[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/m/ - Mecha

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: v gundam.png (38 KB, 319x206)
38 KB
38 KB PNG
I just finished Victory Gundam and I really liked it, but I can't help think that it was much more dense than the previous Tomino shows in terms of ideals, symbolism and the overall message it was trying to convey, are there any in depth analysis of the show that explain or at least explore what the show had going for it? I'm a brainlet so I'd like to hear other people's opinions on the show to maybe understand it a bit better. Something like a blog rather than a shitty 40 minute video, or maybe just share what you guys think about it here.
>>
>>22570074
Victory still is the most raw Tomino show. Its just him having a breakdown and animating it, which is why he doesn't like it all. Despite that, there still is something warm about it, probably because of the how young the main cast is. Their world is falling apart but they still hope for the future.
>>
I fucking hate Shakti so much, her walking into the enemy base and Usou rescuing her by force is 90% of the plot
>>
>>22570094
That only happens as couple of times, it's really not an issue unless you speedwatch.
>>
>>22570084
Tomino is way more chill towards it since last year. He was very hesitant about revisiting it but once he did, he liked it. He thinks he succeeded in a lot of ways and openly admits without Victory, there would be no Reconguista. Those "DO NOT WATCH" interviews were from over a decade ago and hadn't watched it since it first aired.
>>
One thing I really loved about victory is how diverse the cast is, and I mean that in a serious way. With the resistance just being full of young people, old people, men and women it really feels like a proper desperate struggle, just pooling everybody who can do anything together. It really makes the final sacrifice of the Argama a lot more potent too, which is just one of the best scenes in all of Gundam.
>>
>>22570157
Yeah it has this community vibe to it, like they are all just people from a town that builds robots and has to fight the monarchy.
>>
>>22570074
My main complaint of Victory is that i thought the motives of Zanscare were a little vague, and the end a little confusing, but most of the show I really liked
>>
I think Victory is the perfect ending to UC Gundam, even without Turn A or G-Reco. It shows people who just want to live in peace standing up to those stuck on control and nostalgia for the past. They're ready to build a new future and leave behind those who won't change, though they're open to those who will. And overlooking them are the Gundams. There if they ever need them, but they probably won’t since they’re already rusting away.
>>
>>22570074
It's partially a commentary on women in the workplace to help you start out.
>>
>>22570266
>It's partially a commentary on women in the workplace
Explain.
>>
>>22570074
One of my favorite moment in Gundam
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDmL6NkoHxQ&t=900s
>>
>>22570293
Of course it's subservient to the theme of motherhood (which is the ACTUAL core message of the show) but a big part of the show's message is that while it's good there's strong working women, they also should be focused on being a good mother to children too.
>>
>>22570316
>Even the fake Jinn Gehennam, who was a bumbling idiot and a coward whose only role was to be a decoy, had ZERO hesitation to going down with the ship and letting the young ones live on and create a new future
Easily one of the greatest moments in any Gundam show by far. People talk a lot of shit about Victory but I'll always believe it is at the very least worth watching. Plus, going into Turn A after Victory just feels right to me.
>>
>hey i watched this but now i need someone to explain it to me

die screaming scum-sucker.
>>
>>22570811
But the feddies won because they had so many women working for them.
>>
>>22571883
You are just saying that because you can't explain it yourself.
>>
>>22570074
When does it get good? I don’t like dropping shows but I left it at episode 17 and I’ve yet to go back.
>>
>>22572109
Episode 1.
>>
>>22571976
Yeah. Women can work but they should also be a good mother too.
>>
>>22570157
>>22570178
I love how many scenes there are of Zanscare pilots realizing they're fighting a 12 year old and cursing out League Militaire over it. Even outside the famous one early on it happens a few more times across the show
>>
>>22570215
I felt the same way about Endless Waltz's ending
>there were no more wars and mobile suit weapons were never seen again
and then I found out about Frozen Teardrop and my day was ruined
>>
>>22572217
It happens almost every time.
>>
>>22570074
The themes in Tomino shows are always a little scattered and hard to bring together, but a pretty big focus was the concept of motherly love and motherhood, and the corruption thereof, like the Zanscare empire using capital punishment through the guillotine under the guise of the rule under motherly love, or Lupe trying to make Usso her son. It plays into how people bear the responsibility of raising the next generation that will save the world, which seems to be UC Gundams central theme.
I really like how, even though Usso becomes a super ace throughout the war, Marbet and the Shrike team never stop treating him with the gentle care and affection a child deserves. The scenes where they comfort him are some of the best. Even the last Shrike team members that die never stop feeling that they are responsible for protecting him, it really does a lot to balance the tone of the show.
>>
I love how both Marie and Cronicle could have actually survived if not for Katejina. Cronicle was pretty much close to a good person but ended up getting worst due to her. Marie is a victim being used and her Matriarchy doesn't even really exist. There's a real tragedy.

Katejina herself is a fucking devil, even at the start of the show, you only notice it more when rewatching things. Yet at the end, it's hard to not feel bad for her, she probably realize herself she's the cause of all her pain.
>>
>>22570074
>I can't help think that it was much more dense
I thought the complete opposite, probably one of Tomino's easiest shows to get.
>>
>>22572770
>easiest
this nigga has trouble watching cartoons
>>
>>22572705
I don't really understand why at the end they don't know who she is, is it because she has changed beyond recognition or are they just pretending because it'd mess up her brain if they remind her how much she fucked up?
>>
>>22572785
Karlmann was a baby last time he saw her, Shakti was probably just being kind.
>>
>>22572785
I think both Shakti and Katejina knows who they are, but both pretends they don't
>>
>>22570105
That doesn't change the fact that other than being a stupid damsel that needs rescuing, she is completely worthless to the story. You might as well cut her out of the show and almost nothing would change.
>>
>>22576984
That is except for the number of people killed due to her reckless stupidity.
>>
>>22572785
>>22572820
They did recognize each other at the end, that's why we see both Shakti and Katejina crying. They just didn't say anything to each other because there was really nothing that could be said.
>>
>>22576984
>>22577017
Just say you hate kids.
>>
The show isn't that deep. It's all surface level..
This is Gundam. Tomino wears his emotions on his sleeve.
Read more books.
>>
>>22572705
The novel made it even more obvious that she's a selfish bitch.

She did not give a shit about her family dying during the raid at the beginning of the story and tried to convince Usso to let Karlmann die when they found him in the city rubble while trying to evade Zancare's patrols.
>>
>>22572770
When I think back on it, Victory was pretty straight forward compared to some of other Tomino's works.
>>
>>22572770
I had a little bit of trouble understanding near the end there, but otherwise it was straight forward.
>>
>>22578919
Understanding what?
>>
>>22582613
I got a little bit lost around Uso's parents part.
>>
>>22582911
OK that sentence was a disaster.
To clarify, I mean I had a bit of trouble understanding the drama with Uso's parents.
>>
>>22582918
What drama? You mean when Uso realizes they trained him his whole life to be a pilot? Or when he wants his dad to recognize his efforts?
>>
>>22582990
Yeah around there.
>>
>>225771
The irony.
>>
File: ace pilot Uso Ewin.webm (2.67 MB, 720x540)
2.67 MB
2.67 MB WEBM
>>22582990
They didn't train him to be a pilot, but the Ewin family were definitely a bunch of innawoods survivalists who didn't want to rely on the Federation. The only thing they showed the parents teaching Uso was how to throw a knife.

When the parents left to go help the Feds fight against Zanscare, Uso was left alone to live at home. He did have an older MS simulator program on the computer in the attic of the family home cabin, but Uso played it more to kill time than as a specific training thing that his parents intended for him. When he gets into the Shokew's cockpit, he barely knows how to pilot it. When Uso finally meets each of his parents again during the series, both are surprised that he's become a pilot, but don't fight against the idea.
>>
>>22583458
Uso mentions his dad showed him how to use the MS simulator thing they had in the basement.
>>
>>22583458
I choose to believe hes chars grandkid
>>
>>22583467
Char is a virgin.
>>
Most retarded page 10 bump in history
>>
>>2258683
The level of lazy revisionism. Fuckers need try harder or get more creative with their bait.
>>
>>22572785
>I don't really understand why at the end they don't know who she is

Shakti and the Dog knew who she was, hence why the Dog was ready to mauled that bitch until Shakti stop him.

Katejina didn't realize who she was talking to until the moment she heard Karlman name and it trigger something in her mind that she is talking to Shakti and despite what Katejina had done to this poor kid, Shakti still try her best to help her and you can see Katejina voice started to crack and leave in a hurry because deep down she is still haunted by sin she had done to Shakti

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.