[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 20220615-DJI_0882-Edit.jpg (133 KB, 849x636)
133 KB
133 KB JPG
Why is every bridge built in the last 20 years a cable-stayed bridge? They're kind of soulless and boring.
>>
>>1988721
is that the tappan zee?
>>
>>1988724
No it's the Governor Mario M. Cuomo Bridge.
>>
>>1988721
I don't like them either, with a few exceptions

They're just a technological jump over previous bridge types that enable longer spans than truss/cantilever bridges and are cheaper than suspension bridges (although suspension can have a theoretical longer max. span). Also unlike truss and cantilever bridges there are fewer, if any, fracture critical members. I presume a cable stayed design uses far less steel than alternatives for their size.
>>
>>1988726
no such thing
>>
File: S O U L .jpg (199 KB, 1000x648)
199 KB
199 KB JPG
>every bridge built in the last 20 years a cable-stayed bridge
>tired pepe.jpg

9 times out of 10 we'll get some variant of concrete girder bridge.

But go on... preach about what you consider to be "soulless".
>>
>>1988721
They are very easy to calculate with a computer, look pretty in architecture drawings and are not as expensive to maintain as a full suspension bridge while being easier to build than a big arch.
>>
>>1988778
>concrete girder bridge
>posts an image of what is clearly some kind of grade-separation viaduct
>>
>>1988819
It's a concrete girder bridge over a waterway
>>
>>1988851
sooo, a grade separation viaduct?
>>
>>1989028
What in your mind separates a bridge and a viaduct? Be specific.
>>
>>1989074
viaduct are a subset of bridges. what makes them distinct from normal bridges is their repetition. viaducts have many, many near identical spans. there's also a mindset distinction: viaducts separate things, bridges connect things. take an elevated metro line for example. that will involve a large amount of repeated, near identical spans with the intent to separate the metro line from road traffic, foot traffic, and other obstactles below. that makes it a viaduct.
>>
you might even say that a bridge is just a flattened out bicycle wheel
>>
>>1989078
>bridges connect things
Like the opposite sides of a waterway?
>>
>>1990011
yes, now you're getting it!! A viaduct over the same waterway would be avoiding interference with the waterway, don't want your highway/railway/etc to have a grade crossing with a river!
>>
>>1990027
But you said viaducts separate things
>>
>>1990081
exactly, in this case the viaduct separates what it is carrying from the waterway below
>>
File: zoomers.png (450 KB, 786x834)
450 KB
450 KB PNG
>>1988726
I heard a zoomer unironically call it that the other day and I was at a loss for words
>>
>>1990213
I think I get it. The road bridge (connection) crosses the water viaduct (separation)
>>
File: Galloping-Gertie.jpg (14 KB, 400x267)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
>>1988721
>They're kind of soulless and boring.
You want soul and excitement?
>>
sovl coming through
>>
>>1988721
They're cheap, they're cheap, and they're cheap. Also, they have a bit of visible drama to them that arch bridges don't have without looking as busy as a truss bridge.
>>
>>1991999
nta but sure that could be fun
>>
>>1992038
is the lower structure from building the bridge or something else?
>>
>>1994371
it's the place where the shah asked the engineer and his family to stand during the first run of the bridge

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.