[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

Dying series that refuses to die
>>
>>3460441
>Please note that, like /v/, "Generals"—long-term, one-after-the-other, recurring threads about a specific game are not permitted on /vrpg/. Such threads belong on >>>/vg/.
>>
Tales of Hebephilia
>>
>>3460449
>>3457282
>>
>>3460441
Destiny 2 update.
https://luminatales.net/2024/04/20/testing-testing-1-2-3/
>>
>>3460441
Anal
>>
>>3460441
The character designer died so ot might as well be dead
>>
>>3461046
Inomata didnt design Edna
>>
>>3461590
He means one of the main ones since it was mostly Inomata (then Fujishima for P (technically), S, A, and V) before the studio merge.
>>
are there any novelizations of the tales of series? I havent found any outside fanfiction. Bonus points if Legendia is written like a shakespearian play
>>
>>3462127
https://famitsubunko.jp/product/talesof/
I know this isn't comprehensive either, as there are a couple Phantasia novels not included here.
>>
Lailah uses diapers everyday!!!
>>
How is tales of arise?
>>
>>3462945
The last third is super rushed and a total mess that will make you mad, although to be fair a lot of Tales games have this exact problem, even fan favorites like Vesperia.

IMO, a much bigger problem with Arise is that the characters are all too serious, it's not zany anime shit anymore, it's just boring safe characters talking about slavery and racism, over and over, in every single skit.
>>
>>3463285
And gameplay, is it fun to play?
>>
>>3462945
It has DLC artes
That's so fucking scummy it makes me want to vomit. Never going to play the game ever.
>>
>>3463578
no
>>
>>3462945
i thought it was ok while i was playing it but immediately forgot everything about the story, characters, music, settings basically forgot everything about it a couple days after playing so i guess it would have to be the second least favorite in the series, zesteria is still the worst jrpg i've ever played in my life
>>
Phantasia remake is the best game in the series and it's not very close
>>
>>3464707
But there's more than one Phantasia remake.
>>
I've only played Abyss, the best part of that game for me was the cinematography, it unironically has the best cutscene direction I've seen in a JRPG, besides Vagrant Story and maybe Xenoblade 1. Do the other Tales games have as good of a voice cast and lots of different camera angles?
>>
Anal
>>
Alphen punched Dedyme because within 5 minutes he deduced that he was hungry for Shionne pussy. And he was right.
>>
>>3465859
Best scene is jude v alvin imo
https://youtu.be/EWtZT_DKmz4
>>
>>3468384
Tales of hearts R "teamwork" scene is good too
https://youtu.be/F6XYoB1mwP0?si=1DOznTkUjQve_N23
>>
yeah sorry I'm not into 20 year old games
>>
>>3468654
can you tell that to the guy who keeps making Fallout and Morrowind threads please?
>>
>>3468654
so basically this whole board then, okay
>>
>>3460666
Wow that one asshole in the comments bitching about them not updating the graphics. As if translating the whole game wasn't enough Jesus some people are so entitled
>>
>>3463578
Combat is okay besides bosses but the whole game just doesn't feel like a tales game at all and you can tell it didn't start out as one initially
>>
>>3468934
Honestly I'm kind of pissed they're considering doing anything like that at all. A fan translation should be separate from any other changes.
>>
Which version of Symphonia is the least pain to play?
>>
>>3468934
at worse this can be fixed by porting over ps2 graphic or good old ai upscaling
>>
>>3468934
>game has gorgeous 2d graphics and passable 3d graphics for world map
What exactly do they want to be improved? Zoomers are fucking weird.
>>
Latest Xillia anon, how is your play of the second game going if you're still here? You stopped posting and I'm curious.
>>
>>3472989
Same, Xillia duology is the more divisive one some people prefer 1 and other 2 , unlike the 90% prefer Berseria over Zestiria , Symphonia 1 over 2 or Destiny DC over PS1 and 2
>>
>>3460441
played
>zestiria
>berseria
>symphonia
>vesperia
>abyss
in that order
what next they havent released games in forever
>>
>>3473102
You got into a dead franchise. You missed the golden era where they pumped a fuckload of games, most fun if you enjoy ARPGs.
Play the older 2d games. They're all better than zestiria. And many are arguably better than most of the others you played
>>
>>3473161
>They're all better than zestiria
if not counting story which is kinda what these games are famous for
zestiria was the most fun for me
>>
>>3473166
wat
>>
File: 20240417192825_1.jpg (183 KB, 1920x1080)
183 KB
183 KB JPG
>>3472989
Wow, I just checked this thread on a whim and someone actually cares.

I played Xillia 2 for 3 hours, made those posts in the old thread, then woke up the next morning, tried playing some more and it's just a boatload of really shitty money grinding quests or collecting and sending cats to upgrade your equipment. To be honest, this blows. Is the combat really worth all this horrible busywork?
>>
>>3460441
These kind of games should have a 0% tax break, and trash like sport games should get taxed at double the normal rate.
>>
>>3473173
it was bro
its the only one i played more than once
i pirated it around 2015 and beat it
then bought it and beat it again and ng+ and then on bought berseria and symphonia
the fusion mechanic thingy was pretty fun
though non fused characters were comically weak
>>
>>3473176
If you're that put off by it, not really. The Vita remakes have better combat and aren't structured around fetch/kill quests.
>>
>>3473182
I was reacting to your spoiler, story is the last thing people typically care about in a Tales game.
>>
>>3473196
>vita remakes
I'm sorry what? Wasn't xillia permanently stuck on the ps3?
>>
File: 20240418180528_1.jpg (542 KB, 1920x1080)
542 KB
542 KB JPG
>>3473196
I feel kind of bad dropping a fan favorite game though, I'll probably give it another shake sometime soon. But yeah I can definitely see why the critic score for Xillia 2 was so low. And apparently you can barely change your party composition, the game forces certain "story" characters on you, so some boss fights you won't have a dedicated healer etc. So many odd design choices.

What do you mean by the Vita remakes? Hearts R etc? I'm also yet to play Abyss, so those can wait.
>>
>>3473201
really?
i dont know many series that are story centric that arent VNs
the gameplay always seems subpar to me
i thought vesperia was kinda almsot on the perfect sweetspot
i didnt really like berseria that much

but if its gameplay centric i would always choose a 4 niggas in a row type game
>>
>>3473205
Innocence R and Hearts R. My point was that Xillia 2 isn't the absolute peak of Tales combat that you NEED to put yourself through something you hate to experience.
>>
>>3473102
btw
playable on pc i got no other device
>>
File: 20240408095534_1.jpg (291 KB, 1920x1080)
291 KB
291 KB JPG
>>3473102
>>3473219
All of them are playable on (a non-shit) PC. I recommend Xillia (at least the first game) if you want a modern Tales game similar to Vesperia/Berseria/Zestiria. It's pretty short at only about 40 hours and very low on filler. The protagonist is kind of an anti-Velvet, which is a little funny.
>>
>>3473230
>non-shit) PC

>ryzen 5 2600
>1050ti

idk if i can run the ps3 ones
>>
>>3473236
Someone in the RPCS3 forums claims to have gotten full speed in Xillia with a 2600, so you're probably fine.
>>
>>3473236
Oh, don't bother then, PS3 emulation is very CPU heavy. Here's a helpful chart from their discord, your CPU is listed as "D Tier".
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Rpq_2D4Rf3g6O-x2R1fwTSKWvJH7X63kExsVxHnT2Mc/edit#gid=0
>>
>>3473176
Ah, yeah that was my guess as to what had happened. I enjoyed the game, but it's definitely a divisive entry like the other anon said, and you'd not be the first player I see dropping it in the first hours especially if you enjoyed the first game.

If after they reveal what the plot actually is going to be the game isn't grabbing you (more or less around the time you are told to meet with Bisley and he explains what the strange places you've been visiting are), then I say play another Tales. You can always go back to it later, but if it's tedious now it's only going to get worse when you're told to revisit all of Rieze Maxia again.
>>
File: 20240417183724_1.jpg (253 KB, 1920x1080)
253 KB
253 KB JPG
>>3473788
>If after they reveal what the plot actually is going to be the game isn't grabbing you
While googling for other people's impressions and the like, I got accidentally spoiled that Ludger is Victor and that there are parallel universes, apparently there's one where the Chimeriad are still alive, so idk if it's still worth playing for the story. The party member side stories are probably interesting though, people tend to praise them from what I've read.
>>
>>3473791
There were at least four of those involving the Chimeriad that I can remember, in Leia's, Alvin's, Gaius' and Elize's character episodes. Minus one of them, I think they were alright at least.

There's more to the main story than that, or at least it is interesting to see it unfold to see how it happens. But the game is shorter than the first one: it was padded with the debt to make it less obvious, but it really is a game that was developed in barely one year. With that and the reused assets everywhere, whether you like it or not will really depend on how much you can overlook its flaws in benefit of the parts you actually like. It might also help if you don't play them back-to-back: there really aren't that many new places to revisit, and some fractured dimensions do not actually have an interesting history to tell.
>>
File: 20240418180546_1.jpg (413 KB, 1920x1080)
413 KB
413 KB JPG
>>3473803
I'll give it another shot once I'm done with my current Elden Ring run. From what I've been reading online, you just fight legendary monsters and ignore the bulk of job requests, right? What about the equipment upgrades, is Kitty Dispatch really that important?
>>
>>3473102
>zestiria
If you like the combat without mana and being step heavy, try graces f
>berseria
If you like the Soul gauge system play Arise.
If you like the characters try Eternia or Destiny for Ps2
>>symphonia
>>vesperia
>>abyss
If you like the pseudo fighting Game meet arpg combat, try Xillia 1/2 and Hearts R.
>>
>>3473808
Most of the debt that's needed to clear out the main story can be paid with the Elite monsters. As for the rest of the debt, you can leave that for the postgame: the EX dungeon makes it way easier. Or frankly, if you are playing in RPCS3 you can cheat yourself some Gald in. It was different for me back then, Xillia only became playable there in 2020 or so

Some missions in the job board do have some of a plot, and are also time-sensitive. It will soon become easy for you to tell just by description alike, but these were usually marked in a different color. Take those. They will give you some hindsight to things about some of the new cast's past (like Julius, Bisley, or Rideaux) that you won't be able to know otherwise. Still, be aware that most of this information was left in guides and manuals they released after the game: the first Xillia was exactly the same with the Chimeriad's past. The Taleslations blog has most of these.

I'm afraid this part is blurrier for me because it's been years and in NG+ you don't need to pay that much attention anymore, but Kitty Dispatch does give you some items needed to clear missions. You can always change it to the day you need by changing the date in the console, but if you're just starting you could take it easy: some cats will be missable with time-sensitive missions after some chapters, but most of them can be found anytime. I'm sure there's a guide to find them too. You can beat the game without special weapons made from the custom orders, this game isn't Zestiria.
>>
>>3473844
This page seems good https://aselia.fandom.com/wiki/Sealed_Weapons but again, I don't think you actually need to worry about all these to beat the game, much less when you're just in the first chapters. I also didn't play in English, so I don't actually know the very specific equivalent names

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.