[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Contra_III_game_cover.png (186 KB, 378x263)
186 KB
186 KB PNG
Obnoxious level design, unbalanced difficulty settings (normal is a cakewalk, hard is a frustrating mess), bosses and even popcorn enemies are massive bullet sponges, nauseating top-down stages, excessive gimmicks, and somehow the weapon swap exploit was never caught in testing. One of the few 2D Contras that missed the mark.

Are we meant to spam weapon swap? It seems like it should be an exploit, but the enemies have an absurd amount of HP on Hard if you don't and just never fucking die and how could you not figure out that weapon swapping does way more damage naturally during play? I'm about to just throw autofire on weapon swap just so I can stomp this kusoge and be done with it.
>>
>>10878994
Better than Hard Corps where half the game is waiting through boss intro animations
>>
>>10878994
Not a good game, but it was as good as you were going to get on the 2.68 mhz SNES. It's a shame Konami wasted so much time and efforts on such a poorly designed system.
>>
Contra 3's hard mode being unfair is a well known fact.
>>
https://www.backloggd.com/u/videogameplayer/review/1513970

lol
>>
File: MS2fag detected.png (48 KB, 964x277)
48 KB
48 KB PNG
>>10879068
Oh great it's the MS2fag. He hasn't even 1CC'd any of these games btw.
>>
File: 1469517547472.png (764 KB, 1088x977)
764 KB
764 KB PNG
The top down levels are pure shite but the rest is kino
>>
>>10879059
By scrubs maybe.
>>
>>10879021
>still seething 30 years later
contra hard corps is literally just a mod of gunstar heroes
>>
>>10878994
>>10879002
>>10879021
The meds, auster.
>>
Contra 3 is a fun game, but it's a little too difficult. I was able to beat it on hard, but I had to play the game multiple times and memorize the levels, so when I beat it I was just playing on autopilot. It wasn't even fun. It's not fun to play through a game when you have everything memorized and you're trying to beat the last guy. That's treating a game like it's a math problem to solve or something.
>>
>>10879309
I 1CC'd it on Hard. It wasn't that difficult, the only hard part was the boss where you have to hang on the missiles, that needs some practice.
>>
>>10879309
>but I had to play the game multiple times and memorize the levels
Isn't that normal for mastering videogames and isn't that the fun of it?
>>
>>10879346
Ya I call bullsht. If you beat this 1 life on hard you would have your own channel speedrunning this type of stuff. Is it possible? Sure. 1 life and you pretend it's not difficult? Bullsht

The end levels (last 2 or so) for snes contra are more difficult than the nes ones. The rest of the game isn't that bad though
>>
>>10880691
I said 1cc, not one life. Anyway you're free to not believe me, I don't care.
>>
>>10878994
I only like Neo Contra.
>>
>>10879346
Yeah that boss is cheap. It seems like I always had some crappy gun while at him lol. I liked having the S for that boss I could jump on the rockets while shooting.
>>
Contra III is literally a perfect game and there's simply no reason to read the op text or reply to anyone in this thread.
>>
>>10878994
The setpieces are great and I noticed that Metal Slug just ripped off all of them. But Hard Corps setpieces are even better.

So

Gunstar Heroes > Hard Corps > Contra 3

As gunstar shares the same designers I give it to gunstar heroes. But if you include arcade games

Gunstar Heroes > Moo Mesa > Mystic Warriors > Sunset Riders > Hard Corps > Contra 3

And you could still include more treasure games, but it would be too long.
>>
>>10883769
the top down sections ruin any chance of being perfect
>>
>>10883969
Hard Corps > Sunset Riders > Moo Mesa > Mystic Warriors > Contra 3 > Gunstar Heroes

t. Has no-miss cleared all these games.

Gunstar Heroes is extremely overrated. I guess it's mindless fun on the lower difficulties, but Expert difficulty just really causes the flaws to be glaringly obvious. You have to choose between two equally bad controls schemes, constant screen shake, massive hordes of infinite spawning enemies with bullshit grabs, repeated stun-lock, the gun combinations are poorly balanced and poorly implemented, massive bullet sponge bosses that take literally minutes of just avoiding the same loops while doing chip damage, and just an unbalanced mess in general.

If you had the ability to choose your loadout at any time or per stage (or at the very least not rely on two different RNG drops to get your desired loadout), and a stationary aim button, the game would be much better, but it suffers from being too ambitious with a 3 button controller
>>
>>10884624
>massive bullet sponge bosses that take literally minutes of just avoiding the same loops while doing chip damage
sounds like you just used the lightning chaser.
>>
>>10884656
No, it's trash on Expert. Flame has the best combos
>>
>>10878994
Honestly sounds like a skill issue as Super Probotector is undoubtedly one of the best games from the early SNES lineup.
>>
>>10884952
>Super Probotector is undoubtedly one of the best games from the early SNES lineup
Not exactly a shining endorsement of the SNES library.
>>
>>10884968
Do you have basic reading comprehension issues you retarded faggot? I very clearly wrote ‘early SNES lineup’ which doesn’t imply the entire console’s library you fucking dumb fucktarded spazmo.
>>
>>10884952
I know it's bait, but probotector has always been cooler than Contra. I like Contra because it's cheesy, probotector works as cheesy or serious
>>
I hate when action games have competent core gameplay, but then spend more than half of their time on gimmicky shit. Who were they trying to impress, reviewers? Casuals? Just let me run & gun FFS
>>
>>10883993
Literally filtered. You absolutely unequivocally could not be more of a pleb. Something is literally wrong with your brain if you don't like the top down sections. I'm assuming you were beat up a lot in class and didn't have any friends to play video games with.
>>
>>10887145
Not him, but the top down sections are boring with trash controls in 3, they were a lot better in Operation C and Super C
>>
>>10886562
t. least deranged tendie
>>
>>10878994
Shut your mouth.

>>10879002
Truth bomb.

Contra III has one of the best soundtracks ever. Quality on the SNES is particularly good. Lvl 3 especially.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Plo3YL1CATM
>>
>>10879059
Yeah. I can get to the stage 3 boss without dying. After that stage 4 boss kicks my ass. I can beat it on hard mode, but I have to use continues. My buddy can do death run it on hard mode. Insanely jealous of that MF.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.