[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

It came up in conversation between me, and the boys. The story of this GM who ran Care Bears the staring, and slowly revealed that it was all just an LSD trip, and they were really in the Vietnam war. I tried to find the actual greetext, but google was no help. So I'm asking here.

Also greentext thread or something I guess.
>>
>>92733042
I know exactly of what you speak but I don't have it to hand.
I do remember something about stools too.
>>
Fuck it I'll post a story of my own and see what happens:
>Be me
>Stuck with online games because a lot of Old Group has moved away
>Still gaming with Old Group at least which is good
>Got fed up with having to run 5E for them years ago so we've been bouncing around various terrible homebrews.
>Realize after a while that I've been re-inventing some OSR principles by accident (Dungeon-focused hexcrawls with lots of random encounters and lower power level)
>Decide to lean into it
>Players are exploring a swamp, investigating a dungeon (it's a castle that sunk until only the top of a tower was visible)
>Roll on some tables, the dungeon is determined to have goblins
>For context, I've been ripping the OSE tables to fill gaps in my homebrew
>Decide it's a goblin lair on the third level, so I roll for population since I haven't done randomized lairs yet and that seems cool
>38 goblins
>Players collectively have less than 30 HP
>It'll be fine
>Exploration happens, traps are avoided, torches are counted, maps are drawn
>Players reach some Goblin scouts
>On sighting them the scouts activate a log-swing trap and run towards another room. Lead Player is wearing armour which tanks the blow (Armour in this system reduces damage)
>Players run after, attempt to parley despite none of them speaking Goblin
>They burst into the main living quarters, where the scouts were far enough ahead to give advanced notice
>Players continue trying to parley, but they roll poorly and still do not speak goblin
>While this happens I describe how a party of armed goblins have broken off into a side tunnel, and after another couple turns of attempted parlaying (goblins at this point are just throwing rocks at players and laughing while they wait) how the players can hear footsteps somewhere behind them
>Players realize too late they're flanked and start booking it towards the exit.
>Lead Player says fuck it and wades into main Goblin horde, trusting in his armour
-cont.
>>
>>92733238
>Lead Player is effectively invulnerable to their knives and clubs
>Not to getting dogpiled and having his armour ripped off though
>Rest of party bowls over some of the flanking party and makes it to a shaft they descended on a rope. They hadn't bought enough rope to descend the whole way so it stops 10 feet above the muddy water at the bottom of the shaft.
>They did not consider that they might need to get back up in a hurry
>Three left alive
>One boosts another up to grab the rope while the third uses a fire spell to obliterate an approaching goblin
>Then he says, "I roll to intimidate"
>This guy has charisma specced, and I like the reaction table
>First turn of this, he howls and curses and waves his torch at the gathering swarm, they balk and do not advance
>Second turn, he continues while the rope-player helps pull the other one up
>Third turn, two goblins nervously creep up (rolled slow advance on reaction table) and take darting stabs at him, one hits
>Realizing his menace is fading and his teammates are clear the dude then about faces and rolls a bare climb check to scramble up the wall to where the rope ends
>He makes it while the others have already reached the top
>After resupplying and getting a new party member team hears that goblins wearing crudely resized armour have been terrorizing nearby hamlets
>Armour from the Lead Player who wanted to face the horde alone, out of stubbornness, or to save his friends, or to go out like a champion.
The really cool thing to me at least is that none of this was planned. It's like a whole new dimension of running games compared to the 3.5-stlye "Grand Save the World with the help of these 20th level NPCs" type adventures I was raised on.
It feels more real, and more exciting, and easier to run. I really like it and now that I'm getting more free time to run games again I want to run more like that.
>>
File: Gummi Bears RPG.pdf (6.99 MB, PDF)
6.99 MB
6.99 MB PDF
>>92733042
I always preferred the Gummi Bears.
>>
File: Carebear Setting.png (501 KB, 1870x2234)
501 KB
501 KB PNG
>>92733042
I gotchu. Have been meaning to run this legendary idea myself for years, just never got around to it
>>
>>92733238
>>92733293
I like this story.
>>
>>92733238
This is an awesome story. I love the human armor enabling a gang of goblins, too.
>>
>>92734699
How lovely.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZImgGi10iv0
>>
>>92733238
>>92733293
Its almost a shame my group aren't dumb enough to get into these situations. Good shit anon, I'm surprised they made it out
>>
>>92740447
The reaction rolls at the base of the shaft really saved their asses. In the future I might give a greater buff to numbers but at the same time that one player did put obscene levels of specialization into charisma so if they want to be good at that one thing sure.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.