[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: the_atrium_of_time (1).jpg (369 KB, 718x1000)
369 KB
369 KB JPG
>ancient/medieval fantasy setting
>actually takes place on a far future earth
Is there a more kino setting trope than this? I love it every time.
>>
File: cachedImage.jpg (687 KB, 1729x2048)
687 KB
687 KB JPG
>>92728975
Book of the new sun has that kind of vibe but it’s also hard to play out since you have to determine the tech where it all fell apart.
It would be lame if the “relic of ancient power” was just an m-4 with a red dot sight
>>
>>92728975
It's exceptionally good when you go in not already knowing the twist.

Where's the pic from, OP?
>>
I think it can be overdone.

I also think it works better if it's not earth, but a fantasy setting where the ancient empire you hear referenced was very technologically advanced.
>>
>>92728975
>Faggot OP on hobby boards
>Regurgitates stale pasta and bait all day long
Is there anything more annoying than spammers?
>>
>>92729001
Its an illustration from the Folio edition of Book of the New Sun
>>
>>92729009
You know you don't have to be asshurt 100% of the time when you browse this board right
>>
>>92728998
BOTNS does it the best since such a vast amount of time past that innumerable civilizations and tech levels have risen and fallen and lie buried in the earth
>>
Recommend me good supplementary material that does this. I can only think of the video games Age of Decadence and Torment: Tides of Numenera.
>>
>>92729120
I mean, the original Dying Earth occurs in this context. The beginning of A Canticle of Leibowitz does, too. Thundarr the Barbarian (though some of the tech still works). The Dark Tower (likewise, and it would be better if it didn't). If you want comedy answers, Korgoth of Barbaria (which is riffing on Thundarr).
>>
>>92729120
Numenera is basically the game for this type of setting. Although I haven’t played it so I wouldn’t know if it’s good
>>
>>92729120
The modules put out for ACKS imply highly advanced antediluvian societies, if not the planet being earth itself. There's also a Dying Earth DCC supplement.

Off the top of my head, Worlds without Number probably has the most explicit setting and worldbuilding/GMing tools with this trope.
>>
>>92729026
But I AM ass-hurt when I need to filter 80+ threads out of the catalog and this shit pops out right on the top
>>
>>92729451
If the vast majority of discussions on this board are so unbearable to you that you can't help but go on autistic screeds at the mere sight of them in the catalog, this probably isn't the place for you. Im sure there are plenty of other gaming forums on the internet that would be easier on your special brain.
>>
>>92728975
>Is there a more kino setting trope than this?
Yes:
>ancient/medieval fantasy setting
>actually takes place in another reality where this earth never was nor will be
>>
>>92729451
>"needing" to filter more than half the board
>still entering threads to complain about them
Maybe 4chan isn't the website for you.
>>
>>92729013

Thanks
>>
>>92729009
>>92729451
>can't handle genre blending
>assumes it's bait when other people like something he doesn't
sperg alert
>>
>>92730829
>>92732800
While I think this thread was a false positive, it is only three lines and is close enough to a totally shit thread that it the low effort OP with sorta vague prompt could trigger someone's spam thread alarms.

Also, where else would someone go for anonymous, mostly uncensored, discussion of their favorite topics? They probably have their heart in the right place, I often bemoan the quality of threads I see on several boards.

>>92728975
I really am enjoying old sword and sorcery media like Fire & Ice (Ralph Bakshi movie) and the Conan stories. I also am enjoying more primitive settings and the idea of a wizard or high tech individual going back in time also gives similar vibes to the far future stuff at least as far as the anachronistic mystery goes. I'm only just now reading stuff like that, such as the short story "The First American" by Schuyler Hernstrom.
>>
>>92728975
>Is there a more kino setting trope than this?
>1944 tech setting that just came out of medieval generic setting a few generations ago
>Is actually the far far future of earth with shit load of secret super lost tech
Gotta love the not classic indiana Jones finding the forerunners cripts before the not nazi
>>
>>92728975
I do lose the concept, but it's hard to do.
I remember this funny take on it:
https://projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/techlevel.php#inheritship4
>Tl;dr
>A planet civilization devolved back to medieval age
>There's still spaceship working, treated and piloted like holy relic
>>
>>92728998
>It would be lame if the “relic of ancient power” was just an m-4 with a red dot sight
How so? You'd be the greatest warrior ever if you had one of those in Medieval times.
>>
More images.
>>
>>92728998
This man died in battle.
>>
>>92729451
Your reliance on filters has made you weak.
>>
>>92728975
Apparently ASOIAF is one secretly. GRRM is a sci-fi writer and he's borrowed a lot of stuff from his sci-fi work but I doubt there'd be a big reveal that this a post apocalyptic world that used to be technologically advanced. BTW what happened to the ASOIAF threads. Did they get banned?
>>
>>92728975
Wait until this guy discovers Book of the New Sun
>>
>>92738469
How many bullets? A flintlock or other blackpowder type weapon would probably be more useful in a low tech setting.
>>
>>92738582
>>92728998
The hole and burn lines on the side of the head implies he shot himself. Though wonder why some cuban in a spacesuit killed himself.
>>
>>92743036
Take a case if you like, but you'd probably not need to actually use any more than maybe 30 to make your point. Don't forget, the enemy doesn't know how it works, they won't know you're bluffing.
>>
>>92742876
The book he's posting illustrations from?
>>
>>92746801
Life is cheap in medieval times, it only works until the enemy can afford to send 50 grunts to tank the invincible warrior. Or offer a huge bounty for you so some impoverished commoners stab you to death with pitchforks in the night.
>>
>>92746801
Unless you bring along 100k rounds you will run out. I don't know how smokeless powder is made, but I doubt you could create it without modern industrial methods. Blackpowder on the other hand is what? Some charcoal, fertilizer, and sulfur?
>>
>>92728975
One of my most memorable moments in media was in the video game Fable 3 where one of the Demon Doors leads to another planet.

https://fable.fandom.com/wiki/Planet_One
>>
File: after the end.jpg (580 KB, 1041x1600)
580 KB
580 KB JPG
>>92728975
I also like it when it plays on a lost colony though I do like the contrast between primitives and the remnants of far advanced civilization.
>>
>>92747432
>Life is cheap in medieval times
Not a king's life, it's not.
>>
>>92747527
Not really. The point is that you have displays of power against key figures, and then rarely have to actually repeat it, if ever again. Power is held by shared delusion.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.