[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: dfg.png (591 KB, 512x768)
591 KB
591 KB PNG
Is traveling by train the most horrible experience ever, /trv/?

>everybody is loud
>schedules suck
>warm asf
>expensive
>have to wait for freight trains
>>
>>2643099
not so bad im my experience
>>
>>2643099
Depends on the train and country. In my experience the trains in Russia and China were very comfy. I took the ones in Korea but they were all short distance (still good though). Does Japan have sleeper train service?
>>
>>2643099
Where the fuck are you traveling? I went to and around almost every eastern european country by train. I had three bad experiences. Two occasions of loud people, one where another train crashed into a vehicle and my train stopped at the crash to pick people up.
Best train I had was poland > czechia > austria > hungary.
Not exactly my worst /trv/ experience but once when waiting for a bus from poland > lithuania, some hooligans got into a fight after a game and killed a guy at my train stop so it got swarmed with police.
>>
>>2643114
I thought eastern Europe was safe...
>>
>>2643118
In my travels through eastern Europe I never got attacked. I've had homeless drunks hassle me. Once a homeless gypsy threatened to stab me and followed me in a train station until the police took him away. As long as you avoid obviously drunk/shitty looking people and you're not a woman it's very safe.
>>
>>2643099
It's nice in Switzerland.
>>
>>2643099
Just depends on the train and location.

I've taken more trains in India than anywhere else. Even there, the experience varies with the type of train and your category of travel. 1AC and 2AC on higher-priority trains--like the Rajdhani Express and Shatabdi--tend to be reasonably comfortable, although 2AC on many routes is no longer quite as comfortable or quiet as it once was.

Lower tiers of travel--3AC, sleeper, and so forth--can be reasonably pleasant, hectic but fun, or horrid clusterfuckers, depending on your luck and other factors (time of year, route, and so forth). NGL, I typically like traveling by train in India--it's slow, easy to talk to other people if you feel up for it, and the scenery in many parts of the country can be very pretty.

I live in the U.S. and don't take trains very often, even though I live along one of the highest-volume rail corridors in the country. Even with more frequent trains, it's usually more expensive to take the train that it is either to fly or drive.
>>
I was on a train in Poland and the hottest goth girl sat her fat ass down on my bag. Too bad I had to throw out said bag because of bedbugs from the hostel I stayed out
>>
The trains in Switzerland are amazing. Most of the cars were less than half full when I did Zermatt last winter.

The high speed trains in Italy are nice because the poor people take the slow trains. They rarely fill more than halfway either during the week. They were also super convenient and central in Bologna, Florence, Verona and Venice. You do have to watch for pickpockets around the ticket stations though.
>>
>>2643099
I liked it.
>>
Based amerilard
>>
>>2643106
Took a KTX train in Korea

the blinds are shared across rows and the guy in front with the control over it decided to close the blinds to block the nonexistent sun (from all the pollution) to get some rest, so I could not stare out of the window

A K-salaryman got on and sat next to me, smelt like he shit himself (he went to the toilet 3 times in less than an hour) and when he was there kept elbowing me way past the arm rest while using his laptop

the Chinese tourists a few rows back spoke loudly the whole trip

this country is not like Japan
>>
Thai local trains are primitive, but I enjoyed taking them. It felt like one of the Real Travelerâ„¢ experiences...sitting silent and stone-faced with the Thais in the midday heat, stopping at every village along the way, getting hit in the face by hot ashy wind from trackside brushfires, winding through the desolate leafless hills of the north. Train travel is so much more dignified than bus travel. Traffic stops to let you pass. Arrival and departure of the train is a solemn ritual at every station.
Gonna fly in to SFO from Taipei in two weeks, crash out in a fourth-grade teacher's spare room, then ride the Amtrak to Denver. Paypig $151 for a suite downtown, then head up into the mountains to retrieve my minivan and hit the road. A mattress, a campstove and four bald tires.
>>
>everybody is loud
>schedules suck
>warm asf
>expensive
>have to wait for freight trains
these only apply to america and other third world shitholes, but actually even in places like india and bangladesh they probably have more dedicated passenger lines than most of the US
>>
>>2643099
Just ride first class. It's not that expensive really
The worst (European) train ride I've experienced was second class from Milan to Bern in Switzerland. Crowded with brown people and standing room only. Felt like Bangladesh
>>
Average french 18-26's POV

>79€/month subscription to take almost any train you want
>if living in Paris you can go everywhere you want
>once in a while there are loud (blacks) people
>schedules is ok since subscription permits flexible picking
>SNCF trains are warm in winter and chill in summer
>sits are okay, best place to chill is at the overpriced wagon-restaurant

I think I took a hundred trains thanks to that program.
I'll miss this stuff once I'll turn 27...
>>
>>2643099
>Is traveling by train the most horrible experience ever, /trv/?
try a flixbus then
>>
>>2643099
You deserve it for posting ai slop
Anyway pick better trains and/or a better country to visit, problem solved

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.