[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.png (78 KB, 1229x1160)
78 KB
78 KB PNG
Confess your sins, /n/.
>>
i pity reply to shitty tertiary threads
>>
>>1985790
>>
>>1986113
"biking" gets through
>>
I mod 1chan.
>>
>>1986204
thanks bro, fixed
>>
I haven't had sex in 5 years
>>
>>1985790
I will use a taxi instead of public transport if I have to transfer 2 or more times to my destination
>>
File: 1708476237607054.jpg (41 KB, 700x700)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
i keep spending retard money to polish 90s mtbs
>>
bb been ticking for about 2 years now

>>1986113
Hey man you do you
>>
>>1986522
eh, that's fair
>>
File: i am a train choo choo.jpg (853 KB, 3024x4032)
853 KB
853 KB JPG
>>1986113
Honestly bretty cool that /n/iggers from all sorts of persuasions all get along: cyclists, plane spotters, urbanists, train autists.
>>
I post in /mtg/ having not lain hoof on a boat, let alone a ship
>>
>>1986522
I use taxis if I anticipate there being niggers on the train
>>
>>1985790
I used to not remove my bag when there was a lot of people in trains, busses and the subway, now I do It but before I'd be certain It wouldn't change anything so I wouldn't and I used to be scared of thieves too. Bag was packed btw.
>>
>>1985790
Im a roadie but hate every other roadie.
Like 95% of them are just pure assholes.
>>
My new Shimano HG chain was one link too short so I extended it with a SRAM link I had laying around
>>
>>1986745
I must be an asshole because I like roadies and I hate most other "tribes" of cyclists
>>
I only come here for the maritime and tractor threads, I dont care about bikes or urbanism
>>
I only come here for bicycles. I don't like urbanism and am neutral to boats, and tractors.
I don't like flying
>>
>>1985790
I own a bike but i've only ridden it twice.
I haven't used public transit in four years.
>>
>>1985790
I tell myself I'll bike to the store if I need to grab something quick or start commuting to work but I'm too afraid of the rush-hour drivers in my city plus the winter conditions to follow through with it
>>
I ride both a fixed gear with no real brakes AND a superpowered ebike that goes 50mph, the worse of both worlds, pissing off normie cyclists around me. And no helmet.
>>
I've been using the smallest gear for climbing because I thought it was the "easy" or first gear. I'm such a fucking retard. I kept wondering what are the larger gears for and such. I never felt this stupid in my life.
>>
I will refuse to cycle somewhere if I need to go uphill at all at any point. I live in a very flat city, but even before I moved here, cycling uphill was an unreasonable pile of shit.

>>1987307
Genuinely, and unironically, lmao
>>
>>1987307
that's hilarious. love it.
so, hill climbing must be super easy now that you're legs were built up from mashing the shit out of the hardest gear, though, right?
>>
>>1987307
lmao
>>
I don’t know why this board is under “Japanese culture”
>>
File: 1569541329045.jpg (33 KB, 460x437)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>1987381
>>1987398
I'm sorry. I don't know anything about cycling and gears. I kept researching but they always kept saying use the easiest gear without explicitly pointing which one is which.

>>1987396
yes. I kept thinking to myself, "Wow these cyclists must squat a shit ton to climb these hills and mountains!"
>>
>>1987425
Couldn't you just try them out on flat terrain? You didn't notice the difference in effort?
>>
>>1987307
your gearing system isn't numbered?
>>
>>1987427
Again, I'm really fucking retarded looking back at it.
"Wow how can these cyclists use the large gears? They must be really pedalling really fast!"

>>1987439
n-no?
>>
>>1987408
>bicycles
95% Shimano manufactured parts
>trains
highest ridership and coolest train variety country is Japan
>>
>>1985790
I occasionally disagree with the /n/ hivemind and jannies don't like it.
>>
>>1987307
Based retard
>>
>>1987408
/n/ for "noritetsu", btw :)
>>
I hate cyclists and urbanists. Scum of the transportation world in the same category as britbong rail unions.

Also the class 37 is an overrated pile of shite.
>>
I own five cars and they're all for fun
>>
>>1985790
I drive a car
>>
I farted in a bus
>>
I'm 32 and have never driven a car on my own before. At 26 I took 3-4 driving lessons, then took the test and got my license, and I never got in the driver's seat of a car since then. I am afraid to drive. I get everywhere with a combination of my bike and the subway in my area, and occasionally carpooing with people to the hobbies we share.

I'm absolutely humiliated and ashamed about this but I just have zero motivation whatsoever to get a car considering there isn't really much I would use it for and because of my limited social experiences, it would really just be a complete waste of initial cost plus gas plus insurance.
>>
>>1989829
>3-4 driving lessons, then took the test and got my license,
>I never got in the driver's seat of a car since
Good decision.
>>
>>1989850
no its not a good decision. i dont even know how to drive a car if i had to in an emergency or for any other reason. but obviously to regularly drive a car, i would need to own one, and because im such a loser there really isnt much reason for me TO own one.
>>
I ride the subway every weekday for work. I started fare evading on April 1, 2020 so I've been doing it for over 4 years. And I've never jumped over a faregate to do it, my main method is hanging around until a gate gets stuck open and then I walk through it pretending to scan my card, or going through behind people using the wide bicycle/luggage faregate since it stays open for a few seconds longer.

There are some times where I do pay, like when I have my bicycle with me, or if it's the weekend or a late weeknight ride after commute times because there will be less of a chance to get a stuck gate, or sometimes I do have to scan in and I'll just go to the next station and scan out to pay the minimum fare but then go back up onto the next train.

But I try to do whatever I can to make it look as inconspicuous as possible because even if the agent at the gate knows I'm doing it, I haven't gotten in trouble. I see the same agents every single day and wear the same thing every day so they could easily tell the cops at my home station what time to come in the morning/afternoon and that I fare evade every day and they could arrest me, but they haven't
>>
I don't really give a shit about train models and think most foamers are usually car driving boomers that only like autistically obsessing over trains but would protest like a nimby against more train lines (unless they were steam of course)
>>
File: E233_series.png (950 KB, 800x438)
950 KB
950 KB PNG
>>1985790
I despise all trains except commuter/metro EMUs and american psr doublestack megatrains. Steam trains are the worst offenders.
>>
>>1985790
I used to be a hardcore /o/tist, car and motorcycle. The last 10 years I've been a car-free, motorcycle-free, "oil-free" eco-radical urba/n/ist. I turned 34 this year and mid-life crisis is hitting hard, I want a motorcycle again. The Algorithm picked up on this and is finding ways to get me to convince myself to increase my budget until "fuck... if I'm going to buy a $15k motorcycle, I might as well get a car" and then I start car shopping, only to realize, I don't "need" a car. Cycle, repeat. I might end up actually buying a car
>>
>>1989966
a single car is useful especially if it's small, used and reliable, you can not feel bad about letting it sit for weeks for the few times you need it.
>>
>>1989967
I mean, you're not wrong but the times I would need it are so rare it would be a waste of space and resources. I live in a city where there's enough alternative transportation options that it's not a problem.
>>
I once tried to deal with a stretched seat tube collar on a 90’s giant iguana by using carbon assembly compound.
Like, you got the right seatpost, but no clamping keeps it solid. So even if I got a sleeve and narrower seatpost, it would never be the right size or grab correctly.
So I slipped the thing in there with the assembly compound on it, and then was never able to take it back out. And then that was just the end of that project.
>>
I was planning to get winter tires for my bicycle this year and cycle throughout winter
I got lazy and took the bus instead
>>
>>1985790
i like giant cassettes and tiny chainrings
gimmie a 52t to 22t any day i WILL make it to the top of any hill im not upset that it takes me all day because it took me almost no effort
>>
>>1985790
im a massive car truck and motorcycle fag as much as i agree they are a flawed concept and would actually rather be on a train or bike (as should we all rly) i just cant let them go and feel sad when i think that one day all the pretty vintage cars and bikes i grew up obsessed with will all be gone soon
im genuinely not proud of it but god damn are there some pretty and fascinating vehicles out there
/o/ used to be my main board lol
>>1986525
thats a blessing not a sin
90s mtbs are peak bike and anyone working to save them from scrap heaps is doing gods work
>>
File: 1712078447507695.jpg (66 KB, 700x704)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
I'm going to take my bike to the shop to get new bar tape. I've done my own the last ~10 times I needed new tape and it never comes out to my satisfaction. I give up. I'm just not good at this and I'd rather have my bar tape look good.
>>
File: IMG_0341.jpg (3.43 MB, 4032x3024)
3.43 MB
3.43 MB JPG
Wishame.
>>
>>1985790
I brake check every Toyota I see when I am riding my bicycle.
>>
>>1985790
i cant fix my flat tires I'm just gonna take it to the bike shop and get it fixed
>>
>>1989979
So it's just stuck in your anus forever?
>>
>>1985790
Forgive me father, for it has been seven years since I set foot on a bus.
>>
I cant ride in the drops without looking like quasimodo
>>
>>1990845
kek
>>
It's cloudy and gusting to 30mph today and I'm just going to not ride because I'd rather just sit inside and read books and drink gallons of shui xian wuyi oolong while wearing a big baggy hoodie and pajama pants. I know I could ride, and a harder man would, but I am not a hard man.

I might even open an app and pay obscene amounts of app ecosystem markup to bring me authentic southern-style buttermilk biscuits and white gravy (made by a Black-owned business so it cancels out the social harm).

Verification not required.
>>
I just tossed 5 bike tires. 2 were 2+decades old and had sidewall bubbles that scare me.
The other 3 I got used cheap.... and lost. 2 had sidewall cuts the tubes were trying to poke out off. Another had a bulge on the tread, which means delamination.
Maybe I could have rode 10-15mph and be okay but with the hills I go 30mph+ and I don't want to risk it. So into the trash they went.
It's going to pour today and I am going to just lift weights instead of ride.
>>
>>1989829
Sounds like you have nothing to be ashamed of. You passed a competency test and have a license and dont seem to want a car.

Dont feel bad about driving anxiety. Its entirely a function of miles behind the wheel. Once you do your first 25000 miles you stop feeling like its anything unusual.

Thats why they encourage kids in farm states to get their licences at 15. By the time theyre a senior in hs theyve got 25k of riding moms minivan around the town.
>>
>>1987307
this can't be real. can we see your bike?
>>
>>1985790
I stole my first bike.
>>
I really oughta get new tires, but I'm too much of a cheap bastard.
>>
>>1986623

Cycling is fine. Being a lycra warrior is not. It just so happens that 98% or those that are into cycling end up in the faggotry category.
>>
i time my morning walk so i can sniff the papergirls saddle when she's in the shop getting her papers, it's still warm and smalls of soap. once i arrived a few seconds later than usual and managed to get a quick sniff in, only to see a boy emerge from the shop and take the bike. i found out from the shopkeeper that the usual girl was sick and so her brother was doing her round.

I shouted at my wife when i got home i was so angry, i had to sniff her dirty knickers for several minutes just to flush the boys ass stench out of my nostrils.

am i going to hell?
>>
File: OIG (11).jpg (133 KB, 1024x1024)
133 KB
133 KB JPG
I like bicycles, but I treat the ones I own like appliances and disposables. I suck at wrenching, I can only do the most basic stuff, half of which involves zip ties, I don't bother with maintenance or cleaning other than airing tires back up and adding more lube to the chain grime, as a consequence I can't bring myself to ever buy anything actually nice because I fear I'll neglect it as well.
>>
>>1985790
I keep buying up ophraned bike wheels with no bikes to put them on
>>
>>1991808
>>am i going to hell?
You're already living there
>>
>>1985790
I don't believe induced demand is real.
If you build a bridge with 12 lanes between Ass-end-of-fuck-all and Nowheresville, Kansas, those 6 lanes each way won't magically fill up with people who don't need to go to either place. 50 lane freeways would literally fix traffic.
>>
>>1991993
We shouldn't make cagies comfortable, that's the whole point. If using a car is a pain the ass then more people will opt to alternatives.
>>
>>1991993
yeah, the demand already exists before a highway expansion project. expanding the road is getting it's capacity closer to the already existing demand
>>
bros, I think I hate cycling now
It's supposed to be freedom, but between the hills, heat, sweat, chafing and uncomfortableness I just really loathe it
>>
>>1992271
you're a weak little bitch. maybe you should take up ice skating or interpretive dance. something more your speed.
>>
>>1992273
btw i'm eating potato chips and have only ridden 12 miles this week
>>
>>1992273
I've been cycling daily since I was about 6 years old lil nigga
>>
I don't own a bike.
>>
>>1992273
Figure skaters are made of tougher stuff than you, much tougher.
>>
>>1992273
you've never actually met a professional dancer and it shows. even an amateur would break you in half
>>
ive been riding my road bike as my main form of transportation for years, maybe 8 at this point, and i still dont know jack shit about repairing it or anything else. pretty much the only maintenance i do is oiling the chain and repairing flats. i also changed the cassette once. but anything else i would have no clue how to fix, like any cable repairs, or deraileur, or anything else.

ive been lucky in that ive really never had to do any big repairs on it. my rear deraileur cable did snap a year ago and took it to my local bike shop. but i dont really have a way to learn repairs anyway, since i only own this one bike.
>>
I used to be a big fan of vintage bikes, liked to "underbike," and posed as a retrogrouch. Turns out I was really just a poor fox and fancy modern bikes are delicious grapes.
>>
>>1985790
i like cars
>>
I "invested" in a quite expensive dynamo setup with all Son, but I don't really enjoy using it. My old shimano+b&m setup worked perfectly fine and seeing those cheap but dependable parts light my way made me feel the type of warmth I am afraid the Son setup may never bring. In general I don't really like riding my new expensive things, I always feel much more at home on my older and less luxurious equipment.
>>
>>1985790
I’m three years into an urban planning degree, am I fucked career-wise?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.