[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 8192 KB.
  • Images greater than 10000x10000 pixels are not allowed.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

Going to travel there in July with my parents and brother for my pa's 60th birthday. Any recommendations?
>>
File: file.png (3.07 MB, 1583x1187)
3.07 MB
3.07 MB PNG
>>2650212
I just got back from 2 days in Vienna and 2 days in Bad Ischl, this is what Hallstatt looked like on the 22nd
honestly it bored me out of my mind, there's almost nothing to do and the weather was shit. I spent all the time taking photos for my gf
Gmunden, which we also went to, was equally boring

I would say don't expect to do anything fun culturally if you're in upper Austria
vienna is much better for that
>>
You fell for the meme. Go to St Wolfgang im Salzkammergut instead and take the cog wheel train up the mountain. You'll all be much happier. I enjoyed Vienna, but 2 days is as much time as I'd recommend there. There's one gorgeous area of the city and a few great palace museums, but the rest of the city is just a city. For early summer, I'd skip Vienna and do Salzburg instead.
>>
>>2650285
>Go to St Wolfgang
I wanted to go here for the second day but my gf was feeling unwell, and she gets very easily carsick, so we took the train to boring Gmunden instead. there are only buses going to St Wolfgang and St Gilgen
she had vomited in a bin on the vienna metro 2 days before so I wasn't willing to take any chances
>>
>>2650287
>she had vomited in a bin on the vienna metro 2 days before
She sounds like a catch
>>
>>2650212

Vienna is alright but the alps are the best part of Austria. Your dad is in good enough shape to hike? Go to Salzkammergut or Tirol and go check out some alms and eat traditional alpine food and drink beer in truly picturesque landscapes.

If he isn't very mobile, even just driving through the alps is amazing. Try the Großglockner Hochalpenstraße
>>
>>2650525
>>2650233
The fact he didn't mention it was packed with Chinese people would in fact mean he himself is Chinese. Hence his gf having a weak stomach and car sick. Also being bored surrounded mountains? yeah, that's a you problem.
>>
Is Austria expensive?I have a feeling it is and won't bother if so.
>>
>>2650654
she is Chinese but I am not
also it's mainly Koreans
>>
>>2650532
+1 for driving through the Alps and checking out villages.

>>2650690
It's definitely more expensive than Slovenia or Czech, but not as bad as Switzerland. You get really spoiled drinking giant beers in Czech for less than 2 euros. It doesn't taste as good when they cost 3 times as much in Austria or 5 times as much in Swiss.
>>
>>2650525
She is a catch, people Vomit kn the streets every day, I've yet to see any Vomit in a bit, Bins aren't everywhere and she managed to keep the awareness while being on the verge of throwing up to seek one out, as not to be a disgusting piece of shit like everyone's else. Anakn has a good Chinese nu ren.
>>
>>2650233
>>2650285
imagine being bored in Vienna after two days. kek. Smells like generic Chinese tourists. If all you do is see the sights and take pictures, you might as well not go. Just 3d view google maps that shit. Even if you don't like the city there's plenty to do. Even though my question would be why to go on a city trip in the first place. Let me put it this way. If you don't like Vienna you can hardskip most of Europe. Vienna is easily the best city in central Europe.
>>
>>2651402
I was not bored in Vienna, moron, read my post again - I'm referring to Hallstatt
I got bored because the weather was shit in Salzkammergut and there's not much to do
>>
White people with chinese gfs embarras everyone.
>>
File: IMG_9086.jpg (284 KB, 1300x848)
284 KB
284 KB JPG
>>2650233
Hallstatt is such a (Chinese) tourist trap. The salt mines can be quite interesting but thats about it

However, the region (Salzkammergut) itself with its many lakes is really beautiful and very nice spot to go hiking
>>
>>2651402
It's 3 times as expensive in Vienna as it is in Prague or Budapest. You get really spoiled drinking 1 euro beers in Prague only to show up in Vienna and pay California prices for going out to a bar at night. The restaurants all only serve two things: chicken that has been smashed with a hammer and deep fried in corn flakes, and pork sausage. The main part of town is very pretty and clean, but you can walk it in an afternoon. The two things that Vienna has are the opera, and a bunch of museums. I hate opera and I don't think most people go on vacation to walk around and look at paintings for 2 weeks. You can't swim in the river because it's too dirty. The weather sucks for 8 months of the year. It's flat, unlike a lot of Austria that is mountainous and beautiful. The people are stuffy and uptight like the Germans. I'll take Prague any day over Vienna.
>>
I want to go camping this summer (bike tour along the Inn river), I messaged Campingplatz 2 weeks ago and still no answers? are they still not open?
also do you know a website for booking Campingplatz?
>>
>>2651402
>If all you do is see the sights and take pictures, you might as well not go.
What do you do then? I always feel a bit lost when traveling, unsure about what to do and if what I'm planning to is worth the time
>>
>>2651892
based
>>
>>2655121
Go on hikes, kayak, snowboard, find cool bars, eat good food, explore nearby towns, shop for clothes and souvenirs, swim, cliff jump, go to wineries, make friends, take tours, go to museums, take photos, get on tinder and hookup with local chicks.
>>
Personally, if I was going all the way to Australia I's want to stay more than 4 nights.
>>
>>2650233
OP here, would you recommend we rent a car for 1-2 days or just rely on public transport?
>>
>>2655751
in Vienna public transport is great and there is no need for a car
in upper austria there is the train and bus network which is very extensive and not that pricey
most people do rent cars but I didn't and had no trouble
I will add that parking seems to be nightmarishly expensive and inconvenient
>>
>>2655751
>>2656126
Austrian public transport is god-tier.
Literally can turn on gps, press 'go' on the app, then 'stop' when you've arrived. It'll just bill you the next day for the cheapest possible combination you could've taken on bus, train, metro, etc.

Trains have sections for kids to play, business meeting rooms, decent restaurants, places for bikes, etc. It's like the people who've developed the network actually take a huge amount of pride in it.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.