[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1714104570286.jpg (656 KB, 898x1596)
656 KB
656 KB JPG
Hi, Texan here who's never been to the Northeast. How long should I budget for a trip to Boston?
So far, idea is to
1. Fly in on Friday evening and rent a car - sleep in Concord.
2. Saturday drive to White Mountain National Forest and hike around - sleep in Augusta. Should I do Green Mountain and drive to Montpelier instead before driving to Augusta?
3. Sunday drive along the Maine coast to Bangor and back to Boston - sleep in Boston Sunday night. What's there to see on the Maine coast? I only know about the lobster rolls but IDK if summer is their season
4. Monday drive to Cape Cod (again, any specifics to check out?) and take the ferry to Martha's Vineyard, bike around since it'll probably be super pleasant. Drive back and return the car on Monday night - again, sleep in Boston Monday night.
5. Explore Boston and Cambridge Tuesday and Wednesday all day - again, any specifics I should check out?
6. Fly back on Thursday morning.

Would appreciate any pointers whether this is even a feasible trip plan because I have zero frame of reference on distances in the Northeast.
>>
>>2650652

I live in the area. Way too much driving. I can't stand people who plan trips where they spend 2/3 of every day traveling, and spend each night in a different place, have to get up at the crack of dawn each morning to get to the attraction since your schedule is fucked, and never have enough time to enjoy things. slow the fuck down. all of those drives are like 2 hour drives and you wanna do one each day? bruh
>>
>>2650652
This is a retarded amount of driving especially if you're planning on coming over the summer or fall when traffic will be terrible everywhere. If you have less than a week take a few days to check out Boston then pick one direction and take a few days either on the Cape, up in the Whites, or in Maine.
>>
>>2650652
Do 2-3 days in Boston, 2-3 days Maine. I'd lean toward more time in Maine unless you're really a city person but if you're texan I doubt it
>>
>>2650696
It takes 2 hours to go from one side of my city to another in rush hour lol
>>2650904
Ok, let's say I choose Maine. How does this sound?

Friday evening fly into Boston, drive to Portland and check out the old town if we have energy otherwise sleep
Saturday, drive I-295/US-1 to Bar Harbor/Acadia, drive back after sunset to Portland
Sunday, drive to downtown and rent a bike to explore Portland Old Port + Light House + Peaks Island. Eat dinner @ Portland and drive to Boston to return car
Monday, Freedom Trail
Tuesday, Cambridge
Wednesday, whatever is left maybe Beacon Hill or Harbor Island ferry and generally just catch city vibes
Thursday, leave
>>
>>2651007
Getting better but that's too much for Maine. You can definitely do two full days in Portland but if for whatever reason you still want a day trip from Portland drive up Rte 1 to Wiscasset then down to Boothbay. You can add in Freeport, Harpswell, and/or Popham Beach in between if you need more to do.
>>
>>2651033
We're a hiking family and wanted to see Acadia at least once in our lifetimes for clawing all the way up to New England - the idea is that Acadia would be all of Saturday and Portland would be all of Sunday. Is that really that unfeasible? I'm seeing no more than 2 hrs of driving on Friday night (taking tolls) 7 hrs round trip on Saturday (which would be before dawn/after sunset so not too bad), 2 hrs driving back to Boston on Sunday, and that's it for non-fun activities (although we also want the drive to be part of the experience, something about a 65 degree summer just sounds fascinating).
>>
>>2651033
also recommend those rt 1 places. traffic is fucked through wiscasset though. coastal maine botanical gardens opens next week
>>
>>2651060
What's there to do in Wiscasset other than the Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens? If I wanted to see flat flowerscapes, I can visit the Dallas arboretum which is probably grander. I want to see mountains and cool small towns
>>
>>2651040
I know what you're seeing on Google maps right now but you're seriously underestimating traffic in New England in the summer and fall. I dunno, I've just never heard of someone doing a day trip to Acadia. A long weekend, maybe. 4 nights to a week is more common.

If you're a hiking family and want to see Acadia why not just fly right into Bar Harbor or Portland and focus on Maine? New England is small and you're coming from pretty far away, I get it, but people go to Maine for weeks at a time in order to see what the state has to offer. Massachusetts could be a whole other trip with how much there is there.
>>
>>2651109
Boston is nonnegotiable because we're visiting my brother up there this July - he's only open over the weekend hence the out of town trip over the weekend followed up by the family exploring Boston in the week
>>
>>2650652
You might do better flying into MHT, often cheaper fares and that puts you 20 mins from Concord. And much less busy, short lines at security.
There's not much to see in Concord other than the capitol building, that is worth checking out.
I would go up to the white mountains on day 2. See the flume gorge, the basin, those are cool, short hikes. Then go up towards Berlin/Gorham and take route 2 into Maine.
On the way back stop in Freeport, check out the outlet stores, then on to Boston. I avoid Boston like the plague so I don't know what to do there but there must be something, Fanuiel hall or whatever.
>>
>>2651326
Also drive up Mount Washington if you can. It's pretty cool as you go from lush vegetation at the base up past the tree line into alpine climate and see everything in between. Or take the train up, but I would prefer driving it so you can set your own schedule. It's not a hard drive, I've done it in a Ford Taurus.
>>
>>2651098
Wiscasset doesn't have all that much, a couple restaurants and some cute shops. But it's on the way to Boothbay, and you'll be stuck in traffic anyway. Plenty of stuff in/near Boothbay
>>
File: 171377432088890706.jpg (17 KB, 200x200)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>2650652
i am from boston and lived there 18 years soooooo my advice is WICKED GOOD
skip new hampshire unless you see mt washington. if u drive through maine its all pretty but go to acadia.
GO TO MARTHAS VINEYARD NOT THE CAPE
lake champlain kinda pretty
skip chinatown in boston, all of salem st and hanover st r great food. atlantic fish co is rly good. uhmmmmmm HOUSE OF SIAM is delicious. little big diner is rly good (in newton)
if u go to maine visit skydive new england and see if u can jump (i got my license there its super fun) ....... see salem witch museum.
idk take a pic at harvard business school for ur linkedin. drop a discord and ill add + call u if u want.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.