[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Secret_of_Evermore.jpg (57 KB, 370x270)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
So here's the problem /vr/. I want to play Secret of Evermore, but I found out there's a bunch of bugs with it. There's fixes for it, which I got from here http://assassin17.brinkster.net/soe_patches.htm to IPS patch myself. Problem is doing more than one of these to the same rom causes Snes9x to crash immediately after the Squaresoft intro ends, without fail. So I looked up and found this site https://greg-kennedy.com/SecretOfEvermore/index.php here. When I use the .sfc for the Secret of Evermore (USA) on this site, it says this
>Error patching the uploaded file.
>Exceeded filesize limit (expected 3145728 or 3146240 bytes).
>Please return to the index and try again.
However, when I go to right click -> properties check the .sfc file, it says
>3.00 MB (3,145,728 bytes)
I have no idea what the fuck is going on. I'm using the USA rom from vimm. Fails. I'm using the rom from CDRomance. Fails. I'm using the rom from wowroms. Fails. I have no clue what the fuck I'm doing wrong; can somebody please help me? I want to fucking play this game but this shit keeps failing me no matter what
>>
>>10886023
Uuuuh... did you try unplugging and then plugging your computer?
>>
If you installed a patch you didn't beat the game
>>
>>10886023
1. play the game with the bugs
2. download a rom that has already been patched
3. get a patch from a different source
4. try a different emulator (zsnes, maybe)
5. try a different program to apply the patch

I've only successfully patched one game and it was just a Japanese to English conversion. I'm pretty sure that getting the right version of the rom to be patched is essential. Some games have a lot of different rom versions.
>>
>>10886035
But the game unpatched is technically easier because of the infinite strong ammo for the Bazooka.
>>
>>10886031
Yes, retard

>>10886043
>download a rom that has already been patched
Cannot find one with all the bugfixes patched into it miraculously
>patch from a different source
This is the ONLY source for these bugfixes
>(zsnes, maybe)
I'll grab it and try it next time
>different program to apply the patch
What besides Lunar IPS?
>play the game with the bugs
Last resort
>>
Sounds like some of those patches may not be compatible with each others.
>>
>>10886023
>I want to play Secret of Evermore, but I found out there's a bunch of bugs with it.

Kids back in the day didn't find that out, for the most part, because the bugs aren't very important. Just play the game normally. It's fine. It isn't going to lock up midway through. The most broken thing about this game by far is that the developers rushed the last part of it. Unless you somehow find a patch to fix that, you needn't bother with patches.
>>
Well I just told you not to bother with the patches but then I went ahead and tried it myself on that site. I got the same error:
>Error patching the uploaded file.
>Exceeded filesize limit (expected 3145728 or 3146240 bytes).
>Please return to the index and try again.

Like your file, mine has what seems to be the right size. I also went ahead and checked the hashes given by the site:
>CRC-32 a5c0045e
>MD5 6e9c94511d04fac6e0a1e582c170be3a
>SHA-1 79e7738630fff5699217ef58ecc421bc8fcbcd89
My file matches all three perfectly.

Tentative conclusion: The site is busted.
>>
Further data: I downloaded some SNES ROM editing/analysis tool and used it to add a header (empty I guess? I dunno how ROM headers work or what they mean) to the file. This gave it the size of 3146240 bytes, as the patching site suggests it should. I submitted it to the patching site. The same error was produced.
>>
Oh, and... maybe your manually patched game was crashing because you used an unheadered ROM? The patching site claims the patches are for a headered ROM, after all. I suggest trying those patches after adding a header yourself. Here is the tool I used to do that:
https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1638/
It's very easy to use.

I have no idea whether this would work. I have run out of motivation for this and no longer care enough to try it myself.
>>
>>10886023
Apply them manually using a multi-IPS patcher like flips or whatever is newer.

The guy even mentions it on his blogpost that links the patchsite but assumes people are retarded and can't search "multi-ips patcher" in a search engine. He's also nice enough to link the page he jacked the patches from. Grab the patches and do it yourself, it's gui operated anyway.
>>
>>10886023
just play the original cart.
>>
I played this last year with no problems. I wouldn't obsess over bugs and just play the game.
>>
I played this shit and didnt encounter a single bug or glitch
>>
>>10886023
I found my bugfixed copy in one of those smokemonster packs. Try looking on archive for it.
>>10886490
You found out if you landed the airship (forget name) on some random island.
>>
>>10886470
They all do different things and alter different values, no? Surely there must be compatibility there

>>10886505
>>10886520
Thank you, I am glad to know it is not just me

>>10886527
Doubtful, but thanks

>>10886532
I just tried it and pic related happened. It created one patched rom for each patch, and not one rom with all the patches applied simultaneously? What the hell is this shit? And why is the floating ips window and interface so blurry compared to everything else?

>>10886604
No

>>10886610
We'll see

>>10886740
Smokemonster packs? What's that supposed to be?
>>
>>10887471
>Surely there must be compatibility there

Depends on how it's handled. If the hacks needed extra space to write the code and two hacks use that same previously empty space it's not gonna work. It's just a guess though idk about those patches.
>>
>>10887673
>>10887471
BTW there is probably a way to find out if my guess is correct. Most patchers should have the ability to create a txt file detailing what the patching did, with a list of ROM addresses and the number of modified bytes at those addresses, so you can find out if two patches modify the same addresses
>>
>>10886023
Is this the biggest instance of false advertising in gaming? Squaresofts logo is on the cover, its named in a way to make you think its a Secret of Mana sequel but it was made by a bunch of fucking white guys. I almost got tricked into playing this.
>>
>>10887770
I thought it was a Secret of Mana sequel.. Would have played it more than one time if he had a sword instead of a bone.
>>
>>10887770

No. It feels enough like Secret of Mana to warrant the suggestion that the two games are related. And it's a pretty good game so it's not like it tricks you into playing a crappy game. The "advertising" is fine. The white guys actually did a good enough job at making a Japanese-style game, believe it or not.
>>
>>10887471
>Doubtful, but thanks

What's doubtful? Your own source for the patches explicitly claims they are for a headered ROM. The one I added a fake header to seems to run fine in Mednafen (I didn't test it for more than a few moments though). If patches apply to specific offsets into a file or something like that (I don't know how they work), then prepending some data to the file will completely change their effect. It makes perfect sense that you might need to do that in order to allow any of them to function.

Just try it you dummy. Add the header, manually apply one patch at a time, and check after each addition whether the result still runs.
>>
>>10887891
OK I got that snes rom tool and added a header, saved it.
OK patched Bazooka bugfix and Infinite Ammo bugfix, and the rom does go to title screen. I must have fucked up with one of the mods though because the title screen corrupted so I had to delete that rom. I need to keep manually making a header for each new rom, so I'm going to header a fresh rom and simply make copies of that if I fuck up. You were absolutely right about the header thing, thank you anon
>>
>>10886023
when i patched sd3 with fixes, translation and multiplayer patches i had to header and de-header the rom based on what the patch wanted
>>
>>10887891
>>10887925
>>10887934
OK IT GOES TO TITLE SCREEN WITH ALL OF THEM PATCHED ON
HEADER WAS THE SOLUTION AFTER ALL
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/7800/ failed because this requires no header instead
Now I think I am good to play this game for real.

>>10886527
Fucking THANK YOU for posting this. I will never forget it exists from now on
>>
>>10887946
good luck anon. i love som/sd3 but never got around to playing soe, i really should one of these days.
>>
>>10887949
In my spreadsheet I use nowadays to track every game I downloaded and played, I listed Secret of Evermore as a Mana series spinoff LOL get fucked >>10887770
>>
File: Untitled.png (11 KB, 1034x136)
11 KB
11 KB PNG
>>10887953
>>
>>10887953
i know its similar mechanically but i've never looked into it enough to call it a spinoff or not. as long as its an adventure similarly and sends you around a world to beat the evil bad guy i think i'd enjoy it
>>
File: Untitled.png (1.98 MB, 1920x1080)
1.98 MB
1.98 MB PNG
I heard Toby Fox put a song in Deltarune Chapter 1 that's a direct ripoff to a song from this game. I will be the judge of if he has good enough taste to warrant it or not. He probably does, but I haven't played this game to know for sure
>>
File: Untitled.png (980 KB, 1920x1080)
980 KB
980 KB PNG
>>10887976
Very solid atmosphere so far. Pretty funny with the way the kid is animated too, and the occasional joke. I didn't expect the robot dog barking. Can't seem to run yet.
>>
File: Untitled.png (1.14 MB, 1920x1080)
1.14 MB
1.14 MB PNG
>>10887995
WHOA you can select and change the window patterns and border
And somehow the player's menu disappeared and got replaced with just the Bone Crusher, and so the other options menus are on the Dog's menu instead
No clue what any of these things in pic related do, yet. I might as well read the fucking manual since I also downloaded that
>>
>>10888002
have you never played som/sd3? those are basic features found in them. you can probably hit select and switch to play as the dog, so the meters are for how aggressive the ai acts when you aren't using that character. i've never found them particularly useful in som/sd3 but sometimes the ai acts retarded and changing it a bit can fix it
>>
File: Untitled.png (1013 KB, 1920x1080)
1013 KB
1013 KB PNG
>>10888002
OH YOU USE THE UP AND DOWN BUTTONS TO SHIFT THE WHEEL MENU
YOU HAVE THREE FUCKING WHEEL MENUS
>controls/options/commands/info
>weapons
>items

>>10888015
Nope, never
Also yeah I figured out from the manual you press select to SEAMLESSLY shift to controlling the dog

Wait was that a hopeless boss fight against the raptors? I wasted both the healing petals trying to survive but my hits kept missing and I only killed 2 of the 4. Fuck it I'm restarting the game
>>
>>10888067
the controls are one of the features that made the other games so great, you could play with friends and swap characters easily. som was actually 3 player but they didnt even bother with that for sd3 (but you can patch it in)
>>
>>10888108
Yeah I'm liking it a lot so far. Seems the Raptors are a hopeless boss fight but you can kill them for loot early if you're lucky. This time I couldn't even kill one because the setup there is deliberately bullshit and I don't want to keep restarting this entire game just to kill all four with the starting weapon
>>
File: sd3.jpg (1.8 MB, 2340x1792)
1.8 MB
1.8 MB JPG
>>10888139
if you enjoy this game, try som or sd3. the whole active combat is quite fun for an old rpg especially if you have a friend to play with. sd3 eventually got a real translation but they didn't bother fixing things and some of the translation was just meh. so here is the patched version i use, its the jap rom, old fan translation, fix only patch and 3 player patch
https://file.io/iMe5dbF1VZia
>>
>>10887770
This is funny considering SoE is a lot better than the mess that SD3 is
>>
File: Untitled.png (1.07 MB, 1920x1080)
1.07 MB
1.07 MB PNG
>>10888207
I'll see about those eventually, because so far I am loving what I am playing.
>npcs have different lines for if you control the dog
This game has such raw "soul" I cannot believe it. It's so cool
And thank you for that rom, saved it
>>
>>10888269

This game does have a great atmosphere. The soundtrack does a lot of the work in that regard, and the graphics help too.
>>
>>10888207
>they didn't bother fixing things
Like what, for example? I do already have Trials of Mana PC version, as seen in >>10887961, so it'd be nice to know
>some of the translation was just meh
Again, like what?
>>
>>10887787
He does have a sword when you get past the prehistoric area.
>>
>>10888376
page is gone now so i took this from the old gamefaqs description:

enabled AGL/evade for actual hit/evade mechanics instead of animation-only
increased chance for critical hits from fixed 0 to 2+LUCK
corrected issue with level-ups where max stats were sometimes those of later levels
Transshape has fixed duration of 12 instead of 25 minus luck
Heal Light no longer "heals" maxHP up/down (effect was only visible on next maxHP check)
prevent HP overflow from healing enemies with 65k+ HP
force attack recalculation on map transition to prevent wolf bonus stacking abuse
Blaze Wall and Flame Breath no longer remove status ailments from the target (they try to inflict non-existing burn state)
the fixes actually make the game easier but also more fun because some things like shield duran make sense when he gets the -30 dmg from fire while carrying the fire shield. even the creator thought it made the game to easy and made his own 'hard' patch. i just think its cool that old broken mechanics suddenly work. none of these fixes are present in the modern release as trials. as far as the translation charlotte isn't as UGU~~sama and exaggerated, the original fan translation was really spot on 20 years ago
>>
>>10888394
>enabled AGL/evade for actual hit/evade mechanics instead of animation-only
I'd HATE having this. Faking hit/evade is garbage
>increased chance for critical hits from fixed 0 to 2+LUCK
ZERO CRITS also sucks
>its cool that old broken mechanics suddenly work
I agree
>none of these fixes are present in the modern release as trials
Do they have to be, if Trials is a full ground-up remake with different mechanics that aren't bugged like this?
>charlotte isn't as UGU~~sama and exaggerated
That sounds great
>>
>>10888423
By the "modern release of trials" I think he's talking about the official emulated SFC version translation which is just the original game with a new, mostly better translation. It didn't fix any of the bugs/issues of the original game because it's just a translation of the original game.

The PC/Switch/PS4 remake is a different game with new mechanics and is a better game since it fixes the core design issues, balance issues between classes, bugs, unfinished content, etc.
>>
>>10888443
Yeah, that. I still want to play the PC remake eventually
>>
>>10888457
It's a 4 year old game now and currently 50% off on steam.
>>
>>10888480
I already have it downloaded, it's fine
>>
>>10888483
dont play that version, it looks like fucking garbage. sd3 is one of the finest looking 2d games ever and you should enjoy it that way.
>>
>>10888496
I can just play both. SD3 original first, then the remake.
>>
File: 017.jpg (403 KB, 1280x720)
403 KB
403 KB JPG
>>10888505
i just think the remakes look like balls compared to the original games. som is simple and has a charm to it, sd3 was amazing looking for an snes game. the remakes look like some cheap gacha game
>>
>>10888537
I'm still willing to play both just for the experience and out of interest.
>>
>>10888537
The Secret of Mana remake is dogshit compared to the SD3 remake since it doesn't really fix any of the original gameplay issues and looks like some cheap mobile game.
>>
>>10888634
Secret of Mana doesn't have gameplay issues. You have skill issues.
>>
>>10886732
yeah me too. The game doesn't need patches. There's apparently one bug where a certain item that gives you 10% attack power is active from the beginning of the game or something when it's actually supped to be activated when you buy a special charm in the market. But i didn't know about that until after playing through it like 5 times. It makes very little difference. The game is totally fine without patches and that's the way 99% of people play it
>>
>>10887949
it's great. I played through it again recently using the randomizer because I've already finished it a few times
>>
>>10888269
at an early point of the game you get a spear. You want to level up the spear to level 2 so you can throw it. I think you have to kill about 100 enemies to do that. I'm pretty sure mosquitos count as 2 enemies so killing those is faster. But the reason you want level 2 is because there is a swamp area and the boss at the end of the swamp takes *ages* and ages and ages to kill with a level 1 spear or bone. So just try to get the spear to level 2 before you get to the end of the swamp. I just remember the first time I played the game I got stuck on that boss for ages because I didn't have a levelled up spear
>>
>>10888951
It's an easy game, where's the skill issue? The combat is boring and slow having to wait for the stamina meter to strike once, and like most early action RPGs magic also freezes the action. Leveling magic sucked too. You're the video game equivalent of some gay music poseur who insists some shitty band is really akshually good. You don't like eating shit? "skill issue lulz"
>>
>>10888951
It definitely has issues, Anon. Spells are absurdly overpowered and melee combat kinda sucks due to waiting for stamina to recharge, which sucks even more because there's also dicerolls to hit.
>>
File: horace good twin.png (2 MB, 1920x1080)
2 MB
2 MB PNG
had my friend play evermore for the first time the other month using 2 player hack with me which has a lot of coding issues and bad exploits. regardless of that he loved it and wants to first time som then trials together with a 3rd. for trials i dont know much besides getting the official translation patch and 3 player and enabling criticals. are there any good quality of life stuff for som thats still feels vanillaish? i wouldnt mind a hack that prevents enemy and player stun lock by mashing attack on them over and over. im just worried the game aged poorly and they are gonna get repetitive gameplay that evermore had less of a problem with due to the mazes and trading quest

i had an idea for som of trying that msu-1 streaming music thing but instead of putting in custom tracks i REINSERT the normal snes tracks. that way there would be no music/SFX clashing. but thats only in theory and i never did the msu stuff before. would this work?
>>
>>10886043
>I've only successfully patched one game and it was just a Japanese to English conversion.

You're a smoothbrain retard doublenigger if you can't even apply a fucking patch to a rom
>>
>>10888537
The SoM remake is very faithful and looks nice, nothing wrong with it.
>>
The MD5 of the vimm sfc matches the one on the website, idk if a header changes the hash, it should(?).

You can check in in CMD with e.g. certUtil -hashfile soe.sfc MD5
>>
>>10889372
I'm sorry you're retarded. I'm sorry you literally have a panic attack because you can't handle this very simple fun game.
>>
>>10891575
You're not here to discuss video games.
>>
There's a randomizer here for the game. It works pretty well. I played through it again a few weeks ago and it made it kinda fun again having stuff in different locations
https://evermizer.com
>>
>>10888067
>defeated by the raptor pack
NGMI
>>
>>10891579
>retarded zoomer who parrots meaningless eceleb non-complaints
That projection.
>>
>>10892120
I want to discuss video games, now if you'd like to explain how Secret of Mana's combat is fine with how fucking lopsided it is with the overpowered magic system and the stamina gauge, then I'm willing to listen to your arguments, but all I'm seeing is you throwing out insults. Which probably means you either haven't played Secret of Mana, or you just don't care and are actually here to start shit.
Ball's in your court, sport. Talk about the game or just respond with more bullshit, your choice.
>>
>>10892129
>how Secret of Mana's combat is fine

I figure the anon you're sparring with already touched on the answer by calling it a "very simple fun game". If you go into it ready to be satisfied with something very simple and basic then you can easily be dazzled by its many charms, on top of your satisfaction with its terribly janky but basically functional mechanics and story, and have a great time, feeling that all that stuff is indeed fine. If you're looking for depth or refinement in mechanics or story then you'll see the clumsy and shallow aspects of it and be bothered by how stupid the percentage system and charge attack system are and how simple and samey most spells are and how bizarrely spell effects and item effects and attack effects compound with one another when applied to the same target.

And yeah, if a person fails to play the game with the generous, wonder-filled mind of a child and instead plays it as a sophisticated adult, and consequently fails to enjoy it, that person is not falling prey to a "skill issue" as anon claimed, because unfortunately for all of us, temporarily forgetting things and becoming stupid and generous and extremely prone to delightful wonderment is not a skill we can ever be expected to possess.
>>
>>10892219
It's not even simple though, in fact the stamina system and the dicerolls to hit go against that. If the game was simple, your hero would swing the sword and if you saw your sword hit the badman, they'd lose HP.
That and I never claimed the game was bad or anything like that, I just said it has issues, which it certainly does.

Really I think that guy just wants to start shit, and I'm too stupid to let it rest. Also while I'm on all this, I think Secret of Evermore suffers from the same problems of the dicerolls to hit and alchemy being busted as hell, but I still consider it to be the superior game for its atmosphere and setting. Both games are still worth playing though.
>>
>>10886023
You must get really anxious having to minmax everything all the time.
>>
>>10893368
Sometimes, but not always

>>10891842
Yeah, RIP to me
>>
>>10890492
bump
>>
>>10890492
besides the trials and evermore stuff listed i guess there isnt much quality of life improvements for som besides fusoyas dialoge spruce up or that dungeon randomizer then? i guess ill test my theory with the msu stuff. has anyone tried that stuff?
>>
OP here. I beat the first big boss on the cover art by spamming spells at his heart. That acid rain hurts like a bitch. I got the axe now and this cuts the short plants in the jungle area. Do I bother getting the femur breaker to level 3, or leave it at level 2?
>>
File: Untitled.png (1.65 MB, 1920x1080)
1.65 MB
1.65 MB PNG
>>10896918
A well?
>>
>>10892226
You truly are a soulless husk. I can't imagine you have many friends with that attitude. I mean that seriously; how, exactly, do you say the kind of things you feel comfortable typing anonymously to another human being with a straight face? Your criticisms are absurd and childish and I can't imagine ever taking them seriously.
>>
File: Untitled.png (1.14 MB, 1920x1080)
1.14 MB
1.14 MB PNG
>>10896961
holy shit these fuckers were tough
>>
>>10897005
OK I am 2:72 on Spider Claw axe, got the direction from the lava mountaintop guy telling me to go into the swamp. I remember >>10889349 told me to get level 2 spear by that boss, which shouldn't be too hard next time I play. Just gotta murder more raptors and spiders so I hit 3:0 on the axe first after this much effort
>>
>>10897005
Generally it's better to just focus on leveling the spear up as you get stronger ones to replace whatever spear you're currently using. I'm pretty certain the only thing leveling weapons does is grant charge attacks, and while the axe attacks are cool, spear's just too fucking practical to pass up.
>>
>>10897114
Thanks. I didn't even know charge attacks existed until I checked the manual about weapon levels. Now I am oneshotting these raptors and spiders where before it took like 2-3 full 100% hits each. Amazing and fun. Takes a bit of holding down A, but it's worth it if you land it.
>>
>>10896918
yeah you don't really need femur level 3. It's better to wait till you get the spear which is pretty soon and get that to level 2 as quick as you can for the next boss
>>
>>10896961
that's a fireplace. They will be useful later on in the game
>>
>>10897121
It gets even better with the maxed out spear, you're gonna love it.
Also you can always rebind the attack button to something more comfortable for you, I put it on B, myself.
I still die a little on the inside anytime my thrown spear hits a monster but it registers as a miss though.
>>
>>10897123
That's the plan

>>10897125
Teleport rooms, I take it?
>fireplace
I didn't expect Harry Potter style warping in this old SNES RPG of all places

>>10897126
I'll take your word for it. And I'm using the mod that switches A and B in the game, so when I go into the controller options in the game's options ring and swap them, A is actually A on my physical controller and so is B for B.
>>
>>10897136
Not quite a teleporter though, it's something cooler. But you'll find it later on. I actually didn't know there was a mod that swaps the buttons, that's weird.
Also your alchemy spells grow in strength as you use them too, so it might be worth leveling your heal spell if you got it.
>>
>>10897138
I used this one
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4580/
I also got this one for faster spell leveling
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5898/
Does casting on multiple targets also gain me multiple spell point instances? Or is it one spell point gain instance per spell?
>>
>>10886490
The worst glitch actually can lock you out. If you do some sewer button door opening puzzle wrong and save, your savefile is done
>>10886740
IIRC it's landing on an extremely specific spot in the face in the world map, it used to be a debug point or something. But even there, it may be time sensitive or something. It lands you in the Jungle area IIRC, you're supposed to lose your airship and then you're stuck there forever but I've never had that happen when I messed with it. You're extremely unlikely to randomly come across it
>>
>>10887770
This >>10887859 It plays a lot like SoM and actually manages to avoid most of SoM's problems and jank
>>
>>10886023
Such a lonely feeling to this game.
>>
>>10898085
Even Toby Fox thought so
https://youtube.com/watch?v=dXALh8rORyQ
https://youtube.com/watch?v=ayuCfK1218s
>>
>>10886023
If you know about the bugs, just avoid them.
>>
>>10886023
Millions of people played and finished this game when it came out, but you go through all of this trouble because you are afraid of a few bugs that you already know to avoid. I just don't get it.
>>
>>10897828
Yeah sadly it's a per-cast system. So even if you target like 3 dudes and hit them, it only counts as 1 XP for the spell.
>>
>>10898658
Guess that means I gotta spam spells on single targets a lot

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.