[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 45085.png (2 KB, 574x347)
2 KB
2 KB PNG
What are some games that look like this?
>Black background
>Tile based/text display method
>Not ASCII (but maybe it is technically)
>RPG
Games like Ultima, Excelsior Phase One, etc.
>>
what do you think ascii means?
>>
>>3456604
ASCII is a character table, and games (like Ultima) that use text display mode change the glyphs of the character table - so while technically an ASCII game it has a different look to something like Dwarf Fortress or Rogue which are typically what people mean when they refer to ASCII graphics.
>>
File: 125643665437919028337.jpg (41 KB, 912x516)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>3456615
>ASCII is a character table
>>
>>3456620
Would you rather I said encoding standard? You're splitting hairs.
>>
>OP asks a question
>Irrelevant time wasting replies
Nox Archaist. Most of the zoomzooms on this board don't know the kind of graphics you mean.
>>
File: skald.png (1.35 MB, 1544x863)
1.35 MB
1.35 MB PNG
>>3456627
Seconding this one OP

Also Skald comes out next month, maybe more detailed than you're thinking but it looks great.
>>
>>3456556
Cogmind - it’s a Roguelike but it’s got a story and lore and stuff.
>>
>>3456627
>>3456928
>>3456930
Thank you, these all look great!
>>
>>3456556
Phantasie
>>
>>3456995
>Phantasie
Never heard of this, neat graphics.
>>
>>3457035
It's very old. There's also The Magic Candle.
>>
>>3456556
>the zooms!
Omega and Moria spring to mind but they were literally ascii Rogue clones. Moria had a very kino tileswap on the Amiga back in the day though.
>the giant lice multiply, filling the room
Really a nice solution to why you want AOE instead of AOE being fluff usually and hard target killers like melee being what actually matters. You could be the best single target boss killer in the world and still be overwhelmed by fast breeding idiots. I wish more new games knew more tactics that were already solved or made kino in the past.
Questron was my literal introduction to CRPGs and exactly your example. I thought it might have been your example but it's been too long.
>>
>>3457038
Magic Candle looks like a hidden gem. Is the Famicom version related?
>>3457075
RPGs making the AOE versions of spells weaker than single target spells always sucked. Sounds like those games are good research points.
>>
File: TciGJK.png (1.9 MB, 1887x1028)
1.9 MB
1.9 MB PNG
>>3456556
Deathlord:
https://rikkles.itch.io/deathlord-relorded
>>
>>3457124
>Is the Famicom version related?
No.
>>
>>3456556
Vinnie vole's existential nightmare.
>>
>>3456556
dransik
>>
>>3456928
So beautiful.
>>
>>3456556
The Land. a super obscure game with a pioneering "job" system that sends guards to attack you when your PC class don't do your "job" every week or so. BUT the manual/help files don't tell you anything about doing the "jobs"!
https://www.mobygames.com/game/34104/the-land/

That said you can just play as the Giant which is supposedly a jobless NEET, and also the tankiest class, so i survived the longest with that. never figured out the plot. And I was playing the version from some Shareware disk, so it might be a broken old version.
>>
>>3457427
Note that there is a nicer EGA version of the graphix, but the game automatically runs in CGA unless you enter an extra suffix to command to run the game.
>>
>>3457427
hey, i've read that books series. giants are cucks.
>>
>>3457427
Wow, neat
More RPGs genuinely need things like this, just systems that you have to keep in mind or they'll fuck you up
>>
>>3457154
I played this on Apple 2e. Brutally difficult.
>>
>>3456556
Moonring is a new one, its free but I don't know how 'done' it is
>>
File: 1686682922750014.jpg (28 KB, 575x549)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>3456556
if you had any balls to speak of, you would already be playing Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead. if your tiny ass could squeeze out real, man-sized shits? then you would find the mod titled "Another Day, Another Dollar" and you would play with that as well. without the mod, game is better than anything you've ever played. with the mod, it's better than anything you've ever played. it's that simple, dick breath
>>
>>3457858
buyeth an ad
>>
>>3456556
MoonRing is awesome, its Ultima with a 2024 polish
https://youtu.be/Krs1Kr38og4?si=Ml0AqLqVq87eu7TK
>>
File: Legend of Blacksilver.png (9 KB, 649x407)
9 KB
9 KB PNG
>>3456556
Any RPG's for the C64 and Atari 8-bit.
>>
>>3457858
brights nights only, bub
>>
>>3457453
i only read the book reviews so i dunno.

>>3457810
>just systems that you have to keep in mind or they'll fuck you up
pretty much every rogue-like that isn't "lite"?
>>
>>3456556
You should check out Moonring, OP
>>
>>3456556
Below the ROot was the first game i ever played on apple II e . Really dont remember anything at all about it though
>>
>>3457858
>Another Day, Another Dollar
how is this vs "Bright Nights"?

>>3458471
why? someone please explain, ive never played this game.
>>
>>3459072
He's talking about a mod for DDA, Bright Nights is a fork of DDA which came about due to contentious developmental decisions. There's really no point in explaining if you haven't played the game.
>>
>>3459078
i know that much. but why is is this more recommended? and why pick one over the other?
>>
>>3459079
Because you like one over the other. As for why that guys is shilling a specific mod? He's probably the creator of it.
>>
>>3456556
Moonring and the game is free on steam. I dropped 20 hours in it pretty quickly. Dev is one of the Fable creators.
>>
>>3459119
>Dev is one of the Fable creators.
It's better to not mention this, it's a turn off.
>>
>>3459119
>the game is free on steam.
no steam evah. be gogpoland or pirate it.
>>
>>3459182
gog just resells cracked games to redditors.
>>
I've never played such games but got curious recently. What should I expect? Are these comparable to traditional 2d jrpgs of the 90s?
>>
>>3459079
Dark Days Ahead is simulationist. Bright Nights is videogamey. Both are bad btw.
>>
caves of qud has an unfinished story but a cool sandbox with all the weird interactions and different ways of achieving your goals youd expect from a traditional roguelike.
>>3459377
dda needs more missions and faction content but the systems are in place for more roleplaying than most rpgs
>>
>>3459269
all STEAMfags literally readdit.
>>
>>3459291
>Are these comparable to traditional 2d jrpgs of the 90s?
Dragonquest copied Ultimas, yes.
>>
>>3459291
>I've never played such games but got curious recently. What should I expect? Are these comparable to traditional 2d jrpgs of the 90s?
Open worlds with a strong focus on collecting clues by talking to NPCs and bad combat.
>>
>>3459525
Steamfags are subhumans on the level of console niggers. They singlehandedly ruined pc gaming. GOG pretends to this savior of glorious pc master race but most of their abandonware games that don't run on emulators or have fans making free patches don't even fucking work. Developers also treat GOG customers like second class citizen, so anything on GOG tends to lag behind in updates, lacks content or never gets updates. GOG also forces sites like abandoware to take down their games after acquiring the "rights" to sell broken games. Fuck GOG. Fuck Steam. "Gamers" are subhumans.
>>
>>3460342
how exactly did steam users ruin pc gaming? expand on this.
>>
>>3460357
He won't because he's a drooling retarded faggot from some cesspit, who probably still actually posts on a fucking proboards forum still, thinking it's 2003.
>>
>>3456604
Fucking idiot monkey kill yourself fucking retard now. Fucking just end your life insantly fucking retard fuck you. Whole fucking day ruined by fucking retard fucking monkey lookinh retard fuck you juat fuxking
>gets proven to be retard
>starts posting reaction images
Kill yourself NOW
>>
>>3460342
>>3460357
>>3460512
DRM bad, anons. did you not know?
>WEF: you will own nothing and love it
>>
>>3460818
DRM is bad but it was inevitable if corporations were going to continue developing games for PC.
>>
>>3460824
>but it was inevitable if corporations were going to continue developing games for PC
No, it wasn’t. This is the same fallacy that the music industry used: “if pirates can’t pirate then they’ll buy our product”. There’s plenty of pirates who won’t every buy anything, and there’s a small subset of them who will try something first before buying it to support them. And there was plenty of warez pirating in the 90s before DRM. Hell, there were rotating code wheels and words from the manual and shit for copy protection. DRM has always been a scam and is more likely to fuck over legitimate users than it is to stop pirates, that shit is always cracked and available in a week anyway. And look how much money GOG makes without DRM. Steam could’ve done the same thing back in the day, too.
>>
>>3460838
GOG sells abandonware and games that lag behind on patches. What Steam did was prove how lazy people are, if they can buy something easily online, far easier than pirating for the average person, then they will. They just took advantage of the situation that was already in place.
>>
>>3460824
>>3460838
you would not download car games would u?!?!
>then the whole industri decided you must download games with DRM connected to servers that die after a a year or so.and never own anything forever
except Nintendo. Nintendo is still kinda cool though they technically have "physical DRM" in their consoles and carts.
>>
>>3460838
>This is the same fallacy that the music industry used: “if pirates can’t pirate then they’ll buy our product”.
That is not remotely the same idea. Corporations love DRM and will insist upon it regardless of whether it really benefits them.
>>
>>3460935
They're getting scammed by the likes of Denuvo.
> we put your gaemu on torrent sites and millions of people downloaded, this proves you're losing billions of profit if we don't put Starforce in your game!!111!1! dem ebil pirateZ
It's always safe to blame "pirates" for your own failures. History has proven time and time again the complete opposite, if anything.
There is also a subset of goysloppers who think games with DRM are more prestigious and that having Denuvo is a proof of quality.
I always hated programs that need the CD to launch. And now we have hordes of NPCs who are happy about malware and not being able to play something they have installed without going online first. There's always a new low.
Japs are especially anti-human on "copyright" issues. They don't even have a warez scene and are put in prison for modding their own consoles.
With AI we can expect a new reign of terror from governments and corporations.

>>3460871
>Nintendo is still kinda cool
Nintendo has history with the mafia, happily shuts down fan creations and enslaves people. Just normal Japanese businessman villain things.
>>
>>3461050
Sure but the point is that even if steam never existed the corporations would still insist upon putting DRM in your games. Even if you can prove the cost exceeds the benefit, they still will insist on putting DRM in games.
>>
>>3460818
>bitches about DRM

>then breathlessly exalts Nintendo
>>3460871

You just discarded any moral high ground about DRM you thought you may have had with that retarded comment right there. Nintendo are the Japanese EA at this point.
>>
File: A4R_+Q.png (382 KB, 1062x721)
382 KB
382 KB PNG
Moonring one is pretty good, also free.
>>
>>3461344
Yeah, it has most of the cool stuff you expect from Ultima-likes and its combat is considerably less bad.
>>
>>3456556
>What are some games that look like this?
Almost every CRPG released in the 80s that wasn't a blobber.
>>
>>3456623
Where do you think you are? This is probably the single most pedantic board on the entire site where every single thread devolves into pointless bickering among zit faced, teenage weebs.
>>
>>3459081
>He's probably the creator of it.
Okay Kevin.
>>
>>3461304
Physical ownership > Digital rentals tied to "phone home" tech. Nintendo is the lesser evil.
is it that hard to understand, hypocritical STEAMboi?
>>
>>3461817
Proprietary hardware is digital cuckoldry. IP bends nerds over, there is no lesser evil.
>>
>>3459406
>but the systems are in place for more roleplaying than most rpgs
Roleplay as what? Autistic hoarder that sits in a single house until the end of time? No thanks, at least BN doesn't disincentivize proactive play.
>>
>>3461817
>Physical ownership > Digital rentals tied to "phone home" tech. Nintendo is the lesser evil.
What the fuck do you think Nintendo's digital storefront is, you retarded imbecile?

>is it that hard to understand, hypocritical STEAMboi?
Seems more difficult for you to understand, honestly.
>>
File: shadowforge_11.png (6 KB, 560x384)
6 KB
6 KB PNG
>>3456556
Shadowforge, on the Apple 2.
>>
>>3459079
Depends on if you want to support a delusional furry faggot or not.
>>
>>3462458
Only notable because John Carmack made it. It's a crude Ultima clone that's primitive even by the standards of its day.
>>
>>3461854
dda doesnt either, it just requires you to actually plan shit out and prepare rather than getting a solar powered deathmobile with lasers in less than a year.
>>
>>3462747
I thought it was nice.
>>
>>3461967
buy the physical Nintendo games. duh. did i force you to buy digital, STEAMfags?
>>
>>3461827
>Proprietary hardware is digital cuckoldry.
none the consoles or PC CPUs/GPUs you use are FOSS or 100% Stallman=approved. they're all copyrights and trade-sekrits unleaked. you're not gonna print your own CPU/GPUs.or download free open-sauce RAM.
>>
>>3464261
>there is no lesser evil
What part of that didn't you get?
>>
>>3464274
Be a pirate and stop whiteknighting for Steamfags. and buy ads, Valve!
>>
>>3465132
Matthew 7:3-5

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.