[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • Use with [math] tags for inline and [eqn] tags for block equations.
  • Right-click equations to view the source.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 6T56.png (200 KB, 675x499)
200 KB
200 KB PNG
Is it possible to scientifically quantify the value of art by a standard other than the financial value of the artwork?
>>
>>16144559
Quantification of art is a fool's errand. Its value comes from a lot of eclectic places, not unnotably 'how much you like it'.
>>
>>16144559
Are you a baby who needs all the art in the world to tell you about how indomitable le human spirit is?
>>
>>16144559
Art changes us, and we change the world. There's your quantification. Pic related
>>
>>16144754
how much is that statue worth?
>>
>>16145993
Today, maybe $10k. There are a ton of busts of Octavian that are better preserved. But to Octavian, it was priceless (JK he obviously had this commissioned) to put himself on display for all the plebs, so that they would recognize and revere him. If op is trying to find a formula to quantify the value of art monetarily, this is very difficult, since in all but the last 60 years or so, the main value of art has been it's use as propaganda, and only in rare, advanced societies did the wealthy value art that they didn't commission themselves. My advice to op: get some rich, "cultured" friends.
>>
>>16146405
you can actually get them with the nose intact for about $100
>>
>>16147611
R You havin a lil troll? I think you're looking at cheap replicas. The one I posted was an authentic museum piece that last sold for $30k
>>
Yes, you can quantify the value by weight or by water displacement. For paintings you can also use surface area.
>>
>>16144559
Currently no,
In order to find such a baseline we’d have to first quantify the human experience and since there is no mathematical equation to even calculate consciousness yet, I think the “for time being” answer is no.
But in the long run, with AGI/ASI, we will be able to do so but by then it will be pointless to focus such effort towards because we’ll be focusing on so much other massively important things that art will not be the focus of equations
>>
>>16148165
that was a counterfeit, if you're going to buy a counterfeit, why not buy one thats open and honest about what it is?
i'd rather have 300 replicas than one counterfeit, plus the replicas look better
>>
>>16144754
>the best
not hadrien?
>>
>>16148392
IDK. I think you just need a little class and taste to buy a successful art buyer
>>16149242
There's literally no reason to buy a counterfeit unless you got scammed. Maybe as an expensive prop for an indie film
>>
>>16144559
The boolean of my erection
>>
File: nobrain.png (4 KB, 505x572)
4 KB
4 KB PNG
>>16144616
>>16144617
>>16148392
>>
No one will define art let alone scientific quantify the value of specific pieces because they have their own biases that they like being able to say arent art like modern slop. I would just describe it as something made with sovl that in some way is mean to be admired for its beauty/emotional aspects
>>
No, you're dumb for even asking.
>>
>>16144616
>Its value comes from a lot of eclectic places,
money laundering & insurance fraud aren't as exotic as you think
>>
>>16144754
>>16146405
>>16149494
>>16150882
Looks like we found a few ways to quantify the value of art. Successful thread, op?
>>16148392
Retard
>>
>>16144559
probably
>>
>>16144559
>value
is all a social construct by definition, to the artist it will always be how long it took for them to make the painting or to learn / evolve a (new) skill during the painting process. To the masses it will always be whatever was paid for the drawing or whatever is written in the jewish article, to the rich old man buying the painting it will be what the jewish mediator told them and to the jewish mediator it will be what he thinks he can get away with telling to the rich old man and what the artist is willing to give the drawing up for (usually a non-factor as it will be much less than what the old man is going to offer)
>>
>>16152769
so are you saying that it is or isn't possible to scientifically quantify the value of art by a standard other than the financial value of the artwork?
>>
>>16144559
Science is too dumb to develop a means to do that
>>
>>16144559
If you're talking about paintings then quantifying them by area might work, bigger being better of course. With statues it would be by mass or maybe by volume.
The bigger a work of art is, the more impressive it is. Thats why Mt Rushmore and Stonehenge are so popular.
>>
>>16144559
If you could do that then it would affect the financial value of the artwork
>>
>>16156068
>Stonehenge
Its fake, they built it in the late 1800s
>>
>>16158105
Mt Rushmore was made in the 1920s, is that fake too?
>>
>>16158600
its still a work in progress
>>
>>16144559
Modern artists often overly rely on the "idea" or "statement" of a peice and don't put any effort in tying their art to those concepts. You can say you want to open a dialogue with your art but it still has to believably be related to that topic.
>>
>>16158105
is that how the druids assembled it?
>>
>>16144559
Not without quantifying the qualitative. One can fashion at least a fascimile of quantifying the qualitative by virtue of applying their minds rationally (or irrationally?). But that's just thinking at that point. We've arrived back at the starting point of "I think" being a self-justified sentiment.
>>
>>16149512
Plethysmography isn't necessarily categorical.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.