[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

What's your favorite SCUMM or point-and-click adventure game?
pic related, Day of the Tentacle is the only 2D game with a hand-drawn cartoon art style that doesn't look like a cheap Disney imitation, and it's all beautiful. Legitimately funny too, with clever puzzles that aren't bullshit but are not obvious like all good adventure games.

If it can be played on SCUMMVM, it counts.
>>
Tentacle is the only one of these games that feels like it’s made with normal people in mind rather than autists.
>>
Sam and max hit the road in the most overrated game of all time. It's so charming but actually subpar gameplay, similar to earthbound.

Day of tentacle and fate of Atlantis are the alpha and omega of this genre. Kings quest is also the most overrated franchise that leans on its amazing charm and atmosphere to hide its absolutely disgusting and hideous game design choices. The most tragic series. Disco Elysium is trash.
>>
>>10919994
I personally find myself recommending LOOM most often since it's pretty well-paced with no significant difficulty spikes
>>
ESLs beware!
>>
>>10920045
forgot pic
>>
>>10920035
The twister kept me stuck for a long time as a child.
>>
File: fate.jpg (177 KB, 800x720)
177 KB
177 KB JPG
It was a different time.
>>
Quest for Glory's pretty cool
>>
File: 159_1.jpg (224 KB, 640x480)
224 KB
224 KB JPG
Im glad the old Nancy engine games are runnable on SCUMMVM. Got Stay Tuned for Danger to work and maaan the old 3d on the earlier games aged like milk but it still holds up.
>>
File: 1706833551728119.jpg (185 KB, 640x480)
185 KB
185 KB JPG
Postan for HE
>>
File: askmeaboutloom.png (58 KB, 960x599)
58 KB
58 KB PNG
>>10920035
Thanks for posting, Cobb.
>>
>>10919960
In Full Throttle, he isn't saying "I don't spelunk." He's saying "I dont's belong" in a Popeye accent. He doesn't feel like he should be in the game. This was before video game unions when you can force characters to do whatever
>>
File: 1713559385005363.png (1.66 MB, 1240x697)
1.66 MB
1.66 MB PNG
Monkey 3 supremacy
>>
Loved Sam and Max (though I haven't beat it).
And Pajama Sam too
>>10920416
Hell yeah brother
>>
>>10920416
Spy Fox was great shit
>>
>>10920640

Aye
>>
>>10920980

My Top Five probably are:

DOTT
COMI
Sam and Max
Full Throttle
BASS (if we're counting things that can be played on ScummVM)

I do enjoy Monkey 1 and 2, but COMI was what I played first.

If we're widening it out, Discworld 2 would probably be in place of Sam and Max for me.
>>
I replay DOTT once a year, it's one of the first games I played as a kid and I beat it all by myself. Nothing else comes close.

Later, I really enjoyed Kyrandia I, Beneath a Steel Sky, Full Throttle, Sam & Max Hit the Road, and Broken Sword.

I still keep Indy FoA under my sleeve, waiting for the right moment.
>>
File: Broken_Sword_1_cover.png (206 KB, 279x356)
206 KB
206 KB PNG
>>10919960
the GOAT
>>
>>10920049
the monkey wrench thing wasnt really the main problem for me even as an esl it was the fact that I never found the area in the first place. it was just a small pixel right at the top of the waterfall. I was stuck for days at this point and solved the puzzle right away the moment I found the area. that kind of shit is the most frustrating thing in point and click adventures.
>>
>>10920276
Is there a way to play this on a modern rig easy? I'm medically retarded.
As far as my favorite, Sam and Max with DOTT close second.
>>
>>10924148
Yup, you can play them all via GoG or Scumm.
>>
>>10920045
As an intermediate ESL teen back then, I found the word sparring minigame super cool and funny in the first game, but this was just lame.
>>
>>10920020
That last sentence is both not retro and false.
>>
>>10924148
Scummvm works great, I replayed the whole qfg series a couple of years ago. Or replayed 1-4 then played 5 for the first time

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.