[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 76555.jpg (140 KB, 930x524)
140 KB
140 KB JPG
Ultima VIII.
>>
Great idea, bad execution.
>>
stop spamming threads
>>
>>10879893
stop discussing video games on the video game board
>>
It was the first Ultima game I played so it's got a special space in my memory.

Loved fucking around with the debug menu
>>
>>10879819
At the time, it was looked at as a gigantic disappointment. Seeing the state of gaming nowadays, I think it's now looked at as a classic.
>>
>>10879910
A random screenshot from Google Images and the title of the game written out twice is not discussion. If you have nothing to say or even ask about a game then don't make a thread. Spam is against the rules.
>>
Ultima IX was the end, EA taking a giant shit on the franchise.
>>
>>10879819
Is this game as horrible as the internet has me believe?
>>
>>10880157
Same here. The only bad thing really was the jumping, otherwise I thought it was a decent game.
>>
the way to "fix" this game is to play the running and jumping parts using a gamepad but switch to the mouse for everything else.
>>
>>10879819
was this the first ultima to not have a retarded camera perspective?
>>
>>10880893
in isometric view, yes.
graphically this was the best Ultima of all, the animations are great.
>>
>>10880869
Running and jumping bits are doable with a mouse, if you play the patched version.
>>
>>10880198
fuck the rules
>>
>ah yes thats what Ultima Needs, to become Super Mario!
the exact moment I knew Rich Garriott had gone insane
>>
>>10881051
I think it's more like Prince of Persia.
>>
>>10879819
EA ruined Origin Systems and Lord British joined forces with the dark side. Ultima died.
>>
>>10880918
I genuinely had no idea the U8 engine was used for the Crusader series. They look and feel so utterly different.
>>
>>10880298
No.

Well I can understand why people wouldn't like it if they were raised on the previous Ultima games though

Not I'm britanna
Smaller world
Less characters
No party members
Jump puzzle (just one towards the end)

It was my first and I loved the hell out of it. Really enjoyed the setting and the concept. Went back and played the pervious ultimate. They were great but very different though
>>
>>10881290
Scratch that. They're might have been some more jump puzzles. Been decades since I played.
>>
>>10879819
U8 should've been U7 but with U8 graphics, turn based combat, and a detailed character build system.
>>
>>10880161
>Seeing the state of gaming nowadays, I think it's now looked at as a classic.
I wouldn't go that far, but in hindsight OSI/EA proved they could make a much worse Ultima with U9.
>>10879893
Pretty much this. U8 anticipated the ARPG wave of the late 90s/early 2000s but it was a botched attempt. It really should've been an Ultima spinoff rather than a mainline installment.
>>
>>10881293
Best character build system was the Tarot cards.
>>
>>10881321
*I meant pretty much this >>>
>>10879872
>>
>>10881335
Definitely. For chargen they should've gone back to the tarot system, but improving on the broken combat of U6 and U7 would've also required an expansion of character progression options in terms of stats and the like. It's as if combat and any systems tied to it were an afterthought, which is why U6 and U7 play more like adventure games than RPGs.
>>
>>10881354
>broken combat
I don't understand this gripe. It's fine.
>>
>>10879872
>Great idea, bad execution.
bad idea bad mario. bad autist spell systems too.
>>
>>10881493
The premise of the Guardian banishing you, the Avatar, into a world already conquered by the Guardian where no one knows who you are is excellent. I think it's wasted potential.
>>
>>10881254
>EA is the Guardian in Ultima 7, 8 and 9 trilogy
There are 3 generators (Cube, Sphere and Tetrahedron) made by the Guardian in Ultima VII. The shapes of these generators form the logo of EA from 1982 to 1999.
Elizabeth and Abraham, the twin siblings, are the Guardian's minions who did serial killing in the game. Their names' initials are EA.
Origin's motto was "We Create Worlds", the Guardian is known as Destroyer of Worlds.
>>
>>10880157
>debug menu
I read that and heard the "haaahaahahaa" annoying laugh. Debug Menu rocked.
>>
>>10881540
I'm aware anon. I know.
>>
>>10880952
Just about every fag who posts here and even played this has played the patched version only.
>>
>>10881963
I played the unpatched U8. It was the last Ultima games I played. I love the series before U8.
>>
>>10881979 (Me)
Ultima IX never exists.
>>
>>10881983
What's a paladin?
>>
>>10881375
If by you fine you mean you hate tactical combat in RPGs and just want to fast forward through every encounter without the player having to get involved then yes, it's fine.
>>
>>10883173
It might have been because we were playing on a computer that was too fast but I remember playing u7 and within just hitting the fight button and before I could click anything else my party already ran off and beat the shit out of the baddie.

Not exactly tactical combat
>>
>>10881498
especially because to get back, to even gain power, you have to interact with a magic system that completely betrays the britannian system of morality. every thing you do to advance the plot basically undoes all the character development fro 4. this is a goddamn interesting idea, and if 9 had actually taken advantage o this, and, say, made the avatar lose his avatarhood and have to regain it in order to actually have a chance against the guardian, that would have been a really cool take.

but it was fucking wasted not just in this game but the sequel.
>>
>>10881963
I beat it unpatched when it came out. I have always liked the game. Not great as an Ultima game, but still found it interesting and enjoyed exploring. Played through a couple times recently and still like it. Movement is horrible and frustrating though.
>>
>>10879819
I love U8 and all it's jank.
I still think it would be a far better recived game at the time if it simply wasn't a mainline title called "Ultima 8" and was some sort of sideline game simply called "Ultima: Pegan".
Ultima has a bunch of different gameplay systems across the franchise, but to step away from RPG as hard as they did for a mainline title was really fucking stupid marketing.
>>
>>10885524
>I beat it unpatched when it came out.
damn dude. how long did it take? you must've felt great when you did it. I can't remember what the addon was but you must have heard about it with those screenshots floating around the net. Would've been great. God bless Devon
>>
Waiting for the day the expansion ceases to be lost media
>>
>>10885560
I can't remember how long. I know I got stuck with the story a few times not knowing where to go next. Got lost in the catacombs a couple of times and thought I would never finish. That was worse than the jumping for me. The jumps were just save scumming and trial and error on the moving platforms. It also helped that I was a kid and had shitloads of free time.
This game, like some other Ultima games, is more fun when you already know what to do.
I still have hope the addon will see the light of day.
>>
I can't believe EA still holds the rights to this series. I'm surprised they never sold it to another publisher nor that they tried to milk it in anyway past Ultima Online.
>>
>>10885986
They've used the rights a couple of times to make shitty mobile games that were Ultimas in name only and which were such flops they've been forgotten.
>>
I'd say just watch a let's play. Actually playing this game... it has a lot of tedious busywork and cryptic weird shit.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.