[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Alone in the Dark.png (494 KB, 451x509)
494 KB
494 KB PNG
This game really impressed me. It's probably as close to a flawless execution of its concept as you could expect given that it was the first of its kind.
It's kinda jank in the combat department, but thankfully the combat's not too demanding, and once you learn to avoid getting stunlocked it's decently serviceable. The atmosphere's great and the puzzles are very reasonable and even satisfying overall; the only one that feels somewhat obtuse was how to deal with the evil tree at the very end of the game. I can definitely see myself replaying it at some point.
Too bad the sequels are so shit.
>>
The voice acting really elevates it. It would still be good without it, but it feels pretty modern because of that
>>
>>10886308
They must be so infinitely pissed off that Capcom straight up copied this game and turned it into a cash cow.
Anyone play the new AitD? Is it any good? Worth a pirate? Full of woke shit?
>>
>>10886736
Reynal is on record basically shrugging his shoulders and saying "What can you do?"
It's unfortunate, but it was the timing and the market. People could afford PS1s more than home computers or 3DOs, so that's where the market's big exposure was.
>>
>>10886753
I guess but you know deep down he’s fucking PISSED. Resident Evil is the same game…it’s even inside a mansion…
AitD never gets the praise, Resident Evil gets all of it, stole all the glory. People act like RE was so groundbreaking and tells stories of its development like a Greek myth, when all they fucking did was copy this game.
I’m mad for him, it’s really not fair.
>>
>>10886736
>Capcom straight up copied
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlZCyWFUVhc
This is even more similar than RE1. Capcom at least made Sweet Home before which surprisingly had survival horror elements even before AitD
>>
>>10886757
You forgetting how shit aitd1 action gameplay was comparing to re.
>>
>>10886758
Forgot about this game, didn’t even know it had an English translation, neat.
AitD still predates it by two years though. The animations and menu for item pickup was definitely lifted from this.
Sweet Home is a horror game but pretty far removed from any of these.
>>10886771
Yeah but it was the same concept.
>>
>>10886308
>Too bad the sequels are so shit.
Yeah, I don't understand what they were thinking with the second game when they basically ditched everything that made the first game good and made it more actiony.
I don't remember much about the third one gameplay wise, but at least it had an interesting premise.
>>
>>10886771
>no hand to hand combat
>no left/right jabs, kicking, and blocking
>can't pick up swords
>can't throw any heavy object at the enemy and hurt them
>melee is next to useless because the protagonist is too spaghetti armed to punch enemies away
Nah, RE's combat is simplistic trash.
>>
>>10886736
Sucks that they don't get their due credit,but as far as success goes, they have no one to blame but themselves. Supposedly AitD1 sold 2.5 million copies by the turn of the century, and The New Nightmare 1.4 million, which isn't too far behind the classic REs. It might have found even more success, if they hadn't mismanaged the franchise so badly.
>>
>>10886835
Third game scales combat back to a more acceptable level, though it's still much more actiony than the original. The game's super linear though, and the puzzles suck.
Very early on in the game theres three doors side-by-side door which say they're locked when you walk up to them. You have a key in your inventory, so you try to use it on them, but it doesn't work. There's other doors elsewhere, but it doesn't work on them either and there's nothing left to get or do at this point. Turns out you can open one, and only one, of those "locked" doors, by just interacting with it regularly.
Later on there's another locked door which you have to shoot to open, and there's zero indication that it would work.
There's a part where a guy falls down a trapdoor, and you can't close the trapdoor again to get what's on the other side until you drop a bag of scorpions down that hole.
Then there's a mechanism which is missing a gear. You're supposed to use a sheriff's badge in place of the gear, which might have made more sense if you it showed you where it's supposed to fit but it doesn't. Then you have to step back and use a whip to pull an off-screen lever to activate the mechanism.
That's where I just dropped the game, about a quarter of the way into it. Had to use a guide for all those puzzles. Might have figured out one or two without it, but I doubt it would have been satisfying either way.
>>
>>10886784
>AitD still predates it by two years though
Yeah that's what I was saying, Doctor Hauzer is so similar it straight up feels like a fangame. Then there was also Overblood by the creators of Hauzer that came out almost simultaneously with RE1 and was very similar to it. AitD truly birthed the genre, even though RE1 improved on it dramatically and all of the subsequent survival horror games take inspiration from it and not AitD, stuff like this happens.
Shit, this thread made me want to try the sequels but sadly everyone says they are very bad. I haven't played any of the other games in the series
>>
>>10886736
>Anyone play the new AitD?
Yes.
>Is it any good?
No! It's terrible.
>Worth a pirate?
No.
>Full of woke shit?
None that I can think of right now.
>>
>>10887228
The sequels are bad, but they are fun. They're just nothing like the first one. Forget about lovecraft, embrace gunfights and dressing up as Santa.
>>
>>10887161
The only thing that I don't like is that before leaving Capcom Mikami was literally pretending he'd never even been aware of AitD. Other than that? Judging by AitD2 and 3 the devs clearly didn't even understand what made the first game great (I'm aware most of the team left after 1 but they didn't make other survival horror style games) so I'm thankful that Japanese plagiarized it and basically created an entire genre out of it
>>
>>10886308
>Too bad the sequels are so shit.
New Nightmare isn't terrible. Yeah it's a reboot and is just a blatant RE clone but for what it is, it's not bad. It just has some really questionable design choices like respawning enemies and the way the final boss works for Carnby.
>>
>>10887214
AitD1, you can solve basically every puzzle by just reading all the notes and getting context clues from that.
AitD3 really has some "what the fuck am I supposed to do here, lemme grab the guide" moments by comparison.
>>
>>10887817
Reading all the notes and books isn't even necessary most of the time. Usually the solution is fairly intuitive even without them. The only exceptions that come to mind are how to kill the thing in the library and how to deal with the suit of armor, although I solved that one accidentally just by thinking "I wonder if this 'very heavy' object does more damage than other items when thrown".
Also, I apparently missed the puzzles for how to deal with the room full of zombies and the room with the smoke that hurts you, though I still beat the game just fine. I think it's really neat that those are optional.
>>
File: Ecstatica_Coverart.png (170 KB, 256x325)
170 KB
170 KB PNG
>>10887214
don't forget the luggage that can be stolen later, softlocking your game with no indication

>>10887487
according to Kamiya, he's the one who played AitD and decided to take the game in that direction, not Mikami. so it's possible Mikami really doesn't know anything about AitD.

also, AitD already had clones before the Japanese even picked it up.
>>
>>10886835
>don't understand what they were thinking
First game was Raynal's, and Infogrames famously stole the rights from him (something that was only solved 24 years later) which led to his departure, which is why the direction changed significantly for sequels.

>>10886736
According to what Raynal said during to AitD lawsuit there was a behind-the-scenes deal where Capcom paid a sizeable sum to Infogrames to amicably solve the RE plagiarism dispute.
>>
>>10887340
That’s a shame. A lovecraftian RE2 Remake clone with WW1 guns is like my dream game but I had a feeling it wouldn’t be very good.
At least it isn’t woke.
>>10888003
Interesting and good to hear. Better than nothing.
>>
>>10888016
>good to hear
I eamn, the context in which it came up is that Raynal got none of it and it all went to the bosses who had cheated him of his rights
>>
>>10887228
>Yeah that's what I was saying
My fault, I misinterpreted what you were saying.
Doctor Hauzer didn’t exactly do gangbusters though but yeah that’s definitely a clone. I like the constantly inquisitive look of the main character.
>>
>>10888074
Oh, bad to hear then,
Damn that really sucks. Invent a genre that becomes a billion dollar franchise and get none of the glory or even a pittance from the thieves because you’re surrounded by thieves.
>>
>>10887894
I have never killed the thing in the library, I thought you had to flee from it. Still finished the game.
>>
>>10888003
>According to what Raynal said during to AitD lawsuit there was a behind-the-scenes deal where Capcom paid a sizeable sum to Infogrames to amicably solve the RE plagiarism dispute.
You've posted this before but I've yet to see a single source backing any of it up. It's in the same category as the retards who claim the Parasite Eve author hated the games and pulled the rights from Squaresoft. Pure fantasy bullshit.
>>
>>10888003
>behind-the-scenes deal where Capcom paid a sizeable sum to Infogrames
interesting if true, because ... why?
did Andrew Spencer have to pay them for Ecstatica?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.