[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: SLES-02096-F-ALL.jpg (351 KB, 1470x1492)
351 KB
351 KB JPG
How do I get good at Beatmania? I'm playing PS1 games with an ASCII controller and I'm getting demolished even by three star songs.
>>
File: 20221119_100538_1440.jpg (1.88 MB, 1440x1080)
1.88 MB
1.88 MB JPG
>>10919413
a dash of autism and figuring out a versatile finger position that is comfortable for you in order to be able to hit the notes and turntable. one thing you will notice is that the notes don't correspond with any consecutive beat track (like Guitar Hero), but rather an individual sound. this is important because some charts like to have you simulate a short beat while the harder songs basically have you recreate entire sections of the song. the loud clacking from an ASCII turntable may or may not help you stay in rhythm which is why they're perfect for dipping your toes.
>>
>>10919413
get your thumb involved in the keys, start scratching with your pinky. beatmania is hard but stick with it
>>
>>10919413
Rhythm game fanatic or just starting? It may take years until you can actually reach the higher levels
>>
>>10919413
Lots of variables here...the ascii controller sucks and makes the game harder. The iidx "Konami official controller" or KOC is better, but acts weird with the PS1 games(besides 6th mix). Also if you're emulating and not playing on a CRT, you're likely experiencing lag. As the others mentioned as well, these games are just hard. I've been playing iidx for over 10 years and have never cleared a 12. The best advice I can give is to love to hate the game; you WILL keep failing and you WILL get mad, but if you can persist and improve, it is very fulfilling.
>>
>>10920130
Thankfully, playing on a CRT through MiSTer with the controller plugged via SNAC, so no extra lag involved. As for controller, I live in a sanctioned country, so importing is not an option currently. ASCII is the only controller available locally. I used to play on a gamepad before, but at certain point it becomes too hard to remember what button does what. I have the same issue with Pop'n Music, but that's even worse there.
>>
>>10920394
Ah okay, honestly you'll just need to practice then. The Ascii controller is stiff but not unusable. If the pic in OP is the only game you're playing, try to get more games to play if possible, because playing the same group of songs over and over can drive you crazy.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.