
>>
>>3464575
Its a fps hack and slash loot collecter like 3 but with more rushed content. Most of the dungeons and quests were a rushed job just places to kill ghouls for loot.
>>
>>3467800
It also works on my machine, the fact that you installed mods like that is basically admission that the actual game is a terrible RPG and you might as well install Japanese Mecha musume coom shit
>>
>>3468005
>plays a bethesda game
>willingly chooses to not install mods
like i said, it's a you problem, mainly being that you're an autistic dumbass.
>>
>>3464575
Because /vrpg/ is a board for fans of roleplaying games. If you were to ask a physicist to write a philosophy paper, it probably wouldn't be a very good philosophy paper
>>
>>3467833
But worse.
>>
>>3468015
Not lore friendly ones dumbass. FNV is good without mods and even better with them
>>
>>3464575
>What gives?
You are fucking normalfag scum and should go back.
>>
>>3468021
>If you were to ask a physicist to write a philosophy paper, it probably wouldn't be a very good philosophy paper
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
>>
I fully accknowledge New Vegas is the far superior ga,e. I however enjoy FO4 even if it isnt as good. Mostly because I love the Minutemen and protecting the commonwealth from all potential threats and wish I had gotten to do things like this in a NV post-game as we are fixing up the Mojave. So ill patrol around fand do some trading and come running whenever my settlements need me even if its just to watch my meticulously developed town defenses absolutely fuckrape anything that dares try
>>
>>3464587
>Roleplayers make their own fun, unsupervised
So every game is a roleplaying game then. Fucking Team Fortress 2 could be an RPG with this criteria as long as you're autistic enough.
>>
>>3464575
it's a fun sandbox for about 10-20 hours and then the novelty wears off and you realize just how shallow every aspect of the game is and it cant be fixed by simple mods. i liked fallout 3 enough to nearly 100% it but i wasnt able to stomach fallout 4 for more than 20 hours.
>>
>>3464575
it's only fun if you mod it into a CoD/horror survival game and try to fix the countless mistakes in the game. Which is near impossible and absolutely folly as you should just play a better game.
>>
>Bethesda shill makes braindead thread with coomer OP pic
Reminder that Saging a thread in the options field is a thing retards
>>
>>3464575

The gameplay is fun but the story is poorly written. At various times, it contradicts itself or else doesn't make important lore points clear (eg: at times synths have free will and at times they don't, at times they know they're synths and at times they don't, the faction that wants you to protect the synths also wants you to destroy the only organisation with the capacity for creating synths, the Institute is kidnapping, murdering and replacing wastelanders as part of some grand scheme...that's never explained or explored further)

The gunplay is fun though
>>
>>3471008
How about the idea of making Synths almost completely human to the point its basically cloning a human around a couple artificial parts programing them to feel fear and pain on purpose then saying they totally dont because they arent human so they dont feel it.
>>
>>3471044
Interesting point. Perhaps this is why synths were added to the game, generating discussion and differing opinions for the players and their characters.
>>
>>3471044
synths are the smoking gun evidence bethesda didnt give a shit about the game.
They are literally just human npcs. Even in Skyrim they made vampires different.
>>
>>3471047
Vampires are different
>>
>>3471049
cope, synths and vampires essentially are the same narrative device
>>
>>3464575
Action games can't be RPGs and it is bad compromise between action FPS and RPG
>>
>>3471056
glad nv isnt an rpg
>>
>>3471055
..Appearance is different
>>
>>3471066
because bethesda put no effort into synths
>>
>>3471083
They really needed to make synths distinguishable from real people, but instead they just lazily copied people and called them synths.
>>
File: 1000006360.jpg (112 KB, 797x1220)
112 KB
112 KB JPG
>>3464575
Probably the case of "good game, bad Fallout". It was my first fallout game and loved it. Then went back to 3, it was like a worse version of 4, then checked Nev Vegas, it was full of great ideas but ugly as hell, literally looked like shit. I refuse to play older garbage.
>>
Emil here, Caesar is actually a synth.
>>
File: Gen 2 Synth.jpg (247 KB, 1920x1080)
247 KB
247 KB JPG
>>3471098
>>3471083
but... the whole point is that they're indistinguishable from humans. If they wanted them to make sparks when you shot them that's literally something that can be changed in a drop down in the G.E.C.K.

Otherwise there's the older generations of synths.

What were you hoping for exactly?
>>
>>3471135
Synths are supposed to be super human, yet theres nothing to indicate this.
They could have done literally anything
>synths have their own animations, can throw the player like a terminator, jump off buildings or jump great heights
>their skin can change into hardened liquid metal when in combat
>their appearance could be more glaringly unusual or attractive compared to other npcs
>their arms could transform into a weapon (actual concept art thing)
>>
>>3471135
It doesn't make sense. They're synths, not real people, they shouldn't be the same. Emil just thought "wouldn't it be cool to have people who are robots but you don't know it" and then wrote this dog shit story
>>
>>3471139
It would be cool if they had rocket fists
>>
>>3471147
feels worse than that, feels like they just made them human npcs as a short cut then wrote around it. Thats why the synths bizarrely have almost zero characteristics to distinguish them as synths. Even the Institute can't keep track of them
>>
>>3471151
They could have a texture of a barcode on their forehead or at least something, but no, too much work for Todd
>>
File: Sarge.webm (2.78 MB, 924x520)
2.78 MB
2.78 MB WEBM
>>3471139
I mean, Super Mutants are meant to be super human but they didn't really do anything to indicate that in the classic Fallouts either. They just have slightly more HP (can still be 2 shot by the 25 damage BB Gun so assuming only 50HP) and usually carry bigger guns.

Otherwise, sure, synths don't fight like Sentry Bots or Assaultrons. Might have been neat if they did.

Though since they can take the roles of normal people in roles that would see combat, those boosts would have to be hidden most of the time.
>>
>>3471155
I dunno, wouldn't you call Bethesda stupid if they put such an obvious clue as a forehead barcode onto synths?

I'm sure you already think Beth is stupid but throwing more bad ideas into the pot wouldn't help anything.
>>
>>3471157
Maybe laser eyes that glow?
>>
>>3471156
the game missed the perfect narrative opportunity of a town that is overrun by synth infiltrators.
The player wouldn't be aware of this until a certain point in the town, when half the town starts attacking. This could be revealed by the synths suddenly stop acting human and move around in super human ways or their appearance changes.
>>
>>3471158
their eyes could change colour when they are revealed
>>
>>3471159
They could start flying and shooting missiles like iron man, and you would need to get the power armor to fly and battle them in the air
>>
>>3464575
People play Fallout for the story. If they cared about RPG mechanics more than story and atmosphere, then the series would've died with FO1. Therefore, Fallout 4 having a bad story means it's bad.
>>
>>3471171
They could be impervious to small arms fire and can smash through concrete walls. They'd be fast enough to catch missiles fired at them and throw them back at you.

They could also take over any lesser robots nearby to join them in their fight and even super charge and upgrade them and change their voice lines to be more intimidating.
>>
>>3471190
And when they're almost dead after a long battle, they say "Heh, you almost got us, human. Almost." and all the synths get together to form one giant Super Synth
>>
>>3471171
funnily enough the early draft of Fo4 had flying jetpack enemies
>>
>>3471199
They should have replaced that first Deathclaw in Concord with a Synth as well. Really show the player early on the real enemy of the game as it disintegrates raiders left and right.

The raider boss comes in wearing power armor and acting super confident but the synth just blasts a hole straight through him.

Objective: Survive.

Fallout 4 really wasted so much potential they had for synths by just making them indistinguishable from normal humans.
>>
>>3471207
one feature that works in Bethesdas engine really well is enemies can reform themselves after being blown apart.
That would be really funny to see in the gorey Fallout world
>>
>>3471207
Then dogmeat turns to the player
>"I'm sure glad those synths don't walk among us"
Then the player says
>"You can talk?"
>>
>>3471207
>after you help Preston with the raiders in the museum
>preston shoots one of the survivors
>people scream lookout hes a synth
>after you kill him your character says holy cow that was a robot? what year is it?
>>
Fallout 4 is only good for playing a strongfat bandit warlord lady with a shota sex slave.
>>
>>3464575
It's fun if you just want to build settlements and explore dungeons but the quests are awful and the factions are shit
>>
>>3471155
Pitch black oil for blood, small microdot barcode somewhere on the body that could be mistaken for a birthmark, sparks when a limb is broken
>>
File: 1714670778588.jpg (366 KB, 925x1134)
366 KB
366 KB JPG
>>3471129
Reminder that this full remake of New Vegas inside Fallout 4 is still in development

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@Fallout4NewVegas/videos

Dev discord where they post news and updates: https://discord.com/invite/jaCkBFz
just remember to never make any posts and mute every channel that isn't an announcement channel
>>
>>3464575
Fallout 4 was literally the first Fallout game I ever played after hearing about the games through faction discussions on /v/.
And honestly, it is the quintessential 6/10 for me - not quite mediocre since I did not want to drop this game whatsoever while playing but far from being anything praiseworthy not to mention replayable.
>>
>>3473969
With how New Vegas modding is going nowadays it'll reach gameplay parity with Fallout 4 before this project is anywhere near complete.
>>
>>3464575
>want to replay Fallout 4
>dropped the game last time at the reveal that your son is le bad guy leader
>remember the settlement-building shit
>urge to play Fallout 4 goes away

The settlements are such a chore. I wish there was a mod the remove that whole part of the game.
>>
>>3471008
>>3471044
>>3471044
Everything related to the synths or the institute is easily the worst part of the game.
Right after the settlement-mechanics that are forced on you.
>>
>>3474314
there's a way to get around that kind of. before you go visit preston go to all the locations in the game with settlements and take over them. if that means the people currently living there die under msyterious circumstances so be it. than you have all of the settlements getting your help and you dont gotta go on preston missions. I think I ended up with only like 7 settlers in the main settlement (your home town) and my def system kept it safe. also who said you need to play thru the main story at all. be a scav who has a base or 2 and dont do settlements.
>>
>>3474314
>remember the settlement-building shit
you only need to make 500 wall-mounted shelves at the start of the game and the teleporter setup at the end, you can completely ignore crafting in between
>>
>>3464575
Vault girls don't look like this because Bethesda has godawful character artists
>>
>>3474314
>I wish there was a mod the remove that whole part of the game.

Sim Settlements automates it for you, anon.
>>
>>3474457
>Sim Settlements
Stop.
That mod is a fucking mess.

It replaces one terrible mechanic with another terrible mechanic except its even more buggy and chugs your systems resources harder than Denuvo.
>>
File: 1483664095200.jpg (223 KB, 900x675)
223 KB
223 KB JPG
>>3471207
>>3471219
>>3471190
>>3471199
Which doesnt solve the general problem how retarded everything about the Institute and the Synths is.

Compare the Institute with BigMT and the technological advances.
Both kinda have a similar backstory where they started planing after the ZAX-Supercomputers declared that Nuclear Annihilation is an inevitability 20-30 years before the great war.
But with BigMT the technology is clunky and weird and fits with the overall tone of the game, even with the whole theme of how the scientists hit a wall when it came to computers which is why the Robo-Brains were a thing.

BigMT comes up with bunch of geniuses that have limited resources but unlimited time on their hands and so they spent it on improving certain technologies like the PowerArmor-Idea into the life preservation suits.

The Institute somehow miniaturized robots in 200 years to such a degree to go from these clunky big and limited machines into being indistinguishable from humans while not having any infrastructure to really support these technological leaps with said leaps handwaved away with the whole "oh they are just different generations of synths"
They try to do the whole Bladerunner-shit but its like it was written by a retarded child who skimmed over the Fallout-Bible and fell asleep while watching Bladerunner.

They never even make clear what Synths really are which just shows a general lack of vision and throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks.
Are they Meatrobots like Replicants in Bladerunner or they Androids like Data from Star Trek?
Why are they trying to do both at the same time?
Why the whole thing about self-awareness?
Why try to replace the population when synths cannot pro-create yet the Institute declares the FEV-Program a failure when they notice how Supermutants are sterile?
Why not just make them clones you could still have the "themes" you want without the constant narrative dissonance?
>>
>>3467613
I swear to god I have no idea what these retards are on about. Imagine complaining about a Bethesda game? Like really!?
Is there a bigger outting?

I have 461 mods installed, I played 500 hours into the game, and I couldn't stop fucking playing.

Imagine complaining you don't like Skyrim. WHICH FUCKING SKYRIM!

Bro, you are complaining that you don't like the game you chose.
>>
>>3474344
mine look like that. sounds like a (you) problem.
>>
>>3471129
Literally me.
Unironically have no idea how these retards don't take time as a factor and only rely on nostalgia for their "rates"
>>
File: 7f2.jpg (116 KB, 587x645)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
>>3476140
>>3476221
>>3476276
Why are you bragging about being mentally retarded?
Did you tie your whole identity to LIKING POPULAR THING? Is that the issue here?
>>
>>3464575
Because it's trying too hard to both
a) showcase the world of Fallout (which is an interesting setting) to normies
b) still pretend to be an RPG

They're good at making an open world exploration game.
No, need to add an urgent plotline of chasing down my son/father that makes absolutely no sense in an open world game
No, need to add a 30 minute unskippable intro with no actual impact on the game and pre-define the character
No, need to add randomly generated fetch quests
No, need to add base building in a shitty engine and make zero effort to even pretend it has any impact on the world
>>
>>3464575
New Vegas and even FO3 are markedly better as rpgs and in general game design. FO4 is skyrim levels of shallow.
>>
File: goblin_tiresome.jpg (191 KB, 1692x1436)
191 KB
191 KB JPG
>>3476140
I also have about 500 hours in Skyrim, but over that time I grew to hate it. It's the writing. All the quests are trash.
I realized that the only decent story in the game was the one I was imagining in my head, and at that point I might as well be playing Dwarf Fortress.
>>
>>3478269
>500 hours
In that time you could've played ten different games or do 50 playthroughs of Fallout 1. No wonder you got bored.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.