[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1710798015293687.jpg (75 KB, 669x680)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
Do some games generate better stories than others?

I've had a lot of luck with Solo RPG oracles. Narrative dice, not so much.

I enjoyed FATE because the mechanics are centered around narrative instead of stats, but my players didn't really seem to "get" it. They kept trying to turn FATE into D&D because that was all they had played.

Basically they were completely unimaginative. Eventually, the game devolved into them just saying "I roll to hit" or "I cast a spell to attack."

I am facepalming and trying to get them to flavor their attacks more and describe things better, but it devolves into rolling dice just for the sake of rolling.

The story ended up being pretty boring despite the "narrative oriented" style of FATE. Maybe it's me, maybe I need new players, but I am trying to find ways to improve the narrative of the game.
>>
For some reason, every time I try to use FATE for any kind of game, it becomes really boring too fast. I think it's because technically, in Fate, you're just doing the same thing over and over again.
>>
I've played FATE twice, both with the same DM but with different players and settings.
It turned out creative and fun both times, DM even said that he had tried one of the concepts (one shot) with a different group and the result had been completely different: both involves murdering some CEO, apparently in the other group they interacted a lot with her, while in our group the plan pretty much ended in her jumping to her death as soon as we first met her.
>>
>>92741075
>Basically they were completely unimaginative. Eventually, the game devolved into them just saying "I roll to hit" or "I cast a spell to attack."
because that's what works reliably
games that boil down to "convince the gm that what you want to do should work" suck to play
>>
>>92741075
From my years of various tabletops of various levels of fun, I find that it's not about the system, it's about the party and how they are able to interact, both with each other and with the things being presented by the DM even if they're total dreck. A group that can play off each other and aren't afraid to let their character outlooks evolve will elevate most situations.
>>
File: 1714392568340858.jpg (47 KB, 399x399)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>92743428
Isn't that basically everything? What is the alternative?

I like rules lite games. It streamlines everything.
>>
>>92741075
>Do some games generate better stories than others?
I find narrative systems generate worse stories than others. That's just my taste though, it feels like I'm being given bad writing prompts which I would be better off without.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.