[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: GBAs.jpg (118 KB, 531x385)
118 KB
118 KB JPG
The Game Boy Advances are exactly the same software-wise, right? Is there anything the SP or micro can play that the original can't?
>>
They're the same internally. The only difference is the micro can't play old GB/GBC carts.
>>
>>10879337
no
>>
>>10879337
>>10879438
If you are playing legit cartridges pretty sure 100% the same.
But I remember way back that a flashcart I had, would work perfectly on a micro, but have issues on SP/Original. So there has to be some tiny internal thing that's actually different.
>>
>>10879514
more likely just shit production quality on the flashcart
>>
>>10879638
That doesn't make sense? Why would it work for the micro, which probably wasn't even a thought when producing the cart when the GBA and SP were the ones actually intended to be used?
>>
>>10879337
>original has a headphone jack
>SP has the backlit screen
>Micro rapes your hands and can't play older games
>older models of the NDS can still play GBA
>>
>>10880335
I've played my micro for hours and never had a problem.
>>
>>10880335
Micro has headphone jack
>>
>>10879638
>>10879906
Obviously it was a shitty flashcart, one of the first gen carts I think. But it was made around the DS era, so it worked perfectly on the DS slot, and also worked perfectly on the Micro. But trying it on a GBA and GBASP made it glitch quite a bit.
So there had to be SOME extremely minuscule detail that's different about the Micro and the original GBAs that a badly produced cart would have issues with. Meanwhile playing original carts nobody would ever notice a difference.
Maybe there is a newer RAM or some updated chip, also worth noting that the Micro had digital volume control, but DS went back to analog.
Someone who knows his shit could probably answer.
>>
>>10879514
>>10880634
lol. no. A random anecdote from some kid on the internet doesn't mean anything has to be anything. There could be many other reasons why that happened. Also plenty why it never did.
>>
File: sr22e6ce6dcf9aws3.png (7 KB, 1664x1248)
7 KB
7 KB PNG
>>10880335
>original has a headphone jack
Win. The reason I almost always went Genesis over SNES was solely for the headphones. No outsider wants to hear a cacophony of gaming noises but the gamer. And that's not even a handheld device! What handheld is complete without this, honestly?
>SP has the backlit screen
Almost just as good, but it if came down to it, I'd choose the above.
>Micro rapes your hands and can't play older games
I remember a lot of GB Micro shilling back in the day. Was that all BS?
>older models of the NDS can still play GBA
This has headphone and backlit support, yeah? Guess go that for GBA, and GBA for..pre-GBA, since some GBC games like Shantae and Zelda Oracles are GBA-enhanced.
>>
I'm just extremely salty that the gba doesn't have stereo speakers. It's a wide boy, it has room for stereo
>>
>>10881341
>This has headphone and backlit support, yeah?
It does. I find the original DS most comfortable to play GBA on, but DS lite is brighter
>>
honestly the only real selling points of the micro are the swappable faceplates and the fact the the screen, while small, was superbly crisp.the readability was actually really surprising.
>>
>>10882352
True. I fucking hate the dpad on the lite. It hurts a lot to use. But the screen on it looks so much better than the phat. What I wouldn't give for some kind of swappable screen for the phats
>>
>>10882385
Same. The DS lites buttons are too mushy for my liking
>>
>>10879337
Kirby tilt n tumble doesn't work on sp because it's only designed to work one orientation.

>>10881341
micro is cool for size, whether or not you like it is up to opinion. The SP did have aftermarket headphones adapters. They plug into the charge port. Nintendo made headphones that plugged into it as well, but third parties just made adapters so you could use anything.

Also, the ags-101 has the best screen overall, though to me the micro is good enough. funny to me how original DS was the last handheld where you could turn off the lighting. I remember when ags-101 came out and I thought "why would anyone want a GB where you couldn't turn the light off? your battery will be terrible and it won't work outside" Guess it's fine now cuz nobody playing these today is ever going outside.

>>10882385
>>10882393
I remember original DS was the only one I could stand to snake on in mario kart. Almost wanna buy one again for nostalgia; It is 20 years old now after all.
>>
>>10880634
>Someone who knows his shit could probably answer.
So that means you don't and you shouldn't.
>>
>>10881341
>the only other person in the world who actually used the Mega Drive headphone port
>>
>>10880335
>>older models of the NDS can still play GBA
Except for one of the MMBN games. It relied on unintended hardware behavior. Nintendo even put out a message apologizing for the incompatibility.
>>
>>10881341
There is a clone emulator called the GB-60A that can play GBA and a few other consoles and resembles the AGB-001, plus it already has backlight and rechargeable battery. Only caveat is the compatibility is probably not 100%, but still
>>
File: 1662838555604801.gif (63 KB, 250x250)
63 KB
63 KB GIF
>>10884493
>Except for one of the MMBN games. It relied on unintended hardware behavior. Nintendo even put out a message apologizing for the incompatibility.
Huh, neat. Which MMBN was it?
>>
Google is so shit nowadays, trying to find info on anything sucks so much.
>>10880780
I clearly remember gba forums talking about flashcart issues on old gbas but it seems the info is lost or the forums deleted.
>>10885513
Same here trying to find news from the day and can't find much. I remember it being MMBN 4 Red Sun, but I got bored trying to find the official Nintendo announcement
>>
>>10885513
>>10886304
https://web.archive.org/web/20160310055453/https://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/gameboy/trouble_specificgame.jsp#megaman

The game is actually playable, it just has slowdowns in a certain section of the game that is fixed by just moving to the next area.
>>
>>10879387
Why?
>>
>>10884508
that dpad looks grim
>>
>>10879337
micro can't play GB/C games
>>
>>10886304
>Google is so shit nowadays
True
>>10886304
>I clearly remember
Usually a good indicator of a false memory
>talking about flashcart issues on old gbas
There's no shortage of taking. We have that right here. Evidence that conclusions jumped to by luddites are correct is what's lacking.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.