[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: kryohyaebpm81.png (528 KB, 640x639)
528 KB
528 KB PNG
Do you remember the original Resident Evil 4 being letterboxed in a 4:3 aspect ratio? Was it criticized for it?

Wii version is like GameCube version. 640x360... and the widescreen just zoom it.
>>
File: RE4 wide.jpg (72 KB, 640x480)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>10886946
I didn't even remember it was letterboxed till I played it again last year, so mustn't have been a big issue. There was a good reason the game had mandatory widescreen anyhow: they didn't want to put Leon in the centre of the screen like contemporary third-person shooters, as that would obscure the things you're shooting at.
>>
People were just happy to be able to set something to widescreen. I want to say a lot of VHS and DVDs were like this too. A luxury feature
>>
I remember the PS2 version being advertised as having "true widescreen" in reference to the Gamecube original having letterboxing in 4:3.

Never minded it.
>>
>>10886946
>>10886981
The game didn't actually support widescreen properly until the PS2 release. Gamecube was just letterboxed, and if you had a 16:9 screen it'd pillarbox it, too.
>>
>>10886956
Now instead of just doing this in full 4:3 they give you a tinier screen because...the game is shit.
>>
>>10886946
I remember a couple complaints, but not too many. I do remember some people liking it saying that it reminded them of a movie.
>>
Anyone else prefer letterbox and the black bars? Makes everything look better and put a focus on the framing and the actual image.
>>
>>10886992
VHS tapes were a letter boxed 16:9 inside a 4:3 frame (wasting a lot of resolution), most DVDs (save for some early releases) are anamorphic, which squishes 16:9 into the whole 4:3 720x480 resolution, and then the DVD player pulls it back out to "real" widescreen.
>>10887074
I'm a fan too
>>
>>10887065
>instead of just doing this in full 4:3
Yeah enjoy seeing nothing at all because Leon takes up half the screen. RE4 is in practice a 4:3 game
>>
File: file.png (192 KB, 483x247)
192 KB
192 KB PNG
>>10887154
don't make him take up half the screen then, mikami you're a failed designer. this is widescreen not 4:3. Your practice is autism.
>>
>>10887164
>don't make him take up half the screen then
You're looking for a first-person shooter
>>
>>10887164
But when you aim the camera puts leon to the side, hence why it's letter boxed, for the extra spcae needed
>>
>>10886946
Just emulate it in Dolphin, there's a custom code to remove lettterboxing + you can upscale textures.
>>
>>10887832
>remove letterbox
Source? Need this
>>
>>10887930
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-zoom-widescreen-shader-for-letterboxed-gc-games-like-resident-evil-4?highlight=resident+evil+4
>>
>>10887930
>>10888042
This should work in Nintendont as well. I used a code like that for Skyward Sword to remove the letterboxing on an actual Wii.
>>
>>10886991
>>10886992
The PS2 version isn't really "true" widescreen either. It does the exact same thing the Wii version does: it just stretches the game vertically to artificially remove the black bars, and then you were supposed to set your TV to Widescreen. What this means in practice is that the game will technically fill out your 16:9 TV, but due to the stretching it will end up looking blurrier. Unironically a better solution (assuming you were playing on a widescreen CRT) was to set the TV to Zoom instead. It resulted in the game filling out your screen area while looking sharper.
>t. autistically tested all this shit on my CRT HDTV way back in the day
>>
>>10886946
>Was it criticized for it?
No, because everyone at the time used a 4:3 tv anyways.
>>
>>10888891
>I used a code like that for Skyward Sword to remove the letterboxing on an actual Wii.
Couldn't find it on google
>>
>>10888920
Yeah, it's definitely not true widescreen like that other guy said, just anamorphic.
The other big downside with the PS2 release is how graphically inferior it is to Gamecube.
>>
>>10888940
Indeed, but it's worse than that, as unlike most games with anamorphic widescreen, it doesn't actually add any extra visual information on the sides. It just stretches the existing image vertically, without any increase in internal resolution. It just results in a worse picture. On those versions, unless you had a widescreen CRT that had a Zoom mode, it really was just better to keep it on 4:3.
>>
>>10887832
Why not just play the PC version at that point?
>>
>>10888937
I think it was in a thread on the Dolphin forums where people were sharing codes like that. If you can't find it then I can probably just check what my code is when I get home tonight.
>>
>>10888891
can't you just set the Wii to widescreen?
>>
>>10888920
wrong actually. You are misunderstanding anamorphic widescreen. You were supposed to use that on a CRT which supposed widescreen because it could display non square pixels. That eliminates the issue with blur that you saw using the stretch option on an LCD because LCDs have fixed square pixels. This applies to using widescreen on the wii a lot of the time too. It was intended for widescreen CRTs which only ever really got popular in japan.
>>
>>10888920
>>10888940
I never had a widescreen CRT, when we finally got a flatscreen in 16:9 it was to play Dead Rising.

All I remember is that I always heard gaming reviewers talking about PS2 being in "real" widescreen, which likely just meant that they were repeating a marketing line.
>>
>>10889715
Yes but if you're not playing on an actual widescreen TV then it'll just be squished. A lot of later Wii games were only made for 16:9, so they'd be letterboxed if your Wii was set to 4:3.
>>
>>10889734
>A lot of later Wii games were only made for 16:9, so they'd be letterboxed if your Wii was set to 4:3

Understood, that didn't occur to me.
>>
>>10889727
I know that. The blur in question is due to the VERTICAL stretching the game did to get rid of the black bars. It resulted in what I would call a pseudo-anamorphic image, since it doesn't actually show more things to the side.
>>
Switch version with a GameCube controller is my preference nowadays.
>>
>>10890754
How?
>>
>>10891041
Probably the Gamecube controller adapter.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.