[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

> Do not go anywhere in Latin America without pictures of your family, and when family is brought up (which it will be almost immediately in the conversation), use it as an opportunity to bring out the photographs.

Do you bring family photos with you on your travels? I would be beyond uncomfortable with this.
>>
>>2644155
>Do you bring family photos with you on your travels?
No, because I keep those in albums. I've never heard of people carrying family photos, except for parents carrying photos of just their kids.
>>
>>2644157
This was from a book on Latin American etiquette published in 2002, mostly directed at business travelers (Global Etiquette Guide to Mexico and Latin America). Lots of business card related advice. It kept repeating that line for each country, though, which makes me wonder if there's some validity to it.
>>
File: 20220113_143009.jpg (1.75 MB, 2560x1440)
1.75 MB
1.75 MB JPG
>>2644155
Since then, Latinos have become accustomed to gringos being estranged from their family, or simply not in contact with them.
Some cartel enforcers in municipal police uniforms wanted to know who I knew, went through my phone, but realized I was as lonely as I looked and then demanded 20 dollars. I didn't pay and they left. I found the perfect little campsite hidden from the road and overlooking the valley below. Then they passed me while I was leaving the campsite two days later, flashed their headlights and waved. That was because I ordered lunch at a restaurant in their town center, after hiking into a neat little slot canyon in an arroyo outside of town. Still, my sudden reappearance must've mystified them.
>>
>>2644155
>Do not go anywhere in Latin America without pictures of your family
If you're interested in mingling with the locals this is a must.
>>
>>2644155
>>2644157
>>2644158
It's a third worlder thing.
Us North Americans are individualists so talking about your family with strangers is completely bizarre.
The worst is when THEY pull out the family pictures to elicit sympathy then demand money/letting them skip in line, etc.
>>
>>2644155

It's not just family photos. THey also want to see your baby pictures, pictures of you growing up and all that. It's almost like they don't think you're a real person until you've proven that you had some kind of existence prior to meeting them.
>>
>>2644306
why wouldn't you pay the narcos $20. that sounds insane. what was the logic? wouldnt you fear they'd return? you were all alone in desert.
>>
>>2645178

Because real narcos don't do $20 shake downs.
>>
>>2645197
>cartel enforcers in municipal police uniforms
so the real police should be feared more than fake police?
>>
>>2644155

been all over LATAM this is a bad idea on so many levels i dont even know where to begin so I'll just say any spic who asks you for pics esp one that speaks English is looking to rob or scam your gringo ass.
>>
I love learning new things about my country on 4channel
>>
people shitting their pants on this thread is hilarious
just visited a narco graveyard in sinaloa last month, talked to some guards, chill niggas
If someone approaches you trying to scam you just tell them to fuck off nobody is going to gut you in broad daylight
>>
>>2645361
Great advice, also if a cop pulls you over and wants some cash spit on their face to assert dominance and just drive away, they're not going to do anything in broad daylight
>>
>>2645178
This why not cradle their balls and bark like a dog while you're at it
>>
Damn, this board really is dead.
>>
>>2644155
No, I know they will use them for ransom.

t. latin american.
>>
>>2645223
>>2646323
To add to these brilliant insights, make sure never to allow a Latin American to see your money or credit card, as they will then rob you. You must obtain food and drink by importing it to your AirBnB directly. Do not wear shoes valued at over $5 outside your hotel room as this is pretty much an invitation to beheading and rape, in that order. Wear blackface at all times to avoid racial animosity: you must be black from head to toe. Shoe polish works well for this. To avoid revealing your lack of Spanish fluency, pretend to be mentally retarded and respond entirely in grunts, rather than in bad Spanish. Keep a bread knife in your waistband at all times to defend your t-shirt from cannibals.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.