[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

Why are you destroying the environment with your discount bargain bin chinese carbon wheels with no warranty, when you could be saving the environment with the revolutionary new FusionFiberâ„¢ that come with a lifetime, no questions asked replacement coverage for the original owner? Sure it costs about 3x as much but think of the moral superiority it gets you

The only problem is it's made in Utah which is full of crazy people, which kinda negates the moral superiority, I'd almost rather send money directly to the CCP at that point

Also discuss wheels and stuff
>>
I ride on crabon bontrager wheels, Aeolus Elite 35 TLR Disc. They are relative cheap and I liek them. Cannot go to higher sidewalls due to living next to the coast and fierce winds would make 50mm rims or something hard te handle.
>>
>>1980775
I almost went for those when the trek shop guy shilled me on them but I found a rumor the hubs might be DT Swiss which skeeved me out so now I have Zipp 303S which I know some people complain about (hub wise) but they've been good to me so far, hubs are definitely a step up from the mavic garbage I was riding on before
>>
>>1980778
Why be scared of dt swiss hubs? That are good hubs, the hubs seems fine to me.
>>
>>1980837
The EXP issue. Yeah I know, "they fixed it", I'd still give it another 10 years. The whole point of DT swiss is it's boring and it "just werx", so when it turns exciting and unreliable, it's natural to wait a while
>>
>>1980769
Shill.
I put my wheels together from a random hoop, as long as it has some life left in it, any hub and a number of spokes as long as they are roughly the same length. Use tape on it. Works fine. Stop obsessing about literally everything.
>>
>>1980842
Wa la
>>
tubeless = faggot
>>
Currently enjoying wheel building. Anyone used recent mavic open pro rims(made in romania)? Heard on the internets they aren't what they used to be but I saw ebay has a decent deal.
Been running older mavic rims on most of my bikes and enjoy them.

I have a 1st gen mavic 28hole front hub and another campy rear 28 that I want to lace up.
>>
>>1980930
I didn't know mavic even sold replacement parts anymore let alone having an actual line of rims they sell to builders. I thought that stuff ended years ago
>>
>>1980931
I have never ridden on their "system" wheels like ksyriums/aksiums. Somehow all my rims are older like cxp 22's, ma-40's, ma-3, reflex and for mtb's 717's, 819, and others.

I think it's because my road stuff is pre 2000ish and the mtb stuff came from OEM's. I try to avoid the proprietary wheel systems.

My old hub is a mavic 500 hub from back when they built a groupset. One of my mom's road bikes still has mavic RD and some other old parts.
>>
File: foresterdidnothingwrong.jpg (357 KB, 998x1344)
357 KB
357 KB JPG
>>1980936
Whoa that's crazy. I've literally never seen a mavic anything other than wheels and wheel components. What's the shifting like?
>>
>>1980930
that's cool. I really want to learn. Been putting it off until i can find a used park truing stand cheaply and just learning truing with zip ties, but it seems like that grail purchase is never really going to happen, and custom wheels would really elevate my shit.

I think most people go for H Plus Son rims now for custom builds but for some reason or another i just don't like their design/vibe.
I'd also be looking into DT Swiss.
Also, Alex & Sunringle if they're a lot cheaper.

You may have tried this already but a visit to every LBS may turn up some NOS rims squirelled away which are very cheap and maybe even exotic, like, ambrosio or campy or something. I also think there isn't really any deterioration that happens over time for old rims so they'd be just as good to build with, maybe that's wrong though.
>>
>>1980961
mavic shifting was always just a meme, they never broke through into the market properly.

They had an electronic groupset like 30 years ago though lol
>>
File: want.jpg (434 KB, 2026x1232)
434 KB
434 KB JPG
Time specs my wheels on their ADH complete bikes, my post-purchase rationalization is complete
>>
>>1980961
Honestly the bike with the old mavic shifter has been sitting for.... 20 years. Mom hasn't been riding much since I was born 30 years ago and it's got tubulars which need some love.

Would be a good time to clean them up and take a look. I know it's DT shifter with 7 or 8 speeds. Could be index but probably friction.

>>1980967
>Been putting it off until i can find a used park truing stand cheaply and just learning truing with zip ties, but it seems like that grail purchase is never really going to happen, and custom wheels would really elevate my shit.
I just use an ancient truing stand with threaded adjusters for side to side truing and a place for vertical. I am not sure where the old dishing tool is, but I found the front could be done just in the fork by eyeing the center of the rim and the brake caliper bolt.
Good point on the LBS. I have a co-op near me I need to hit even just to see if anything neat catches my eye.
Might just try the mavic rims for now. Would go sun ringle but these old hubs are 28hole which is less common for cheaper rims it seems.
The wheel I just laced up has an at least 20 year old rim and 40 year old hub(shimano 600).
>>
>>1980974
>it's always Time to take a Look at those Zippy wheels
>>
I have a 16" folding bike. Is there any benefits of using carbon wheels instead of alloy?
>>
File: TM-1_005.jpg (27 KB, 600x401)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>paying 3 grand for wheels because muh warranty and it says "BONTRAGER" on the side
Just learn to lace a wheel yourself, dipshits. It's not that hard. $300 for two farsports rims+$150 for spokes+whatever you want to spend on hubs will get you something equivalent to a wheelset that would cost three times as much from a big brand.
>>
>>1981220
>just buy a fuck ton of expensive single-use tools just to impress a bunch of MGTOW DIY cultists on the internet
I live in a <450 square foot apartment but I'm happy for you that you have the space for all that stuff. space is money too, as I've tried to get my friends and family to understand when they send me gifts I didn't ask for
>>
>>1981222
>pod-dweller confused and frightened by the concept of "drawers"
oof
>>
>>1981224
>mentally ill hoarder confused and frightened by the concept of "not wanting to live in a collyer mansion"
yep
>>
File: 1684091599473883.jpg (190 KB, 1300x965)
190 KB
190 KB JPG
>>1981225
>owning useful things makes you a hoarder
Be real, your "450 square foot apartment" is actually a refrigerator box, isn't it?
>>
File: hoarder.jpg (308 KB, 1878x638)
308 KB
308 KB JPG
>>1981226
you're the guy who posted this thread and then got defensive when people called you a freak and claimed to have 20 stolen frames neatly stacked in individual boxes aren't you
>>
File: (You).jpg (389 KB, 2698x996)
389 KB
389 KB JPG
100% the same guy, same writing style and everything
>>
>>1981230
Instantly going full-schizo isn't helping your "I'm not homeless" case.
>>
>>1981231
you're not even trying to deny it because you're so invested in the mission of trying to convince people that it's totally normal to be surrounded by dumpster dive salvage parts and random tools that might come in handy at some point (you never know!)
>>
>>1981232
meds
>>
>>1981233
already took 'em, you?
>>
>>1981234
*more* meds
>>
>>1981235
I've got some extra but I don't think I've got the kind you need
>>
is there a good book on wheelbuilding? older is fine. i don't like watching youtube videos for educational purposes.
>>
>>1981238
It doesn't need a whole book m8. IMO videos are best for hands-on stuff but there's this I guess:

https://www.parktool.com/en-us/blog/repair-help/how-to-build-a-wheel
>>
File: 20240220_230752.jpg (3.9 MB, 4080x3060)
3.9 MB
3.9 MB JPG
>>1981238
Just read sheldon browns website, particularly the wheel build page.
I did my first front wheel doing that. I have the park tool gauge, but first use my ears to get them close via plucking.

Luckily the clement tire came out to 23mm wide when inflated. Was worried it was going to pull a continental and come out as 21 or something smaller. Kinda wished I got more on that ebay sale for 10usd a tire.
Will do the rear once my spokes and nipples come in.
>>
>>1981238
There's like ONE.

https://vdocuments.mx/jobst-brandt-the-bicycle-wheel.html?page=2
>>
File: Capture.png (318 KB, 1078x1295)
318 KB
318 KB PNG
good buy? think that the conversion tables for chink meters are good?
>>
File: 1694693084911290.png (266 KB, 554x473)
266 KB
266 KB PNG
>>1981299
Why would you buy nice rims only to instantly gamble them on a chink spoke tension meter just to save a few bucks?
>>
>>1981308
nta but I thought the general consensus here is you don't need anything to build a wheel other than some ali express rims, coat hangers, dumpster dived hubs, a swiss army knife, some glue, and a hammer?
>>
>>1981228
I'm decently certain he's also the guy who made the thread about taking 'abandoned' bikes.
>>
>>1981309
Farsports is an actual good brand that happens to sell on aliexpress. To my knowledge there aren't chinkspokes or chinkhubs or chinktensionmeters that have a genuinely good reputation relative to western brands like Farsports.
>>
>>1981311
I swear this is the most mentallly-ill board on this entire website.
>>
File: 1705808632097569.png (147 KB, 444x444)
147 KB
147 KB PNG
>>1981308
the dt swiss one is a grand and the cheapo park tool one is dogshit
>>
>>1981313
You haven't been to most of the boards then. Sometimes you at least find helpful people here. Most other boards it's just shit
>>
>>1981314
The park tool one is what everyone uses, you don't need to be THAT precise.
>>
>>1981314
eh the park tool one is fine. I use it just to get me in the ballpark
>>
>>1981316
>>1981317
>100 yuro
>plastic bushing instead of a bearing
never buying park jew
>>
>>1981313
>I swear this is the most mentallly-ill board on this entire website.
I think it's just a handful of loons that post a lot.

But back to the tool discussion. How many anons here actually build a wheel often enough for getting a truing stand and tension meter to be a worthwhile investment. I've never had to replace a wheel in my life.
>>
>>1981319
I'm ocd about keeping shit true and evenly tensioned so I use it a lot.
>>
>>1981319
>>1981320
Also a shop will probably charge you roughly the price of the tension meter to do a rim swap anyway so if you ever fuck up a rim and are in the mood to acquire new skills there's little financial reason not to. You can even skip the truing stand and use zipties, though the stand is better.
>>
>>1981319
Building wheels is fun. If I cared about worthwhile investments I wouldn't be posting here.
>>
>>1981320
I've needed to true a wheel exactly once and it was because my bike got run over by a car, wtf are you doing with your wheels that this is a recurring need?
>>
>>1981321
>so if you ever fuck up a rim
This doesn't happen very often though. And in regard to keeping your wheel tension even: a well built wheel keeps even tension for a very long time. Unless you're putting it through extreme use (DH or something like that) the only other explanation is that you have chinesium parts or are doing incredibly poor work.
>>
File: new wheels.jpg (1.29 MB, 2560x1440)
1.29 MB
1.29 MB JPG
>>1980769
i just get the custom-builts from Profile. the Sun-Ringle hoops are bredy gud and the Profile Elite hubs are second-to-none. i also have another set from them on 36 spoke 26 inch Sun MTX hoops for my dj bike. functionally indestructible!
>>
>>1981327
>EHHH AS LONG AS IT'S NOT RUBBING IT'S TRUE ENOUGH
this is your mind on dick brakes
>>
>>1981471
it's actually one of the best parts of disk brakes on mtb. Once you stripped a nipp and realise the factory wheels are swiss cheese there isn't much you can do but damage control.
>>
>>1981327
>several years ago
>$600 wheelset from cuntrager
>just slap em on and assume they're good as-is because I paid fucking $600 after all
>after a while notice that every few rides the rear brake needed to be recentered juuuust a hair and always in the same direction
>direct mount so the caliper wasn't moving
>nothing damaged or bent
>couldn't figure out wtf was happening
>one day notice that *all* the nds spokes were loose and the wheel had been slowly detensioning
>"If it's loose that means it wasn't tight enough to begin with" t. calvin
>increase tension, re-true and dish, everything good to go from then out
>>
>>1981472
sounds like a skill issue
>>
>>1981475
Yeah, the OEM's choice of wheels were bad. When/if it gets bad enough I will end up getting sun ringle mtx 33 or 39's and relace the wheel.
>>
Is there a point in buying higher priced innertubes? Should I continue to buy the cheapest I can find.
>>
>>1981649
I go by goals. If I want to be fast on a road bike and go for marginal gains a tpu tube, tubular, or tubeless is the route.

If I am going for DJ/DH with a tube then a thick DH rated tube is the route.

If I am "just riding around" then cheapest is fine. I always seem to have spares laying around and patch kits so they seem to last a while. Thus getting a nice tube for higher performance can be worthwhile as well.
>>
>>1981473
Thank you for anecdotally confirming that well built wheels just work.

>>1981471
I'm sorry about your fucked up autism brain anon. Please understand that not everything in life is about big bike pushing the disc brake agenda.

>>1981649
More expensive ones tend to hold air better. Not having to regularly top up is worth it imo.
>>
>>1981220

Bought a set of bonteager wheels last year and they replaced them no questions asked because one of as warped. I’ll buy them any day of the week
>>
>>1981324
>>1981327
It's usually some combination of lardass, garbage roads and cheap equipments, plus possible hucking questionable gaps.

A fat rider on an action packed trip to detroit can reasonably expect to true even strong wheels.
>>
>>1981649
>>1981677
Sealant in my tubes means not topping up anymore.
>>
>>1982599
Were these alloy or carbon? How did it warp? Warranties are great but warranties you never have to use are even better
>>
File: hammy.jpg (250 KB, 1748x1048)
250 KB
250 KB JPG
Is it ogre for western wheel manufacturers? Was the dubai thing the last straw?
>>
>>1983898
Piss off chinkshill
>>
>>1983903
Excuse you, it's Chang
>>
tandems come with heavy duty wheels right? worth buying a cheap $40 tandem for some bombproof 26" wheels for my commuter?
>>
File: download (4).jpg (8 KB, 318x159)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
Are carbon clinchers worth it? I feel like in the next 10 years I could probably cop a 1400g pair on the cheap.
>>
>>1983936
You again. It might help if you shared a picture of your gay little tandem fuck boy
>>
>>1983945
legacy brakes means legacy rims
don't mix and match
>>
>>1983946
i wasn't thinking of a specific one, i just see random ones pop up all the time locally for <$50 and they always seem to have those heavy duty 35 spoke rims on them
>>
>>1983945
I wouldn't, but I don't race.
If you do inspect and check the brake wear for concavity.
Oh, and you need brake pads for carbon rims.

Interestingly enough I found out that a decade+ago shimano dura ace wheels were aluminum brake track with a carbon bond.
>>
>saving the environment
>clearcuts forests
>paves over forests
>builds apartments
>for refugees
>>
File: 1000007073.jpg (36 KB, 736x1177)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
>>1983956
Well if it has nice wheels depends on the bike, there's plenty of shitty tandems out there. But it's $40 my dude, is that really so much money you need advice?

$40 for even a normal, decent-tier wheelset is a good price. $40 for an entire tandem is a no brainer. Buy the thing, yoink the wheels, strip the components & sell, chuck the frame. Or turn it into a futon or something idk

You should share some of the tandems you see, nerds here cane easily tell you which would be the best.
>>
File: 111+116.jpg (868 KB, 2800x2000)
868 KB
868 KB JPG
I forgot this thread existed, and have only posted in 'the other' wheel thread.

>>1981238
>is there a good book on wheelbuilding?
Someone else mentioned the Jobst Brandt book. It's short, and to the point. Good to read through once, and take away the distilled "this stuff matters, this stuff doesn't".
After that, the practice is the same as elsewhere, so when you forget stuff (because you don't build a set of wheels everyday), you can just reference Sheldon, etc. Both of those have good, clear text & diagrams.

The one that was best for me was the Roger Musson wheelbuilding book. Mostly because it introduced me to a different kind of truing stand, which I really get a long with. Pic is an excerpt, showing the style.
One of the things that really put me off when I was starting was "buying a truing stand". Turns out it's quite cheap to build a versatile one.

>>1981314
WheelFanatyk sells something that is damn near identical to what's in the Jobst book, $300 or so for one w/ a Mitutoyo dial indicator. Easy to hold, and use, and reason about. I'd say it's hard to do better than that.

>>1983956
>heavy duty 35 spoke rims
Press 'F' for real niggas who never learned to count.
>>
File: IMG_20240314_162531.jpg (1.24 MB, 2320x1305)
1.24 MB
1.24 MB JPG
chink tension meter has arrive
40 € for the thing and 60 € for a mitutoyo dial
i get the absolute tension from the tone of the spoke and balance the spokes the tool
>>
Tg/ tire general : just post your tires review brothers
Wg/ wheel general: weird meta drama
>>
>>1983958
>$1000 for less weight and 0.1mph extra speed in exchange for shitty brakes and forever looking like a tryhard lycranigger
meh

>on the cheap
Prices never go down m8, unless you mean used. Get some chink wheels (from a real brand) before they go mainstream enough that they can jack their prices up to Zipp levels.
https://www.pandapodium.cc/product/9velo-rv55l-road-rim-brake-wheelset/
>>
what's with youtube being COMPLETELY overrun with shilling for chinese wheels

you can't even find a video on campy or shimano wheels anymore, let alone zipp or dt swiss, what the hell is going on
>>
>>1986672
Biketubers would do anything for a few bucks
>>
what do we think of the new i9 solix hubs? is american made bike stuff back on the menu or is it too little too late?
>>
>>1981319
i bought some used shitty spin doctor stand for like 20 bucks, it's not great but it's infinitely better than trying to true a wheel in a frame with zip ties. i have never built a wheel before and i'm glad i bought it.
>>
>>1989339
>is american made bike stuff back on the menu or is it too little too late?
it never left
>>
>>1989476
there is certainly a niche market of people with disposable income who performatively purchase heavy, steampunk-esque, legacy technology, nostalgia-fueled "made in USA" stuff as high status bling objects to flex on the "stupid walmart poors" and their "flimsy china crap", for instance the chris king fans and their expensive bike jewelry, but I mean, is there really a significant market of consumers who buy made in USA stuff because it's objectively good, and not as a social statement?
>>
>>1989505
Well I'd say Chris King stuff is "objectively good". A lot of folks additionally like buying made in the US goods because they like to support US businesses.
>>
>>1989510
good compared to low end stuff that comes on generic budget builds sure, but for the price they ask it's fair to ask what they offer, can you really justify it against the best of the best? it seems to me you're basically agreeing with me here and saying you're buying the stuff as a social statement. if the exact same thing were made in a developing country in asia and prices were the same, you wouldn't be so quick to defend it
>>
>>1989513
I think there's a lot at play here, but I think I get where you're coming from. Specifically, I personally think King headsets are some of the best, if not THE best, out there. If a company is Asia had the history of innovation and in-house manufacturing that King does, I think I'd feel the same way, but that's obviously speculation. One of my bikes has a White Industries headset on it, and they're not really anything special. Just Enduro bearings that drop into cups that they machined. So I don't know - why did I choose to buy it instead of something cheaper? Is it still a "social statement" or a "flex" if nobody can really tell what the part is? Did the hip cycling media influence me? Do I want to support US companies? Maybe a little bit of all of those.
>>
>>1989516
Since when has a headset actually made a difference in anything other than weight? Literally the most inconsequential part of a bike as long as it works.

>in house manufacturing
most major asian companies do that, just in taiwan
>>
>>1980930
Had an open pro disc crack when I hit a speed bump at like 8 mph. Some of that is on me, but I replaced it with a DT something or other and haven't had any issues since.
>>
>>1980769
Where can I get cheap 650b rims with rim brake tracks? Can't find anything but velo orange type shit.
>>
>>1989568
yeah, I've never gotten that. I've never had a headset give me any trouble. I get that it CAN happen, but hub bearings spin thousands of rmps per ride, same with BBs. headsets turn a few degrees one way, then a few degrees the other way. they never once make even one full rpm. when you get your bike, check that it's not loose or binding. I've never had one go bad on me, ever.

if you need a new one, get a dia compe or whatever
>>
>>1989568
it's cool that King makes their own bearings though, i don't know of any other company that does that. you're right, not much is asked of headsets, but i was just citing an example.
>>
>>1989505
In the wheel industry the chinese have been catching up fast. I suspect industry 9, phil wood, and other brands still make products that are good enough, but for value far east will always win. For other components the americans or euros do make better products that just last longer.
>>
>>1989505
Most Chris King headsets that i've seen over the past 15 years have been on high end custom road builds.

Often alongside whatever is/was the current dura ace.
You think you have a rational position but it's really just 'poor'.
Those bikes are nicer than anything you can even dream of.
Put yourself in the shoes of someone who just bought a $3000 frame and is about to spend another 6k on parts.

Personally I think Chris King is garish with its shouty logos and awful colours.
Thomson also is ugly.
>>
>>1989623
I've had a fork race cartridge bearing go bad on me, I think rain got through the seal and I hung it up on the wall by the front wheel while it was still wet, which I imagine put some unusual stresses on the seals, I guess. probably user error

>>1989639
>Put yourself in the shoes of someone who just bought a $3000 frame and is about to spend another 6k on parts.
"I don't know much about this stuff but I want the best and if I spend money on it, it must mean I got the best, right?

I get it, it's reassuring to people who don't have time to analyze every product out there, nor would they, since their "builder" does that, but I think you've gone pretty far from the original question which was, what does CK offer, that makes it a credible competitor to the best of the best. remember this is a wheels thread, as others have mentioned headsets simply aren't that exciting, from a technology perspective, so this conversation should be presumed to be about hubs
>>
File: ss.png (180 KB, 1360x768)
180 KB
180 KB PNG
i want to build a truing stand on the cheap. can i just use dial indicators? they're always at the flea market in old machinist's toolboxes, available for like a buck each.
>>
File: TS-2Di_0324_009-fade.jpg (390 KB, 900x780)
390 KB
390 KB JPG
>>1989655
yeah, it's helpful if they have a wheel on the tip, or at least some low friction material so you're not just dragging steel across the rim. i'd worked in a shop for 16 years and never used the Park dials until recently and they're pretty cool. Definitely a luxury, but it's cool to see it measured rather than just looking at the gap between the rim and the arm.
>>
>>1989655
Sure. my unbranded truing stand(which is so old no thru axle wheels fit) just has threaded adjusters for side to side play, and a plate for in/out play.
>>
File: disc_exp_01.jpg (75 KB, 500x611)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
What do we think of gokiso? I already have a high stiffness shaft but my nuts aren't so spherical anymore
>>
Is there a rule of thumb when buying rims? I'm looking for an inexpensive upgrade to my chink rims (622*17c) for my gravel bike.
>>
>>1991688
If it's japanese it should be okay.
>>1991967
sun ringle stuff is old and works.
Dt swiss is nice and expensive
velocity is good
mavic stuff supposedly isn't as good as it used to be
chink rims are meta, specifically carbon ones shilled by youtubers.
Don't get a super wide rim when you plan on running narrow tires. Don't go low spoke count unless you go tall strong rim or high spoke tension.
Used wheels are the best deal if you are going rim brake. Fork disk you can probably find new rims on sale.
>>
>>1991972
>chink rims are meta, specifically carbon ones shilled by youtubers.
carbon rims seem nice but too expensive for me at the moment.
Are the chink ones any good?
>>
File: corima.png (3.98 MB, 2116x1188)
3.98 MB
3.98 MB PNG
>>1993026
Does anyone actually by non-chinese carbon rims for DIY? What would be the point of stand-alone rims on a high end, cost-no-object wheelset? All the high end stuff is part of a complete system now.
>>
File: DSCN2507.jpg (800 KB, 1536x1152)
800 KB
800 KB JPG
>>1991688
I've been running a pair of Gokiso climber hubs for a couple of years. They do what is claimed. The hub body suspension occasionally makes the bike feel a little squidgy (bumps in road mid corner). They are a niche product and priced accordingly but they are a solid, honest product.

>>1993042
Stand alone rims laced to Gokiso hubs. Flies below radar.
>>
File: flamesguy.png (388 KB, 908x252)
388 KB
388 KB PNG
>>1993056
Mogs every wheel ever posted here. Are you panasonic flames anon? The skewer and QR lever look familiar and you both have demonstrated an interest in slightly weird, very Japanese, very "yes I do have a lot of money but that's not important right now" bike products.

Rhetorical question I'm 100% certain you are. I have also managed to geolocate pretty Japanese girls using only the reflections in their pupils but don't worry I'm not crazy. Ok I am crazy. But in a good way.
>>
>>1993042
>Does anyone actually by non-chinese carbon rims for DIY?
I see. I'm all new to this. Are there non-carbon alternatives out there? chink or not and won't cost me an arm and a leg.
>>
Avoid Chinese at all cost. Why? I like dogs, they're the white man's companion.
>>
>>1993242

There are plenty of aluminium rim suppliers: Ambrosio, Araya, ... , Nisi, ...
Obvs. list limited to what I know but they are out there.

NOS rims are also out there, maybe better to find a local shop when buying NOS (or lightly used), float glass windows are useful for checking rim trueness and that's not a part of Amazon's plan. If you go slightly outlandish (NOS tubular rims for example) then you can pick up classic kit for twenty or thirty dollars a pair (more work on the tyre side but hey...). It's all out there man...
>>
>>1993262
Make sure you avoid DT Swiss too. Stick with wheels from the whitest countries, like the United States and Taiwan
>>
>>1993268
>White
>Estados Unidos

Hahaha
>>
>>1993060
Standard 9000 skewers but yeah, the background does look suspiciously similar in both images. I'm lucky that local(ish) product is top stuff,
>>
>>1993280
And -- forgot to sat thanks for the mogs bit.
>>
I have Trek Aeolus elite 50s on my bike, my wheel cracked a few weeks ago because I hit a pothole and scratched the sides and it developed into a 3 inch crack. They replaced it for free. Trek is pretty based honestly, they have reasonable warranties on a lot of their parts which is nice.
>>
>>1993355
Trek support makes it really hard not to like their shit. It's such a basic bitch brand and I'm too much of a hipster for that, but knowing I don't have to worry about the stuff I buy from them is awfully compelling.
>>
>>1993366
A lot of brands have crash replacement
>>
>>1993371
Yeah and Trek's isn't actually the best in the business, but it's better than some, and it's nice to be able to just walk to the Trek shop and get it taken care of right there.

Unlike say Mavic where you hunt for a Mavic AD and they call Mavic Americas and Mavic Americas calls Mavic in France and six weeks later Mavic in France gets back to Mavic Americas who gets back to your AD who tells you to fuck off because it's user error.
>>
>>1980769
so the absolute mouthbreather that shipped my bike torqued down the front wheel bolts harder than I can remove. If I try to loosen with a wrench the whole assembly moves, and if I use two wrenches, one side will loosen but then I have no anchor point to undo the otherside, how to do I loosen the second bolt?
>>
File: iWXw8.jpg (28 KB, 500x332)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>1993421
I have no experience with BSOs, but perhaps you could adapt the cassette lockring technique which is to put the two levers in near-alignment, and then "squeeze" as shown. Both facing the same direction with one of them leaning against a step or something. This probably doesn't make any sense but I don't have an ipad so I can't draw it.
>>
>>1993432
that did the trick, cheers
>>
>>1993263
Thanks. That's really helpful.
>>
Bikebros needs your advice. I wanted to buy a 29' Vittoria Terreno XCR for my BobCat 5, but at the moment they are too expensive for me.
What would be a good alternative to these tires, but not tubeless and cheaper?
Please help, im just new to this and afraid that's tires will be too soft for the road.
>>
>>1993601
softness of the tire is based on pressure, tire casing, and volume.
Also, if you go 5-10 psi below max psi your tire will be hard unless you weigh 300lbs.

Oh, and for XC mtbing a michelin country racer looks good.
If you are talking mostly road and a little off road continental race king 29's would be good.
kenda small block 8 is a classic cheaper tire.

For more road a wtb byway could be good if you are looking for just side knobs.
Panaracer gravelking sk is similar.

Just look for something you like and try it out. Look for deals.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.