[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: bbg2.jpg (106 KB, 617x500)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
If you want help picking out a bike, post your height, what you will use the bike for, and a link to your local craigslist.

>I want to buy a new bike. What should I watch out for?
Don't buy Wal-Mart garbage.
Don't buy department store garbage.
Beware of amazon and alibaba garbage.

>Should I buy from Bikes Direct?
If you are clueless enough that you need to ask, no. If you have no mechanical ability, no. If the alternative is walmart, maybe. Ask first.

>I want to buy a used bike. What should I watch out for and where should I buy?

Craigslist is good for old bikes. Pinkbike.com/buysell is good for used modern mid- to high- end mountain bikes.
Ask in /bbg/ if uncertain.

Be aware that a used bike will need some repairs and adjustments. The most likely parts to need replacement are tubes, tires, brake pads, and chain. Chains are a wear item. Inspect all of these things as well as sprocket teeth, brake performance, shifting performance, and check bearings (bottom bracket, headset, and wheel hubs) for play, and check wheels for wobble. If there is a lot wrong with the bike, you may have to put a lot of money into it for parts, and money or time for repairs.

>What size bike should I buy?
The right size.
https://goodcalculators.com/bike-size-calculator/
>>
https://lynchburg.craigslist.org
https://richmond.craigslist.org
I'm familiar with both these cities but I would have to travel to both of them
>>1993008
I'm looking for an older road bike, ideally something that I could put a rack on. I'm not well versed in bicycles, I've only rode cheap mountain bikes from when I was younger. I would be using it mostly on paved roads, bikepacking being the end goal. I'm 6 foot.
>>
>>1993010
if you're inexperienced, looking for vintage and don't want to spend an arm and a leg, i suggest buying a $20-$50 pos, and spending the rest of your budget on basic tools and new tires. this way you can learn what you like and don't like without spending a lot of money. you'll also learn basic maintenance which will be beneficial in the future. if you hate the bike, you just put the old tires back on and re-list it for the same price you paid and try something else. 80s jap bikes are a great value. Miyata, Nishiki, Centurion, Panasonic, Shogun, etc.
>>
>>1993003
Putting bikes direct and amazon/walmart bikes in the same category shows you have no idea what you're talking about. Just because there is a cultural taboo against swapping the 105 crankset and putting in fsa and still calling it a "105 build" doesn't mean it's in the same league as grip shifting monstrosities. I agree the marketing is skeezy and the bikes have negative prestige and many of the customers are probably pretty clueless but it's still better than a random craiglist dumpster dive, and btw you'll need mechanical ability on a mail order bike, unless maybe it's a canyon or something where it's meticulously done except for clamping the bars and sticking the front wheel in the dropouts
>>
How much do fork materials _really_ matter on a bike? I'm looking at Cannondale vs Trek for a hybrid and there's a $400 difference between otherwise similar bikes with Steel/Alloy/Carbon forks.
>>
>>1993021
also you should mention how awful b*cycle bl** b**k is and how it should be ignored. much more relevant than bikes direct which is only mildly distasteful
>>
>>1994782
If it takes wide tires and you pump them up to the right pressure for system weight + conditions the difference will only be in weight.
>>
File: IMG_4780_jpg.jpg (3.07 MB, 3761x2507)
3.07 MB
3.07 MB JPG
>>1993011
This is what I did. The bike itself was rubbish though and I ended up having to spend a lot of money replacing the steel rims, then brakes, then better levers to match those brakes, then new handlebars cause the diameter was too small for modern parts.
I can’t put a price on experience though.
>>
I know you're supposed to buy a quality used one if you're on a budget, but what's the best new bike I can get for under $300? Mainly going to be used on roads and dirt roads with maybe a little bit of trail use. I prefer thumb shifters over twist shifters. I can't buy used because I need a receipt. Insurance company is replacing one that was stolen.
>>
>>1994835
Can't you just use venmo to buy used and there's your receipt?
>>
>>1994837
I don't think they'll accept something that isn't from a major store. I was thinking of ordering one online from Academy Sports or Walmart and picking it up. I looked at the bikes they had on display in those stores; I didn't like any of them.
>>
>>1994835
something from decathlon
>>
>full carbon gravel bike frame for $500 from chinks
>Barely any reviews
Am I investing for a huge hospital bill or are they decent enough to get?
>>
>>1994865
I’ve heard that the low grade stuff has very poor quality workmanship. It’s carbon, don’t risk your death.
>>
>>1994867
You're right. Found some guy on leddit and it cracked open like glass.
>>
I've been looking for a perfect all-year multipurpose dropbar bike that fits for a long time and my local shop has this superior x-road elite gr.

https://superiorbikes.com/en-en/bikes/product/x-road-elite-gr/794

The geometry is super comfortable, but it doesn't seem like a do-it-all bike. Max tire width is 40mm and no full fender or rack. mounts

Any thoughts? should I keep looking?
>>
>>1994835
Literally not worth your money at $300

Posiden was selling redwoods for $500 new, bout the bottom line for me
>>
>>1993003
Hello people.
I start college next year and want a bike to commute. Do you recommend any particular city (hybrid?) bike around 500 euros? I have used bikes all my life and know basic maintenance/ got tools. However i have no idea about the market.
Thanks in advance.
>>
>>1995369
I can only speak from my personal experience. I own only 1 city bike and its the only city bike I've ever owned. I have owned countless of road, tri- TT- bikes and such.
Mine is a granville toronto 7 speed. It soon became my daily and I have abused the everliving hell out of it for 5 years or more. In a usual year I ride somewhere between 40k and 50k km, the majority of which was on this bike.
Actual issues so far: The factory kickstand is rubbish but I dont use kickstands.
It came with a suspension fork which is gay stupid and useless bloat on a bike of this type and would not be suitable for an actual offroad bike.
Everything else seems bullet proof.
Things that needed doing so far:
The usual maintenance:
Replacing brake pads, refilling and bleeding gay hydraulic brakes, replqcing broken spokes, oil service of the IGH, replacing worn through rims everytimes the wear indicator disappears, replacing the lights once after diodes blew, replacing shifter outer and cable, replacing front hydraulic line, service shocks (literally just friction dampened spring) replace BBs, replace pedals, cranks, replace chainring and cog, replace ergo grips. Of course replacing inner tubes and tires (shes currently on air + inners and marathon tires).
She is reasonably fast. A real beast of burden, with some ingenuity she will carry almost anything. She is bullet proof and, what made her become and remain my daily fast: There is hardly ever a problem that you can't delay sorting or anticipate. If you for example break a spoke you don't have to do that before tomorrow morning, you can ride like that.
The only thing i still feel weird about even ro this day is positioning on the bike, then again if after a crash I'm auffering from bad wrists I wouldnt want to ride low profile really.
So yeah. She's perfect. Do with that whatever you want.
>>
>>1995369
forget It, 500 euro is now a weird price point for new. You can't get anything from nice brands, and it's too much for unknown brands mistery meat.
So unfortunately I can't directly suggest you anything, mainly because I have some pretty strong opinions on what a commuter bike should look like but I don't want to groom you.
In university cities used market could be good, just don't buy stolen, you could still get some nice catch. For something new and reliable you can just buy a decent Decathlon bike or maybe a hardtail, but I hate the idea of commuting with suspensions.
Anyway, in university cities bike theft is common, you can't go around with something flashy and leave it for hours outside your library or dorm. You should get something either beat up and rusty or that looks beat up, get creative. Don't invest in nice saddles and invest in a nice lock.
If I had to suggest anything... It would be take a riverside 120 for 280 euro or less on sale, rough it up and get a nice abus or kryptonite lock, and plus point you can mount some nice fat 2+ tires on that b, which are something that I look for on a commuting bike (here I said It sorry for the grooming).
Either this or up your budget, but I don't know any serious university in the euro area where you could get away with a flashy bike, or go with a cheap used 3 speed If you live in a flat and "thefty" area.
>>
>>1995369
>>1995386
Or you could take a page out of the book of the nerds around here, and get a hipster cheap used road bike or fixie, your knees and ass will hurt but you'll look good with girls innit?
>>
>>1995386
hes a huge faggot anyways and deserves the cage
>>
what's the QRD on decathalon? planning to pick up a basic road bike for exercise and bikepacking, maybe some commuting.
>>
Sup /bbg/, my state is launching an ebike rebate incentive - $1500 or up to a percentage of the value of the bike based on your 2023 taxes (in my case it looks to be around 60% max). I'm interested in upgrading from my current MTB to an eMTB, ideally around the $2500-3000 range. Please note that this incentive is only for new builds, as far as I am aware.
I would like something that will be usable on a 15 mile commute each way (if I so desire) and good for trail riding. I'm 5'10" (~178cm if you hate freedom units), and 210lbs (95kg). Area around me is somewhat hilly so I'd like something with a bit of torque. So far trying to do my own research has me a bit overwhelmed since I get drowned out in loosely-veiled ads, and products that miss my market when trying to look up good ebikes at my price point. What are some bikes that would fill this description? From what I've seen anything quality starts hitting the 5-6k mark pretty quick, but I've seen some products that hang around my price point; I just don't want to drop over a grand on an "upgrade" that's total shit.
>>
>>1995371
>>1995386
>>1995388
Thanks for the input mates.
>>
>>1995391
Their dirt cheap bikes are great value, their entry level gravel bike Triban RC100 is like 300EUR and very ridable. Clothes are also pretty good. When it comes to their more expensive stuff, you're often better off with other brands, and don't buy non-decathlon brand stuff in their stores because it's usually more expensive.
>>
>>1995392
To my mind trail riding and commuting are completely different use cases, but setting that aside... Don't overthink things - walk into whatever local bike shop is closest to you and buy an e-MTB that's full suspension and has thru-axles front and rear. All the big brands have these in the 3-4k range and if you're not educated enough to geek out on the differences don't sweat it, you'll enjoy any riding any of these:
https://www.cannondale.com/en-us/bikes/electric/e-mountain/moterra-neo/moterra-neo-s3
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/stance-eplus-2-20mph
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/turbo-levo-sl-comp/p/154888?color=263664-154888
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/mountain-bikes/electric-mountain-bikes/rail/rail-5-gen-2/p/35032/?colorCode=black_teal
>>
>>1994860
>Academy Sports.
No.
>Walmart.
Just fucking no.

Bikesdirect.

>>1994865
Do you know how to test carbon?
>>
Looking to restore my friend's bike. I got an old Sora STI 2x9 lying around. Now I just need chainring+crank and a rear derailleur. I have no idea about compatibility. Any suggestions which ones to buy? Can the chinks be trusted?
>>
>>1995523
>chainring+crank
Whatever you want that the FD can handle. Your sora shifters are probably optimized for the standard 39/53 so that would work, or a compact 30/46, or a mtb setup could work with some messing around.
>rd
whatever can cope with your 9s cassette.
>>
should I get a Domane AL5 Gen 4? 2k USD
>>
>>1995391
Good for entry level shit - but their touring range makes me lol.

Otherwise buying decent used.
>>
>buy $1400 bike
>still mostly ride the $20 beach cruiser that lives in the bushes in your backyard

I should've just bought drugs
>>
>>1995523
You have to do your own research with the chinks, check trace velo for reviews and shit

For your crank, I recommend you buy a used squAre taper Shimano set

For your derailleur, I recommend a new Acera.
>>
>>1995550
You went too far. $500 gets you a soulful old bike you'll love but won't miss, buying used.
>>
File: Kona-Rove-LTD-Review_JC_4.jpg (681 KB, 1761x1174)
681 KB
681 KB JPG
What's a good allroad/gravel bike frameset for running 650x47b for under $1000? The lower price the better, means I can get a better groupset. I was looking at the Surly Midnight special but it seems pretty expensive for a steelie. Probably going to run 1x11. The Kona Rove LTD seems good too, I'm just wondering if anyone has good experiences with these or any other options
>>
>>1995538
just pointing out that this post is total bullshit. but I don't want to shill for decathlon so those who have a little bit of sense can judge for themselves
>>
>>1995523
>Can the chinks be trusted?
Chink here. Trust us as much as you can test us, or have others test for you. But there's more than enough shit that should work.

>>1995563
This is a good plan. But there's also enough new shimano and compatible stuff so don't neglect that.
>>
>>1995572
Sorry can't say, more of a 26in mtb guy.
>>
>>1995572
Posiden redwood is easily your best shot rn, there's a sale going on and you can get a new bike shipped for $500. All you really need to buy after that is a better saddle and tires.
>>
>>1994782
Less than geometry, but it's a strong indicator of quality and design philosophy. And most people can't read bike geometry.

>>1995050
At that price I see no reason to comrpomise.

>>1995369
Go higher in budget or go used.

>>1995391
They have some of the cheapest actual bikes around. They also have some complete fucking garbage so double check. Expect cut corners and weird specs. Like bikes direct but with less of a sense of humor.

>>1995572
Both those are maxway with premium paintjobs.
>>
>>1995604
if they're just generic frames and forks with nice paintjob, do you have any idea where I could get similar/same frames without the brand name? Shopping from SEA btw.
>>1995603
seems decent but not available where I'm at, and also want a few specific components so I was really looking for a frameset and not a complete bike
>>
>>1995617
Ye my bad mis read, a nice frame but fuck heavy
>>
>>1995535
bump :3
>>
>>1995604
>Less than geometry
this
>most people can't read bike geometry
geometry can be incredibly complex, being able to read a bike's geometric design is just the start, understanding the effects of changing those numbers is where it's complex but ultimately dictates the character of a bike more than the material it's built from

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.