[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 20312777.5_re0.jpg (254 KB, 1484x820)
254 KB
254 KB JPG
Genuinely, why do people hate it?

The lack of an item box and having to command a second character makes the game more busy, which after playing REmake on autopilot for years, is a nice change of pace, and it's sort of why I suspect people who only ever play Jill in RE1 with her 8 inventory slots instead of suffering as Chris with his 6.

Really, my only problem was how difficult some of the puzzles were, which only were difficult because I'm trying to rush the game and not spending 10 hours on finding a single solution. (For example the animal puzzle I'm sure I could have figured out if I gave it a good crack)
>>
>>10886310
>The lack of an item box
There's a mod that allows the typewriter to also function as a item box.
https://www.nexusmods.com/residentevil0biohazard0hdremaster/mods/39
>>
>Would you recommend this game to other players?
>No
>>
>>10886310
>the animal puzzle
That's the only real puzzle in the entire game. Everything else is just easy as fuck
>>
Because RE4 zoomers have to find every excuse imaginable to make their crappy franchise ruining game to look better than it actually is, so they shit on RE0 and RE:CV

>>10886362
>cheats
>>
Forget the gameplay, doesn't RE0 retcon a bunch of shit from RE1? I can't be convinced to bother with RE0
>>
>>10886310
I don't hate it but the game peaked with the train section and the rest feel uninspired
>>
File: RE0 dmg no bite.webm (2.76 MB, 960x720)
2.76 MB
2.76 MB WEBM
My main issue with the game isn't even the item drops or the partner system, which are flawed but I can deal with it.

The problem is that the game controls like shit, even compared to REmake. The animations are too long, the action doesn't feel tight at all, and too many enemies suffer from "ha-ha! You can't hit me while I'm in THIS animation!!", you know like how you can't hit Hunters in RE1 while they're getting up, but here it's nost just Hunters and it happens a LOT, Leeches are probably the worst offender for that. If you've never wasted a ton of ammo (and even molotaiv cocktail) on them you're either lying or never realized.
So, the core gameplay just feels pretty bad. Then you have to deal with the partner and item drop systems on top of that, the story is absolutely retarded, the setting is uninspired, almost all the puzzles are things we've seen before except they made them a little more complicated. I genuinely think dev took that long because they had no idea what they were doing, but I wish they did because the game would have played better on N64 since it was based on RE2 engine then.
>>
>>10886682
>MUH RE4
Shut the fuck up already, you talk about it more than actual RE4 fans
>>
>>10886310
You need to install a bunch of mods to fix this game. Check steam guides.
>>
>>10886310
Because it's basically REmake but not as good, and the added on partner mechanic just isn't very interesting or engaging, it feels haphazardly tacked on and serves so little purpose. The best parts of the game is the train, which actually works pretty well (and looks stunningly good even by 2024 standards), but it's like they ran out of steam after that and had to force themselves to fill out the game.
Rebecca is really cute too, but she's also cute in the other titles.

RE0 is far from the worst in the series, it's not anywhere close, the game is basically ok, but it's not really worth seeking out, and it's not worth replaying. You could just play REmake instead (or any of the classic games), and they're gonna be much more fun.

>>10886682
Anon, you're pathetic.
>>
>>10886310
>why do people hate it?
because it's garbage
RE0/10 lmao
>>
>>10886310
Because it's the worst of the classic REs by a large margin. That's not saying it's a bad game. The worst RE games are still like 7/10s.
>>
>>10886785
It really does feel like they had worked out like a third of a pretty good game, but then didn't have very much motivation or any good ideas for completing it.

Consider that Resident Evil 4 had numerous false starts and scrapped concepts. They had tried a few which were along the lines of the classic survival horror games, but the devs were all frustrated and disappointed with how it was going, they felt like they were going in circles and doing the exact same thing over and over, like they had no real good ideas left. One build was a completely radical departure as a means to break from this, but it was decided it strayed too much from what Resident Evil really was (famously, this got spun off into what eventually became Devil May Cry).
The Resident Evil 4 we finally got was much closer, some would argue it's still not a 'true' Resident Evil game, but it simply builds on and escalates the stronger action focus which Resident Evil 3 was already doing, taking it to its logical direction with an actual 3D world and over the shoulder camera (still with tank controls).

Going back to 0, it feels like either a begrudging contractual obligation, or like they were hoping to breathe new life into the formula with the companion setup, but like they didn't have any really good ideas or any strong overarching vision for where to actually take the game. This meshes with the many scrapped attempts at 4.
>>
>>10886310
Meaningless changes to the formula that add nothing trying to create some justification to call it a different game
>>
File: file.png (479 KB, 962x543)
479 KB
479 KB PNG
Whoof. Thought I soft locked my game against Queen Leech, but took the long walk of shame through parts of the mansion and managed to scrounge enough for the encounter.

I mean, I see the complaints, yet at the same time I don't get them. What are you guys comparing RE0 to? If you owned a Gamecube at the time, you had REmake and this. You only had maybe "better choices" on the PS2, and that's super subjective. I think Siren is one of the best horror games on that system, but it's nowhere near as polished as RE0.
>>
>>10886310
>there is no item box.
the box was replaced by something else,is not a box but you can save items there.
>>10886682
i still how they can even play RE4,not even joking
>give 3 steps reload weapon
>someone attacks from your back
>FORASTERO!!
>lot of enemies running towards you
>add insult to injury limited ammount of items to carry due to "tetris" case along limited items on world.
>is a third person shooter.
while code veronica and zero follow the same formula of old resident evil.
>>
>ctrl+f "hookshot"
>0 results
that item alone ruins the game
>>
File: RE0 dev.jpg (37 KB, 640x480)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
You push a button and get an item in a video game, well that's old news these days. You push that button and a second character gets the item and then, by gum, you've got something to write home about!
>>
>>10886682
>their crappy franchise ruining game
kek resident evil would've been fucking dead and forgotten if it hadn't been for re4
>>
>>10888619
You can't manage RE4's gameplay?
>>
File: 1690237058851674.png (1.01 MB, 1013x480)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB PNG
>>10886310
weakest mainline RE game.
the lack of inventory made the game annoying sometimes.
the puzzles are annoying as well.
but overall a fine game, must-play for classic fans
>>
File: 1457106461523.gif (755 KB, 300x169)
755 KB
755 KB GIF
>You've already searched this area. ;) ;)
>>
>>10886701
Not really. I mean, it is dumb that Rebecca is capable of handling a Tyrant and with some help, an even bigger BOW and then in 1 she can't defend herself from a Hunter but otherwise, it didn't retcon that much. James Marcus existence only continues what CVX started with adding an even older scientist that came out with a more lethal and/or basic virus before the T-virus and that trope has been repeated so much that now we have met and fought Spencer's mentor in Village.
>>
>>10886701
People always claim that is somehow retcons 1 and has shit story but I've literally never realised this. The only thing it does ruin is Rebecca's rookie image because of what hell she went through in 0 right before 1 lmao. Shit is crazy, obviously Billy was with her but the events of RE0 were arguably harder to survive through than the mansion incident. And the game's story and lore are somewhat interesting, I wouldn't say it's worse than the other classic entries in this regard.
TL;DR what sucks is the fucking 'game part', you know, the actual gameplay itself. The story is not a problem, neither is the atmosphere which is pretty good. Great environments and music
What really fucking baffles me about this board is that REmake gets shat on all the time but RE0 gets a pass because it's a mediocre game and it's cool to pretend that mediocre games are superior here
>>
>>10886310
>No item boxes suck
>Enemies suck
>Retcons suck
>Puzzles suck
>Everything after the train sucks

There's a reason you only ever seen screenshots of the train the game takes a nosedive after it. Everyone would like to forget the rest. I think this game was rushed, had a B team, lost passion in the project for some reason or all of the above I dunno but the game is a mess.
>>
>>10886310
I don't like picking up shit again, I'm already doing that in normal play
I don't like Billy Coen
I only like the train area and Rebecca's character model.
I don't like the lazy retcon
Antagonist sucks
I don't like the enemies.
>>
I dont like dropping items on the ground. I once dropped an item in an awkward spot and it took a long time to pick it up again. I understand not wanting magic linked item boxes, but they could have just used the real survivor item boxes for organizational purposes. I also don't like how the AI is useless and can't be trusted not to waste resources. The most enjoyable parts of the game are when your characters get separated.
>>
>>10886310
Because having a failstate for a gamecube tier ai partner is retarded. Not being able to see your inventory when picking something up is retarded. Having a leech commanding opera singer as a villain is retarded. Picking up items somehow being more clunky than REmake is retarded. It's like the game was designed by the team throwing every shitty idea they could think of at the wall and then the office retard screamed "and then a biiiiiiig scorpion showed up".
>>
You can see dropped items just fine in the HD release. They upscaled the item textures just fine (polygons), but the pre-rendered backgrounds still look like shit even with filters.

My only problem with RE0 was the uninteresting plot that doesn't add a whole lot to the lore.
>>
File: E0H0mqrXoAAdYbY.jpg (37 KB, 511x680)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>10886310
>second character makes the game more busy
define more "busy" cause it felt more tedious more than anything. its not a bad game but after the train everything feels more like busy work rather than a horror experience. i like the idea of an item drop system but to me it made the game a lot easier item management wise since you can drop key items you dont rly need near areas you'll use them in rather than planning your routes by what items are in which safe room. i kinda wish they added a mr.x/nemesis type that would chase you around the traning facility to really hammer in that no room is really "safe" in re0. theres some great ideas but the execution could have been a lot better, but hey atleast it got out of develoment hell lmao.

>>10886682
i dont get this weird zoomer retcon of "EVERYONE LOVED RE0 AND CODE VERONICA TILL RE4 CAME OUT AND ALL THE WOMEN AND THE ZOOMERS ONLY LIKE NU-REMAKE/RE4 GAMES BAHBAHBAH". no one talked about cv that much in comparison to the other re games cause cv isn't that good! its not bad but its a very flawed resident evil game! you're either underage and pretending to be an oldfag or you're just delusional if you think its re4's fault that people think cv and re0 aren't good games. here's your reply dopamine retard.
>>
>>10893201
>i kinda wish they added a mr.x/nemesis type that would chase you around the traning facility
RE0 would have probably become the most excruciatingly tedious survival horror game if this had been the case.
>Move aside, Siren, the new king is here
>>
>>10887189
RE0 gets judged harshly because it’s a mainline entry in the Resident Evil franchise & it’s the blandest and least fun of all the classic titles except for maybe Code Veronica. If you switched out the RE specific locations/characters and had released it as a standalone game it would be considered a cult classic & there would be a thousand annoying video essays gushing about the overlooked gem. However, since it was an RE game it had a much higher bar to clear.
>>
>>10892021
>Everyone would like to forget the rest.
I did. Anyone else not remembering games as well these days? I remember shit from games I played close to 20 years ago but games I play now I tend to forget most of it. Just becoming an old fuck or too many distractions perhaps.
>>
>>10892471
>and then the office retard screamed "and then a biiiiiiig scorpion showed up"
Legitimately based retard.
>>10893924
I remember the train, the frog jump scare, and the final boss. That's about it.
>>
>>10894328
>>10893924
I remember thinking the game recovered a bit once you finally left the Training Facility. That Walmart-brand Spencer Mansion completely ruined the pacing and way outstayed its welcome.
>>
>>10892471
>"and then a biiiiiiig scorpion showed up".

The big scorpion, like half of the ideas in RE0, was actually an idea dropped during the making of RE1.
This is also why RE0 is trash, it's literally made out of the trash left from RE1's development. All the shit the other devs abandoned, the RE0 devs found them in the trashcans and went like "holy shit this is awesome we can use that!!"
>>
The train is god tier but the rest of the game's areas aren't interesting. That's my only complaint with the game. The leech man was threatening and scary at the time it came out, almost gave flashbacks to Nemesis.
>>
>>10891964
I always thought that afterwards that was because she was tired.
>Oh, wow, that place full of zombies and monsters sure was tough.
>Hey, there's a mansion over there, I'll rest there.
>Christ, there are monsters here too.
>Just fuck my shit up.
>>
>>10886310
Rebecca is cute. Only reason I bothered.

Game would've been okay if had stuck to the old item box mechanic. This 'change for the sake of change' leave your shit on the floor scattered across the map thing was just ill advised from every possible angle.

Still, Rebecca is cute. That little pink choker she wears, you just know she's into hardcore bondage, humiliation and sexual submission at the hands of the superior male of the species.
>>
>>10895903
What happened in RE0 didn't make sense in the first place, she's a small 18 year old medic with no combar experience. If it were, I don't know, Richard in RE0 then yeah, we could say that he went down so easily because he was simply tired. I mean, she literally took a tyrant in a 1 v 1 battle, like what the FUCK
>>
>>10891752
the novelization improves this point, she dodges the prototyrant into the elevator after a brief fight and escapes if the game had done that instead it would have been better but if you have to headcannon it the prototype was weaker and had been in storage a long time
>>10889909
it was meant to be a cameo,my theory they were planning a remake of 2 and just did up the area already as a teaser/so they had a model of it ready
>>
>>10886682
I adore the first 3 games, but if you can't see that 0 and CV fall flat on their asses in their attempts to innovate then I worry for you. Both are at their best when they're reminding you of the original 3 titles and the moment they stray outside of that they go completely off-track. REmake demonstrated perfectly how the old fixed-camera style should have continued to evolve whilst 4 saved the franchise as a whole.
>>
>>10896339
> whilst 4 saved the franchise as a whole.
BUT AT WHAT COST?
AT WHAT COST?
>>
>>10896359
4 and its remake deserve the love they get.
5 isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination but at least Sheva was good for a wank or two as a teenager.
6 is a very flawed game that makes an amazing co-op title.
7 and Village are great additions to the series despite (and not because of) the switch to FPS.
RE2make was fantastic.
RE3make was a couple of hours too short and could have been amazing.
Revelations 1 and 2 are solid spin-offs.

The cost was worth it, I would have loved to see more REmake-style AA titles but I know I'm in the minority in the current industry, and with how gaming has become more mainstream and casualized in the past two decades I think I was always going to be. There's always indie devs making games like Signalis to scratch that itch.
>>
>>10896339
CV didn't really try to innovate and change things that much aside from camera angles. Maybe that's the reason why it's much better than 0 despite still being the worst Resi game after it. Man they really did fuck up with 0, didn't they?
>>10896359
You may dislike the non-/vr/ Resi games (because I do too except 5 and Rev 1) but you have to admit RE still has it better than almost all of the old franchises these days. Objectively the only straight up bad mainline RE game that came out after the /vr/ era is 6
>>
>>10896384
>4 and its remake deserve the love they get.
The remake doesn't deserve any love.
>>
>>10896440
It's actually the only modern RE remake that does deserve love but not as much as people give it. And no wonder current gamers praise it to high heavens, if you play modern trash RE4make feels like the best shit ever in comparison
>>
>>10886310
>Genuinely, why do people hate it?
its hard. thats basicaly it
most people are fucking shit at games

and the stupid hookshot gun but that is another matter
>>
>>10895875
>door opening noise
>huh?
>tension music
>Billy shoots a few shots, BANG, BANG
>oh, suddenly I took a little bit of damage?
>it's over
My very first encounter with leechman happened with the camera switched to another angle where I couldn't even fucking see him, he was gone as soon as I had repositioned.

I had no idea what to make of it, and I just assumed that it was some low tier zombie or mutant I'd be facing again anyway. I had no idea that was supposed to be the main villain or that this event was supposed to be shocking and imposing, I just went on like nothing.
>>
>>10898026
RE0 is not a hard game.
>>
>>10886310
I didn't like what I perceived as too much switching between characters and inventory management. Also, I didn't find the enemies frightening at all.
The graphics are excellent, however.
>>
>>10895917
I would do cruel things to Rebecca.
>>
I replayed it recently for the first time in years and the absolutely bizarre way the story is structured really stood out to me. It's hard to explain, but it's almost like Billy and Rebecca are just guest starring in a game about Birkin and Wesker's pissing match with Marcus that happens completely offscreen. They more or less spend the whole game just wandering around confused about all the random stuff going on around them. I had to laugh when they meet the main antagonist of the fucking game 10 minutes before it ends and are completely nonplussed like, "Who the hell is this guy?"
I know cheesy horror game stories aren't exactly high art but you can still tell them coherently and competently. None of the other old RE games really suffer from this same issue that I can remember so I don't know what happened with 0.
>>
>>10899293
It's the hardest classic RE game but its difficulty comes from the ideas being fundamentally shit or at least very, very hard to realize
>>
File: 18e.png (87 KB, 550x400)
87 KB
87 KB PNG
>why do people hate it?

Majority of tendies was filtered at the time it was released.
And since gaming journalism is mostly Nintendo's cocksucker, the game carried this bad reputation for years.
Add to this the fact that this game was stuck on Nintendo platforms for a long time until 2016 when the remaster came out.
Making it inaccessible, those who didn't know emulated it.
As a result, it did not receive coverage from other serious gaming magazines that were not focused on Nintendo.
>>
>>10892471
you dont have to let the AI control the partner when you are together,you can control the second character with the right stick.
read the manuals.
>>
>>10899782
I never paid that much more thought to the story because it's retarded and thinking about it makes me feel like I'm losing braincells, but that's a very good point. Plus the way the protags just keep going with no reason or intent is just weird, what the hell are they still doing there after the train crash?
oh yeah, "the path to exit the place at the entrance is collapsed" that must be the sole reason.
>>
>>10899782
Plus, Billy and Rebecca's stories are completely disconnected.
I was always baffled by Billy's cutscene about his past in the army, what am I watching? This is not relevant! They could have done something interesting with Billy by having a protag in a grey area morally, but instead they don't really establish anything at all past the first cutscene, and on the contrary, they make a point that he's actually the goodest of all good guys and that he's victim of conspiracy BECAUSE he's so good. Which as a result, also makes all the STARS characters look like they are stupid and bad for treating him like a criminal.
And they manage to do all that through things which are irrelevant to anything that's going on. In RE1/2/3 when things happen that show more of the characters, it was things that were relevant to the story and surroundings.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.