[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Hassan-i-Sabbah.png (772 KB, 1200x675)
772 KB
772 KB PNG
Let's be clear about something.
All published RPGs are terrible. Over the decades, I have played dozens, if not hundreds of them, and they're all mediocre at best. Yes, that includes your favorites. Yes, that includes whatever ones you despise.

Their only purpose is to provide ideas for you to play around with. As a whole, they're worthless. A game with one good idea but 99 terrible ones is worth more than a game made up of 100 mediocre ideas, but both are mere stepping stones towards building your own systems.

Anyone who argues for or against a published game blasphemes. He hopes to trick you. To imagine that there is a system out there that will answer all your desires. He lies.
There is only one true game, and it exists within, not without. Search within yourself for it, and despise those who wage war over the sandy wastelands that are published games.
>>
>>92730124
Okay but DnD is shit, and I don't want to play your homebrew d20 schlock. If you really mean that you're open to all RPGs then I look forward to hearing which ideas you liked from among the ones you've played.
>>
>>92730124
I got a buddy like you. He's constantly tinkering away at some homebrew system. He changes his focus constantly. One month it's grimdark survival focused fantasy, the next it might be a game about biker dudes in Arizona and after that he's working on a game about playing in a touring band in the post-apocalypse. His games really only have two things in common:
1. They're always unfinished. Just a vague set of semi-related rules and setting ideas.
2. Every single one of them is pure diarrhea.
>>
>>92730124
>To imagine that there is a system out there that will answer all your desires
There is for me. Mutants & Masterminds, second edition. It has everything I want, and can be made to fit any setting or tone.
>>
>>92730124
The only people who say this are faggots who seethe that their friends don't want to play their homebrew system and setting.
>>
Am I so out of touch that I don't realise I just don't like playing RPGs?
No, it is the systems that are universally shit.

I love homebrewing, tinkering, modifying rules- and I am in fact currently running my own system. But that's because I enjoy it, because I want it that way, but to my players it doesn't really matter, and they'd benefit from me not changing the rules every 2 months. Bad systems are still good, there is no perfect system, not even within. You just have a terminal case of not being able to enjoy what you have.
>>
>>92730124
LARGE SPOON
>>
>>92730124
Show us the game you made yourself so we can laugh at it.
>>
>>92730124
Making a purposefully inflammatory thread to get (Yous) is the biggest sign of a Nogame. Otherwise you would have brought up alternatives and/or exceptions. Please go back to whatever discord hive you came from and stop shitting up the board.
>>
>>92730380
Man, I played that friend's homebrew, got really invested, then he put the game on indefinite hiatus to "rework" the system into a more polished form. 4 years later no progress and the old version had vast swathes of mechanics never publicly documented or even vaguely explained to the players, so NOBODY can play it now because far as we're concerned half of each character's powerset is made the fuck up with no mechanical carcass.
>>
>>92730124
>"I hate all games and so I don't play them"
At least you told us the truth up front
>>
File: 1714178415844730.jpg (1.91 MB, 1526x2156)
1.91 MB
1.91 MB JPG
>FGO """player""" comes down from spending 30,000 a year on gacha to tell us what is and isn't quality
And no, your homebrew battle tournament setting with big titted Leo Da Vincis doesn't qualify as quality. And I have sincere doubts you've truly "played it all".
>>
>>92730124
I agree. Though it's important to note that it's perfectly acceptable to steal and repurpose stuff from other RPGs to make your own. But overall you are correct. I say this as someone with experience in the industry. "Professional" game designers are just people and there's no sunshine coming out their ass.
>>
>>92730509
The only people who would be upset about the truth are liars and deceivers. I wonder which one are you.
>>
>>92730727
>"Professional" game designers are just people and there's no sunshine coming out their ass.

This. Worse still, they have no idea who you are, what you enjoy, or what your tastes are, so expecting them to be the ones to build the right system for you instead of building it yourself is laughable.
>>
>>92730365
This guy gets it. The only hurtle I've ever come across is telling my players that certain powers don't fit the story I have planned. Like 20 ranks of teleportation in a very small localized setting. That's a problem that quickly goes away with good players though and not a fault of the system.
>>
>>92731639
You’ve been outed. Shut the fuck up and go back to lurking, or baiting warhammer generals.
>>
>>92735954
>hurtle
Kek
>>
>>92730124
Oh shut the fuck up, pretentious retard anon.

It's a fucking game. Uno and Monopoly are terrible and stupid. But if I have fun playing them then they've done a good fucking job.

That's it. It's a game you play with friends. Any of them you have fun playing had good rules and content.
>>
>>92736369
>>
>>92730124
How do you manage to stick your head up your own ass AND suck yourself off at the same time while being wrong about absolutely everything you ever think say or do?
>>
>>92730124
My game isn't published and I've been running it every week for the last 3 years. Checkmate, OP. Now you have to dance to amuse me.
>>
>>92736386
You think a guy like this has friends?
>>
>>92730124
>Fate/GOoner
>utterly dogshit opinion
Why is this so common? Is it because fatefags and futafags have zero taste?
>>
>>92736662
>i agree with you, OP
Huh.
>>
>>92737177
OP is a faggot, but Sturgeon's Law does hold true. 90% of everything is shit. Not everything, like he insists because he's clearly a nogames faggot looking for (you)s, but most things are terrible. Of course there's no perfect game that has everything you could ever want. Nothing works that way. That's why you find the bits and pieces you like most and put them together into something that works best for you.
>>
>>92730124
> hundreds
I agree that there is no TTRPG you can truly call a quality game, but this thread is a bait.
>>
>>92730124
>Let's be clear about something.
>All RPGs are terrible
ftfy
>>
>>92730124
You're wrong.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.