[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: G23-Performer29-Feature.jpg (160 KB, 1120x960)
160 KB
160 KB JPG
Why are bicycles seen as uncool?
>>
>>1988096
They're like model trains. Fine if you're into them but best to keep it to yourself
>>
>>1988096
Why are cars seen as uncool? Everybody I know hates cars.
>>
Why are things being uncool a bigger decision driver than things being personally enjoyable?
Why do people dislike questions being answered with questions?
>>
>>1988135
feeling cool is enjoyable
>>
>>1988136
And masturbation isn't cool, but people won't stop doing it.
>>
whoever you hang out with or what you view online makes you think they are uncool.
Me? I don't care.
>>1988136
go back to school
>>
>>1988096
I don't know. You tell me. I think bicycles are cool.

>>1988113
Because they're expensive polluting murder-machines.
>>
>>1988192
>Because they're expensive polluting murder-machines.
Oh, so it's like smoking. That makes sense.
>>
>>1988096
because of all of the cyclists that wear skin tight clothes in order to be aero
>>
It came as a devastating blow to me, when I first realized how low status bikes really are. I put all my eggs in the bike basket, hell, I learned how to bunny hop before I could walk.

When all my friends were putting posters of supercars on their bedroom walls, I had pictures of bikes and riders, all the legends of the sport, all the iconic machines. when my gran gave me money for driving lessons I bought a bike stand and some tools, when my dad asked me if I wanted a car after graduation, I didn't even respond, I just tapped the Specialized advert in the magazine I was reading, without looking up I could feel his disappointment.

The first time I pulled into the carpark of my job on my £3000 carbon fibre time trial special, one of the lads at the smoking hut called out 'Look, the cunts a cyclist!', and they all laughed, including the girls, nobody ever took me seriously after that, even when I switched the tyres out for GP 5000s.
>>
>>1988539
>having fr****s
normoids get out
>>
>>1988096
Because most people are uncritical retards that don't question the status quo and will accept whatever propogandized slop gets fed to them.
They think it's cool to waste away so much of their time in a cramped box they're forced to rely on to get anywhere over being able to get exercise and have the feeling of the wind blowing in your face.
Years of concentrated efforts to shift opinions has left a generational disease in the brain of the public psyche of the American, leaving them thinking that any way of getting around besides a car is strange and to be ostracized, and the built design of the environment reinforces it by making any other method of transit either absent or intentionally obtuse and uncomfortable to the average retard.
And because their experience with alternatives is either initially negative or outright nonexistent, they have no perspective to question the presumptions they've developed about it.
>>
>>1988539
not to sound condescending to them but they dont know better, what do you expect?
>>
>>1988096
Auto lobby propaganda.
>>
>>1988096
Bikes themselves are not uncool. What's uncool is the fucking faggot riders blocking traffic because they cant fucking ride on the sidewalk like a civilized human bean.
>>
>>1988096
Simply because they're slow and make you sweaty and smelly. Noone thinks motorcycles are uncool and they're just faster bikes
>>
>>1988113
waste of money
>>
>>1988539
Anon is right
>And Jesus said: Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.
>>
>>1988839
it's illegal to ride on the footpath
>>
>>1989129
It's not in southern hyperborea (north europe)
>>
>>1989335
Losers
>>
>>1988539
Is this pasta? Kek, should be.
>>
>>1989128
only 90s kids will get this
>>
>>1988113
you are in am echochamber retard
>>
Because motorbikes are cooler and have an engine.
>>
>>1988113
Cars are cool. Skill issue
>>
>>1988096
I think theyre really cool, anon
Cyclists on the other hand...
>>
Because a mass of uncool people started basedfacing over them. It's completely valid to start disliking something when it gets popular.
>>
>>1988096
they are?
ive seriously never heard anyone say this
maybe about types of bikes but never the concept of bikes as a whole
this must be american suburbia thinking where bikes are almost exclusively for people too young to drive or lycra wearing boomers
>>
My co-workers think I have a gambling problem because I don't own a car. All the people I grew up with conflate recreational riding with being forced to ride a bike because you're a loser and can't afford a car.
>>
Bikes are seen as juvenile because everyone gets into cars and motorbikes when they achieve the legal age for that
>>
ITT flyover land problems
>>
>>1992597
This
Bikes are kids toys, they are for children to larp as motorcyclists in the same way pedal cars are for them to larp as car drivers.

Don't get me wrong, I loved cycling as a kid, but i had a motorbike at 16 and a car at 17 and have never seen the need to revert to childish things.

Whenever i see an adult on a bike I know I'm looking at as tragic figure. Whether it's a maturity issue or a poverty issue, or both, it's just a sad sight to behold, a life that hasn't quite worked out as it should have, like a man in the park with a bottle in a brown paper bag, one of life's great losers.
>>
Here in Europe we don't have this problem. In some european regions bycicles enjoy cult status, like in Ferrara
>>
>>1992695
>put $10,000 dh ring into the bike pad on the tailgate of my pristine, showroom-quality 1982 F250 4x4 in Ford Blue
>drive to lift park
>have fun
i dont see the problem
>>
>>1988096
>>1992695
I've noticed this attitude mostly among poor people. Most black people will treat you like a toddler if you ride a bike on a regular basis for any reason. Why is that? I think it's because they're thinking purely in terms of status and money. If you ride a bike to work you must be broke, and if you ride a bike for fun, you must have no better entertainment available. A lot of people who think like this do so because they are desperate to prove that they AREN'T broke. It's probably even why so many people buy all the gear that makes you "look like a cyclist" just to go to work or take a 10 mile ride on the weekend. It shows they aren't poor. This line of thinking where you can't be well-off and enjoy simple pleasures is just one aspect of modern society that has led to people becoming absolute consumerist retards
>>
>>1992728
It makes sense when you consider the risks of interacting with police with the wrong skin color. White guy can get away wearing jeans and a t-shirt on a nice bicycle, or even a shit bicycle, no one will question that it's theirs, even if it's obviously the wrong size. Black guy has to be either wearing the latest skinsuit from Pas Normal Studios or like pic related, otherwise he's gambling with his life just going for a weekend ride.

Just go to /r/NameOfYourCityCycling/ and at least once a month someone will post a picture of a melanin person riding a bicycle deemed too nice for their shade of brown, with a caption like "saw this in the such-and-such district today, recognize it?" and if you point out the possibility that it might legally belong to the person riding it, enjoy your instaban for being "divisive"
>>
>>1992728
>>1992736
this is changing.
in ATL, a majority black city, bikes have recently become normalized for them . skateboarding, too. actually, skaters here are majority black now.
with bikes, you see black dudes on fredsleds and full kit, hipster builds and fixies, pant legs rolled up, the whole nine. over the last six-ish years until now, like half the riders are black. so it's probably only a decade away for the greater US black population.
and Ethiopia has a huge roadie scene, from what I gather.
>>
>>1992778
>black dudes on fredsleds and full kit
That's what I said though. Read my post again because you apparently didn't
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (132 KB, 1280x720)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
Oh nvm maybe anon doesn't know what Pas Normal Studios is. It's $200 jerseys. Black roadies have always gone overboard with the cycling gear because it confirms to non-blacks that they're Very Serious Cyclists and not just some n-word who should be shot 37 times when an acorn falls nearby.
>>
>>1992780
I'm saying they're not in any greater numbers than black dudes on regular or hipster stuff. same split as the white riders. you're saying they all wear kit to show they aren't poor but I was at a bar the other day that unbeknownst to me was the end point of an alleycat. the bar was packed and probably half black, and all the riders were just in normal or messenger style stuff. there weren't any lycra, or maybe a few but the majority was dressed like alleycat riders do, white and black

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.