[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

What's the final word on the English translation? It was controversial at release because it's a Japanese -> machine translation to Spanish -> English translation. Understandably there would be something lost in translation with a funnel like that.

But is the translation actually bad? I've been holding off in case a better English translation comes along. But if we're talking the occasional Engrish, but the actual translation is sound, I can vibe with that. I'm wondering if it's just a bad translation, or if it's badly translated, if that makes sense.
>>
>>10880612
It's not 2008 anymore and people shouldn't have to settle for "better than nothing" when it comes to translations. Amateur efforts that partially utilize machine translation totally have their place as a stepping stone, but this guy seemed really tonedeaf doing it for such a high-profile game. He never fixed the limitations that held back the Spanish patch and never spoke a lick of Japanese to begin with. He just kind of appeared out of nowhere shilling his patch on /vr/ and even @ing the original devs on Twitter trying to drum up attention, seemingly unaware of the other team that was already working on translating it...
That is to say, this is a very rough translation with an ugly fixed-width font and severe text limitations. I can't overstate the amount of nuance that's being lost here, but from the couple of hours that I played the broader strokes of it are all there. There's a sort of alien charm to playing poorly translated games sometimes that can really connect with you, like in Chulip. Maybe try a little bit of it for the exploration and come back once somebody else makes a patch.
>>
>>10880612
It's a vague and trippy game. A shitty translation might actually affect nothing, who's to say. The game is clunky and lives off of its vibe though.
>>
In all honesty I'm just happy with the cover art and sometimes posting it on hidden gem threads, it looks mysterious. Playing the actual game is not a priority of mine.
>>
>>10880612
>Japanese -> machine translation to Spanish -> English translation
lol garbage
>>
>>10880643
Do we know if the original translation team is still working on it?
>>
>>10880612
>But is the translation actually bad?
What do you think?
>Japanese -> machine translation to Spanish -> English translation.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.