[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

A thread for posting about and sharing obscure RPG's you've played and want to discuss or mention on the off chance someone here has played it too, or goes and tries it out. Can be anything from licensed and published games, to fan-made modules for other games, to shareware, to full on indie titles.

Post'em if you got'em.
>>
File: m.jpg (7 KB, 260x194)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>3463268
this one rpgmaker game called mogeko castle
>>
File: natuk.png (64 KB, 640x480)
64 KB
64 KB PNG
Natuk, you play as a party of orcs and a few other demihuman types. Made by Tom Proudfoot.
>>
a game i found on steam called Balrum
kinda neat, the premise is rather interesting if you can filter it through the incredibly amateurish writing
you live in a village smack dab in the middle of some obviously cursed and fucked up woods and the story goes that your ancestors retreated here after bad juju went on outside
naturally you explore around for various reasons and find that hey wait a minute there's lots of bad juju in here and maybe the outside is actually fine

gameplay wise it's rather basic, reminds me of geneforge/spiderweb software games but i really like learning skills from trainers rather than just spontaneously manifesting fireballs after murdering your nth goblin
there's a fuckton of stuff to pick up off the ground, there's an entire basebuilding mechanic, there's survival mechanics, there's loads of enemies that require specific ways to deal with them, there's bullshit moon logic puzzles
it's both amateurish and ambitious at the same time and i did not dislike that aspect at all

didn't finish it for various reasons (mostly non-game-related) but it was interesting if you can stomach a lot of jank and aren't expecting something mechanically crunchy
still, it's clearly made by someone with an idea and the will to see it carried out and i'll always appreciate that over a committee-designed theme park ride
also man the writing is pretty shit, take a shot every time someone calls you "boy" and you'll be dead in an hour
>>
>>3463379
Just looked it up, anon. Looks neat. Thanks.
>>
>>3463323
>obscure
>>
Orompaquenga. It's about a knight trying to stop a colossal ball of grease from closing a hole in the sky and turning the world into literal hell.
>>
Rise of a third power is a fantastic little game. Reminds me of the glory days of RPGs.

Tangledeep has a similar SNES era nostalgia.

If you enjoyed games from that era you'll likely enjoy both of these.
>>
Castle of the Winds, Windows 3.1 game and a sequel. Ludokino.
>>
>>3463338
I only played the demo, didn't really have a way to get the full version as a kid. The flintlock ruled, I was mad whenever it exploded. Loved the magic system, too - figuring out spells by figuring out what each syllable translates to was top tier kino.

>>3463741
That sounds pretty unique.
>>
Dragon Quest.
>>
>>3463268
The Elder Scrolls 3 Morrowind
>>
>>3463817
Rise was made by the same devs as Ara Fell. It was fun, had some flaws like the eyeroll-some story and some character motivation, among others. I liked the smoothness of the sprite animations during combat and the option to increase combat speed multiple times.
>>
>>3463741
this was cool, i liked the soundtrack and the general aesthetic. i wonder what the dev was cooking with the lore, the end is a little sparse, maybe there's more bits in the hard mode or some area i missed
>>
i remember many ages ago (i think it existed after fallout 1 for a few years) of some australian lone developer who made his own fallout clone but, instead of nuclear war, it was an alt-future with UFOs or something like that.

anyway, he only made a demo of it and then discontinued it because it would be too much work to create the whole thing.

have no idea what the name of it was and tried finding it a few times but with no success. maybe some of the players here might remember it.
>>
>>3463338
I wish there was more Orc oriented RPG's
>>
>>3463268
I have been tracking Landtraveller for years to see if would become popular, but it didn't and now the game is free to play with no multiplayer option. It is like Minecraft meets furries, that meets RPG Maker (the game has an rpg maker atmosphere and the dev used to post on rpg maker forums). I took a look and it is not for me, I prefer playing with a bunch of other players. If someone is interested in the single-player mode, go ahead. Free on Steam.
>>
>>3468947
>Minecraft meets furries, that meets RPG Maker
this is the most offputting thing i've read all month. congratulations.
>>
>>3468804
I figured out what this was - Omega Syndrome.
>>
>>3467350
>>3467356
HUE HUE HUE, SO FUNNEH, XDDDDD
>>
>>3463268
Serpent in the Staglands
pretty neat oldschool looking game where you play a moon god in disguise going around trying to figure out why his portal to his realm glitched and why he's stuck in the mortal world
the kind of thing where you have to read the manual, there's no journal unless you write in it and you go where you want and set your own objectives
>>
>>3463323
Why did Tumbrites decide to target the dev again? She was far from the only person on that site to make defilement art
>>
File: eschalon.jpg (171 KB, 800x600)
171 KB
171 KB JPG
>>3463268
Would the Eschalon games fit here? They're a series of old-timey-styled step-time (time advances as you move or take actions) RPGs.
Book 1 is free on GOG and Steam. Only played a bit of it, but seems to have quite a few systems running under the hood.
>>
Wooden Ocean. Which recently got an update.

>>3470000
>devs didn't make the kickstarter DLC
>one of the only ways to complete the game is having your party go full crossbow autoshot
bummer
>>
>>3470452
Eschalon games are too well-known.
>>
>>3463338
>Natuk
DL link?
>>
>>3470666
>https://www.proudft.com/
>>
>>3463268
Rage of Mages?

I was never able to play it lol. I saw it once in a thread like this, tried to download it, but it kept crashing.
>>
>>3470821
forgot pic
>>
>>3470608
>devs didn't make the kickstarter DLC
Which one was that? I heard they still wanted to do post-game dlc or a sequel or something but nothing yet.
>one of the only ways to complete the game is having your party go full crossbow autoshot
Bumbling around with 2 tanks and 3 people alternatively healing/shooting arrows worked for me, harvesters were hell though.
>>
>>3467445
Yeah I'm playing ara fell right now actually. Not nearly as good as third power to me but still good enough for a first attempt.
>>
>>3470814
Different anon here, thanks for the link dude.

Gonna put in my wishlist >>3463379, >>3463741, and >>3470452, too, might get around to them one day.

>>3470821
Saw it as a kid in some gaming magazine and was intrigued, but didn't get to play it or RoM1.
>>
File: summoner-1660582298155.jpg (223 KB, 1024x1024)
223 KB
223 KB JPG
>>3463268
Flawless music, interesting lore, too bad the combat gets repetitive after a while
>>
File: bs84.jpg (227 KB, 1920x1080)
227 KB
227 KB JPG
>>
>>3463323
>RPG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.