[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1505937115803.png (80 KB, 560x407)
80 KB
80 KB PNG
Are there any ACTUALLY good places to learn languages online?
>>
talk to a char.ai and tell it to speak the foreign language with you
>>
>>2636407
Tandem
>>
>>2636407
ChatGPT used to be amazing Used to be is the magic word. It's rather shit now.
>>
>>2636407
I think a good way is to make Anki flashcards for all useful nouns and verbs. Then make flashcards for common sentences you might need. It's amazing how quickly one can memorize many small bits of info with Anki
>>
>>2636407
This was already answered if you look at the board and its archives dude. This is off topic and more for >>>/adv/
>>
>>2636407
Here is the redpill on learning languages from someone who speaks five of them
There are no full-on, all-in-one comprehensive language learning suites. You need to have a whole flurry of ways to learn it in order to learn it. You get a good textbook (/int/ wiki has a good language guide for most languages), follow up with some rosetta stones, and either try to interact with people speaking that language / watch various media from which that language is spoken casually (news, movies, podcasts), and if need be, use flashcard managers such as anki. Rosetta stone, classes online or other paid solutions can help but the core of it can be obtained completely free.

Frenchies, Spaniards and half of Europe can't speak english for shit but Dutch are the best non-native english speakers, even though all of them have high-volume english classes since elementary school. Why ? Because all the english movies aren't dubbed and only subbed in the netherlands.
>>
I /djt/fagged for years and couldn't form a sentence despite being able to read most things I tried to. I needed to take a college class where I was put in a room with 10 other idiots and forced to talk at gunpoint. You can do everything online, but I do recommend considering a zoom class or something, just to get some output.
>>
File: 1674406949260816.png (107 KB, 307x307)
107 KB
107 KB PNG
>install language exchange app because I want to learn decent japanese before I go to japan
>use my face as profile pic
>get messages from 5 - 10 new japanese girls every day, I get overwhelmed with messages to the point where it's hard to reply to all of them
>i've never dm'd any of them, they always message first
>a lot of them say I'm cute/handsome

will I slay if I go to japan? I've never had a gf or been approached or flirted with by any women in my home country so I always thought I was unattractive, but maybe the 200+ japanese women in my dms suggests otherwise
>>
>>2636407
Yes. If you want to be able to read the language then you need to practice translating it. If you want to write the language then you need practice writing it. If you want to speak the language then you need to practice speaking it.

Whatever you do don't go down the "What's the best way to learn a foreign language?" rabbit hole online. (like what you're doing now)

People seriously overcomplicate things way too fucking much. There's no secret trick, you learn by doing. People do the same thing with programming. "Hey, how do I learn to code?" By booting up your code editor and building projects.
>>
>>2638000
You’ll probably do better over there as a novelty. What app is this
>>
>>2637997
I you want to learn Japanese, the first thing you have to do is read https://tatsumoto.neocities.org/
This is the most important djt rule.
>>
>>2636407
Italki is not bad resource but prices are jacked up on it now from a lot of teachers. Memrise also used to be good but the new update gutted the entire thing
>>
>>2636407
Clozemaster and duolingo for Romance and Nordic languages
Any other Indo-European language - take a class to keep up with grammar (cases), then Clozemaster for vocab
Renshuu, Anki, etc for Japanese (also Anki for Chinese)
Ask Koreaboos for Korean
Maybe Duolingo for Indonesian or Swahili? They're easier than most other non-western ones
Everything else, good luck, you'll probably need classes for grammar plus a vocab method
>>
Don't bother learning languages, just go wherever you want and speak English. If they don't understand, just speak English louder and slower.
>>
>>2641942
So the mutt way? Everyone in Australia learns how to speak the language before going.
>>
>>2636415
Don't bother with this unless you're already conversational in your target language, the ai makes tons of mistakes trying to translate to and from languages
>>
Find beginners resources on youtube, internet, and ask chatgpt to teach you. The latter is amazing for languages with few resources, it finds information for you. The translation works like a translator so you don't have to use it for that however you can ask for several translations at once and it will reply with them together. I go on there and I ask things like

>give me a list of vocabulary related to nature / fruits / school in ____ language with translations to English
>give me an example sentence using each word
>give me the same list in plural / genitive case
>give me Japanese words with kanji and romaji
>write a short text about robots in B2 level Russian
>teach me Turkish grammar and give an example for each point

etc
>>
>>2641995
>Everyone in Australia learns how to speak the language before going.
I have never met a bilingual Australian lol
>>
>>2638068
There are a few, I mostly use Interpals though
>>
>>2641473
Seconding clozemaster, it's so much more useful than learning vocab in a vacuum. Reading full sentences familiarizes you with structure and conjugation while any vocab you don't know can be figured out through context.
>>
Yeah, Library Genesis and Interpals.
>>
Some guy on /t/ maintains language learning resource torrents, they all have good stuff. I'd recommend pirating an audio course like pimsleur or Michel Thomas and using Anki for vocab flashcards to start. You also could pay for an audio course and pay for memrise/clozemaster for vocab.
Once you have a basic grasp of a language/finish the audio course, continue to study vocab and consume some sort of content with it, whether it's reading, watching TV or YouTube, or listening to music. I wouldn't recommend taking real classes, hellotalk/interpals or studying a grammar book until you are conversational in the language.

>>2643089
Clozemaster is low key a scam. They use an open source translation database, and generating the same cards for Anki is very easy, requiring only the most basic code monkey skills. There's no way it's worth the monthly price they charge unless you really like how they gamify it. Part of it too is people probably don't know about Anki having cloze cards. I also think cloze cards are better than normal flash cards for language learning.
https://sookocheff.com/post/language/bulk-generating-cloze-deletions-for-learning-a-language-with-anki/ this guy has premade cloze decks for Spanish German Italian and French, and showed his code for making it. If you have 0 code monkey skills and are currently using clozemaster, let me know and I'll make/upload a cloze deck sometime next week of the language you're learning to Anki's shared deck repository.
I've been thinking of making and uploading free anki decks with cloze cards for all of the languages clozemaster offers, as an expression of my disapproval.
>>
I think that Japanesefags are right about immersion method. Just use the internet to consume a lot of content and drill vocab with Anki.
>>
>>2638000
Sounds like you are white, Japanese are very racist seeing whites as the superior race.
>>
>>2638000
>Be me
>White, tall Englishman
>Do the same thing as anon here
>0 women reach out, the ones I reach out to give one word responses then ghost
Either anon is lying or I am a truecel
>>
>>2643080
Nobody uses interpals anymore. It's just bots and muzzies from Indonesia. There are no Japanese there.
>>
>>2638000
They’re bots, anon.

It’s the same as any other place. You’ll do fine if you’re not an autist.

If you’re a turbo-autist, you can’t rely on women approaching you and doing all the work (unless you’re in some place where the women aggressively target you because they want money like the Philippines) but it happens once in a while.
>>
Non-English speakers don't like it when you try to speak their language unless you're really fluent conversationally.

Use Duolingo for the basics without going overboard. And then use your phone when you're actually there if they're unable to switch over to English.
>>
>>2645843
Do you have an actual good profile picture? Are you in decent shape? Are you dressed nice?

Hate to break it to no women, regardless of what country they're from, are attracted to fat ugly neckbeards
>>
>>2645843
on hellotalk i get about 1 every day or 2 who message me but thats also bc i put my japanese as the native bar so they just chat to me in jap rather than in english
im rather average but am blonde blue eyed
>>
>>2636407
>Are there any ACTUALLY good places to learn languages online?
Yes.
Try https://tatsumoto.neocities.org/
>>
>>2646414
https://tatsumoto.neocities.org/blog/why-shouldnt-i-just-keep-using-an-app-instead
Duolingo is one of the worst tools for learning a foreign language to be honest.
>>
>>2636420
nobody responds because I'm autistic
>>
>>2636407
It is impossible to learn languages. Nobody has ever done it. It's all a scam to sell you courses and apps and shit. People either speak multiple languages from birth, or they only speak one their whole life.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.