[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: image-w856.jpg (207 KB, 1280x1519)
207 KB
207 KB JPG
>always thought the "use toothpaste on scratched discs" thing was bullshit because rebuffing was always a scam
>it actually works
Granted the success rate sometimes isn't that high but it does occasionally help save a game, least long enough for me to complete it.
>>
yeah, same principle as any sort of polishing compound for other applications
>>
I pity fools who don’t have access to a shop with a resurfacer
>>
I tried this once, but completely fucked up the disc instead.
>>
does resurfacing (with a machine not toothpaste shit) have any downsides?
>>
>>10879449
Tried it, didn't work. I don't know if it depends on the kind of toothpaste or what, I remember seeing that the white ones are better so used some of that. Disc worked even less.
>>
>>10879490
eventually you run out of the protective plastic layer to remove.
>>
>>10879496
ok so basically like sanding down hardwood floors. you can do it a few times before you can't.
>>
>>10879517
Yes, so start putting the discs into a case after use and don't treat them like a child would so they don't get scratched and unreadable again. For the most part you can just not use the disc these days on old systems anyway, just play the game from a hard drive or microSD or whatever.
>>
>>10879570
i have some ps1 and dreamcast games from local auctions that are very scratched up, which is why i asked.
>>
>is this how you green text?
>>
>>10879847
Sorry bros, wanted to make sure that's how you did that. Long time lurker here.

Also is there any way to resurface a disc without a resurfacer? Like if you got one of those liquid screen protectors and used that?
>>
>>10879598
I believe the way to check to see if they’re salvageable is to hold the disc up to a light with the shiny side towards you and make sure no light is showing through. If it doesn’t show through then the scratches aren’t too deep and could benefit from resurfacing.
>>
>>10879895
hm, sounds like a good rule of thumb.
>>
>>10879856
Read the FAQ to avoid noobposting
>>
No foolin' I would use white toothpaste on ps2 games back in the day and it usually worked for me
>>
>spitting in cartridges
>smearing toothpaste on discs
you guys are retarded
>>
>>10879449
>toothpaste on scratched discs" thing was bullshit because rebuffing was always a scam
>>it actually works

if the top part of a disc was scratched, you're screwed. if you tried the polish the top part more, you're just scrapping off more data or corrupting them.
>>
Testing, am I still banned?
>>
>>10882829
Yeah, you're still banned. Hopefully they let you post soon.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.