[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 6ni9kp87p5551.png (1.08 MB, 3200x3200)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB PNG
Does your character have a philosophy or ideology?

My fighter is a cheerful, naive optimist. He doesn't kill intelligent races, even in self defense.
>>
>>92725101
My current eldrich knight fighter is a merry fellow, who wish that his party's struggle will make a safer world, where he will be able to study his true passion - sectrets of alchemy. This is his ideology - to cleanse enough evil so the world will become good enough. The only question if - for how long?
>>
File: FgHdxo1UYAAaNhB.jpg (301 KB, 1618x2048)
301 KB
301 KB JPG
>>92725101
As edgy as it sounds, I'm currently playing a character who's philosophy on violence is that he will endure any sleight of honor, any insult, any empty threats... but the moment someone draws a weapon, he will kill them outright with no warning. He believes that every time you draw a weapon or otherwise show that you're willing to use lethal force, you are willingly give up all right to the sanctity and security of your own life. If you're too stupid to realize that, too bad. Life's a bitch.

Yes, he expects his own life to be ended one day by someone who shares his views, and will be content when it happens.
>>
File: unabased.jpg (8 KB, 194x259)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>Hyborian Age game
>character is basically just Mowgli from Kipling's Jungle Book
>spends a year or so among "civilized" men when he reaches adulthood
>becomes picrel
>>
>spamming this /pol/ trash again
For fuck's sake.
>>
File: daisy-duck-donald-duck.gif (1.2 MB, 480x238)
1.2 MB
1.2 MB GIF
>>92727471
>>
>>92726831
This sounds extremely edgy and impractical. What does this sperg do about like, guards reaching for weapons? How does this person get through life in a dangerous profession if he MUST try to kill anyone who shows violent intent towards him? I would be less concerned about dying to someone who shares your views and more about the myriad other problems this would cause
>>
>>92727527
based
>>
>>92735456
>necrobumping your own thread
>>
>>92727471
political compass memes are popular even on the normie web, because they're mildly funny
>>92725101
my characters, even if they're really smart, generally assume politics is beyond them and instead just pursue their personal ethics until it kills them
>>
>>92725101
My current Ranger character is about as Chaotic Good as possible without being a full-on terrorist. At least until I can craft blightburn paste.
The constant ranting against both demons and the kingdom the party works with in equal measure is really spicing up our Wrath of the Righteous campaign.
>>
>>92725101
My guy in one game is a hardcore Hobbesian. He believes that antisocial behavior is fundamental to the nature of all people and that a social contract, enforced by the threat of violence, is the only thing that keeps people from devolving into savagery. He is currently being proven right, which will not save his life.

My guy in a different game is a fantasy approximation of a zen Buddhist. All suffering is caused by attachment, and his is no different. He is an imperfect being who is unable to let go and it is the cause of literally everything wrong with him. He was already dispassionate about violence before the campaign started but now actively hates it and thoroughly believes that he, as a person, would've been better off if he had never left the island where he was living during a time-skip and devoted himself to being the best farmer, husband and father that he could be. Alas, the world needs him to be a killer again, because of someone else who couldn't let go. The karmic debt of generations past is now falling on him (and the rest of the party, but they don't share his spiritual beliefs), and the second that debt is paid, his days of killing are done. Also, he recently became functionally-immortal (against his wishes and without his consent), so he's probably going to be the one stuck resolving the karmic imbalances accumulated during his own mortal lifetime.
>>
>>92730725
Making a profession and lifestyle out of doing violence necessarily voids your inclusion in the sanctity of life. Don't kill unless you're prepared to be killed. If that's a problem for you, be a farmer instead.
>>
>>92727471
gonna cry? piss your pant?
>>
>>92737527
No it doesn't, edgecuck. The real world is filled with thousands of examples of how you're full of shit.
>>
>>92737789
Nah. Since you've already done it, why repeat your behavior...
>>
>>92727471
>/pol/ trash
>The /pol/dm position can't even spell "niggers"
Yeah, no.
>>
>>92737956
Nah, nigga. It just makes sense. "People who do dangerous jobs should expect and are expected to be exposed to danger" isn't exactly a revolutionary concept. If you're a firefighter, are you gonna act surprised and upset when a building you go into as part of your job is on fire? Bitch, what do you think your job is? Consequently, if you grab a gun and go to shoot someone, what's stopping them from shooting you? Isn't it normal to shoot back when someone's shooting you? If some guy breaks into my house to steal my microwave, that's something I can resolve with a conversation, but the second he pulls a weapon, he's coming after my life and I give a fuck who he is or who he says he's with, I'm putting him in the dirt and never apologizing for it because he knew what he was getting into.

If you choose to do violence, you accept the possibility of violence being done to you. If you don't accept the possibility of violence being done to you, don't do violence. It isn't that hard.
>>
>>92725101
I now understand the 'failed author GM' archetype. How can I fix it in myself when running my own content?
>>
>>92742769
Don't railroad and don't expound on lore unless players ask first.
>>
>>92737956
>live by the sword, die by the sword
it does check out, anon
>>
>>92726831
What if a merchant or blacksmith is trying to sell him a weapon? What somebody's training him? What if somebody is sharpening their sword?
>>
>>92741752
If a guy has broken into your house then you should ventilate him anyways you fucking retard.
>lemme just talk it out with the dude who broke in my house
>no sir, go right ahead and pull your gun first so I'll know whether or not I can shoot you
>>
>>92742769
Have a plot that occurs within the setting, as opposed to being the setting.
>>
>>92743661
The meth-head who broke into my house last year didn't want to hurt me. He wanted money so he could buy meth. He wasn't even armed (probably sold his gun to buy meth). The second he realized he couldn't outrun me and steal my TV at the same time, he dropped the TV and bolted. Killing him wasn't going to fix my door, but it would've resulted in me having to talk to the police (they sure as fuck weren't going to fix my door), and I don't talk to cops. Literally the only possible reasons to kill him would've been spite and sending a message, neither of which were going to fix my door.
>>
>>92725101
Last 3 characters:
>Torchbearer
My graandfather did the right thing, government should serve the people not the other way around. There's nothing I won't do if it ensures the survival of mankind (And the Remnant since they're now along for the ride).
Fuck the Unity and Fuck the works of the Unity, we're making it out of this one with our souls intact boys.
>Jaasim
The truth will have out and judgement will be laid upon the wicked and false. Justice must be sought no matter who is the criminal.
Full on Paladinmaxxing and constantly being challenged on it as well; has recently had to assist in creating lie by omission during a court hearing in order to protect the victim from having their life ruined. Is fairly certain he did the right thing though.
>Ixtli
The Sun is dead bro, just accept it, it's time we made a new one instead of living with a decaying corpse in the sky. When life gives you lemons you find a new god.
>>
"When a true soldier is told to kill, he kills; he does not question why, he does not mourn the fallen, he fulfills his role and moves on to the next."
>>
>>92725101
A sort of gloomy buddhism, desperate to not just break free from The Wheel but destroy it completely so that all living things can finally get some rest.
Well-intenioned but edgelord extremist.
>>
Be humble, help others perfect themselves; hone your body, mind, and spirit to a more perfect state, practice discipline.

Don't become addicted to a substance, destroy an important historical text, or repeatedly fail to maintain self-control.
>>
"Hello Darkness, my old friend".
>>
A forgotten robot that wanted to follow in the footsteps of her master who had once helped save the world from eldritch nightmares, but has no real limit on how far she will go if she thinks something or someone is threatening her objective.
Has already murdered party members for "jeopardizing the operation".
Often called the "robot commissar" by other players.
>>
War is horrible and it doesn't make sense to humanize it.
>>
File: DV9Y5pNWAAEp4_B.jpg (1.03 MB, 3840x2160)
1.03 MB
1.03 MB JPG
>>92725101
My current guy is trying to thread the needle between his parents' religion, his martial order's code, and the harsh realities imposed on him by the Wasteland.

Mostly this boils down to him being a polite hardass in social situations and in combat situations he reverts to
>total
>enemy combatant
>death
He will rarely start shit but he will finish it and he will absolutely kill any and all aggressors without a second thought. Maybe he'll feel bad about it later but they shouldn't have shot at him.

He's also got a very low tolerance for raider or bandit behavior and prefers to just exterminate them before other options. He wants to believe in second chances but life kinda beat that out of him, so he settles for 'damage control' instead.

As for his more positive values: he believes strongly in the necessity of preserving knowledge and technology in the face of the post apocalypse, and most everything he does is in the pursuit of preserving/establishing stability and peace. He has a strong sense of empathy for the abused and helpless and is a firm believer in the value of charity and self-sacrifice. If something needs to get done (and it doesn't interfere with something dire) he's often one of the first to volunteer his time. He's also usually the first to put his own neck on the line in combat. Interpersonal loyalty is sacrosanct, even when he's dealing with people outside of his order; there's a hierarchy but he actively dislikes deception or manipulating people and it has to be done in pursuit of a nobler goal.
>>
>>92743758
I get what you're saying. Thanks anon!
>>92744462
Don't get addicted to destroying historical texts?
>>
>>92725101
>multiclass
>minmaxing
imagine being this clueless kek
>>
>>92726831
dies in the first session
>>
>>92737527
You didn't answer anything in his post

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.