[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_8157.jpg (761 KB, 2856x1904)
761 KB
761 KB JPG
Are they still a “good guy”? Are they still a good company?
>>
They were literally never a good company.
>>
>>92728804
Publicly traded companies cannot be the "good guy." The people who run them have a legally binding obligation to increase returns for shareholders. They have no other motive. No other objective. None.
>>
>>92728804
We almost killed them but you fags all went crawling back in 8th edition and now you wont even touch other games youll instead just 3d print an army and pirate the rules before you even bother touching infinity or battletech
>>
>>92728804
No and they never were.
>>
>>92728830
You say it as though all of the best competitors didn't prematurely commit suicide
>>
File: 1714660354954513m.jpg (134 KB, 851x1024)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
>>92728804
No
>>
>>92728830
>We almost killed them but you fags all went crawling back in 8th edition and now you wont even touch other games youll instead just 3d print an army and pirate the rules before you even bother touching infinity or battletech
>>
Can wargamer-spergs get their own board I'm so tired of this stupid shit.
>>
>>92729885
Personally I think there should be a separate containment board for storytime circlejerks. Or RPGs, as I believe the fags call them.
Please tell me anon, how is "X" dealt with in YOUR setting?
>>
>>92729950
>paypiggy GW shill hates RPGs
Wow, fascinating. Now, please go and buy more plastic junk.
>>
>>92729885
Warhammer spergs you mean. The boards other Wargame offerings are just minuscule
>>
>>92729685
>infinity
>battletech

neither of those are large army loose formation games. privateer press was the last real contender in that ring. everything else thats close to GW main game army size is trying to occupy the awful rank and flank rectangle simulator niche. conquest, kings of war, ASoIAF, etc, or banking on low entry cost skirmish shit people can dabble in without requiring the commitment of a mainline wargame like the various star wars, marvel, infinity, battletech, etc games which dont directly compete with GW but can eek out a meager existence alongside GWs boot instead of directly under it
>>
>>92729995
Battletech guys are even more fucking retarded.
>>
>>92728813
What about the time when they were just a couple of guys importing DnD stuff to UK?
>>
>>92730025
>guy who has only seen Boss Baby while watching his second film: "I don't know, this kinda gives Boss Baby vibes..."
>>
I was looking into warhammer last year and the insane prices turned me off forever. The lore is stupid as well. It's pretty uninspiring when you think about the decades they've had and millions and millions they've made. I literally have too much self respect to get raped in the ass by this company and call it a hobby. I can get fucked in the ass for free with grindr.
>>
>>92730289
Don't worry. Most 40k fans have never bought the models or read the books.
>>
>>92730289
>I literally have too much self respect to pay for my hobby
Big yikes, I but I guess poor people shouldn't have fun anyways, they should be working
>>
>>92730245
> spreading DnD
Yup. Never a good company
>>
File: 1584034494705.jpg (55 KB, 353x606)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>92729885
What do you think /tg/ was created for anon? As a containment board for warhammer wednesdays.
Take your faggoty power-fantasy roleplaying shit and fuck off.
>>
>>92729986
>Faggy elf role player is mad because he can only imagine whats going on on the table
Keep using paper and throwing nerf magic missiles
>>
>>92730317
Hmm, so NEETs are rich then?
>>
>>92729885
>>92729950
Girls, girls. We should unite against our common enemy.

Card gamers.
>>
They weren't a good company before but they are now. Their commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion is a breath of fresh air that this hobby desperately needs
>>
File: 1706815434407516.gif (3.1 MB, 450x262)
3.1 MB
3.1 MB GIF
>>92730402
>heh I spent thousands on this here collection of children's toys
>yep I love giving money to GW, and hell just any corporation, really
>fuck me I love consooooming!!!
>>
>>92730495
GW puts out a good product and objectively the best wargame rules in existence. They deserve my money. Seethe and cope
>>
>>92729986
Who said I buy GW's shit? There are other games and miniature ranges out there, anon. If you played an ACTUAL game you'd know this.
>>
>>92728804
They never were. Neither are most of the other nottingham based wargames companies. GW grew out of being an incompetently run small company ran by deranged, miserable cunts into being a generic corporate entity, the smaller companies in town are the same retarded shit GW was 20 years ago, to the point of now having the same insane, miserable, incompetent people who used to work for GW on staff.

Except for mantic, they're fine.
>>
>>92728830
I already bought into battletech. it's very autistic. and it's also apparently run by insufferable wokists and porch building con men. so I might not buy much more BT stuff when (if?) I finally get my mercenaries stuff
>>
>>92728830
Gaslands is fun. It's not very deep but it's fun. Its also cheap
>>
>>92730289
Literally too retarded to play Warhammer.
I started this year and I just buy big boxes off of ebay, take out a squad or two and sell the rest individually for the same amount I paid for the whole box.

I've got almost 2 1000 point armies and paid maybe like 100$ total, including paint and tools.
>>
>>92730505
their rules have always been awful, but when the whole thing was a piss take (up through 2e) it didn't matter so much. they've coasted on momentum and higher quality minis for 20+ years. their only serious competitor decided to shit the bed and double down on it, so gw pretty much has free rein with its army of paypigs.
>>
>>92730592
>the rules are bad because ... BECAUSE THEY JUST ARE OK?
>>
Went to shit as soon as they fired Andy C
>>
>>92730495
>money pinch all you can anon, play with paper and imagination, that will show them!
As I said, if you dont have enough money to have fun, you shouldn't be having fun in the first place
>>
>>92728804
>Are they still a “good guy”? Are they still a good company?
Has not been the case for a very long time.
>>
>>92730546
You sure do complain about this a lot, old man.
Go back to your hole, shit-for-brains boomer.
>>
>>92730505
>GW puts out a good product and objectively the best wargame rules in existence.
Okay, that got a laugh out from me. Have a (You)
>>
>>92728826
This. Jesus Christ OP, internalise this for your own safety.
>>
File: 1714429469618811.png (351 KB, 1080x1080)
351 KB
351 KB PNG
>>92728826
Not true, this isn't how almost any corporation is run, and the most powerful financial incentives come from banks and investors who have wholly ideological motivations, not what makes business sense in terms of increasing your bottom line and profitability.
>>
>>92730619
>I move entire army then you move entire army
>excessive rolling
>ludicrous RNG
>useless morale rules
>fliers, artillery, forts kept artificially useless because GW doesn't like them
>holding objectives with trash that can't fight
>every faction's rules and points change constantly and randomly, not aiming at real balance but change for the sake of it
>any army you build is trash soon as it's built

That's for starters.
>>
>>92728826
There is a difference between a company that prioritizes long term profits from creating a good reputation for making good products and a company that prioritizes short term profits by catering to the lowest common denominator and shitting out products left and right. Games Workshop is the latter and always has been.
>>
>>92731584
Name even a single publicly traded company that is the former.
>>
>>92731911
Intel, AMD, Ferrari, Nintendo, and Snap-on.
>>
>>92730687
Im glad this is the type of retard that supports things I hate, extremely vindicating. GW traded the layman wargamer for whale-sperg-babies who defend their every move.
>>
>>92732012
Incelcore processors are shit, Ferrari was owned by the ferrari family for most of its existence, and Nintendo is the worst company ever idk about snap-on but AMD is probably the only non-shit example you used, nigger
>>
>>92732012
>nintendo, intel, and a luxury car brand
>building up consumer good will
Holy fuck. Intel is nvidia of the cpu world and nintendo can't go two weeks without fucking over some fan project or trying tk destroy emulation.
Meanwhile AMD myopicly eats up the sloppy second gamer market that nvidia is starting to move on from.
The fuck are you on?
>>
>>92732097
Nice cope, but I accept your concession.
>>92732124
>Intel is nvidia of the cpu world
Is that why everyone uses their processors?
>nintendo can't go two weeks without fucking over some fan project
In order to maintain the image of their brand?
My point was about their products being good, not making people seethe about them controlling their IP.
You retards are brain broken from hating companies so much that you can't even have a conversation about them.
>>
>>92730576
Imagine just lying on the internet like this. Outrageous.
>>
File: IMG_5009.jpg (631 KB, 1170x1179)
631 KB
631 KB JPG
>>92728804
Yes they're the good guys. There is nothing wrong with them wanting to get paid. Warhammer is the only thing that gives most of our lives meaning so if they need a little more of my money so they can continue to give my life purpose, then I will give it to them gladly.
>>
>>92729685
>battletech and infinity
Cant think of a more boring settings. Infinity even deleted their coolest faction.
Also this>>92730025
If the setting doesnt have zerg/tyranids/aracnids then Im not interested. And lets be truthful, of those the tyranids are the coolest. There is just so much cool art imagery in 40k. The only thing that comes close is star wars and mass effect. Sadly star wars is held back by only having two factions. I have no idea why there isnt a cool war game for mass effect. Though ME might be a little too hard scifi.

>>92732181
Nah I bet he actually could do that.
>Buy box when market is flooded for cheap
>sit on it and sell it for more later recouping your cost.
>>
>>92732224
>Warhammer is the only thing that gives most of our lives meaning
*shivers*
>>
I mean, they're shitty to me because they made a game I like bad. They're not evil, it's not like they're killing employees or dumping toxic chemicals into the world, but they aren't going to Heaven.
>>
>>92732320
What companies will end up in corporate heaven?
>>
>>92732323
Maybe the Chik Fil-A guys, or the In-N-Out guys. They're Christian, treat their employees pretty well, and aren't inherently destructive. They sell the tools for destruction, but a knife-seller isn't responsible if one of their knives is used in a murder they weren't involved in.
>>
>>92728830
infinity sucks cock and BT is fun but very tisum heavy and not a replacement to the scale of 40k the reason its still around is no one has made a good replacement
>>
>>92728804
They haven't been a good guy in more than 30 years you cancerous zoomer and they've never really been a good company
>>
>>92730326
AD&D was good, fuck you if you disagree.
>>
>>92728830
Infinity is of no interest to anyone and battletech is now far gayer and more pozzed than GW, somehow you faggots never address this
>>
>>92728830
>infinity or battletech
If these are the only other options I'll take my obese female Darkoath and black female Bretonnian knights with bows all day fucking long
>>
>>92731911
Toyota
Honda
Volkswagen
Fiat
>>
>>92733120
Would also added Renault, but they practically killed NISMO, so into the trash with Detroit/British leyland frogs go
>>
>>92728830
>>92728830
The problem is tabletop gaming isn't popular enough to support so many games. I agree it would be healthier if Warhammer wasn't so dominant, but 40k is the only game you can reliably find opponents for no matter where you go.

I've played at non-GW stores in UK, US, and China (Guangzhou & Shenzhen) and each had people playing 40k. Can't say the same for other tabletop games unfortunately.
>>
>>92733308
The Chinese play 40k?
>>
>>92732224
Shut your slophole, paypig.
>>
>>92732280
>I have no idea why there isnt a cool war game for mass effect.
Series wasn't popular enough during ME 1, ME 2 was building momentum, ME 3 killed that momentum, andromeda killed the series, bioware is now barely staying afloat and doesn't have the resources to produce a war game. Also Mass Effect also has the Star Wars problem of essentially only have like 2 large scale factions.
>>
>>92733337
NTA but Shenzhen is fairly multicultural. As multicultural as you can get in China, anyway. Tons of westerners there.
>>
>>92728830
Give me an alternative then. I live in Vancouver, a city with a massive war gaming community. I drive between Vancouver,Blaine, and Seattle to play games and the only games I see played are GW games and occasionally a song of ice and fire. I’d love to play a different game but it seems like all other TTG companies are run by total retards who have no idea what marketing is.
>>
File: combat patrols.png (485 KB, 680x884)
485 KB
485 KB PNG
>>92732224
>next year pawns go up $5 and they halve the points, so a new player has to spend $100 on 8 pawns to get the same value
>the start collecting box is out of production, sold out at every LGS, and replaced with a combat patrol that only has 2 pawns, a bishop without the knight/rook upgrade sprue, and a monopose queen
It's all so tiresome
>>
>>92733454
>I live in Vancouver,
>Give me
Aks your prime-minister commie
>>
>>92728804
No, and they haven't been for over 30 years.

There was a tie, long ago, when they supported the entire gaming hobby. Minis, rpgs, their own and everyone else's. They strove to bring gamers together and make games better.

That died when they went public, when the founders lost control to the corporate parasites.
>>
>>92729885
.... /tg/ was founded specifically so /b/ didn't have to deal with Warhammer Wednesdays. This is the place for it. Whatever you're looking for on /tg/, if it's not this, you're in the wrong place.
>>
>>92728804
No and no.

I find it funny that people on twitter who bitch about capitalism are defending GW.
>>
>>92729685
PP was terribly mismanaged and there’s a lot of overstock left over that’s rotting in clearance.
>>
>>92729885
I’d rather have warhammer than dudes starting threads asking questions with pictures of their waifu attached.
>>
>>92730546
>insufferable wokists
>>92733076
>battletech is now far gayer and more pozzed than GW
It's funny how retards can say such retarded shit, but never back it up with examples.
>>
>>92733447
Makes sense, China is as close to a Daemon World as it gets.
>>
>>92728804
They haven't been since White Dwarf #90.
>>
File: JPEG image.jpg (17 KB, 672x628)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>92737573
There’s a lot of troons that like battletech. They (CGL) even have one running their twitter account that regularly blocks people and locks replies.
>>
>>92737532
They had a solid idea, but they completely botched it by trying to follow GW's lead, instead of doing different things that the community talked about wanting.

"Hey, wouldn't it be great if we start phasing out the named character syndrome and start focusing on creating our own units?"
>PP doubles down and tries to force everyone to buy more character units
"This setting is fun and fresh. And they're still writing it as they go, maybe we'll get to have some input on the direction."
>PP ignores player base and forces them to adapt to their private in-house storyline
"Hey, this RPG they made is pretty cool and technically compatible with the tabletop rules. Maybe we'll see customizable units in the next edition."
>PP Cuts down on what little customization they had and forces everyone to pick pre-built lists and units.

I swear, if I ever start my own company (and I'm half-finished on a flagship product for it) I'll never make those stupid mistakes.
>>
>>92737637
If you cannot present an actual example, you're a worthless subhuman shit and should kill yourself. It'll be the only moral thing you've ever done in life.
>>
File: IMG_9684.jpg (112 KB, 800x800)
112 KB
112 KB JPG
>>92737657
CGL loves troons.
>>
>>92737690
So your example is that CGL has a media manager who is ugly and wears clashing makeup. Got it. Kill yourself.
>>
>>92737746
did you forget to dilate this morning?
>>
>>92733523
You can play with just one pawn and replace the others with rooks.
>>
>>92728813
They were alright in the 90s
>>
>>92737776
You can only take 3 rooks, but you can take 6 groups of 4 pawns
>>
>>92728804
what caused you to even broach this question?
>>
>>92737821
There’s a new piece that lets you play with rooks and bishops as pawns. It’s in finecast and comes out with the new codex for white.
>>
>>92728830
>trannytech
dont care
>>
>>92737959
Battletech should’ve died when FASA went under.
>>
>>92728813
They were good when they were writing Fighting Fantasy gamebooks.
>>
>>92730540
mantic was founded and staffed by the insane, miserable, incompetent people from GW.
>>
>>92728813

They were okay through early third edition and vaguely tolerable until the end of 5th at which point the last people who had any idea what they were doing left, after that pure shitshow. Alan Bligh was the only holdout.

New CEO can make money-making decisions, but that's not a measure of product quality. Really, you can track the company's decline by the readability of white dwarf.
>>
>>92738223
It was this period they made white dwarf a weekly magazine and released warhammer visions. One of the most hilariously stupid decisions in their history
.second only to the failure to complete the spine artwork on white dwarf in the lead up to the release of 6th 40k
>>
>>92737644
The worst thing they did was dilute their own product line by mixing in all the hords crap. Xwing did something similar, pumping OP garbage ships into the game which really negatively affected the status quo for playing at game stores.
>>
>>92738785
Hordes was a bit of a hiccup in that they billed it as a second game when it should have been an expansion on the first. Everyone always wants more factions, that's universal. Every game, every setting, every player wants there to be more factions. No shame in that. Just about the only game that that doesn't apply to is Battletech since it already has 9 governments, 2 mega-corporations/cults, and twenty-one-and-three-halves factions of eugenically enhanced super-soldiers, plus a literally infinite number of mercenary companies to choose from.

Point being, they followed GW's lead of keeping their IPs separate and restricting play variety when the bulk of the customer base wanted the opposite.
>>
>>92732224
I wanted to make fun of you Anon, but I wont. Its just sad really. Take care man, there will be sun in your life again i promise you that
>>
>>92733337
Yes surprisingly quite a lot. In first tier cities (Beijing, Shanghai, Shenzhen, and Guangzhou) there's a few stores and clubs.

These are just Guangzhou:

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV12C411G7bp

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1VH4y1T7QZ
>>
>>92733454
Let's face it, like so many other similar posts on 4chan you don't actually want an alternative, you're a GW fan that's looking to excuse your normie tastes. Otherwise instead of feigning interest in being spoonfed, you'd do the legwork yourself. A few seconds of reading search engine results shows a historicals club with monthly meets, a couple of annual conventions, there's a BC wargaming Facebook group with a few thousand members.... that took less time to find than to type up this brief reply.
>>
>>92738189
Yes, but also less incompetent than the ones who founded warlord.
>>
>>92728830
>BattleTech
>Infinity

They suck worse than 40k. Unironically. I tried both of them and had zero fun. Yeah 10th edition of 40k sucks, but at least I can go back and play older editions that I did have fun playing.
>>
>>92730410
Some of them actually are. Not because they're smart or successful, but because they somehow fall ass-backwards into money.
>>
>>92733067
rose tinted buttplug
>>
>>92738130
>implying i've given catalyst a penny
The level of outright insane formatting in their rulebooks is honestly shameful
>>
>>92737644
Your dudes faggots can eat a giant bucket of dicks. It’s so fucking gay and dumb. That shit is a symptom of 40k being such a shit game. You end up doing gay things like naming your units because there is no point in actually playing.

Also no one who played warmachine said these things. This is complete headcanon.
>>
>>92739077
Hordes is the same exact game? They had it separate because that was during the IP issues with monpoc.

Honestly I have no idea what you are talking about. They have been able to played together since their inception.
>>
>>92739778
>They suck worse than 40k. Unironically. I
And this is why 40k should stay around, Someone had to keep retards in the designated niche
>>
>>92730289
They increased the price over and over for no reason, 16 years ago I bought a land raider for half the price of what it costs now, the exact same model, if you want to get into warhammer now 3D print and find like minded people.
>>
>>92738150
While Livingstone and Jackson owned GW, GW had nothing to do with FF. FF was published by Puffin which was an imprint of Penguin and the authors and illustrators were contracted to them not to GW even if some worked, or had worked, for GW like Darvill-Evans who left GW before he wrote any FF book.
>>
>Good
>Company
pick one
>>
>>92731911
Dilmah. To save you looking them up in case you're not a tea drinker, they grow and sell Ceylon tea, mainly black. Even their cut, tear, curl tea for bags is a cut above the rest.
>>
>>92729885
>Wargames have been a thing since 1812
We’re not in here with you, dipshit, you’re in here here with us.
>>
>>92730505
40K has been awful since 6th edition.
>>
>>92728804
LOL no.
>>
>>92730675
THIS
>>
File: IMG_9353.jpg (59 KB, 800x400)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>92731239
When you’re right you’re right
>>
>>92731911
Toyota and Heckler und Koch both started out making sewing machines, your point is invalid
>>
>>92742045
Fucking BLANCHE illustrated these books, for crying out loud
>>
>>92744939
>BLANCHE illustrated these books
Already covered by
>>>authors and illustrators were contracted to them not to GW even if some worked, or had worked, for GW
So do you have a point?
>>
>>92729885
i sincerely wish they'd use a fucking general i'm tired of filtering this many threads holy fuck
>>
>>92745146

Generals are for suckers and cucks. They are also the cancer that's been killing /tg/.

/tg/ is the warhammer board, full stop.
>>
>>92745146
Why is it so hard to type rpg general in the search?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.