[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: pipe-vise-stand.jpg (283 KB, 1280x960)
283 KB
283 KB JPG
/bbg/ Bike Building General
"I'm not paying Park for a fucking bike stand, or cleaning my shed" Edition.

A place to ask questions, and to share tips & resources. Post your projects, your finished & in-process builds, restorations, etc.

Resources:
Barnett's Bicycle Repair Manual - https://www.flwlib.org/DocumentCenter/View/2461/Bike-Repair
UCSB Associated Students Bike Shop Manual (2022) - https://bikeshop.as.ucsb.edu/files/2021/08/AS-BIKE-SHOP-WEB-MANUAL.pdf
Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Technical Info - https://www.sheldonbrown.com/
Bike parts, tools, etc. - https://www.universalcycles.com/

Chinkshit:
https://www.aliexpress.com/category/200010436/bicycle-repair-tools.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/category/1222/bicycle-parts.html

>Bike Questions General >>>/n/bqg
>Wheels General >>>/n/wg
>Bike Apparel General >>>/n/bag
>Post Your Bike Thread>>>/n/pybt
>>
>>1991676
Finished brazing a cromoly frame together couple months ago, ended up at 5 pounds.
>>
>>1991708
did you use acetylene? i have been looking into doing this and it's kind of expensive to get the tanks/gas. plus you are probably going to have to build a few before you can get it down right.
>>
>>1991722
Acetylene is better, but you can use some smaller torches, as long as your making a lugged bike. It would be stupid to fillet braze with something like propane.
>>
>>1991467
>How hard would it be to manufacture my own bike frame?
Broad question. There are so many variables--your idea, your skills, what tools you have, etc.
I'd say it ranges from "a fair bit of work" to "really quite difficult". It's a bit like having an idea for a website or program, and saying "I don't do programming though".

>>1991469
If you're brand new, the easy thing to do is copy something good.

>wouldn't the lugs determine the geo
In general yes. There are different sets, for various tubing diameters, different angles, etc.
The lug supplier will either have a drawing of the angles/dimensions, or a listing of them that you can plug into something like BikeCAD. Super useful if you're building a traditional 'diamond' frame.

The amount of clearance/wiggle room depends on what alloy you're using for the joint, but it will be a tiny number. Something like .002-.006. A piece of copy paper is ~.004.
If you're gonna bend something... it's gonna be the tubes.

>now that you can weld the tubes instead of braize them to lugs
This was one of the big changes in the cycling world. If you look through ancient mtb catalogs, for a while the lower tier stuff was lugged & brazed, the higher tier stuff welded or fillet brazed. Because the latter option was much more freeform wrt to tubing lengths, angles, etc when people were really experimenting with what worked well.

You both seem interested in the topic, check out some of this guy's videos. This recent one is specifically about kind of a half & half technique, where you sorta get the look, but aren't locked into set angles, etc.
Bilaminate Construction on a BICYCLE HEADTUBE // paul brodie's shop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK9yeHU14rk
>>
File: Capture.png (93 KB, 766x331)
93 KB
93 KB PNG
this was the worst financial decision of my life
>>
>>1991731
what do frame builders use to cut and cope the tubing for filet brazing? are they doing it by hand with a bandfile, or do they use a hole saw in a jig or something?
>>
File: IMG_1012.jpg (906 KB, 1754x1125)
906 KB
906 KB JPG
I’ve been looking into the idea of welding/brazing disc brake mounts to an old GT bravado steel frame.
Most conversions seem to add ISO-tabs, but since flat mount calipers are both more available and also sleeker I’d wanna go with that if possible. Is the chainstay strong enough to handle it without a brace? 140 or 160mm discs.

Since a flat mount conversion would put the caliper between chain and seatstay, a brace right next to it would maybe help a little, but the braking force would ofc be centered right at the mounting spot.

I’ve seen it done, but maybe it’s a bad idea?

Not my frame in picture, but one just like it
>>
File: bb.png (815 KB, 806x448)
815 KB
815 KB PNG
wee
>>
File: bb2.png (1.34 MB, 979x548)
1.34 MB
1.34 MB PNG
>>1991750
>>
holy shit this is the first time ive seen this board and the catalog has 5 bike threads and i need bike advice
i got an old dutch steel bike (literally made in 1984, no joke) for free from some old dutch people and it hasnt been riden for a decade. the goal is to restore it to a single speed with panniers and rim brakes. any tips?
>>
>>1991766
your'e dutch. throw it in a canal and steal a new one
>>
>>1991772
no im australian. theres no bikes around to steal and i would certainly get in trouble for it. it was shipped here and put in their garden as a feature piece until they gave it to me
>>
File: 1_xsEapEDGvqlO9Vl4ZtmYKQ.jpg (197 KB, 1400x1050)
197 KB
197 KB JPG
>>1991745
It's gonna be a lot of work either way and probably require bracing. Personally I wouldn't even bother and just put a disc brake fork on the frame and keep a decent V-brake at the rear, stopping power is 70% front brake anyway.
>>
>>1991778
Yeah I figure, though I don't mind putting in the work if I know a good result is achievable.

I don't plan to ride it super hard or anything, so V-brakes would surely be enough. I just wanna build a cool looking bike with modern components on the frame I like
>>
>>1991728
yeah i was thinking about mapp for small stuff, i wanted to try brazing stuff on my bike, but yeah, propane definitely wouldn't get hot enough for that.
>>1991742
ohh, i wasn't sure. i found out there is a welding supply place near me so i'll have to ask before i pick some up second hand.
>>
>>1991780
Build a mullet, with disc front and rim back.
>>
>>1991911
isn't the front like 80% of your braking power anyway? I'm always using the front brake by itself, but tend to only use the back brake in conjunction with the front, for quick stops.
>>
>>1991911
If you do this make sure you get a mechanical disc brake at the front (fuck fluids btw) and a V-brake at the rear so you can use matching long pull brake levers, or if you insist on a cantishit rear brake for hipster meme points use brake levers that can be adjusted between long pull and short pull.
>>
>>1991745
put it on top of the seat stay near the dropouts, mig is just fine
>>
File: murray3.jpg (353 KB, 971x1280)
353 KB
353 KB JPG
>>1991760
bought this piece of crap for the fenders, basket, and rack.
>>
File: murray4.jpg (205 KB, 1280x855)
205 KB
205 KB JPG
>>1992042
$10 bike. was gonna throw it away after i pulled all the stuff off
>>
File: murray5.jpg (353 KB, 1280x908)
353 KB
353 KB JPG
>>1992043
but i never had a klunker before, so i assembled this piece of shit
>>
>>1992042
i-is that a blood?
>>
>>1992187
im not good at this
>>
what tool can i get to unfuck my bb threads?
>>
>>1992300
Get a hacksaw and cut a slot in the o.d. threads of the BB cartridge then use it like a die to slowly chase the threads. Only go a little at a time then back off. The slot gives a place for the chips to go. Use oil, too.
>>
>>1992303
thanks for the tip bro. i sorted it tho. turns out the new bb just had shit threads

fuck the chinks, sometims.
>>
File: IMG_2561.jpg (3.32 MB, 4032x3024)
3.32 MB
3.32 MB JPG
Cracked wheel discs, 35 year old plastic that hasn’t gone super brittle, but it was never flexible to begin with
>>
File: IMG_2563.jpg (3.39 MB, 4032x3024)
3.39 MB
3.39 MB JPG
>>1992454
Automotive wiring harness tape, it’s like hockey tape but more sticky and a finer weave. So it’s super flexible and sticks to anything pretty well.
Fits around these curves where the cracks are great. It’s not permanent, but nothing short of super glue would be, and I don’t want to potentially fuck that up.
I might basically put a backing layer on both disc sides, like a big vinyl sheet or something, just to give it some more support
>>
>>1992455
nice. i wonder if plastic welding with zip ties would be feasible, or if the stock is too thin, or a different type of plastic. size those holes and when you do your final fix you can just cover those small holes and redrill them out instead of fiddling with trying to shape or cut around them.
>>
File: IMG_2564.jpg (3.41 MB, 4032x3024)
3.41 MB
3.41 MB JPG
>>1992464
The other idea I was thinking of for them is to reinforce the wear points and edges. Basically wrap aluminum rings around the valve hole, then the inside and outside edges, and bond washers to the bolt holes. This stuff is too thin to involve heat, it would warp immediately.
This is distinctly for show, this isn’t an everyday ride, but I just want them to be a bit more secure for peace of mind.
They’re designed to be somewhat compliant so my other concern is say I cut some aluminum U trim to fit the rim of the disc, and that extra rigidity actually leads to failure.
>>
File: 20230517_005323-01~2.jpg (1.55 MB, 2822x2068)
1.55 MB
1.55 MB JPG
>>1992465
the original setup for that is so cool despite the gimmicks. I had one that I had to modify a bit for a shorter friend, the stem was like 140mm and weighed 500 grams lol. Looks pretty racy with my saddle height. Beautiful frame, I love the wishbone.
>>
>>1992513
Yeah this one is a bit small on me, it’s a 19” frame and I’m best on 20-21”, so the low and forward thing is amplified a lot.
The melon Marin above is 21” and fits me great
But it absolutely rips anyway, and looks super cool. We don’t have these in the US so it’s definitely a unique one to be riding around
>>
>>1992518
I forgot this isn’t the post your bike thread
Melon Marin >>1992163
which also needed a lot of work, I got that thing in a really sorry state but it cleaned up very nice
>>
>>1991676
any idea on building a nice diy bike stand?
>>
>>1992580
I would check used first
>>
Is it practical to get a hand torch type thing to braze a few lugged frames together? I’m assuming welding is too much up front cost for just a few frames, and I can’t imagine I’d get skilled at it anyway.
>>
>>1992948
That's the reason bikes of the past were lugged and brazed until it became profitable to mass produce welded bikes. The bigger issue will be a frame jig
>>
you'll want an oxy/acetylene mix. it's a few hundred dollars. you'll need to buy a torch, some tips, and then go get a bottle of gas and air at a supply house. then of course you'll need a ton of other tools. i'd acquire things slowly and cheaply via facebook, flea markets, yard and estate sales.
>>
>>1992956
That’s encouraging, thank you.
>>
>>1992948
For a few bike frames, a used tig vs oxy acetylene are somewhat comparable. You can do lots of other things with both of them aside from making bikes, depends on what way you want to make bikes and what else you would do with the tools.
>>
File: Capture.png (245 KB, 992x581)
245 KB
245 KB PNG
I'm not paying $25 for this.
>>
this old reflector will do
>>
>>1993182
nice
>>
cut it down
>>
take your time so you get a good, even cut kek
>>
let's pretend like we're not in the bush league
>>
that'll do
>>
this paint has seen a few presidents
>>
and now we wait
>>
File: photo_2024-04-24_18-55-44.jpg (214 KB, 1121x1280)
214 KB
214 KB JPG
gonna need these. i really need to buy a set of tap and dies.
>>
tenatively calling this a success. i'll eventually tap and slot it so it's not a pain in the ass every time i need to change a brake cable. fuck you amazon.
>>
>>1993197
Brilliant
>>
>>1993197
there is a diy bike hacks thread fyi
>>
>>1993436
yeah let's further splinter content on the board that gets 12 visitors a day
>>
File: P1012234.jpg (991 KB, 2400x1800)
991 KB
991 KB JPG
I got this 1982 Miyata 610 from the original owner yesterday, fifty bux.
A touring bike, mid spec in the range. The seller said when he bought it the bike shop guy talked him into some upgrades, so it has the same derailers & shifters that came with the 1000. It also has a double instead of a triple. Said he never rode it much, and I believe him.

The marks on the rear dropouts say the rear skewer was clamped down twice, hardly any scuffs on the fd, etc. The ancient tires are rotten, but still have the little bit of rubber flash, where the molds met. Must have rode it very little.

This is gonna to be a replacement for my old 'old ten speed fixed gear', and it's good for that. The rear is 120mm, the shift mounts & derailer cable guides are the band/removable type, and the rest of the dimensions fit 1980s Japanese stuff, nothing odd.
The previous one I wrecked in 2022--bent the steerer tube, top tube, down tube, RIP. So everything comes off this, and parts from the wrecked bike go on. I'll keep a few bits, at least the derailers, shifters.

Not a great pic, but I rarely remember to take one before disassembly. The white sheet is a sewing machine cover, keeps the dust off.
>>
>>1993916
neat. are those suntour cyclone derailleurs? I have one of those cranks, the logo looks similar
>>
File: IMG_3903.jpg (183 KB, 1600x1066)
183 KB
183 KB JPG
>>1992580
>building a nice diy bike stand?
Does 'nice' mean 'looks good' or 'works'?
I'm gonna assume you think something like a Park stand is too expensive for what it is. There's two cheap ideas that I've seen, that I think are reasonable.

1st, if you have an exposed rafter (garage, porch, basement, etc), you can just use a piece of string. Either loop the string over, or use an eye bolt, etc. One at the saddle, one at the handlebars.
I think most people dislike this, because it's not absolutely fixed/your bike can swing a bit. Kind of the formal version of hooking the nose of your saddle over a tree branch.

2nd really cheap way is to make a tubing block, like what you'd use to hold tubes when building a frame. Tends to be some kind of hardwood, where you bore out the correct size hole (holesaw, auger, forstner bit), then saw the block in half & put a 'hinge' on it, usually a bit of leather. Then you clamp this block to/in something.
It's low-tech, but assumes you have some round tube on your bike (seatpost?) to put it on. Not my pic.

I used to ride with a guy, he had one of those basement screw jack pillars, and he made a block to fit the pillar, one to fit his seatpost, and used two wood clamps. There's a bit more to it, but you get the idea. He was 6'3", and the ergonomics were surprisingly good.
>>
>>1993930
leather flap was smart.
>>
>>1991676
jewwww white Chinese, the shit hole racist pedo American white pigs, experience Pearl Harbor again and be slaughtered and exterminated!

from japan
>>
>>1993916
Those shifters look caveman, what are they?
>>
>>1994336
what do you mean? they're just clamp on dt shifters. look like arx shifters i had once, but i'm sure they're probably cyclone or something based on the rd.
>>
>>1994355
They look way chunkier around the barrel then any other DT shifters I've seen, but that may be a quirk of the photo. I agree they're probably early Cyclone.
>>
>>1991728
This is a bogus claim. I use oxy ace but using oxy propane or literally any other oxy fuel setup gets you there. If I didnt happen to have the oxy ace setup I wouldnt have gone the ace route and would have opted for oxy propane instead because theres not a single reason not to. But alot of upsides, handling, safety, cost, sometimes even law.
So yeah, explain why oxy propane would be inferior for brazing. Protip: You cant.
>>
>>1991743
cut at the correct angle, use a half round file (they are 25 mm and 30 mm here) to get you close and a smaller half round or round file to get bang on. Other than that use anything, ive adopted a shaper and at another time a pantograph copy mill to make it faster and easier work but alwwys followed up with a hand file. Because you got to piss with the cock you have.
>>
>>1994388
>Because you got to piss with the cock you have.
kek
>>
The Paterek Manual.pdf
https://files.catbox.moe/itiykq.pdf

The Proteus Framebuilding Book.pdf
https://files.catbox.moe/o4d2qf.pdf

here's a bonus for you all
Joe Friel - The Cyclist Training Bible [Scan by yazper].pdf
https://files.catbox.moe/iiloff.pdf
>>
>>1994553
Thank you. I forgot framebuilding was a thing when I made this thread.
>>
>>1994554
I just recently remembered I had those books deep in my archive and need to share it, really interesting information even if you or I or anon never build a bike, there's some really deep topics discussed there
>>
File: Capture.png (130 KB, 1412x781)
130 KB
130 KB PNG
>>1994560
i got like 3gb of crap i've hoarded, but it was grabbed via automation, so there's a bunch of cringe titles sprinkled in. i'll rar it and upload it if anyone wants.
>>
oh the difference between bearingprotools press compared to chinkshit one
also wind-out puller such a nice thing to have
no hammering needed

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.