[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vm/ - Video Games/Multiplayer

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1714028604433468.png (200 KB, 599x602)
200 KB
200 KB PNG
Why do modern multiplayer games feel like a second job? It's been so long since I actually had fun.

Everything is battle passes, dailies, ranked climb, FOMO, manipulative algorithms, skin economy, anticonsumer practices, deceptive marketing, prolonging gametime, EOMM, bad mechanics, etc.
>>
>>1267855
VALVe set a stone for the video game industry and nobody is blaming them for the horrors of time sinking they have produced.
>>
>>1267860
no I had fun with most of valve's games
>>
>>1267860
Dota 2 was definitely a time sync. But I think GTA Online was the worst contender. Having to drive across the map to kill a couple baddies and go all the way back is not fun. I miss when people played death match and other pvp games. What happened where everyone wants to play matchmaking or singleplayer?
>>
Maybe you've grown up
>>
>>1267855
This is only an issue for fickle players who move from game to game trying to follow trends. Anyone who actually likes the game and plays thousands of hours of it wont care. Look inward. The game "industry" demands that we constantly move from shiny thing to shiny thing, but also tries to manipulate us to invest in one. Just stop. You dont need to play 50 games a year. Just play the one you like. Stop falling for their trick, the trick that makes you think you need more games. We need less games, or better games. Not more games.

I play maybe 4-5 actual games a year. And fuck, like only one of them has battlepasses.

Ok I just wrote this and now I realize you just play trash games lol. Sucks to be stupid, doesnt it?
>>
>>1267855
Rainbow Six Siege is the main multiplayer game I have continued to play over the years. PvP, focus on developing my skills and strategy, which is reflected by steady overall improvement in my K/D and win ratio. That is what drives me, motivates me, makes it fun to play. Pop off and hit shots like crazy, run circles around my opponents, be proud of myself. Die stupidly, recognize how I can improve and how my position / reaction / timing was inadequate. Do better next time.
Not the battle pass (cosmetics), or any semblance of progression and leveling. For me, hate when there is a loadout "meta," ever-changing 1 or 2 guns / armor / skills to use that dominate, but changes every other patch. The need to "progress' (log hours and grind matches) to unlock better tiers of gear. it's all some shit to your point where it feels like a second job. Utter bullshit and I've cut myself off from games like that (Destiny 2, CoD, others). I will play for as little as I like, to have fun and enjoy myself, that is it. Don't make me fucking waste hours of my life doing virtual tasks accruing virtual credits for virtual goods that help me not get fucked by your virtual difficulty scaling / manufactured imbalanced multiplayer. I want to play a few rounds of vidya, on an even playing field where my actual skill makes the difference, and move on with my life.
>>
>>1267855
You can't make a videogame that normalfags will play for thousands of hours without getting bored. But you CAN make a videogame that normalfags will play for thousands of hours because their monkey brain has been tricked into wanting to do so. And you need normalfags to be playing for thousands of hours if you are to maintain an MMO population, otherwise everyonr will just bounce once the adventure is over.
>>
>>1267855
Then don't partake in any of that stuff.
>>
>>1267855
Because they’re made by social engineers for social engineering purposes, not game designers for fun purposes.
>>
File: ReFuse.jpg (66 KB, 554x304)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>>1267855
I will definitely not touch a MP game in the next 20 years
it might even be better to stop playing video games altogether
the only people that try to convince you otherwise are the ones trying to sell you something or have an agenda in a similar vein

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojYBHy-9xTo

also I feel like developers make wrong decisions why bother playing

would you rather play this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DNBor3WD5g

or this lame ass combat here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOX5fUlTnps
>>
>>1268265
>he can't afford a heli/jet
poorfag coping

nah it was grindy though, cayo perico does make it real easy to get a big pile of money for little effort though.
>>
>>1267855
It's just most gaming in general
they are allergic to making something fun with no bullshit attached and it's just eating away at the fun, not to mention finding new ways to make more gooder games gets harder as the industry matures
>>
>>1267855
because kikes took over the gaming industry

indie games simply can't compete since you would need tons of investiments to do it

the market works like this:
big company has bank money so they can make good games
smal company do not have enough ESG practices and therefore no financing

make big companies take full control of the industry and try to destroy any competition, set a new model of gaming like you just said and voilà... everytrhing you love is destroeyd
>>
>>1269748
THIS

fix the economy and things would get back to normal but """big tech""" won't allow it
>>
>>1269748
This, but also video game culture in general has changed way too much to ever recreate the feeling old multiplayer games (especially MMOs) had.

There's no mystery anymore, the second a game, patch, update, content comes out, it's datamined, analyzed, the numbers are crunched by mega autists and everything is curated into a series of videos, wikis, spreadsheets, guides, that make sure a good majority of players don't do anything but follow the most painstakingly optimal and efficient build, path, options, playstyle someone else laid out for them.

People have been mentally geared to feel like they are enjoying a game less if they are not working 24/7 towards some greater grind or goal and if they are doing it in subpar ways.

In addition to this, the way people play multiplayer games has drastically changed, you used to be able to make tons of friends in random MMOs, shooters, you name it, just by going up to people, talking to them ingame, asking them if they want to do something. Nowadays most people think you're weird for doing so, most people are either playing the MMO solo or on a discord call with irl friends.

Something like Ultima Online can just flat out not happen again in today's gaming culture. People were just too naive back then to do anything other than enjoy the game for the sake of the game because they didn't know anything else. I remember how much shit I'd learn just talking to people, people would teach new players mechanics, show them around the world, lots of hearsay, secrets, and bullshit, now people watch 10 hours of videos and read a 5000 page guide before even starting the game.
>>
File: Crystocrene Titan.jpg (171 KB, 1350x1080)
171 KB
171 KB JPG
>>1267855
I know the feeling. I stopped playing Destiny because it literally turned into a fucking 9-5. I can't even go back because the only way to hit max light would be to grind for a literal week and then find 8 different LFGs to run raids and dungeons with.
>>
>>1267855
you are jaded, that's all. Games like diablo 2, wow, gta, runescape, are all old as shit and are massive time sinks
>>
File: boardgamearena-logo.jpg (71 KB, 1400x616)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>>1267855
Take the Board Game Pill, anon. Board Game Arena, Tabletop Simulator, and even individual digital versions, are a great way to play games. You have all the benefits of modern gaming (automatic matchmaking, stable servers, etc.) without any of the bullshit. You don't get to be intrinsically better at Scythe just because you spent 500 hours grinding in-game currency, and no one starts with extra resources in Terraforming Mars because they bought the super special edition. If you take a month off of playing Settlers of Catan, it's not like you've missed a month of drops and items that you need to catch up.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.