[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/mu/ - Music

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: hex.jpg (64 KB, 600x600)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
What is the equivalent to this album for other genres? Taking a big genre and completely flipping it until only traces of the original genre remain
>>
>>121820118
I think that album is a 10/10 but I have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>121820132
A lot of early 90s post-rock like Bark Psychosis or Disco Inferno feel like rock music but with all the parts stripped away or changed until its totally unrecognizable

There are millions of "experimental" bands which don't fit into any genre well, but I wanna know if there's a punk/jazz/hip hop etc. artist that does something like what these bands did to rock
>>
>>121820170
Miles Davis maybe did this with his post-Kind of Blue works being very influential and influenced by Rock in the same way Post-Rock artists were influenced by Electronic/Jazz. Emo Rap being next to nothing like past Hip-Hop yet having a lasting influence on its perception would probably be a better example
>>
>>121820118
Dude can't fucking sing
>>
>>121821100
Except he does on all tracks he appears on
>>
>>121821100
The whispering gets on my nerves a bit
>>
>>121821100
Check out the Scum EP. Guy has excellent chops, and it works.
>>
File: 1555246912823.jpg (260 KB, 1242x1388)
260 KB
260 KB JPG
>it's 3 am
>and there's nobody
>>
>>121821396
You got the lyrics wrong, but that is a chad moment for sure.
>>
File: a0573325391_65.jpg (61 KB, 700x700)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>>
>>121820118
Love this album. One of my top 10 of all time.
>>
>>121822217
Very true. Agree completely
>>
>>121822217
>>121823810
I'm surprised it has fewer than 50k listeners on spotify given how acclaimed it is.
>>
File: dangelo_voodoo_bsla.jpg (1.96 MB, 1500x1500)
1.96 MB
1.96 MB JPG
>>121820118
>>121820118
>Taking a big genre and completely flipping it until only traces of the original genre remain

Immediately came to mind. Took contemporary r&b and turned it into something different.
>>
>>121823826
This album is only for true music chads to enjoy
It's not something like Fishmans or Duster that will get coopted by plebs/normies
>>
>>121823826
Most great stuff is underrated. I think t's just that they released one (really two) albums, Mogwai nearly has 9x the listeners that Bark Psychosis has because they've kept on going from the beginning
>>121823861
Still R&B
>>
Is there a rap album as experimental as hex?
>>
>>121823877
>>121823937

Yes, I'm glad it hasn't been discovered by zoomers on TikTok or something.
>>
>>121823964
I think it's more so gen alpha we'll have to worry about but a huge wave of Duster-tier support will drive them to probably drop some stupid shit which would ruin their perfect discography
>>
>>121821396
That bass at the end of Big Shot FUCKING SLAPS
>>
>>121823955
Atrocity Exhibition, The Money Store, Clipping?
>>
>>121823937
Yeh and post rock is still rock, it's vastly different from the r&b released at the time
>>
>>121824044
idk, I still think those are not as experimental
money store is the most pop of DG records as well
>>
that Divine Styler record is as experimental as this tbqh, not as good but worth mentioning
>>
>>121823955
cLOUDDEAD
corrupt data
>>
>>121820903
yeah it's probably miles for inventing jazz fusion or ornette coleman for free jazz
>>
>>121824079
Post means to move past. Post-Rock therefore isn't Rock or it would be called Rock. Same would go for a hypothetical Post-R&B if it existed
>>121824112
You could get away with calling Hex Ambient for the most part. It's a great album but I'd object to any claim that it is the most experimental album or that there isn't even a Hip-Hop album that is more experimental than Hex, given rap can hardly be considered music while also being playable in a similar and convincing fashion. Run-DMC is more experimental
>>
>>121826005
I don't really believe in classifying genres that way
Yeah its much easier to just say "Oh if it has long spacey bits then it's ambient" but the point is the whole ethos of the album is rock, its nothing like the music Brian Eno was making and we all know it
Same applies to UIver or Maudlin of the Well/Kayo Dot's projects. When people claim Perdition City is an electronic album its really fucking lame because it misses the point of what UIver were doing. If you cant feel the very strong metal influences on those projects then you shouldnt be trying to classify music into genres

A major reason why early post-rock like Disco Inferno or Bark Psychosis are so cool, is because they got to this point from rock. Its not rock+ambient, it's not "ambient rock", its post rock. Autists on places like RYM are the ones who tend to obsess most over genre, which is ironic because they have by far the shittiest conception of how genres work. Its also why subgenres are (usually) retarded, because a genre has its own ethos that transcends individual artists. Like can you honestly justify "slowcore" being a thing? Its retarded. Same with dream pop. What Cocteau Twins were doing had 0 in common with what Jesus & Mary Chain were doing. Red House Painters were annoyed at getting grouped in with American Music Club because the 2 bands had nothing in common. These labels are for autists with a dire need to categorize shit that really cant be categorized.

There are only a tiny pool of real genres: Rock. Jazz. Hip hop. Soul. Metal. They have their own sounds, own ethos, own aesthetic, etc. The more you try to split from here, the more you mislead yourself.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.