[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: klmk.jpg (9 KB, 320x320)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
So Amarant had Schizoid personality disorder, right?
>>
I dont know but FFIX fans sure have a shit taste disorder haha
I mean who else enjoys eating shit (actual shit)....? shit-eaters shouldnt be allowed to have opinions on videogames. FFVIII on the other hand is an example of how JRPGs should be.
>>
File: hide.png (65 KB, 747x180)
65 KB
65 KB PNG
>>
>>3459963
I wish they did more with his character. I always forget he’s even in the game. Characters like Blank, Beatrix or even Fratley had more interesting backgrounds. Amarant just sort of shoe horns in as the token ninja party member.
>>
>>3459971
>>3460174
>>3459963
Fake thread. This is spam.
>>
>>3460190
meds
>>
>>3460246
Shut up FF8fag. Maybe if you didn’t make threads every 10 seconds your bait would be believable.
>>
>>3459963
>had
>personality
Not really, he was just filler to give you a Monk ninja guy.
>>
File: FFT_Salamander.jpg (24 KB, 213x437)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
Amarant is conceptually muddy.

We call him a "Monk" class because of he uses Knuckles and "Chakra" abilities.

However he also as the "Throw" Ability, which is Ninja class. In English, Queen Brahne hires Lani and him as "bounty hunters" but really, they're assassins and he repeatedly made a point of saying "I don't do kids" as a code of honor.

He's the last to join the party, so he doesn't have much relationship with the other characters.

He's caring for Eiko and Vivi, because they're kids.

From one perspective, Amarant and Lani were Steiner and Beatrix replacements , because they won't touch Princess Garnet.

His name in Japanese is "Salamander" and his trance form has spikes coming out his back. They pair him up with the Dragoon, Freya, to fight the Fire Fiend.
But there is no narrative highlighting this significance.

It's possible he was even meant to be an Eidolon, sent by the Queen.
>>
File: ff12-ba-gamnan-concept.jpg (141 KB, 1150x830)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
>>3464516
I think he's also a prototype for the Bangaa race we see Ivalice. Specifically, Ba'gamnan, the bounty hunter chasing Balthier the same way Amarant chased Zidane.
They just turned his dreadlocks into those droopy ear flaps
>>
File: aW2PLH0.jpg (70 KB, 608x342)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>3464516
>He's the last to join the party, so he doesn't have much relationship with the other characters.
He and Freya have a budding frenemy romance if you watch all the ATEs, and he has a whole arc about becoming more-accepting of other people by seeing Zidane.
There's not a lot else to him, I always assumed he was shoehorned-in to have a sort of "cool" character, since IX didn't have the cool dark aesthetic of the previous 2 games.
>>
>>3459963
Amarant had a personality?
>>
File: cuck.jpg (77 KB, 960x720)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
Since Eidolons are born from myths and legends, Amarant, as a possible eidolon, could have come from the story of Ipsen's Castle. As Ipsen or his friend Colin.
Fabricated and/or collected by Kuja, working as a guard at Treno.
His story counterpart, might have been Dahaka who is guarding the mirrors atop Ipsen's Castle.
Armarant shows no difficulty reaching the top by himself. His intention to split from the party, then and there, on the Forgotten Continent, with no other means of transportation, makes better sense if it's his home or point of origin.
That would come back into play when Zidane finds his home on Terra and intended to stay.

A similar theory was put forward about Sir Fratley. That's he's not the real Fratley, but the living legend (Eidolon) of his exploits. The Ipsen story mentions a rain soaked letter calling him home. Which is suggestive of a Burmecia.

Pretending Armarand and Fratley were Eidolons, that raises the question of their gemstones.
In Fratleys case, he appears after defeating the Antlion, which, in FF Tradition, would drop a Sand Pearl, Desert Ruby, or Desert Rose.
While Armarant's name might suggest red coral.
I'd also speculate Adamantite. Coincidentally there is no Adamantite in FF9, even though there are Adamantoise on the Forgotten Continent

Also, I question the decision to change Salamander to Amarant, a red flower. Perhaps Amarant was the key to unlocking Sir Fratley's memories.
His hair matches the flower. Perhaps the spikes in his trance form were really thorns, like a rose.
In Japanese, rose is "bara" which is also a narrative genre about men awakening to their sexuality. But the stories can be dark, involving rape, sadism, blackmail, and other "thorny" situations.
But it's an entertaining suggestion that Fratley and Armarant had a gay romance.
Poor Freya. She never had a chance.
>>
>>3464516
>But there is no narrative highlighting this significance.
Really? I thought it was very straightforward. Freya wants to be remembered (by Fratley) and Amarant wants to be forgotten (by the Treno nobles who plaster the place with wanted posters of him).
That's also why they have Freya be the one Amarant tells about his first meeting with Zidane while the group is in Treno at the start of the third disc.

>>3464536
He's a self sufficient loner with a soft spot for children who's also eager to test his own abilities against those he perceives as strong. He has no more or less personality than the average FF character.
I have to wonder if the people repeating this even played the game.
>>
>>3464562
Sometimes FF schizo has some interesting points but this is such an asspull, my brain hurts
>>
File: F2yLFg4bYAALkhl.jpg (643 KB, 3840x2160)
643 KB
643 KB JPG
>>3464752
What's interesting is that in FF9 Eidolons change appearance with the surrounding culture and stories.

Ipsen's castle is of Terran origin, therefore, so is Odin.
But the play about Ipsen and Colin is from Gaia. So it it stands to reason that Odin, while on the Mist Continent, would appear as Ipsen - possibly, Fratley.
Indeed. Fratley appears at Clayra just before it is destroyed.

The mechanic of changing the Eidolon's appearance by region was never implemented. Ramuh changes at will. There's concept art of Shiva's other forms. Odin at the very least has 2 weapons. One with his sword and one with his spear.

If "Salamander" was an Eidolon, he would likely be a facet of Ifrit.
Likewise, Lani could have been Shiva. Which makes sense, as we never see Ifrit and Shiva while Garnet lost them.
And it would be appropriate as Amarant/Salamander and Lani appear at the Eidolon Wall.
>>
File: l805kzm52p961.jpg (138 KB, 1193x1042)
138 KB
138 KB JPG
>>3464790
I can absolutely see Lani as Shiva, getting in a fight with Amarant, and then switching to her "kid" form.
>>
File: latest.jpg (144 KB, 1057x641)
144 KB
144 KB JPG
Of course this might suggest a scenario where Garnet never gets Ifrit and Shiva back.
Assuming Amarant stays a party member. That would just be weird, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KgTBlQG1AM

And looking at Lani's design, she could have also passed as the Phoenix.

Phoenix and Ifrit would be awesome combo. They could make a whole game around it!
>>
How can I become Amarant hes literally me
>>3464717
I want t
>>
>>3464717
>Guy doesn't talk at all during the entire game except to challenge you to one fight
>"YOU DON'T GET IT! HE'S A LONER WHO JUST WANTS TO PROVE HIS STRENGTH! I CAN FIX HIM!"
And women say men think with their dicks.
>>
>>3465861
In the English version he was obsessed with Zidane. But in Japanese he was more interested in the party's influence and how this ragtag group ever accomplish anything.
>>
>>3465861
>Guy doesn't talk at all during the entire game except to challenge you to one fight
He talks plenty; more than Freya (who bizarrely remains a fan favourite), Eiko, Quina, even Steiner. You didn't play the game.
Why do idiots who didn't play a game insist on talking about it? It's very strange and mentally ill behaviour.
>>
>>3465861
extremely delusional post. Stop posting.
>>
i love ff schizo
>>
>>3464717
I always thought Amarant's purpose was even more simple; he's basically just there to contrast Zidane's inherently good nature.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.