[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/m/ - Mecha

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_4355.jpg (66 KB, 464x661)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
I mostly watch old stuff, but SRW convinced me into checking this one out. I enjoyed it. Now I’m wondering if there’s other good post-00s shows I missed. I’m in the mood for something more modern and by that I mean anything made the past 20 years.

How are the other Taniguchi shows? Except for Code Geass, I don’t think I would care for that one. I know it’s the same character design but it just looks ugly. And I don’t want anything that takes itself super seriously.
>>
>>22574124
By the way, I already watched most remakes of old IPs so not looking for stuff like Shin Mazinger or anything like that. I want to find something new.
>>
>>22574124
Most are worth watching, Active Raid is one of the worst anime ever made so avoid that one/save it for last.
>>
>>22574130
Care to elaborate? Implying you’re not duel or some other troll. I was interested in that one because I love Dekaranger and it has the same writer.
>>
>>22574124
Geass is the kind of show that presents you with absolutely retarded stuff with a straight face, like they unironically do an I AM SPARTACUS plan with a million Zero costumes
It's kinda like G Gundam in that way
Anyway, yes, Taniguchi's other stuff is average at worst. Back Arrow's a great show, Active Raid and ID-0 are decent and interesting, though I felt like they could have done a little more

Some other cool recent stuff I liked: Space Dandy, Samflam, Danball Senki, first half of Time Bokan 24, Digimon Xros Wars, Bravern

None of this stuff is super serious, I mean half of what I mentioned is straight up unambiguously for kids. But they still manage to be pretty fun.

Obviously watch Gravion and SRW OG Inspector too if you haven't already. I figured you'd know Obari, but I have to mention them just in case
>>
>>22574149
>first half of Time Bokan 24
They shit the bed in the second season or something? I watched most of the Tatsunoko revivals except for that one since it’s the longest by a large margin (save for the Yatterman remake, but that only has troll subs past a certain point.)
>>
>>22574133
It's a shitposter, Active Raid won the "token irrationally angry shitposter who hates the show forever" lottery that season.
>>
>>22574175
Yeah, I figured it. I looked for opinions in the archive and most of it is the same dude calling it “worst of all time” repeatedly. But the staff is good enough for it to be at least decent.
>>
>>22574174
Episodes got a lot more repetitive and formulaic in the second half, yeah
>>
>>22574124
Anything by Tomino or Ryosuke Takahashi will be good -- King Gainer, G-Reco, and FLAG are masterpieces. In terms of other seasonals, Shin Jeeg, Starship Operators, GR: Giant Robo, and 2004 Tetsujin 28 are all quite good. Some people like STRAIN, and Viper's Creed is basically an 80s OVA as a seasonal.
All the 2000s Leijiverse stuff is worth watching. Galaxy Railways in particular is good, and Ozma has Captain Charlock! Avoid the 2010s-onward Yamato remakes unless you love crappy CGI and Fukui fanfic (that said, Great Yamato No 0 is a good reimagining of the original series, and I liked the Resurrection movie from 2009).
For kids' shows, Gaiking 2005, Shinkalion, Drive Head, Earth Granner, Dendoh, the Unicron Trilogy, Beast Saga, Webdiver, RID 2001, Tri-Zenon, Astro Boy 2003, and Digimon Tamers are good -- Dendoh, RID 2001, Armada, Webdiver, Astro Boy 2003, and Tamers are particularly excellent.
>>
>>22574199
Not to mention that over half of the episodes in the second one are set in Japan and the ones that aren't often somehow still end up shoving something Japanese into it.
Yeah, complaining about Japanese shit in a Japanese cartoon sounds retarded but it's one of the things that makes the second half feel so repetitive, especially if you aren't particularly interested in that stuff.
>>
>>22574231
I specified it by the second post, but I already watched almost everything that was a remake of some old IP. And that includes any old creator making a come back as well. I will take a look at these other ones. I was always curious about Dendoh, but I don’t think there’s any subs for that one past the first few episodes.
>>
Fafner in the Azure, Godannar, Scryed, Brigadoon: Marin & Melan, Majin Bone if you're into animated toku, SD Gundam Sangokuden, and if you count shows that started in late 1999 and ended in 2000, Dai-Guard and Big O.

For adjacent media, both the Demonbane and Muramasa VNs are good. The Xros Wars manga is pretty good, Karakuridouji Ultimo is pretty alright, and Love Fighter Shuravan is enjoyable if you like toku.
>>
>>22574250
What the hell? The whole appeal of Time Bokan is that they travel to many different settings. Even when the series doesn’t feature any time travel, at least it offers some globetrotting adventure. That just sounds cheap.
>>
>>22574265
Forgot Granbelm, that one's also pretty good as long as you're cool with SD designs
>>
>>22574256
There are, but they're crabsticks. I personally thought they were readable.
>>
>>22574265
>Fafner
>Scryed
Damn, I wish I could look it past the Hirai faces. Not saying character design can ruin a series, but that shit just hurt my eyes.

I remember watching a bunch of Majin Bone in some random anime channel on PlutoTv and it looked cheap, but it was pretty alright. I remember liking the characters for the most part.
>>
>>22574124
Eureka seveN is great.
>>
>>22574321
I considered that since I like the designs. But I’m also watching Gundam X for the first time and I heard they’re very similar.
>>
>>22574321
>>22574326

Y'know what, I'll elaborate: at first, it comes off as kind of mundane in the first few episodes, but it's gearing up to get increasingly heavy as it goes on. It has some of that late Tomino energy, having a strange world with very emotional characters and an increasingly intense story.

Watching if off the back of Turn A, it feels very inspired by Gundam, but in an iterative way, not rehashing ideas but looking at them differently.
>>
>>22574327
How do you feel about the sequels? Every time I see someone bring up Eureka Seven, there’s always some talk about how the sequels should be avoided or shit all over what was established in the original series. I kinda want to give it a try, but maybe not while I’m in the middle of another “idealistic teenage boy meets mysterious girl” type of story for now.
>>
>>22574124
>Full Metal Panic (the mercenary stuff takes precedence over the high school shenanigans as the franchise goes on)
>Obsolete
>Gargantia
>>
>>22574231
>Webdiver
>>
>>22574327
>increasingly intense story.
what? That's my problem with the show, it feels like it's just fucking around for too long
>>
>>22574337
The sequels are weird. They're re-imaginings, not sequels.
>>
>>22574124
>Code geass
>Taking itself super seriously

The show swaps between being real robot, super robot and comedy every other episode. The plot is entertaining as fuck and the music is great too. Plenty of fanservice too.
>>
>>22574337
About every piece of media of the broader franchise that came after the original Eureka 7 TV series, with the notable exception of the PS2 games side-story duology, the PSP game and of course the SRW games, was made with the sole purpose of absolutely crushing the original E7 optimistic tone because the original director didn't like the happy ending.
>>
>>22575678
>because the original director didn't like the happy ending.
Edgelords are the worst
>>
>>22574133
Active Raid is so leisurely that it can be boring to a lot of people I think. I'd say give it a shot.

As for other Taniguchi stuff, Scryed is really fun and has a similar tone to GxS. Planetes is really good too. Geass is fun, and just revels in being very silly. I don't know if I'd call it "good" but i was definitely never bored watching it.

For some non Taniguchi 00's stuff there's of course the big ones like Eureka Seven, Rahxephon. I'd say check out some of the sillier shit like Engage Planet Kiss Dum, or Earth Maiden Arjuna.
>>
>>22575373
He's probably conflating the (outside of here) fanbase with the show itself
>>
>>22575373
>>22575846
Let's just say I'm skeptical about shows that became flavor of the season way too easily. Especially when comes to mecha. And what I've seen from SRW didn't impress me much either. Characters are always saying some sort of pseudo-philosophical crap in their dialogue. Only Kallen sounds somewhat like a fun character.
>>
>>22575965
Geass was about as "flavor of the season" as Evangelion, it spawned a franchise,dude
And English translated SRW isn't reliable since it doesn't have any of the TV shows plot
Geass is about a revenge obsessed prince who cosplays as Batman becoming the leader of a terrorist group while living a double life as a lazy school student who gets mixed up in plans to make giant pizzas. It's about the farthest thing from pretentious or "pseudo philosophical" as you can get

If you have the same disdain for that kind of writing that I do, stay away from Eureka Seven and especially Rahxephon, as both are jam packed with it
>>
>>22575988
I mean, I don't mind as long as there's more to it than just that or if it has a nice balnce between seriousness and more light-hearted moments. I just don't want to repeat a Casshern Sins scenario. That one was a dreadful experience to me.
>>
>>22576215
I liked Casshern Sins. It wasn't pseudo-philosophical; they were talking about an actual concept (how death or lack thereof affects people). Granted it did need to chill the fuck out and have some levity.
With some of the aforementioned shows it doesn't feel like there is an actual concept being discussed and the characters (or more likely the writers) are just huffing their own farts and trying to make you think they're smart.

But anyway, as mentioned, Geass isn't like that, it's just Gundam with a very hammy Char as the protagonist, and without anyone trying to form any kind of ideology over its equivalent of Newtypes. You'll know if it's your kind of show within the first two episodes
>>
>>22574265
S-Cry-Ed is oddly paced in that characters can barely finish the last syllable of a sentence before someone else immediately starts their own, and that lasts for the entire first half of the show. Even key dramatic moments get cut short by the series almost trying to rush itself. The second half of the series learns how to handle its pacing far better and benefits greatly as a result.
>>
>>22574231
I've heard people praise G-Reco, but when I recently watched those movies, the tone and pacing felt like messes. A prisoner policy at the start is so absurdly lax that the prisoner basically walks straight into a mobile suit and flies home, making her accompanying would-be guards hostages. The hostages then flip to fight for the people who kidnapped them in a flash with barely any explanation why or time for reflection. The tone of the first film's credits art is terrible considering that the movie ends with Aida deeply despising Bellri, and in addition to continuing pacing issues, the subsequent films can't seem to decide on what alliances have moral significance or lasting consequences. Some scenes also feature baffling physical movements alongside the dialogue too, like when Bellri is alone reflecting on a major piece of information he learns in the third film.

I don't want to say much more in case people similar to OP haven't seen it yet, but I wouldn't call G-Reco a masterpiece. Maybe the G-Reco TV show would be better, but I've heard a lot of these issues were true for that too.
>>
>>22578746
There's this jank throughout the whole thing that definitely takes patience to get past. I liked a bunch of later Taniguchi shows but Scryed just seemed awkward a lot of the time. Kazuma's return should have been such a simple scene yet they fumble the fuck out of it with the BGM timing. Stock footage got a tad distracting too. I don't regret watching it but, judging by GXS, it would have been significantly better if he directed it a few years later.
>>
Gigantic Formula is criminally overlooked.
>>
>>22578757
People talk as if the movie was a significant improvement over the tv series, which just felt rushed.
>>
>>22574124
Always consult the official chart.
>>
>>22574388
Look, the show itself, while not outstanding, is fine for all of it's parts (music, plot, characters and so on) EXCEPT THE CGI ANIMATION, and holy shit that is a very big sore point, specially given the awesome traditional animation present in the OPs. So your tolerance for very badly aged CGI that shows up constantly is gonna be a big factor here.
>>
>>22584302
The animation is literally the only point that matters. The story is not interesting, it's pretty much just an excuse to deliver the shitty fight scenes.
>>
>>22584359
I thought the story and setting were interesting. It may not be as rich as Digimon, but its story is still cream of the crop when it comes to these types of shows. How is being forced to fight your brainwashed friends and then go up against a monster of incomprehensible horror not interesting? It's certainly a lot better than the story in Might Gaine or Daigunder.
>>
>>22584359
Stop replying to duel.
>>
>>22584491
Just because he's taken a liking to Webdiver doesn't mean any anon who likes Webdiver is Duel. I certainly disagree with his "Webdiver is GaoGaiGar done right" idiocy -- GaoGaiGar outpaces Webdiver in almost every department, but that doesn't mean Webdiver is bad.
>>
>>22584491
sorry, he wasn't posting like Duel until his latest reply to me
>>
>>22584609
>>
This was a fun series IMO
>>
>>22585206
They’re pretty annoying in SRW 30. Always tried to skip their stages. Mecha are butffuck ugly as well.
>>
File: 1112.jpg (974 KB, 2000x1278)
974 KB
974 KB JPG
>>22574124
Sidonia is pretty nice.
>>
>>22585206
Shame it didn't had a more concrete sequel after the movie.
>>
>>22585206
I remember watching the first couple episodes of this when it aired and I bounced off it hard. Thought it was boring and generic looking. Sat down and watched the whole thing last summer and its one of my favorite shows now. Its got a really comfy vibe. My only major gripe is that I wish the villains got more screen time to build them out.
>>
>>22585243
>Izuru: Yeah. We did it, guys.
>Other Rabbits: You suck, Izuru.
>>22587180
I think I might have watched this years ago, but I don't remember anything about it.
>>
>>22574124
>And I don’t want anything that takes itself super seriously.
Code Geass
>>
>>22574124
>Except for Code Geass, I don’t think I would care for that one. I know it’s the same character design but it just looks ugly. And I don’t want anything that takes itself super seriously.
Motherfucker that show has an episode where the super genius mastermind terrorist leader has his secret identity mask stolen by a cat and he has to chase it around the school so that nobody figures out his secret identity
>>
>>22594369
Something people can never accuse CG of is lacking heart. I bet most people involved were having fun with it. The biggest upheaval on the entire show is a few repercussions and a bass line away from being a Seinfield segment.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.