[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: yeah its this one.jpg (123 KB, 663x1000)
123 KB
123 KB JPG
This is a just an amusing side-note: With RPGs being all the rage, my niece recommended me a book she thought was really, really cool setting-wise it sucks.
It goes like this:
>Oh no, Romans with guns are colonizing our peaceful backwater Chinese world
>I really should fight them with my vaguely-defined powers
>THAT HUNKY AUGUSTUS, THO
I just find it really amusing that fantasy for girls is just as crap. She also recommended Iron Widow it's Darling in the Franxx, but it sucks and it's not quite my thing, either.
Anyway, I just wanted to say, it's nice to see the 'YA fantasy to RPGs' pipeline is ongoing.
It reminds me of when we tried to adapt stuff like Animorphs and Gundam as a kid.
>>
>>92606365
Thought kids were into Game of Thrones? Or is that a done thing now?
>>
>>92606393
No that's absolutely dead
I think it's LitRPGs now.
>>
>>92606418
Can vaguely confirm. I got a random itch to find something to read and remembered Royal Road was a place for long, original fiction. The amount of "LitRPG" stuff crowding up every section was astounding.
>>
>>92606365
As ever, women are inevitably attracted to the power and virility of invaders. Same as it always was.
Dare I ask why the Romans have guns?
>>
>>92606565
It's just loaded with shit now
Just floods of AI-generated sloppa and Patreon begging.
>>
>>92606578
They come from a world where the Roman empire never fell, so they have guns, bombs and planes but still rock the aesthetic.
They don't have any magic, but magic is weak as shit anyway, so they start pillaging the Chinese hoping to find useful talents. Turns out being able to control water is not as useful as fully-automatic gunfire to the face.
>>
>>92606591
I fucking wish AI was good enough to write an interesting coherent novel. I'd settle for an okay-ish short story.. But every fucking AI out there writes like a 3rd grader following a intro-first-second-last-conclusion template. I feel something worse than pity for anyone thinking that shit is good enough to pass off as amateur fiction.
>>
>>92606638
When you say "the aesthetic", are we talking togas skirts and laurels, or segmentata?
>>
>>92606916
The latter, but it's not really a major bit of the story. Honestly, I think it's more of a white male, Asian female thing, with the Romans all being tall, handsome and cruel (but in a sexy way.)
Seriously, there are no fat or old Romans. Meanwhile all the Chinese guys are generally weak, effeminate or addicted to magical opium. There's this hilarious invader fetish thing, which I think wasn't intentional.
I'm not judging, though. If I was writing a fantasy novel I would probably include nubile native women who are inexplicably attracted to human males.
>>
>>92606984
Yeesh. As long as they're having fun and cumming super hard i guess. Still cant get over the segmentata though, why go back to an armour scheme that was only used for 100 years before being replaced by stronger and cheaper stuff? Or is it like a segmented balistic vest with the strap skirt part and shoulder pads added
>>
>>92607096
I checked, it's just 'armor' and togas.
>>
>>92606984
Sounds like r/AsianMasculinity's worst nightmare.
>>
>>92606984
Goddamn I hate women
>>
>>92606365
I swear that all women’s fiction is the same shit
>start reading “the city of brass” (thought it was an adaptation of the original, which also sucks in different ways)
>oh no, racist genies are oppressing minorities
>I really should fight them with my (desu fairly decently-defined) powers that I can’t master because it’s TOO MUCH PRESSURE, UGH
>THAT HUNKY GENOCIDAL DJINN THO
And then there’s a love triangle, because of course there is. Gotta choose between badboy and richboy, right? Shadow & Bone was practically the same routine. I guess all following the Twilight formula.
>>
Glad that your niece is interested in RPG and wants to start doing her own homebrewing in a world she likes.
I hope she maintains this enthusiasm and call her friends to play and happily share a hobby together. It's all about that in the end of the day.

>Anyway, I just wanted to say, it's nice to see the 'YA fantasy to RPGs' pipeline is ongoing.
Oh yeah, man. I'm currently playing a game with a player who enjoys too much those chinese drama and contemporary stories on "le old china mythical times". He reads lots of fanfiction and loves talking about this (I guess he's autist? More power for him I guess. Go turbo autism, my friend).
This only comes as a disadvantage because he can read 40+ chapters fanfiction, but can't read about our setting in Roll20 (which is neatly organized and updated for new players having an understanding on what happened) and he wants insert chinese characters in a countryside french county in late 2000s because "we need some representation/different colour in this setting!".
>>
>>92606365
>it's Darling in the Franxx, but it sucks
So it's Darling in the Franxxx
>>
>>92606365
>I just find it really amusing that fantasy for girls is just as crap.
It's sad. I guess fantasy is just fucked in general.

I have a weird soft spot of Shoujo anime with a supernatural element. Wonder if you can find anything like that in western works.
>>
>>92609486
You should do a Three Kingdom inspired setting, but with more magic.
>>
>>92609767
It's an interesting idea, but not a chance I'd GM for that guy. If he can't read a setting from a game he himself enlisted to play, I wouldn't waste my time GMing a setting of his personal preferrence. It's very disrespectful of his part.

But now a question regarding Three Kingdoms: Could an adaptation using L5R work?
>>
>>92606365
sounds based
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (568 KB, 1200x1600)
568 KB
568 KB JPG
>>92609767
>You should do a Three Kingdom inspired setting, but with more magic.
A finger on the monkey's paw curls.
>>
>>92608450
You mean the ricecels?
>>
>>92606365
>it's Darling in the Franxx
Anon, I have something to tell you...
>>
>>92606365
That's funny to me that even in a fantasy book with Evil White Colonizers, written by an Asian woman, they still write in a white dude as the love interest.
>>
>>92616748
Apparently the backlash to this book was so bad, in the second book she might hook up with her childhood friend who is secretly infiltrating the Romans.
A lot of people compared the romance to a Jew falling in love with a Nazi, or - worse - a WWII Chinese girl with a Japanese imperial soldier.
>>
>>92617533
>had to hide her fetish to appease people
Kinkshaming never stops...
>>
>>92609072
Found the weak, opium addicted fantasy asian
>>
>>92609486
Well he can, it's not like there's no chinese diaspora in France. If you really need a special justification, just say that they opened a chinese restaurant nearby or something
>t. Omelette du fromage. Surrender French, yeah yeah
>>
>>92617703
I'm not Asian,just dislike seeing my bros put down like this. One of my closest friends had a complex because of stuff like this
>>
>>92617774
He indeed can, but the complain was about the player's autistic behavour in trying to put his magical realm on the game while not even reading the setting.
I wish he had thought through this instead of just blatantly putting "representation" in the scenario.
>>
>>92606393
Game of Thrones has been over for years, and it left exactly zero cultural impact
>>
>>92617533
>or - worse - a WWII Chinese girl with a Japanese imperial soldier
The reactions I get when I refer to it as "The tender and consensual loving of Nanking" in conversation are always worth it.
>>
>>92619327
It's just the way of the world, those who get sex and those who don't. No use getting upset about it.
>>
>>92606984
>There's this hilarious invader fetish thing, which I think wasn't intentional.
YA Novels for girls that is entirely intentional.
The only YA girl novel I don't remember having hunky outsider and weak pathetic insider was one where the girl found out that her society lobotomizes people, and after failing to escape it and seeing the people she befriended lobotomized or killed off, she becomes one of the best hunter/killers of the society, being allowed to keep her intelligence and use it to bring unity/peace to others who thought they could escape.
I wish I could remember the name because I remember that shit being jarring as fuck to a young me, and yet the girls I know who read it were talking about how awesome she is and how even better she is in the later books where she goes 100% into the role.
>>
>>92606984
>Seriously, there are no fat or old Romans. Meanwhile all the Chinese guys are generally weak, effeminate or addicted to magical opium.
Is that for real?
>>92608450
>Sounds like r/AsianMasculinity's worst nightmare.
Yeah, no way it wasn't on purpose.
>>
>>92620588
Uglies / Pretties / Specials
>>
File: 7b2.jpg (104 KB, 640x640)
104 KB
104 KB JPG
>>92606706

Why the fuck would you want AI to be able to write an interesting novel when, even if we reduce our conversation to genre fiction, there's like a fucking century of work to go through, with the benefit of time winnowing the crap?
>>
>>92619327
>women find fictional love interests of a different race from themselves attractive, I'm being oppressed
>>
>>92623088
>why would you want tailor-made suits when there’s hundreds of outfits at Asda

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.