[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 20240225.jpg (50 KB, 474x266)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
Use less energy for the same movement please.
https://solar.lowtechmagazine.com/2023/02/can-we-make-bicycles-sustainable-again
We can do it!
>>
>>1981632
Bicycles run on carbs like donuts. Haha.
>>
steelchads keep winning
>>
Nice saddle tilt psycho
>>
>>1981641
Wheres my carbon sled?
>>
How do they come up with numbers like 'In comparison, the average lifetime of a personal bike in France' ?
I've put in excess of 100k km on one specific frame over the years and while many of the non-wear components eventually failed and needed replacing I see no indication to as why it wouldn't handle doing the same distance again unless a cager finally gets it or the frame cracks unexpectedly.
Isn't what they are reporting, if it is true, not a problem of the bicycle but the attitude of the owner, in this case engaging in motorized transport while owning a bicycle, thus rarely ever using the bicycle and to make matters worse disposing of items well before they have provided just a fraction of their potential use ?
Reminds me of the bikes I see locked up in my area, some.of them for months, if not years by now, clearly a sign someone just abandoned a perfectly working bicycle. Eventually it will be removed and by then it will be too late to provide someone with a working bycicle but (((they))) wouldn't do that anyways. They'll consider it trash and dispose of it in a landfill.
>>
>>1981641
I've done the math in uni once and while I don't remember I must say I suspect the numbers provided here ignore the extra nutrition the cyclist consumes. In fact the emissions associated with the production of the extra nutrition needed, assuming the average western diet, quickly catches up to the initial investment of producing the extra parts needed: Battery, motor, charger, control unit.
Electric motorcycles are still shit and gay IMO. But the fact remains that they are environmentally more friendly since a unit of energy in human nutrition is emission intensive and the human organism is pretty inefficient in terms of mechanical work. Meanwhile the whole well to wheel (or well to bottom bracket) chain for an electric system is very efficient and not very emissions intensive. It also scales far better.
But it is a theoretical non issue. Not using a murdercage and opting for the most efficient converter of energy to forward momentum at a given speed, the bicycle, just slashes emissions. The difference between electric motorcycles and bicycles is marginal in comparison.
Note: I have no knowledge let alone experience regarding the lifetime of the electric bits on an electric motorcycle and I am assuming the same lifetime as a bicycle has, which is very obviously wrong and as such the initial investment would have to be repeated several times.
>>
>>1981641
>>1981863
More importantly, what is this carbon fiber cargo e-bike they're speaking of? I've never heard of one. They're all steel or aluminium.
>>
File: darmstadt.jpg (112 KB, 680x400)
112 KB
112 KB JPG
>>1981907
Well it doesn't count because its a one off botched Harry vs Larry with some prefabbed CFRP tubes swapped in for aluminium bits but ehh...
>>
>>1981641
Steelpoors have to compare their bikes to a car because they all use cars to get around anyway and bikes are just a cool thing they saw this NJB video about on the youtubes

>>1981863
Doesn't count because it's not "practical" unless it weighs at least 80 pounds and is completely useless, just urbanism things
>>
>>1981952
Is that you, carbonchud?
>>
File: foresterdidnothingwrong.jpg (357 KB, 998x1344)
357 KB
357 KB JPG
>>1981986
That's me. Today I caused homelessness by existing, later on I plan on riding my judgmental "not a $5000 replica of a $200 dutch piece of shit" bike not on the sidewalk and not in a bike lane either. You might say I don't even know what's in my own interests. They don't have me in amsterdam that's for sure. Though I may ride my judgmental carbon chud bike ON amsterdam.
>>
>>1981906
>human nutrition is emission intensiv
lol what
>>
>>1982005
As an aluminerd I can relate.
>>
>>1981641
This is the type of chart that How to Lie with Statistics warns about. Even the most polluting frame has orders of magnitudes less emissions than a car, yet at a glance it looks as though riding a shared aluminum bicycle is basically like owning a car. I usually like the articles this guy writes, but this one is just harmful
>>
>>1981632
>>1981634
Add lights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJzk1XN3zDs
>>
>>1981641
>20000km
>lifecycle
You buy a new bike every 2 years?
>>
>>1982097
Not sure about you, but I fart a lot.
>>
>>1981947
Does that make the bike better?
>>
>>1983011
Better than a new car every 5 years...
>>
>>1981632
>How to make bicycles sustainable again?
Make proper infrastructure for them. Heavily punish cagies and motorcycles from not respecting the cyclist.
>>
>>1981641
Ironchads we are still unscathed.
>>
File: 0 - Copy.jpg (422 KB, 921x1229)
422 KB
422 KB JPG
>>1981641
i have like 100000km on my current bike which is aluminum, my previous bike was also aluminum but the frame cracked around 50000km
>>1981906
i ran the numbers and performed several real world tests, my efficiency is about 15 miles per taco in eco mode and 10 miles per taco in sport mode
>>
>>1981641
>20000km
I do more than that commuting to work each year and i'm a casual. my aluminium frame should be at 150k-200k by now. Surely anybody who uses their bike to get around will reach the level where 'carbon emissions per km' are negligable?
>>
>>1986734
people throw their walmart bikes away when they get a little old and out of tune
>>
File: 5540.jpg (157 KB, 1179x1457)
157 KB
157 KB JPG
>>1981632
fuck this. i want to live ina world where EVERYONE has 50 times more per capita energy than today.
>>
>>1981632
we just need to go back to the simplicity of 90s mtbs
>>
I just like cycling and don't care about ESG and DEI
>>
remove more humans
>>
the most sustainable thing you can do is keep using old shit instead of constantly buying new

it's so fucking obvious
>>
>>1989280
based globohomo acronym disliker
>>
>>1981632
https://youtu.be/jgacSmLBSIQ
>>
File: 2024.jpg (42 KB, 544x420)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>1981632
make it steel

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.