[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: pirats.jpg (77 KB, 563x797)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
"We are the pirates!" edition.

Welcome to /usgen/
It is dedicated to discussing universal TTRPG system that are to small to have its own general.

/usgen/ rules:
1. We discuss only universal systems and related settings, which didn't have its own general. (So no D&D and no GURPS)
2. If you talk about specific system write its name down to avoid confusion.
3. Player-made settings for existing systems are encouraged.
4. We only discuss universal systems that were published. So ask about your "WIP system".
5. Try to limit off-topic discussions to minimum.

Player resources (so far):
Fudge - https://pastebin.com/R4gk2t95
Genesys (saved from /Gengen/) - https://pastebin.com/VnMDzUGa and https://pastebin.com/7knE7KSv

Thread question: Do you ever played in pirat themed setting or camping?

Previous thread: >> 92630706
>>
File: tnm_13_4_29-39.pdf (303 KB, PDF)
303 KB
303 KB PDF
Working towards playing a pirate game. Here's some real-life documents on how ships (galleons) handle.
>>
File: tnm_14_3_57-68.pdf (547 KB, PDF)
547 KB
547 KB PDF
>>92706889
>>
TQ: yes, I've forked Mini Six for my dark fantasy pirate game. I haven't gotten the ship rules nailed down because d6 has fun vehicle rules already and my players think actual sailing is boring (it's mostly a framing device for their actions on land and a cool mobile base).
>>
>>92706895
I've sailed a one-masted dinghy for over 50h IRL, run naval campaigns and read a fathom of sailing-ship and sailing-ship-to-steam fiction and history, but the best understanding about how a sailing SHIP is maneuvered I got from "Naval Action".
Its a free-to-play game run by some complete retards who actively work to make it worse, but for learning how and why a multi-mast sailing ship maneuvers (for example making tighter turns by turning the sails on the foremast one way and the rear mast the other way, so the wind helps you turn (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cDNMCz5wn8)) its the shit. It is the Mount and Blade of sailing vessels, except it got more detail in its ship maneuvering than M&B got for horse-maneuvering.
Try it, work up until you get a two-masted ship, fight npc's for a week or two until you start to understand it, then quit and uninstall. You are now able to describe how sailing ships move to your players better than 99.9% of anyone who have ever run a naval campaign.
>>
File: 134525.jpg (66 KB, 516x775)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
OneDice Abney Park's Airship Pirates

OneDice is a very light universal RPG system that uses one d6.

Abney Park is a steampunk / ren fest - real life band.

The game brings all of that together in an awkward way that actually kinda works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeEI-hh3MG0&ab_channel=abneypark
>>
File: 139799.jpg (62 KB, 515x772)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>92709185

but this was the image that was supposed to be posted, of course. D'oh!
>>
>>92706367
Glad to see people trying to make this thread work. I've been bouncing around trying universal systems for a bit now so it's nice to have a place to talk about these things.

TQ: I have not though I am going to be running a fantasy ancient Greece campaign soon so I might end up having to figure out how sailing works anyway if they want to travel to different mysterious islands.

To expand on this question I'm curious how others would run a pirate game. Would you focus on cool movie kind of action or keep it more realistic and tell your players they need to take twenty turns to reload their flintlocks?
>>
/gengen/ was supposed to be taking a break for a bit, but if this wants to give it a shot, who am I to stop them?
>>
For anyone who wants to play Genesys: >>92714020
>>
>>92707429
That's a funny game, thanks for the recommendation. Spinning the ship around is kind of easy, maybe because it's more modern than the galleons I've read about. There didn't seem to be any way to pull in the square-rigged sails in order to tack with only the spanker set. Would have been a cool trick to try, and would give the crew more time to rotate the yards. Speaking of the spanker, with the wind abeam and the square-rigged sails set parallel to the wind, the spanker doesn't really turn the ship at all, even when it looks about the same size as the main course.

>>92710526
>cool movie kind of action or keep it more realistic and tell your players they need to take twenty turns to reload their flintlocks?
What do you mean "or"? Swordplay is cooler than firing a gun. If the gun is effectively single-shot you get to tuck it in your belt and draw your sword.
>>
File: pirat.jpg (77 KB, 564x798)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
>>92711497
Wasn't a /gengen/ dead?
>>
>>92719585
It's only been down for a month.
>>
>>92719585
what happened to her hat?
>>
>>92725744
Given the way the teeth/spines are attached I think it's just crudely made from a monster hide too tough to reshape much.
>>
>>92725744
If you're talking about the hole, it's probably a gunshot.
>>
File: blackbeard.jpg (162 KB, 564x725)
162 KB
162 KB JPG
>>
>>92719596
damn
>>
File: 1666301101883384.jpg (1008 KB, 2000x776)
1008 KB
1008 KB JPG
>>
File: Eclipse.png (874 KB, 775x1002)
874 KB
874 KB PNG
>>92706367
Is Eclipse on-topic? Its 3.x d20 based and compatible, but its universal point buy.
>>
File: fudge-alignment-scale.png (123 KB, 1526x1526)
123 KB
123 KB PNG
Nice to see Fudge get some love. I made an alignment scale chart for my personal setting a good while ago.
>>
>>92711497
And an oldfag of /gengen/ it needs a long sleep. Most of the thread was gay pic bumping and an tryhard op would not let it go. It had a good pace when we where trying weekly threads, but for some reason there HAD to be a thread all the time so that got all fucked up.

Very glad we can confederate with some other games for a bit. I would suggest a weekly thread of there is low traffic.
>>
>>92746950
Threads are already weekly on /tg/.
>>
>>92747575
I mean starting a thread only once a week vs when the old one goes to archive. We tried to do a weekly thread and it was working until the main OP just said fuck it and started a new thread the minute the old one died.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.