[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Burning_Rangers_cover.jpg (31 KB, 254x390)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
The environments are great and fun to explore.

I just wish they were used for better gameplay.
>>
The developers obviously had way more ambition than resources with the game. It did some cool and forward thinking things for the time, but they didn’t seem to have time to flesh it out or optimize it well. I appreciate how much it did with cool lighting on the hardware
>>
>>10886898
It's a tech demo, just not F-Zero/Star Fox tiers of showing off
>>
Ok, according to Wikipedia they were planning to make it a networked multiplayer game, but they couldn’t make it work and so they applied those ideas to PSO.
The voice navigation was a pretty new thing at the time, or at least it hadn’t been done often before BR (also Bulk Slash and one other thing I can think of). Halo kinda popularized it.
The way items sort of magnetize toward the character for pickups is something that I remember seeing a lot in games from the following generation but not before BR.
Would have been cool to see it move to DC, but I guess they had to release what they had.
>>
>>10887339
>more ambition than resources
that's the sega way
>>
This game is supposed to make you realize how powerful the Saturn is but honestly it had the opposite effect on me. Even for a ps1 game, the graphics really don't blow my tits off. And it runs like ass. The cherry on the cake is that all of its gameplay innovations are "Wii Music" tier oddities. There's also basically nothing to do in the game after you beat it in 2 hours. The arcade score attack system they made to stretch the game out is a complete failure and totally uninteresting. The randomized level layouts MIGHT fool a 2 year old into believing something new and fun is happening on the second playthrough. The whole thing really me appreciate how these guys were finally able to make a full meaty game out of sonic adventure after being stuck in such a horrible rut on Saturn
>>
>>10887997
It was a technology proof of concept for both SA and PSO but didn’t really succeed on its own. Still impressive for the ambition.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.